4 Hits And The Pick Part 2

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Am I correct in assuming that the guy who just broke is now allowed to remove 4 balls from the table and put them into his tray? Then it's the opponents shot?

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
gulfportdoc said:
Am I correct in assuming that the guy who just broke is now allowed to remove 4 balls from the table and put them into his tray? Then it's the opponents shot?

Doc
Thats correct Doc...I think Blackee may have been confused. Scott doesn't get to pick the balls...Ricky does.

Assuming Ricky just broke, and gets his 4 picks, then he (Scott) shoots,...I would advise him (Ricky)...to pick the 11, 6, 4, 12. (unless the 5 is dead in Scott's pocket)...then you would have to re-think it a little.

You are taking a few balls from your side, but you are opening up your banking lane, and severely limiting his safety options.

Ricky has to do all he can, to try and get a few balls, and keep Scott from getting control of the table, for as long as he can...not always an easy chore for a much weaker player.

PS..Other than the hi $$$ comfort zone, from what little I've seen of Ricky's game, (Just a few video's from last years DCC,...cannot remember who he was playing)... I would make Preacher Ronn the favorite over him. JMHO--ICBW.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
androd said:
4, 11, 10 and ? :confused: maybe the 12. I kinda like him drawing off the 12 ball.
Rod.

Rod, not a big deal, either choice, but isn't the cue ball froze (or almost ?) Not an easy yank, down to safetyville, (behind the 13) from either the 10 or 12.
I sure don't like leaving the 12 there, and letting him fire it, one rail at the stack...and plant whitey on the end rail (or worse yet, play a 3 rail safety off the 12....(if he feels desperate)...:eek: By taking the 6 too, he is kicking or lagging safe for sure. (I think)

Last edited:

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
SJDinPHX said:
Thats correct Doc...I think Blackee may have been confused. Scott doesn't get to pick the balls...Ricky does.

Assuming Ricky just broke, and gets his 4 picks, then he (Scott) shoots,...I would advise him (Ricky)...to pick the 11, 6, 4, 12. (unless the 5 is dead in Scott's pocket)...then you would have to re-think it a little.

You are taking a few balls from your side, but you are opening up your banking lane, and severely limiting his safety options.

Ricky has to do all he can, to try and get a few balls, and keep Scott from getting control of the table, for as long as he can...not always an easy chore for a much weaker player.

PS..Other than the hi $$$ comfort zone, from what little I've seen of Ricky's game, (Just a few video's from last years DCC,...cannot remember who he was playing)... I would make Preacher Ronn the favorite over him. JMHO--ICBW.

Unfortunately it's not the first time I've been confused. I'm shootin at the wrong hole.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
SJDinPHX said:
Rod, not a big deal, either choice, but isn't the cue ball froze (or almost ?) Not an easy yank, down to safetyville, (behind the 13) from either the 10 or 12.
I sure don't like leaving the 12 there, and letting him fire it, one rail at the stack...and plant whitey on the end rail (or worse yet, play a 3 rail safety off the 12....(if he feels desperate)...:eek: By taking the 6 too, he is kicking or lagging safe for sure. (I think)

I like 4,11,6, and 2 .I agree with Rod, let him draw off the 12 ball and wish him luck, he'll need it. Secondly the 12 and 10 ball are relatively out of play for Frost, why move them, let him move them. Thirdly by picking the 2 ball you take away a possible winning shot from Scott, and you open up the pocket for the 3 and 5 ball which he will have to defend against.

I would try to take away balls that are easy for Scott to pocket, and would certainly try to not pick the ones that would be difficult for him to score. Especially balls that are positioned high, or fairly high on , or near my side rail. Like the 10 and 12 ball.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

Suspended
wincardona said:
I like 4,11,6, and 2 .I agree with Rod, let him draw off the 12 ball and wish him luck, he'll need it. Secondly the 12 and 10 ball are relatively out of play for Frost, if there going to be moved let him move them. Thirdly by picking the 2 ball you take away a possible winning shot from Scott, and you open up the pocket for the 3 and 5 ball which he will have to defend against.

I would try to take away balls that are easy for Scott to pocket, and would certainly try to not pick the ones that would be difficult for him to score. Especially balls that are positioned high, or fairly high on , or near my side rail. Like the 10 and 12 ball.

I enjoy, (and respect) the different opinions on this layout. I also like the concept of a picture, rather than a WEI layout...seems more realistic, as you NEVER get to view a table layout hanging from the ceiling. (lets have more of these Rod, from maybe a slightly higher angle, if possible)

When Scott and Lenny get back, I will have Lenny put it up on his laptop, (or better yet, transfer it to a live table) and let Scott tell us which balls he would "least" like to see taken away in that spot

I still feel, given the froze (or almost frozen) cue ball, drawing off anything (12, or 10) over there...will be a very risky option. (without a step ladder :) )
We all agree, the 4 ball has to go. But I sure don't want to leave him ANY shot, that will allow him to re-arrainge the stack, put balls by his hole...and put a weaker player (like me) up on the end rail, or worse.
Getting 4 balls, from straight in on the 13, (8 1/2 ft. away)...would not be a gimme for anyone...That is why removing the 12, is, in IMO... very important... At this time, he has NO balls any where near his pocket.

PS..I see your logic on the 2 ball Bill, but I think it will probably be moved, somehow, before it becomes a factor. He AIN'T runnin' out from there, (unless the 5 is dead.) or he is allowed to hit the stack, and slobber something in.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
the discussion on which balls to remove and why has been very educational for me. the logic behind the choices make alot of sense even if there is some differences of opinion ( but very civil discussion:) )on some balls.
dick it would be interesting to here from scott which balls he wants the opponent to take and/or leave.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
SJDinPHX said:
I enjoy, (and respect) the different opinions on this layout. I also like the concept of a picture, rather than a WEI layout...seems more realistic, as you NEVER get to view a table layout hanging from the ceiling. (lets have more of these Rod, from maybe a slightly higher angle, if possible)

SJDinPHX said:
At the risk of being overly sarcastic, (which I rarely do)...PJ, and about 4 other guys on here,... really need to get out more often...and play some REAL, live pool... (like Rodney, but even HE is getting on my nerves, with his camera phone...

Actually I don't know how the phone works although it has a camera. I do have a nice camera, and may take some pictures of pictures at the pool room to try and post here.
Rod. <--- sort of befuddled by above posts, must by my oldtimers or maybe Ducks ?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
wincardona said:
I like 4,11,6, and 2 .I agree with Rod, let him draw off the 12 ball and wish him luck, he'll need it. Secondly the 12 and 10 ball are relatively out of play for Frost, why move them, let him move them. Thirdly by picking the 2 ball you take away a possible winning shot from Scott, and you open up the pocket for the 3 and 5 ball which he will have to defend against.

Billy I looked at moving the 2 ball but thought it left a relatively easy return after the break. Following the 3 ball and maybe moving the 13 ball or getting behind it.
Rod.
PS, I've never played much of this game, so I'm kind of inexperienced. :confused:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Dick, Rod and Billy all like removing the 11 and 4 balls. Dick and Bill like removing the 6; Dick and Rod like removing the 12.

I'm favoring Dick's choice: 11, 6, 4, 12.

Billy might want to remove the 2 because it's the only ball that the opponent can make in his hole after the others are picked up.

On the other hand the 11 might be an interesting ball to leave. The opponent can play safe off of it, but it's a little risky speed-wise because of the scratch possibilities. It also takes away a lag or draw shot to remove the 13. He could sell out a free bank on the 11, if it's left.

Rod wants to clear out the 10 and 12 both, which isn't a bad play.

Still, I'd have to go with Dick's pick.

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
androd said:
Actually I don't know how the phone works although it has a camera. I do have a nice camera, and may take some pictures of pictures at the pool room to try and post here.
Rod. <--- sort of befuddled by above posts, must by my oldtimers or maybe Ducks ?

Rod,

Have you ever heard of "mood swings"...Someone must have pissed me off that day,...and I lashed out at my favorite poster. (jokingly of course)... Please forgive me, as at times, I cannot be held responsible for my actions, when in attack mode..:cool:

Duck <---is having a good day today, the YJ is flowing....Fred is leaving for a while, and the Ghost has made a complete ass of himself. (nothing new there)....Life is good..:)