5 rack game?

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
So it happened today, I ran a 42 using Corey Deuel's finesse break. LOL- But Wow, finally did it. Just didn't think I would need so many combos to keep the runs going. It truly is a crazy game.

Whitey, please stop challenging us, I'm exhausted and will be resting for a while. It's catkins's and your turn now, and all the rest of you...get to work. I wish you all the best rolls. 💪💪👍🤞🤞 (Chris, your table is so tough 34 would be my 40)

Sweet run

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks for the new break, Whitey.

I tried this break several times. The 1st 3 attempts the QB went forward and ran into the 2nd and third ball very early leaving me with no shot. Thinking I hit the head ball too full I cut it a little more away from my pocket, the QB ended up along the bottom short rail again with no shot. I did have some success after a few more attempts, but not consistently. What am I doing wrong?
Dave,
I elevate the cue 10-15 degrees and hit the cb just above center, aim to hit the head pretty full, and you will need to use some force to get the cb to pause.
When the cb keeps rolling to foot rail on me it is because I am not using enough force. Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/P7PbqYVj6fDuXb6x7 This video shows how important patterns are, making the ball you should make, and just how brutal this game can be. But I enjoyed this set just the same, and it lets me know where I am at right now. I have been doing so many breaks, that I have been neglecting working just on pocketing and positioning skills.
My daughter from up north Oregon came down to get out or the smoke, and happened to call me and thus my phone stopped videoing after 4 racks.
17 for 4.
Billy Jackets, I need your honest critique, although the angles appear different in the video vs. from what I am actually shooting. thanks guys! Whitey

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
https://photos.app.goo.gl/P7PbqYVj6fDuXb6x7 This video shows how important patterns are, making the ball you should make, and just how brutal this game can be. But I enjoyed this set just the same, and it lets me know where I am at right now. I have been doing so many breaks, that I have been neglecting working just on pocketing and positioning skills.
My daughter from up north Oregon came down to get out or the smoke, and happened to call me and thus my phone stopped videoing after 4 racks.
17 for 4.
Billy Jackets, I need your honest critique, although the angles appear different in the video vs. from what I am actually shooting. thanks guys! Whitey
Loved the commentary! You hit several great stroke shot, a few not so much and got a couple bad rolls. We can all relate. Thanks for posting again.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
that has been my day to day I spent hours running 3s with perfect breaks and decided I need at least 2 days of no pool to let my self relax. Thank you for posting this as it reminds me we all struggle and yet all are capable of such greatness

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JA23qqNSLHob46fs5
1st rack; need to shore up my draw, ended up having to back the 9.
2nd. rack; the importance of coming off the rail becomes very relevant in this game. So this game develops this.
3rd rack; I was actually at 14 ball count
4 rack, last shot ate me up alive! Had scratch looming in far corner.
5th rack; that was the best break. Came up short on positioning off the 3, probably should of played to go into side rail and off. Then I poked the last shot trying to soft roll with extreme english, ate me up alive!

Proper count 23. Obviously could of had more, but I think in also showing these videos vs. videos where you get high 20's and into 30's and so forth, this shows all the pit falls you can experience in this game and just how precision you have to be to run those balls.
Enjoy, Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
That was really funny!!!! Young's follies, no doubt! thanks, I got a good laugh out of that!

That is deserving of a beer. Whitey
The interesting thing was that the set I played using your break before my -1 started with 24 after 3 racks, then a 0 and a -1 for a total of 23. I thought it may be a big one, but nooooooo.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
17 for 4.
Great Breaking, nice patterns ,very good shot making , except with inside.
You are jumping up a bit on the tough shots, again, lack of play and confidence, Nobody gets away with that , I watched a match between Efren and Scott from about 2016, Efren was jumping more in that match than I saw in the rest of his career, even he was missing relatively common shots! The ones you missed were because of tough shape on the next ball mostly, but thats when we really need to stay down.
I also think you might be bumping into the stack too much when you aren't trying to spread balls , it cost you a potential big run in the 3rd or 4th rack and you had plenty of space to control the cueball , sometimes we take for granted the balls will spread, but they don't always. It's the old saw of not hitting unnecessary balls when playing shape. You guys are all fine players, our ages , lack of practice and physical problems are all enemies at this stage, One young guy told me he didn't like my stroke and I said "I don't like it either, but it's all I can do, with my shoulder and back all torn up." All we can do is make the most of it. I'm going to try to do a set, as soon as my back quits screaming, I will undoubtedly be yipping, dogging steering lol I havent hit 20 balls in the last year , but it will still be fun.

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks Billy Jackets for coaching me! I needed it to be said. This morning I worked on keeping my head down until the ob went into the hole.
In the 1st rack I cut the 14 and wanted to come into the 7, but I noticed I lifted up which in fact could of effected my stroke and thus the cb did not react as I wanted it. 2nd Rack, I noticed I had options of patterns, whether to work the balls down table first then work it back.
Stack play I am learning to read better and am trying to make my decisions as to whether or to go into them to break them up at that point or to wait. Plus when going into them it has to be exact.
In playing Vern Peterson straight pool, he stated to me when going into a cluster to open it up you have to know where every ball is going. This game is starting to bring that talent back.
I think Dave, Catkins and myself are doing so many breaks and re-racks that our pocketing skills in general is going down. This game does exemplifies my short comings, and thus it gives you a good sense of what to work on. I am a believer that for every miss shot there is a reason. I am now working on the shots that I have been missing.

One thing I really like about this game, it has got me to focus and want to make the shots, but it also helps with combinations for they come up a lot.
My stroke is off and out of sink as you pointed out, I now realize this because I am seeing a pause in my stroke which I do not want and is uncharacteristic for me. I believe I am pausing the stroke for I just am unconfident in my shot making abilities, and thus pausing to check the shot further. I will work on this to get it out of my game.

I'd like you to continue to critique my 5 racks, you are very good at pointing out the areas I need to work on! thanks, Whitey

Catkins, thanks for the video, it is very good of you to show the viewers the harsh reality of this game, and just how much precision this game demands.

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6ZQLpKUNQGz8vGXp8

Billy Jackets this is how I am going to go about correcting my bad habits. Videoing taping for my own use and re-viewing. Hopefully in doing this then the next 5 rack video I will then have those unwanted habits cleaned up.
I noticed I had bridge hand movement. I paused my stroke a few times. I am not doing a pre-shot routine very well. Mr3c book really help me realize that the pre-shot routine is so important so I developed a similar routine that he uses, and it really improved my shot making. Keith McCready used this method, very methodical pre-shot routine but when he got down it was 2 -3 stroke, I recall this from the 80's.
I want to pre-stroke in the air and then bring the cue directly down onto the cue ball on target. Now I am bringing the cue down along side the cue ball and then pull back into position.
Your critique of this video welcomed! On the first shot I was considering in shooting it to double out of the corner two rails to lay on those two stripes. In cutting the 10 with draw I wanted to just nick the 15 and get shape on it. It now appears in reviewing I could of drawn down to the head rail and back. These are things I need to consider instead of having my focus so narrow minded. thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I have decided to use this drill to slw my shooting down and not shoot till I pick patterns or shots. I feel like I shoot well enough snd bank well and move decent but where I feel my game suffers is i do not allow my self enough time to pick the correct shot all the time.