500 balls a week

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
How much do you have to be loser before you can quit ?

The young guy said "You can't quit I'm loser"
The old guy said "Of course you're loser, you're playing Minnesota Fats"

I've quit loser many times, when someone quits winner I feel they've probably done me a favor.

Anybody can quit at any time, If there's no prior agreement.
Just ask Dennis Orcola or whatever his name is. :)
Rod.
P.S. Try to not get loser.
You're a pretty cool guy Rod, I like your style. One can learn a lot from you, I have.

Dr. Bill

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
I haven't played 1 pocket long and haven't played much of anything lately, but I found that after getting into one pocket, I jumped a few balls quick. Its like its easy for a golfer to start shooting in the 80's, but much tougher to make the jump to the 70's. Some people think I play good one pocket, but they don't get to see real one pockets players like Cliff, that gave me 12-5 and beat me at Tunica. Of course I would look at that game again and he beat me two sets and quit. I have never quit anyone winner and I'm from the old school that only the loser can quit. Good luck with your game. I wanted to add, he said he needed some sleep, but the nitty bastard stayed there for two more hours.

I like the comparison to golf. I know I'm just scratching the surface to One Pocket. I'm still watching all the matches I can online while trying to learn different things to try. I'm practicing all the common shots that come up all the time. And I'm trying to play more and more players that are better than me so I can keep learning. Once I plateau on the stuff I'm working on now, I will probably take lessons from this really good One Pocket player in my area (right now he spots me 10-5). But I am determined to keep improving because I love this game!

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
Banking

Banking

About a week later and still keeping with lots of practice. This past week was more work on One Pocket than bank pool, but still banked a lot of balls. My One Pocket games coming along nicely. My cue ball control on banks is improving a lot which is great for bank pool and one pocket. Playing a friend in Banks, I'm getting better and better at taking an aggressive bank and not leaving him a good/easy shot.

piggybank04

Verified Member
thats what its all about--lets face it--anybody can bank, its easy .....but to bank a ball, make it and go 3 rails for shape,well, thats a different matter altogether......you do that consistently, youve got a nice advantage......

backplaying

Verified Member
I like the comparison to golf. I know I'm just scratching the surface to One Pocket. I'm still watching all the matches I can online while trying to learn different things to try. I'm practicing all the common shots that come up all the time. And I'm trying to play more and more players that are better than me so I can keep learning. Once I plateau on the stuff I'm working on now, I will probably take lessons from this really good One Pocket player in my area (right now he spots me 10-5). But I am determined to keep improving because I love this game!

I have a local player that plays 2 balls under Cliff, most know him as roadman, that gives me 11-7 and I have only won a couple of times out of 7 plays, and he works 5 days a week. There are many levels in the speed of one pocket players. This same player though wouldn't give a guy 10-6 and the break for 100 a game, even though I beat the guy giving him 9-6 and the break. Hard to figure some people out. He actually told me he thought it was to tough of action. Back to making a jump, Little D made a 4 ball jump by living with some good one pocket players for 2 years. He went from getting beat playing a guy getting 10-7 to beating him even. Playing good players is the best way to make that jump.

WhatWouldWojoDo

Verified Member
I do appreciate all the tips and advice everyone's given.

Everyone seems to say 'Play better players' and 'Play for money' are 2 ways to improve. I am trying to play better players, but most of the time the better players either want to play for money or not at all. In one poolhall I hang out at, there is a pretty strong one pocket player that would play me for real cheap. I found out the guy teaches and charges really cheap (cheaper than what I'd lose to him over a 2 hour period) I signed up for some lessons.

Other than Lessons, Practice, Watching Videos (and better players), and cheap gambling, What else am I missing on trying to improve my game?