5 rack game?

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
I like balls on the break to count.
Rather than agonizing over whether that would benefit or hinder one's inning; I'd prefer to keep it simple, such as:
The object of the game is to pocket balls in your pocket on a legal shot. I don't see a reason to try to think around that outcome. It may help or hinder, but that is just the way the table lies.

Spotting balls immediately or after all other are cleared;
My thought is that it is best waiting for balls to be cleared, as that would adhere to normal play more closely; the inning is all but over, but for the balls that need to be brought up.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Rather than agonizing over whether that would benefit or hinder one's inning; I'd prefer to keep it simple, such as:
The object of the game is to pocket balls in your pocket on a legal shot. I don't see a reason to try to think around that outcome. It may help or hinder, but that is just the way the table lies.

My thought is that it is best waiting for balls to be cleared, as that would adhere to normal play more closely; the inning is all but over, but for the balls that need to be brought up.
thanks for your comments, I appreciate it. It looks like this is getting finalized!
I sure would like to see to top pros going at this, with each playing 5 racks and who ever has the highest score wins that set. Playing x-amount of sets.
or,
Maybe in combination with some other pocket billiard disciplines over a few days of play. Whitey

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH

me too, the question is, if you make 2 balls in the side on the break and you run 13, do both balls get spotted at once or do you spot one, make it and then spot the other? ;)

whatever typical normal rules are is what I would lean towards so that it is more like the game itself.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
me too, the question is, if you make 2 balls in the side on the break and you run 13, do both balls get spotted at once or do you spot one, make it and then spot the other? ;)

whatever typical normal rules are is what I would lean towards so that it is more like the game itself.
Both balls would spot at once, just as if it we were playing standard OP. thanks, Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
5 RACK ONE POCKET

The Game:
It is a proposition game of One Pocket between a non-player and the player. The proposition is that the player has 5 racks of balls to score a predetermine x-amount of balls into one corner foot pocket. The x-amount of balls to be scored is determined by the opponents prior to the game starting.

The Rack: 15 balls are racked randomly within a standard triangle rack, by the player. The opponent has the right to inspect the rack and ask for corrections to be made if warranted.

The Break requirements: The designated scoring pocket must be declared before breaking the initial rack, with no further declaration needed unless there is a scoring pocket change on a subsequent rack. The entire cue ball must be placed within the kitchen. Any racked ball can be first contacted. There is no requirement for any ball to contact a rail, or to pocket a ball, but the rack must be contacted or it is a foul. A ball made in the designated scoring pocket, counts. Play continues from where the cue ball lays. After the opening break shot, play continues unless a foul has occurred, which ends the rack and the score is a -1 ball.

Rack Continuing: The rack continues only if a ball is scored. The rack will also end upon any foul. Each foul is a -1 ball deduction. If a ball is scored but a foul occurs it will not be scored, plus it is a loss of 1 scored ball, unless no balls have been scored then the score is a -1 ball. The ball count is tracked after each rack. Any balls pocketed in a neutral pocket are to be spotted all at once, and only after clearing the table by scoring all the other balls. All shots must only be played with the player's playing cue.

Game Won: The player must score the predetermined x-amount of balls within 5 racks.

* Any further rules of play or any alternative rules of play are to be determined between the opponents *
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cincy Kid,
I believe this is a rap. Would you now approach Steve for us guys, and see if this can be categorized under the Head line Heading of "The Game".
Subtitled " 5 RACK ONE POCKET ".
I'd like it to remain as written without any changes since this has been approved by those members that participated. I would also like it that there is no mention of wpa general rules apply. For I believe this is a game between two individuals and I would not want to infringe or impose any further specific rules upon their rights to play this game as they wish. Plus we have the * sentence * that covers this.
Thanks for your considerations,
&
thanks to all of you for your support and input to help this endeavor become a reality. Whitey

PS. Cincy, I just recently did some minor editing for added clarity.

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Well done Whitey, I just noticed the mention that no cue extensions are allowed. I get no jump cues, but not sure about that one. I'm good either way just curious. Thanks again for all the work.

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I honestly think when I used to play balls pocketed in the wrong pocket are dead balls I think is easy in terms of rules all balls pocketed stay down and only balls in your pocket count

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Well done Whitey, I just noticed the mention that no cue extensions are allowed. I get no jump cues, but not sure about that one. I'm good either way just curious. Thanks again for all the work.
I would like the rules and the game to be free of gimmicks, and the players to rely upon their skill. In this case their skill with a bridge. But, the line about the cue extensions has been in there for awhile, and I was in wonderment that I did not get a response.
But, beings that it is in there, I then think opponents will now have the consciousness to address this before the match is settled. The empowerment *sentence* should cover this. This sentence makes all the rules not hard fast, nor do I think they should be, for it is just for matching up and not tournaments.
But the game rule does lay down the basics of how the game is played, and that is the goal, plus unifying the rules.
thanks, Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I would like the rules and the game to be free of gimmicks, and the players to rely upon their skill. In this case their skill with a bridge. But, the line about the cue extensions has been in there for awhile, and I was in wonderment that I did not get a response.
But, beings that it is in there, I then think opponents will now have the consciousness to address this before the match is settled. The empowerment *sentence* should cover this. This sentence makes all the rules not hard fast, nor do I think they should be, for it is just for matching up and not tournaments.
But the game rule does lay down the basics of how the game is played, and that is the goal, plus unifying the rules.
thanks, Whitey
My reading skills can use some work LOL. Just for argument sake, what if SVB or others that use an extension for every shot, what then Batman? I do like the idea about equal playing fields and not everyone has an extension. Sorry I didn't notice that earlier.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
My reading skills can use some work LOL. Just for argument sake, what if SVB or others that use an extension for every shot, what then Batman? I do like the idea about equal playing fields and not everyone has an extension. Sorry I didn't notice that earlier.
I believe the empowerment sentence, whereas I included, "any alternative rules of play", covers this, and gives them the absolute right to use extensions, or as in your questions 'longer cues', for the opponents determine the rules.

I could re-write the empowerment statement so there is absolutely no doubt that the opponents can determine the rules they play their match by. But I thought I did that when I included 'alternative rules'. Should I make it more clear, in your opinion Dave? thanks, Whitey

PS. I do think players are getting away from the craze of extra long cues, in the most part. I do believe SVB has got away from it. But I did think of that, extra long cues, before adding in no extensions. I was listening to Jay Helfert commentate and he said; " the official rules use to have rules for pool cue lengths and weights, what happened to that". Whitey

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I believe the empowerment sentence, whereas I included, "any alternative rules of play", covers this, and gives them the absolute right to use extensions, for the opponents determine the rules.

I could re-write the empowerment statement so there is absolutely no doubt that the opponents can determine the rules they play their match by. But I thought I did that when I included 'alternative rules'. Should I make more clear, in your opinion Dave? thanks, Whitey

PS. I do think players are getting away from the craze of extra long cues, in the most part. I do believe SVB has got away from it. But I did think of that extra long cues before adding in no extensions. I was listening to Jay Helfert commentate and he said; " the official rules use to have rules for pool cue lengths and weights, what happened to that". Whitey
Probably no need, it's very well written

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
12 Squared,
I decided to eliminate the 'no cue extensions allowed', it feels a little out of place and out of character. After thinking about it, I do not want to really put restrictions of this sort on the players. The players can decide should it come up in their match.
thanks for bringing this to my attention. Whitey

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I thought I ran a 15 spotting a ball up at the end of my 14 ball run. Normal 1pocket rules say spot it, but when I asked Roy he said it stayed down and did not count. He also said if you make one on the break it stays down and would not count. I was bummed cause I thought I had another 15. Grrrrr

Ben, I thought if you made a ball on the break you would spot it, too. In fact that's how I played until hearing from Roy. It's confusing to me.
Since Diane and I are in Red Lodge, MT I thought I'd keep this going and post the run of 14 or 15 discussed above, depending on the rules. Other than me taking ball in hand, if we were playing the 5 rack rules it would have been a 15. Hope you like it.

Again, several shots were made that would not make on tighter equipment, but it sure makes it fun. 😂🙃

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
thanks for another video Dave, great shooting again!
I was practicing tonight, and I had knock in a couple of balls and the played shape on a ball along the side the stack of balls, the classical straight pool break, well I made it and opened up the stack and had one shot, but I also knock a ball in a neutral corner. Just for fun I spotted it up and sure enough it blocked my one and only shot.
So it made me feel good that we have decided to leave a neutral ball down until the end. As figured, that neutral ball would of never been there if it had not been pocketed, so why put it there now. We made the right decision on that one, and I believe on all the rules. They seem fair. Whitey

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Since Diane and I are in Red Lodge, MT I thought I'd keep this going and post the run of 14 or 15 discussed above, depending on the rules. Other than me taking ball in hand, if we were playing the 5 rack rules it would have been a 15. Hope you like it.

Again, several shots were made that would not make on tighter equipment, but it sure makes it fun. 😂🙃

pretty salty homie.....pretty salty......
;)