5 rack game?

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
how you start off running this rack!
I'm looking at that five ball group first. keeping in mind the 11 and 6 as rescue balls if needed.

I'm thinking the 8, slide over to the other side of the 4 to draw off it for the 3, then play the 7-9 combo, 7, 2 and see what the table looks like from there.

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA
3 ball, bump the 7 as little as possible. Draw from the 9 to bump the 10 into playability. 2 is next followed by the 4 or 6.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
As you guys work through this, what is interesting to me is the position of the balls and how they got there. I rack the balls the same each time so I can track their movement. The outside row from spot to corner ball I have, 15,8,3,4,5. on the pocket side.
The 9 ball is rack final row next to the 5 corner ball. Therefore, apparently with this frontal assault on the rack the 9 ball then goes straight back into the foot rail and comes back into the stack, thus we see the position of the 3,7,8 a little higher than normal and popped out well, and the 4 ball as well.
It appears the 9 ball did some huge favors.
I'll try to recreate this somewhat and get it video taped to see what is exactly going on. Whitey

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
As you guys work through this, what is interesting to me is the position of the balls and how they got there. I rack the balls the same each time so I can track their movement. The outside row from spot to corner ball I have, 15,8,3,4,5. on the pocket side.
The 9 ball is rack final row next to the 5 corner ball. Therefore, apparently with this frontal assault on the rack the 9 ball then goes straight back into the foot rail and comes back into the stack, thus we see the position of the 3,7,8 a little higher than normal and popped out well, and the 4 ball as well.
It appears the 9 ball did some huge favors.
I'll try to recreate this somewhat and get it video taped to see what is exactly going on. Whitey

This is somewhat pointless Whitey as the balls are not perfectly round so you have to position all of them in exact same way each time to get more or less consistent results. This is only possible if you use a template to stop the balls from rolling to different positions when racking. Remembering the order of the balls in the rack is not good enough. You can use calipers to measure variances in the ball diameters and see it for yourself.

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
https://photos.app.goo.gl/VmR23Hbq28obstGR8
**** Just for Fun**** How would you go about running this rack, or how would you start off to run this rack? The 4 ball also goes! Your pocket is lower right!

Thanks in advance for participating if you choose to do so! Whitey

I'd defo shoot the 3 to nudge the 7 ever so slightly, then the 9 with draw to nudge the 10, then 2, 4, 8, 7, 13, 10, 11, 6, 14/15

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks guys for posting how you would go about running these balls.

I would start with the 3 as most have picked, and nudge the 7. Next shoot in the 9, and come into both the 10 and 13. I want to come into both for if I just go into the 10 I then might get jacked up over the 13 and possibly straight in on the 2, which would more than likely end the run.
For it is hard to count on the cb carrying through the 10, this is where straight pool experience comes in.
So I am now more than likely straight in on the 2. I would draw back to get on to what ever ball is best for the slight angle I have to work with. It could be quite a few since the 10 and 13 are open up, and even draw all the way back for the 14,7, and 8 and start working the rack from the top again.

I hope others post up scenarios for how would you run these balls. Just break open the balls, and if need be rearrange them so there are a few first shot options.
Or,
For those that do not have access to a table then use a program and set up some balls. thanks, Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Outsville, Inc (Chris Renfro) is offering a special where you get a set of their racking templates customized with your logo or name, plus a piece of their great white chalk for $30. Well I bought a set so I could get a good rack every time to play 5 rack. I get such varied results it's either the balls or my racking.

I took it out of the package and tried it one time with a good spread. Not sure what will happen if a cluster of balls stay in the template, but it's just a fun experiment anyway. The following are pics I took, see if you could spot the custom name I chose to use. 😂

IMG_20200807_135736755.jpgIMG_20200807_135829901.jpgIMG_20200807_140039307.jpgIMG_20200807_140136577.jpg

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
12squared, I hope the break is not driving you to fricking out of your mind. I find it hard to be consistent also, but then again I know I am not hitting it consistent. When I work on a particular game to get the break going, I usually do 20 breaks daily without pocketing a ball, only breaking. Recently I have developed a good wrist snap and that has gave me the power for games like 8 ball and 10 ball. I believe this is what I am going to have to do with this game. But it is going to hard not to continue shooting.

It is good you got a template and w/12squared! I am impressed. Eliminate that unknown variable!
Nice break, a challenge shot on the 2 and you are on your way.
Thanks for doing the 'how would you run this', and staying involved. Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
12squared, I hope the break is not driving you to fricking out of your mind. I find it hard to be consistent also, but then again I know I am not hitting it consistent. When I work on a particular game to get the break going, I usually do 20 breaks daily without pocketing a ball, only breaking. Recently I have developed a good wrist snap and that has gave me the power for games like 8 ball and 10 ball. I believe this is what I am going to have to do with this game. But it is going to hard not to continue shooting.

It is good you got a template and w/12squared! I am impressed. Eliminate that unknown variable!
Nice break, a challenge shot on the 2 and you are on your way.
Thanks for doing the 'how would you run this', and staying involved. Whitey
I have the whole set: 3ball; 9ball; 10ball and 15ball. All with 12squared on it but not the 3ball. Peace.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Vfjgz1pbpKqavQudA
What I consider the 'Golden Break'. The break is from the 1st diamond head rail @ head string towards the head ball which is the 15 ball. Contacting the head ball on the pocket side w/ and elevated cue coming down on the cue ball to pop it back to the position as you see it.
This table makes it look like we are playing on a soccer field. Whitey
View attachment 431909

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/2faudjBwkVmkKcz1A
There are so many ways of going after this rack. I was working the lower balls to work back up to the upper balls. I can see in reviewing the run that I probably could of drawn back further off the 2 and gave myself a better angle on the 6 to drop down on the balls on the foot rail.

This spread requires quite a bit of ball movement! Any ideas! Whitey

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Steve, here is a meme, although a true meme would be shorter, but there are game variations we need to consider so players and tournament directors are aware of this info.
1st Draft:
-----------------------------------------------
5 Rack One Pocket
A proposition game in which the player is charged that within 5 racks of balls they need to pocket a predetermined x-amount of balls in their declared scoring pocket, to win the game. There are no requirements placed upon the break, and thereupon the cue ball is played from where it lays. Any foul -1pt. on the break ends the rack, and/or any miss shot thereafter ends the rack. A ball scored on the break, counts. Neutrally pocketed balls are all spotted once all other balls have been scored.

Game Variations:
1. A break pocket scratch/foul -1pt. BIH-BTL - rack continues,
2. After break BIH - anywhere,
3. Multiple players - highest score wins.
* Any further/or alternative rules of play are to be determined between the opponents, or by the event administrative authority *
-----------------------------------------------
Discussion: I believe this covers the task you put forward to us, providing the members are ok with this, and this works for you!
Here is an idea;
What if we prominently display this on the Home page, by Title Only - 5 Rack OP- then click on it and the game rules come up, and in that way any tournament director can look at this and easily develop a flyer.
For example: On the flyer in conjunction with our One Pocket Tournament; Noted; we will have a mini tournament
*****5 Rack One Pocket, OnePocket.org rules - Scratch on Break - BIH-BTL *****

This is what I would really like to see, and what I feel would be a good addition to OP.org. That is to develop MOT rules, in which they are very short and concise, and prominently displayed on home page by Title Only, in which you click on MOT and the tournament rules come up.

Then tournament directors can also easily find our MOT tournament rules, and develop their flyers as such;

West Coast Swing
One Pocket Tournament - 5 g's added - 32 players max. $100 entry - **** OP.org MOT Rules****
Open Mini Tournament - **OP.org 5 Rack OP - Scratch Break BIH-BTL** - $50 entry.

For your considerations!
thanks, Whitey

Last edited:
Reactions: lll

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Whitey your statement there is no requirement on the break
is that the rule?
ie cue ball or object ball does not have to hit a rail ?

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey your statement there is no requirement on the break
is that the rule?
ie cue ball or object ball does not have to hit a rail ?
Yes, look at the full game rule writing. There is no requirement to have a ball contact a cushion. Steve also suggested to eliminate that it is a foul not to contact the rack, so this covers that also. Sometimes guys miscue and that happens.

But the line; * that opponents/tournament directors can determine any further rules, covers a lot.

A meme does work well for adaptation for tournaments. thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Nice job Dennis!! I’m still working so I can’t give it my full attention yet but I’ll take a closer look once I get home.

Reactions: lll

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Nice job Dennis!! I’m still working so I can’t give it my full attention yet but I’ll take a closer look once I get home.
Well things have a way of coming around. I have to work through it, and as always it is an on going process of ideas coming together, for me.
Thanks for the compliment, it is really appreciated. Dennis

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Tha
Yes, look at the full game rule writing. There is no requirement to have a ball contact a cushion. Steve also suggested to eliminate that it is a foul not to contact the rack, so this covers that also. Sometimes guys miscue and that happens. Its not perfect, for if a guy double clutches the break then what. So there are some things the opponent's/tournament director will work out, and Steve hinted he wanted it that way.

But the line; * that opponents/tournament directors can determine any further rules covers a lot.

A meme does work well for adaptation for tournaments. thanks, Whitey
thanks for the reply whitey

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I’ve never seen a scratch on the break end it. The way it was done at DCC wasBIH behind the line -1 if you scratched. Like Jay Helfert said, it’s hard enough anyway, why add such a major hurdle? I suggested if you don’t like BIH then you can charge a -1 and make them re-break.