2020 Members Only Tournament (MoT) - Room Nominations

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Hey all, I was just texting with Steve and wanted to make sure we had this post started for the MoT. If you are not sure what that is, you can read more about it here:

http://www.onepocket.org/members-tournament/

In planning for next year's member tournament, please use this thread for room nominations.

The official dates are Friday, June 5th - Sunday, June 7th, 2020.

I could not find his post from last year that listed all of the things we are looking for but I am going to list what I remember and we can always add or change things I may have missed.

If you would like to nominate a room to be considered for the tournament, you will be our "point person". This simply means you will be the one who sets it up with the room owner and be our liaison in communication between the forum and room. This helps narrow the number of rooms on the list instead of suggesting, "...this would be a nice place to have it...", let's make sure we have the room owner's interest and information first so we can add them to the list.

When nominating a room, please try to include the following:
  • Name of the room with contact info (address, phone, website or FB if they have one)
  • How many tables will be dedicated for tournament use?
  • Does the room offer any food/snacks? Alcohol?
  • Is the smoking or non-smoking?
  • Give us an idea on how far away it is from the closest airport, other restaurants, hotels, etc.
  • Are there any special rates offered by a certain hotel if we mention the room or event?
  • What is the amount of green fees? (if applicable)
  • Will there be any money added? (this is not mandatory, just an option if the room owner would like to)
  • Anything else you think would be good information to know about the room or area
I think that's it for now, let me know if we should add anything or change anything on the items.

Looking forward to it!

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I can't remember if we said we had to have 16+ tables or not and if we were changing formats or trying round-robin, etc.

With that said, I know Michael would be interested in having one at this place. Before I nominate I will get the other info on the list together, Keeping in mind he only has 12 tables for the tourney I think, so if that's too few then I will not bother adding it.

Let me know!

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Hey all, I was just texting with Steve and wanted to make sure we had this post started for the MoT. If you are not sure what that is, you can read more about it here:

http://www.onepocket.org/members-tournament/

In planning for next year's member tournament, please use this thread for room nominations.

I could not find his post from last year that listed all of the things we are looking for but I am going to list what I remember and we can always add or change things I may have missed.

If you would like to nominate a room to be considered for the tournament, you will be our "point person". This simply means you will be the one who sets it up with the room owner and be our liaison in communication between the forum and room. This helps narrow the number of rooms on the list instead of suggesting, "...this would be a nice place to have it...", let's make sure we have the room owner's interest and information first so we can add them to the list.

When nominating a room, please try to include the following:
  • Name of the room with contact info (address, phone, website or FB if they have one)
  • How many tables will be dedicated for tournament use?
  • Does the room offer any food/snacks? Alcohol?
  • Is the smoking or non-smoking?
  • Give us an idea on how far away it is from the closest airport, other restaurants, hotels, etc.
  • Are there any special rates offered by a certain hotel if we mention the room or event?
  • What is the amount of green fees? (if applicable)
  • Will there be any money added? (this is not mandatory, just an option if the room owner would like to)
  • Anything else you think would be good information to know about the room or area
I think that's it for now, let me know if we should add anything or change anything on the items.

Can someone remind me the weekend we settled on? Was it Friday, May 1st?

Looking forward to it!

The recurring dates are the first full weekend (Friday - Sunday) in June. The 2020 MOT will be Friday, June 5 - Sunday, June 7 -- assuming that we stick with these annual dates....
;)

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
16 tables is nice but if we have less it just means we have to start earlier on Friday. Because the bottom line is we need to finish within schedule Sunday evening (which we did in Philly -- thank you Jeanne!). To do that we need to be at certain points Friday night end of matches and Saturday night end of matches. Of course that is based on 3/3 double elimination. So when it comes to voting, the number of tables will effect the schedule and keep that in mind in your voting.

So far we have been to:
New Orleans area (Lacey's)
Chicago (Chris's)
California (California Billiards)
Philadelphia (Bluegrass)

I think any location could go on the ballot, given that we have already crossed the country east west north south so to speak.

One other thing is that for any nomination we need someone -- presumably the one doing the nominating -- to be the advocate/local representative to obtain answers to member questions to ensure full information to make decisions, and most importantly to verify with the room owner that this works for them, and also to be a bit of a onepocket.org liaison with the room and the local players in the region around that room!!

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
More about dates and this may require some strategery on Steve’s part….:eek:

Whenever it was….four or five years ago, there was a long thread where we came up with the recurring dates. Lots of input and ideas – some good, some batshit crazy, etc. The synopsis is that we ultimately came up with the first full weekend of June (meaning Friday – Sunday) for two main reasons: (1) opposite side of the calendar from DCC, and (2) cheaper travel before summer airfare rates, hotel rates, etc. kick in…..

This may need to be reconsidered. The reason: HOF Event and Dinner.

ICBW, but I was thinking that Joe (brlongarm) had set things up so the HOF Dinner can take place at the same time as Buffalo’s now that DCC gave us the boot. If my assumption on this is correct, we might need to look at the dates – isn’t Buffalo’s May 21 - 24? That might make our recurring June dates bunk.

Just something to throw out there and consider….

:)

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
I hope we nail this down soon. I have blocked time off for the June dates. If venue changes, it would best to know as early as possible to adjust schedule.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
More about dates and this may require some strategery on Steve’s part….:eek:

Whenever it was….four or five years ago, there was a long thread where we came up with the recurring dates. Lots of input and ideas – some good, some batshit crazy, etc. The synopsis is that we ultimately came up with the first full weekend of June (meaning Friday – Sunday) for two main reasons: (1) opposite side of the calendar from DCC, and (2) cheaper travel before summer airfare rates, hotel rates, etc. kick in…..

This may need to be reconsidered. The reason: HOF Event and Dinner.

ICBW, but I was thinking that Joe (brlongarm) had set things up so the HOF Dinner can take place at the same time as Buffalo’s now that DCC gave us the boot. If my assumption on this is correct, we might need to look at the dates – isn’t Buffalo’s May 21 - 24? That might make our recurring June dates bunk.

Just something to throw out there and consider….

What does this have to do with the MOT?

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I think he means that if more people are interested in going to the HOF Dinner / Buffalo's tourney then that may take away from some who may have gone to the MOT (if they are close to the same dates).

That’s what I meant. We all can’t be chieftains of the sky and continental masters of travel like Flyboy Jim :rolleyes:

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I hope we nail this down soon. I have blocked time off for the June dates. If venue changes, it would best to know as early as possible to adjust schedule.

Me too. Sooner the better.

FWIW….I personally prefer the June dates as is.
(I simply point it out because if the HOF Event and Dinner is indeed at Buffalos – that means travel the third full week of May, back home for a week, then travel again the following week – might not be doable for those so inclined to attend both events…)

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Me too. Sooner the better.

FWIW….I personally prefer the June dates as is.
(I simply point it out because if the HOF Event and Dinner is indeed at Buffalos – that means travel the third full week of May, back home for a week, then travel again the following week – might not be doable for those so inclined to attend both events…)

Yes, because our One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner is obviously a onepocket.org event, and our MOT is obviously a onepocket.org event as well, that is a good question. For 2020 I think this is the way it has to be -- almost back to back weekends. Going forward we can talk about other options -- both for the HOF dinner and/or for the MOT. How about something like this? A major pro One Pocket "Hall of Fame" tournament stacked up with our own amateur MOT, and the location for our HOF dinner? Maybe a trifecta like that -- one travel destination; one vacation trip -- could be a breakthrough to something new and major all around.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Yes, because our One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner is obviously a onepocket.org event, and our MOT is obviously a onepocket.org event as well, that is a good question. For 2020 I think this is the way it has to be -- almost back to back weekends. Going forward we can talk about other options -- both for the HOF dinner and/or for the MOT. How about something like this? A major pro One Pocket "Hall of Fame" tournament stacked up with our own amateur MOT, and the location for our HOF dinner? Maybe a trifecta like that -- one travel destination; one vacation trip -- could be a breakthrough to something new and major all around.

That could end up being a big cool event for sure if it can be planed logistically!

One thought is that if it takes a week to play the pro event, have the dinner and get our MOT in, will we have the stamina and will we have enough time off work for us working stiffs. :)

I agree though it could be huge!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Would it work to have the HOF'er dinner on Thursday night of the MOT? I do not have a clue if this works or not, so I am throwing it out there! Whitey

For 2020, its already booked in conjunction with Buffalo's big pro event! (wish i could go!!)

Not sure if you are suggesting that for 2020 or for future years but just throwing that out there just in case..

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks Cincy! Maybe we need considerations/discussion for changing the date of the MOT so it is not so close to the HOF'ers Dinner!
Is there a possibility that the HOF'er Dinner could influence the showing for the MOT? Whitey

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Thanks Cincy! Maybe we need considerations/discussion for changing the date of the MOT so it is not so close to the HOF'ers Dinner!
Is there a possibility that the HOF'er Dinner could influence the showing for the MOT? Whitey

Well, that's what Miller brought up and I mentioned as well but Steve pointed out it may be an opportunity for a big event. Similar to the DCC where people are there for like a week to watch and/or play in any or all 3 events. So instead of banks, one hole and 9B, it would be: Pro one hole event, HOF Dinner, Member Tournament -- or something similar. Would be a cool week of one hole for sure!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
BUMP

We need some room nominations and member input!

For 2020, per Steve's last post, lets keep it the same dates we already planned on! (June 5-7)

Do we have any interested rooms? If so, please members speak up so we can get this in stone!

This goes for any room we have already been to of course so whoever speaks to the owners let us know if they are interested in hosting for 2020 along with details, thanks!

youngstown

Verified Member
Michael’s Billiards (Fairfield, OH)
June 5-7 or whatever days we choose that weekend
12 regulation 9’ tables will be dedicated for tournament use
Food, snacks, and alcohol are available.
Non-smoking room.
Greens fees $25 per person for the weekend.
$500 added money