526 balls for Willie...37 banks for Eddie

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
Tennessee...Kentucky...Ohio.

I hate to be a knocker (the scourage of the racket) but if you're going to hustle banks, you better scratch these states off your triptick. Those cats are born saying "Cross the side". When I traveled with Eddie Taylor it was a different story. In my DVD, EDDIE TAYLOR AND THE LEGENDS OF POOL, I composited 37 of his banks to show you what his record would look like.
I love it in the video when Eddie says "Just hit every bank a normal speed", as he smacks one across the side hard enough to squash a coconut.

I produced this documentary years back then shelved to concentrate on my rug business. Now that I'm back in the thick of the pool fray, I'm bringing it back. It's two hours and five minutes long. I paid extra for the extra long production because I couldn't find five minutes of it that I was willing to let go.
I also kept the price low to keep Eddie's memory around.

PM me if you're interested, and...keep it nice. Alfie

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Ahem....

Ahem....

Tennessee...Kentucky...Ohio.

I hate to be a knocker (the scourage of the racket) but if you're going to hustle banks, you better scratch these states off your triptick. Those cats are born saying "Cross the side". When I traveled with Eddie Taylor it was a different story. In my DVD, EDDIE TAYLOR AND THE LEGENDS OF POOL, I composited 37 of his banks to show you what his record would look like.
I love it in the video when Eddie says "Just hit every bank a normal speed", as he smacks one across the side hard enough to squash a coconut.

I produced this documentary years back then shelved to concentrate on my rug business. Now that I'm back in the thick of the pool fray, I'm bringing it back. It's two hours and five minutes long. I paid extra for the extra long production because I couldn't find five minutes of it that I was willing to let go.
I also kept the price low to keep Eddie's memory around.

PM me if you're interested, and...keep it nice. Alfie

Alfie, I think you have spent too much time with DuckBrain. Conspicuous by it's absence it a mention of Chicago on your banking tour. Aside from the main character in your video, Eddie Taylor, almost everybody else from, Tenn, Ky, and Ohio, that came thru Chicago and played us bumps got broke. If you would chance to peruse my notorious Beat List you will notice a plethora of bank victims from the aforementioned areas.
Matter of fact, until I finally broke the curse in the early 70s, no white player had ever won on the South Side besides Eddie Taylor and Clem Metz.

(All that rhetoric aside, I am super hot for the DVD)

Beard

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i think i can speak for many that entered for a chance to win the dvd
(although noone gave me permision to do so...:eek:)
that if not a lucky winner will probably buy the dvd

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Alfie, I think you have spent too much time with DuckBrain. Conspicuous by it's absence it a mention of Chicago on your banking tour. Aside from the main character in your video, Eddie Taylor, almost everybody else from, Tenn, Ky, and Ohio, that came thru Chicago and played us bumps got broke. If you would chance to peruse my notorious Beat List you will notice a plethora of bank victims from the aforementioned areas.
Matter of fact, until I finally broke the curse in the early 70s, no white player had ever won on the South Side besides Eddie Taylor and Clem Metz.

Beard

Freddy, will you PUHLEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE stop bragging about Chicago...I have heard numerous times, that most of the really GOOD players, were too smart to even to go there, for various and sundrea reasons....Beat list, or no beat list !.. Very few feared the games they could get, it was the OTHER stuff..:eek: :confused:

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Very dangerous

Very dangerous

Freddy, will you PUHLEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE stop bragging about Chicago...I have heard numerous times, that most of the really GOOD players, were too smart to even to go there, for various and sundrea reasons....Beat list, or no beat list !.. Very few feared the games they could get, it was the OTHER stuff..:eek: :confused:

Yeah sure, Bensingers and the South Side were very dangerous, unlike the very "safe" Texas spots like the Cotton Palace with stick up guys like Charlie Boyd waiting for you in the bathroom.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Yeah sure, Bensingers and the South Side were very dangerous, unlike the very "safe" Texas spots like the Cotton Palace with stick up guys like Charlie Boyd waiting for you in the bathroom.

Beard

I felt safe in Dallas or Houston, (or anywhere in the south) because... A;.. I made it a point to know the right people. And B;.. I didn't do anything but give them all a square shake. If your criteria for your "secret society" means you had to emulate Detroit Whitey (who I see is a charter member on your list), then you are correct, I would NOT want to be on it, nor would Richie Florence have wanted to...Being a 'hard core" hustler/thief/scam artist,... was never a plateau, we thought, was a "step up"..To each his own, I guess..!

As Alfie will tell you, my first victim in Dallas, was U.J Puckett, with Jack Terry, and I think Jack Taylor (Alfs brother) staking him...Utley was not a happy camper... I was all alone, and did not know what a bad spot I could have been in...I admit to being a little naive, I thought every place was like Cochran's and the Tropicana...(used to be) You lost, you paid off, you won, you got paid AND you got to keep it...:p.

I learned the ropes pretty fast though, and never had to resort to any of that 'extracuricular' sh*t...I wouldn't have been any good at it anyway...Give me a little credit though, I survived 50 years of RA, didn't I ?..And HE ain't no f**king 'day at the beach'.. :eek: :p :p

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Adding words and new meanings again

Adding words and new meanings again

I felt safe in Dallas or Houston, (or anywhere in the south) because... A;.. I made it a point to know the right people. And B;.. I didn't do anything but give them all a square shake. (A square shake counted for nothing in the bathroom with Charlie Boyd) If your criteria for your "secret society" means you had to emulate Detroit Whitey (who I see is a charter member on your list), then you are correct, I would NOT want to be on it, nor would Richie Florence have wanted to...Being a 'hard core" hustler/thief/scam artist,... was never a plateau, we thought, was a "step up"..To each his own, I guess..!

Where did I say you would have to emulate Detroit Whitey? Where do I say hard-core hustling is a "step-up?" I did say, however, that acceptance of the other members was an essential. So you have just reconfirmed the reasons for the exclusion of you and Richie Florence. :heh
Always remember what Groucho Marx once said, "I wouldnt want to be in a club that would have me as a member."

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
I felt safe in Dallas or Houston, (or anywhere in the south) because... A;.. I made it a point to know the right people. And B;.. I didn't do anything but give them all a square shake. (A square shake counted for nothing in the bathroom with Charlie Boyd) If your criteria for your "secret society" means you had to emulate Detroit Whitey (who I see is a charter member on your list), then you are correct, I would NOT want to be on it, nor would Richie Florence have wanted to...Being a 'hard core" hustler/thief/scam artist,... was never a plateau, we thought, was a "step up"..To each his own, I guess..!

Where did I say you would have to emulate Detroit Whitey? Where do I say hard-core hustling is a "step-up?" I did say, however, that acceptance of the other members was an essential. So you have just reconfirmed the reasons for the exclusion of you and Richie Florence. :heh
Always remember what Groucho Marx once said, "I wouldnt want to be in a club that would have me as a member."

Beard

Not saying a "Charlie Boyd" incident. couldn't have happened to me. But his exploits were really quite rare and far apart, as he spent most of his time "incarcerated"....Oddly enough, I've only been heisted twice in my life, both times were in Arizona..I got the money back, (Thanks to Tony Sprague) on one of them...By the way, Tony was the epitome of your 'qualiifications' kinda like a Phx. version of "Sugar Shack".... And no, you didn't say it in exactly those words, but your fascination, and dare I say "respect", for the most 'seedy' of the "secret society", left very little to the imagination. I also think you overloaded your list, with some who may not have "fit in" to your LOFTY qualifications....And yes, Groucho was a very wise man..:p :p :p

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
This members forum is the nuts, and you guys have made my day, and I love the way you guy's are playing. At this point I put the Beard in front by a game..say in a race to 5 the Beard would be ahead 2 to 1.:) But as resilient of a player that you are Dick, i'm guessing that you'll make a charge at him and this session could go either way. But i've been wrong before, just ask the Beard.

OOPS, SORRY, THIS IS THE BANK POOL FORUM

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member

Beard

A THOUSAND PARDONS, my bearded friend. As a lightweight player, I avoided Chicago so was not well informed. Consider me set straight.

I did visit Chi Town in my later career and had an exhibition and sale with the help of your nice mayor, Richard Daley. Raised a fortune for a childrens hospital in Casablanca. The mayor stuck with the project from going to Morocco to buy things to sell, to taking seventy thou in cash and one point two million dollars worth of, donated by Chicagoans, medical supplies and equipment to Morocco. This move opened a premie care unit where there wasn't one. Good straight shot for Chicago and Mayor Rick.
Keep it nice. Alfie

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member
i think i can speak for many that entered for a chance to win the dvd
(although noone gave me permision to do so...:eek:)
that if not a lucky winner will probably buy the dvd

Of course you are welcome. Good luck, my friend.
Keep it nice. Alfie

Alfie Taylor

Verified Member

Beard

Sir Beard. I really don't like to correct you but Mr. Boyd didn't wait in the bathroom to rob people. He robbed you in the open and made you wait in the bathroom until he had his coffee and counted his money. I know, I was around him daily for years...and yes, he robbed me too. Charlie just couldn't...
Keep it nice. Alfie

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Sir Beard. I really don't like to correct you but Mr. Boyd didn't wait in the bathroom to rob people. He robbed you in the open and made you wait in the bathroom until he had his coffee and counted his money. I know, I was around him daily for years...and yes, he robbed me too. Charlie just couldn't...
Keep it nice. Alfie

Alfie, l like the story about Charlie Boyd (in your book) that time he couldn't go in the Cotton Bowl, cause the cops were looking for him...So he robbed some guy he knew, over the phone ! :p .....I believe you said he called from a phone booth across the street, and told the guy he wouldn't make it to his car, if he didnt bring him some money, right now..:eek:

I think some one pointed him out to me once, but thanks for never introducing us..:p

PS..Hey Beardo,...Charlie sounds like he would be a shoo-in for your "Secret Society"..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
...wasting your time

...wasting your time

Alfie, l like the story about Charlie Boyd (in your book) that time he couldn't go in the Cotton Bowl, cause the cops were looking for him...So he robbed some guy he knew, over the phone ! :p .....I believe you said he called from a phone booth across the street, and told the guy he wouldn't make it to his car, if he didnt bring him some money, right now..:eek:

I think some one pointed him out to me once, but thanks for never introducing us..:p

PS..Hey Beardo,...Charlie sounds like he would be a shoo-in for your "Secret Society"..:rolleyes:

...I think you're wasting your time. You would be better served to start making wine with all those "sour grapes" you have been oozing. :sorry

Beard

Maybe you can make some of that cheap champagne imititation, Cold Duck!

SJDinPHX

Suspended
...I think you're wasting your time. You would be better served to start making wine with all those "sour grapes" you have been oozing. :sorry

Beard

I don't know what 'sour grapes' you are babbling about..? :confused:... I was't going to do this, but I have decided to put you and Ghoates, OUT of the pool shirt business..I will even have nice tank tops for the ladies (my biggest fan base)..Estimated unit sales first year 40,000..:sorry

View attachment 5763

Sorry, she's facing the wrong way to see the 'I heart SJD'
View attachment 5764

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member

Beard

These posts are funny as hell to me. We use to drink the hell out of some Cold Duck. And that Charlie Boyd story in the book is great. Remember the dude calls back after he had already brought the money and said 'now bring me my gun over here please. Charlie needs to borrow that also and then he inadvertently sets off his car alarm and starts ripping wires out of his own car so it wouldn't upset Mr. Boyd. God I got a laugh out of that one. I can honestly say I Never was around anyone that could strike fear in a person like that. I still remember Dr. Bill relating that story about the mild mannered Steve Cook getting robbed. He asked the robber 'are you just going to take all my money?' The guy says yes. You got the idea. Steve replys 'well ok for you then'

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
These posts are funny as hell to me. We use to drink the hell out of some Cold Duck. And that Charlie Boyd story in the book is great. Remember the dude calls back after he had already brought the money and said 'now bring me my gun over here please. Charlie needs to borrow that also and then he inadvertently sets off his car alarm and starts ripping wires out of his own car so it wouldn't upset Mr. Boyd. God I got a laugh out of that one. I can honestly say I Never was around anyone that could strike fear in a person like that. I still remember Dr. Bill relating that story about the mild mannered Steve Cook getting robbed. He asked the robber 'are you just going to take all my money?' The guy says yes. You got the idea. Steve replys 'well ok for you then'

My previous wife and I started drinking Cold Duck, after 1 1/2 bottles she wanted to fight. The only thing that saved her was body weight. After we finished the 2nd bottle she'd pass out. after the 3rd bottle I was ready to knock her out, but she was already out.:frus

A little trivia, Charlie Boyd's brother (Bobby) was a defensive back for the World Champion Baltimore Colts.
Rod

Jimmy B

Verified Member
My previous wife and I started drinking Cold Duck, after 1 1/2 bottles she wanted to fight. The only thing that saved her was body weight. After we finished the 2nd bottle she'd pass out. after the 3rd bottle I was ready to knock her out, but she was already out.:frus

A little trivia, Charlie Boyd's brother (Bobby) was a defensive back for the World Champion Baltimore Colts.
Rod

That's bringing back memories. He must have been one tough hombre. I was 17 and had been drinking Falstaff beer. I always had it in the can upside down and opened with a church key so I would not get it mixed up with anyone elses drink. We were all going to a teenage meet (meat) market call The Chicken Shack in Seneca SC. I told these guys I wanted to change up and drink something else. Somebody recommended something called Orange Tommy. I got a bunch of it and it tasted weak and fruity going in. I got totally blind drunk off of it and still remember the heaving I did. I tell you that methadone or heroin withdrawals were a breeze compared to that next day. It was absolutely brutal. I never fought with my girls. If they were that type, I would discard them but we would talk strange to each other like in the old Hazlewood song. He sure was a talent. Of course if I was doing Nancy Sinatra I could write some good tunes also. Maybe. Naw I doubt It. If I could just have my one song like City Of New Orleans or River Deep. oh well

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udhAqeG-na0[/ame]