3 fouls, how common?

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
A game I was playing was won on 3 fouls recently, first time I've seen it happen in one pocket. I was wondering how often others have seen it come up?

Cory in dc

Verified Member
Way less than 1 in 100. Practically, about the only way it can happen is that both players took intentional fouls so both are on 2, and the shooter is in a tough spot where he has to go for something that lets the cue ball loose, and then he ends up scratching.

Last edited:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
2012/2013/2014........me, brendan sullivan, daniel hill drove down to check out a pro tournament in cape girardeau (i think). anyway, players included efren, busty, frost, deuel, roberts, gray (and i forget who else - but all world class field). dr. bill was there doing commentary.

i spent most of the day sweating games with qball. anyway....saw it happen twice! corey three fouled to lose a game for sure, can't remember who the other player was.....

:oops:

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
I always play that 3 fouls in a row is the loss of the game when gambling. Unfortunately, this is not a rule written in stone and must be agreed upon before the game begins. As "jtompilot" posted earlier, "...it prevents players from continually tapping the QB. It’s one of the best rules we have."

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
it's never happened to me or I have never witnessed it (in one pocket). Definitely something that needs to be decided before a gambling match. Personally I do not have a preference of playing it or not.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Like Cincy, I've never witnessed 3rd foul loss of game. I've heard of it occurring as above. The third foul penalty used to come up with some frequency in straight pool, especially by the top players, because being penalized 15 balls was not an insurmountable handicap for them. At my level, I never allowed myslef to be in that situation....:cool:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
And you guys thought the 3 foul was rare, check this out! This rule is what DCC plays by, and other tournaments that use BCAPL / CSI Rules.
BCAPL Rule:
1-33 Disturbed Balls (Cue Ball Fouls Only) (AR p. 91)
1. During a game, it is not a foul if you accidentally touch or move a single stationary object ball with any part of your body, clothing or equipment, unless the disturbed ball has an effect on the outcome of the shot.
6. If a single disturbed ball falls into a pocket with no effect on the outcome of a shot, your opponent has the restoration option. However, if the disturbed ball is designated by specific game rules as the game winning ball, it must be restored. If the game-winning ball is disturbed and falls into a pocket when there is an effect on the outcome of the shot, it is loss of game.
7. It is a foul if: a. you disturb the cue ball; b. you disturb more than one object ball; c. a disturbed ball contacts any other ball; d. you disturb a ball that is in motion.
Your opponent has no restoration option. If the game-winning ball is disturbed in conjunction with a violation of (a) through (d) and falls into a pocket, it is loss of game

Discussion, Rule 1-33-6: The “game winning ball” is designated by rule in 8-Ball, 9-Ball and 10-Ball. In One Pocket and Bank Pool, a ball is designated as the game-winning ball if it is the last ball on the table and the shooter needs only one more ball to win the game. There is never a specific game-winning ball in 14.1 Continuous.

I really hate this rule! For me the rules writers of this rule are acting like they are 'almighty god' in making a new way to loose a game. In 9-ball / 10-ball if I accidently disturb a ball and the 9-ball / 10 ball comes and contacts it and goes into the pocket it is a LOSS OF GAME! Are you kidding me! God I miss when 9-ball was a shooter's game! You won the game by making the 9-ball, and lost the game if the opponent made the 9-ball.
It has always been a loss of game, in 8-ball.

Same for OP! LOSS OF GAME! Whitey

I have another reason for hating this rule. I wrote for bcapl that it is a foul to interfere with a ball in motion. I had it properly categorized under 'Ball in Motion'. They had total disdain for my rule writing suggestions, thus they adopted it but improperly categorized it under disturbed balls. A disturbed ball is a ball that is not in motion.

Well this is how it is when offering up suggestions, even though good, and they had to adopt it, as with some other of my suggestions, but you are not liked for it! Whitey

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mCS9sPCTwXwozttC6 All BCAPL / CSI tournaments or tournaments that use their rules, are then governed by their 1.33 Disturbed ball rule, and thus in OP this is a loss of game!

Likewise if you apply 7d. disturbing a ball in motion, and then if you were to catch the 13 ball dropping into the hole it would also be a loss of a game, whether you illegally double hit the cb or even if you did not.

If a rule is written, and they govern your play then there is no getting around the rules, especially in tournament play. These are a loss of game. Whitey

Last edited:

Masta Cruz

From
Fresno, CA
Funny story during my best finish in California billiards POV pool’s winter one pocket tournament a few years back Jerry Matchin beat me on the winners side quarterfinal AND in the losers side third place match. In both losing efforts I was hill-0 and Jerry battled back to win 2-3 breaking my heart and ending my best tournament and my shot at amar kang in a 3am final match I would’ve loved to take a swing at.

In between, I got a losers side win against John Schmidt where race to 3 he three fouled me to get to the hill! I was kicking at a ball near his hole each time he put me in the stack It was the only choice I had because anything else he’d run 8 and out. My third kick I gave a little extra speed and hit the back of the ball I was intending, but the cue ball just curled out from the rail before making contact and cost me the game by three foul rule.

I ended up stealing the match when John hooked himself in the middle of a run out case game I’ll never forget it it was my first ever win against a professional.
He has pummeled me every match since then but I’ll never forget that one I was able to steal being three fouled in the middle of it.

jay helfert

Verified Member
Hardly ever. However what it prevents is players from continually tapping the QB. It’s one of the best rules we have

I totally agree, especially for tournament matches. I've seen gambling games where both players owed over ten balls each because there was no Three Foul rule. It is a rule that needs to be stipulated before you start playing though.

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
Outside pool I remember a few losses over the three miss rule in snooker (the rule is slightly different to pool as, for example, you don't lose a game if you contact the red and scratch).

Stuart Bingham forfeited a frame to Graeme Dott last year at the Crucible and so did Dechawat Poomjaeng against Michael White a few years earlier. Shaun Murphy lost a frame against Mark Allen that way at the 2016 Masters and so did Ding Junhui against Luca Brecel at the 2019 Masters. Ali Carter lost game and match to Ronnie O'Sullivan at the 2011 Premier League. Mark Williams and Neil Robertson both lost a frame each at the 2014 Shanghai Masters and 2015 Welsh Open, respectively.

The first person to ever lose a frame under this rule was Ken Doherty at the Crucible in 1996 (against a relatively unknown Irish player, Darren Morgan.

It does happen to the best of them but not too often.

BRLongArm

Verified Member
Corey Deuel fouled out to lose his match in both 2018 and 2019 at Buffalo's Pro Classic. In the 2018 match, Justin Hall fouled him out and Corey settled for 3rd place. In the 2019 match, Alex Pagulayan three fouled him out into second place. Corey lives on the high wire, and I can't ever imagine another player of his caliber fouling out in money matches like that.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i may be stupid or naive but if you know if you foul on your next shot you lose
HOW DO YOU NOT DO SOMETHING?????
EVEN IF YOU SELL OUT AND HE RUNS OUT
YOU STILL MADE HIM HAVE TO RUN OUT

just askin

baby huey

Verified Member
Last year at our annual Bogies Billiards Seniors Event, our own Bob Herchek beat Nick Varner hill hill on a three foul loss of game and match. I couldn't believe it when it happened and Nick said that was the first time in all his years of playing that he three fouled in One Pocket.