A checklist for players (new and old)

u12armresl

Verified Member
I was thinking something that would help players get better in one pocket.
Many times one pocket is compared to chess, and in chess furthering position is crucial.

So what about a guide from the members for things to think about when you are at the table.

Maybe the guide is broken down into sections Up or Down, Beginning or Endgame, or At all times.

For instance, when addressing the ball and preparing to shoot make sure that you attempt to either

Make a ball
Remove a ball from your opponents side and hide the CB
Move a ball close to your hole

The goal being that no one goes to the table just thinking I'll move this ball without trying to incorporate something else in with that like move an additional ball, or hide the CB, etc.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
A friend of mine gave me a small card years ago(that I still keep in my wallet) in a protective plastic for playing chess..

Five Finger Rule To Chess

1. Can I mate or be mated?
2. Is my queen threatened?
3. Is a minor piece threatened?
4. Is a pawn threatened?
5. Does this move give me a positional advantage or disadvantage?

The first few games of 1P I played, I thought I was doing ok on a few shots.. I'd knock a ball away and think I was special. :rolleyes: Then my side would get cleared, a ball(or more) would be set up next to his pocket and I'd be hooked. :eek:

Maybe something along the lines of..

1. Can I or my opponent run out on a fair chance?
2. Is either pocket vulnerable?
3. Where can a shot not be seen from?
4. Etc etc

Skin

Verified Member
I have one that I think gets overlooked a lot by intermediate players.

Is there a dead ball in the stack?

I've often been guilty of not checking and it sure is a deflater when you play a good safety only to have missed that dead ball for him. :eek:

Skin

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
its been a while since ive watched billy incardonas (vhs) on one pocket now available as dvd

but from memory it was the approach or what to think about as you approached the table that made it different from the vhs's (now dvd's) that show you shots
its available on freddy's site (plug for freddy and billy:) )
i highly recommend it
http://bankingwiththebeard.com/?p=294

Tramp Steamer

Verified Member
When I first size-up a shot, I too go through a mental check list.
1. Did I let the cat out when I left home.
2. (Burp!) No more Chicken-Gui for lunch.
3. That red-head over on table six is hot!
4. I sure hope I make this freakin' shot.

I think it helps. :)

u12armresl

Verified Member
I have Billy's video and all of Freddy's books, but don't remember seeing a list like the first poster put up similar to chess.

Can we elaborate and try to get a list worked up.

I like the is there a ball in the stack dead one.

lll said:
its been a while since ive watched billy incardonas (vhs) on one pocket now available as dvd

but from memory it was the approach or what to think about as you approached the table that made it different from the vhs's (now dvd's) that show you shots
its available on freddy's site (plug for freddy and billy:) )
i highly recommend it
http://bankingwiththebeard.com/?p=294

Weatherman

Verified Member
From
Atlanta, Ga.
u12armresl said:
I was thinking something that would help players get better in one pocket.
Many times one pocket is compared to chess, and in chess furthering position is crucial.

So what about a guide from the members for things to think about when you are at the table.

Maybe the guide is broken down into sections Up or Down, Beginning or Endgame, or At all times.

For instance, when addressing the ball and preparing to shoot make sure that you attempt to either

Make a ball
Remove a ball from your opponents side and hide the CB
Move a ball close to your hole

The goal being that no one goes to the table just thinking I'll move this ball without trying to incorporate something else in with that like move an additional ball, or hide the CB, etc.

First of all, thanks for starting this thread!

I have a general philosophy about one pocket shots which goes like this.

"Does the shot improve my position?"

How do you improve your position?

The list you have is a good start.

The most obvious way to improve your position is to make balls. (See John Schmidt... "Mr 400" becomes "Mr 8 and out" during the finals of his Derby City One Pocket win)

Move a ball close to your hole. This becomes even more powerful the better you can protect.

Move / Remove balls which are a threat FOR your opponent. remember, balls don't have to be "CLOSE" to their hole....to be a threat.

The more of these things you can accomplish on a given shot, the better!

You did leave out one very, VERY important option.

SURVIVE!

I can't tell you how many games I've seen played by top players who were behind 6 or 7 to minus 2 that came back to win the game by either taking one more foul or even, (in the case their opponent has 6 balls) making their seventh ball and putting them on the hill.

Proof that no matter the score, you can win, if you have the will...TO SURVIVE!

bstroud

Verified Member
The list is very simple.

1. Can I make a ball in my pocket and get position?

2. If not, how can I move the most balls toward my pocket and leave the cue ball in a tough position?

3. If I can not do 1 or 2, how can I play the best safety and leave the cue ball in the best place possible.

These rules have served me very well for the last 50 years.

Bill Stroud

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Something to 'tink about

Something to 'tink about

What should we 'tink about last? Or where do we place our attention/focus/concentration last? If I am shooting at a shot that is relatively easy to make, the thought process should run like this, analyze the shot and the required position. Program whatever you need to make the ball, then factor in the speed and the hit you need to make on the cueball to get perfect position. However you handle that process is not super important -- as long as you do do it.

What is important is the order in which you keep your attention/focus/concentration on. In the above example, since making the ball is easy enough, you direct less attention to the execution of it, and more attention to controlling the path and destination of the cue ball. In other words, the last thing your attention should be centered on is the path of the cue ball -- not the path of the object ball. Stay down and hold that attention pattern until the cue ball comes to a rest. That's how you can stop the cue ball on a dime.
This is extra strong playing one pocket when you have to shoot so many shots where you are not trying to pocket a ball, but rather to play safe or make a move.

However, the above process is not a good idea if just pocketing the ball is difficult enough. Now you do the opposite. Position becomes secondary, and the majority of your attention is directed to pocketing the ball. Contrary to above, the last thought/ focus/ attention/ concentration is directed to, and maintained until the ball drops, the pocketing of the object ball. You would have already programmed position into the shot and you just allow it to occur. Just as in the first example where you program in the making of the ball and you allow it to occur, but your final concentration is directed to position.

Two glitches to look out for: With your concentration and intent set to either pocket the ball or get perfect position, your untrained, undiscipled concentration may falter and stray to the extent that your eyes drift to either move to the pocket you are shooting at, or to try and follow the path of the cue ball. Both habits are stiffs. Practice them out of your procedures.

Tell 'em where you got it.

Beard

Last edited:

Ken_4fun

Verified Member
Well I am still a pup in one pocket.

I try to do the above, but I try to thing one or two moves ahead (like chess).

ie...is there a way that I can position a ball or position a cueball in such a way that I can get a ball near the spot or my pocket and the other player frozen or locked up.

An example is when I can make a ball that gets spotted and position the cueball where it cannot be hit. This is especially true if the opposing player has balls tied on the longrail.

This seems to be "game changers" and allows me to be successful often.

I play into this situation often.

ken

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
I have found that trying to think two moves ahead is usually a waste of time for me. Too often the other guy does not do what I thought he should, or he doesn't do it like I thought he would. My game plan changes with every trip to the table.

In selecting a shot (assuming I have more than one option), I try to imagine how I would like it if I found myself in the spot I'm planning to leave him. I like to make him frown and scratch his head and elevate his cue.

John Brumback

Verified Member
vapros said:
I have found that trying to think two moves ahead is usually a waste of time for me. Too often the other guy does not do what I thought he should, or he doesn't do it like I thought he would. My game plan changes with every trip to the table.

In selecting a shot (assuming I have more than one option), I try to imagine how I would like it if I found myself in the spot I'm planning to leave him. I like to make him frown and scratch his head and elevate his cue.

Shannon Daulton says that every time you step to the table It's a new game
and new shot.I think your saying the same thing,sounds like.John B.

Skin

Verified Member
I guess I'll add another one that I think is important.

cb leave is not entirely about not leaving the other guy a shot or move. It's also about protecting balls by your hole. What's so great about a leave where he can clear balls from your hole that might have taken you two or three shots to get there?

Protect, protect, protect, always.

Skin < has learned a lot from losing :rolleyes:

u12armresl

Verified Member
With all due respect Bill, the list is not Simple. There are a lot of things you can and cannot do.

bstroud said:
The list is very simple.

1. Can I make a ball in my pocket and get position?

2. If not, how can I move the most balls toward my pocket and leave the cue ball in a tough position?

3. If I can not do 1 or 2, how can I play the best safety and leave the cue ball in the best place possible.

These rules have served me very well for the last 50 years.

Bill Stroud

u12armresl

Verified Member
Yes, the protect aspect seems underrated.

So how should this list be, a piece of paper, a flow chart, what?

Skin said:
I guess I'll add another one that I think is important.

cb leave is not entirely about not leaving the other guy a shot or move. It's also about protecting balls by your hole. What's so great about a leave where he can clear balls from your hole that might have taken you two or three shots to get there?

Protect, protect, protect, always.

Skin < has learned a lot from losing :rolleyes:

Skin

Verified Member
u12armresl said:
Yes, the protect aspect seems underrated.

So how should this list be, a piece of paper, a flow chart, what?

Probably should be written on $50 bills. You wouldn't want to lose them. :D

Skin

Skin

Verified Member
Here's another one from my bag of errors.

When you know it will be the last shot of your inning, check to see if any balls need to spot up.

The leave was great!...except for that ball that spotted up. ;)

Skin

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
theres an old saying
learn from your mistakes
skin thank you for sharing your learning
:)
(there is no sarcasm in my post.sincerely written)

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Skin said:
Here's another one from my bag of errors.

When you know it will be the last shot of your inning, check to see if any balls need to spot up.

The leave was great!...except for that ball that spotted up. ;)

Skin

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. :D
Rod. <--------has lots of experience.