2019 MOT location ballot

2019 MOT location ballot

• Bluegrass Billiards, in Philly

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • Michael's Billiards in Cincinati (Fairfield, OH)

Votes: 12 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
That's only 132 games, right?
John, I think my math is correct! 12 players entered would play each other player, (11 players), twice! So 11 games doubles to 22 games total for each player. 12 x 22 = 264 games.
After I posted this; I got to wondering how it might work for a short rack bank pool tournament. A two day tournament it would work great! A one day tournament you would have to be careful not to over extend the play. Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Really? Sounds like something you made up. A June reservation made in February not refundable? You need to castigate your staff. :heh

To get that great rate on the hotel near the room I had to pay in full w/no refund. I'm going no matter what but wanted to let you know since the subject was brought up.

See you there:)
Dave

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
2019 MOT location ballot

Well this may simplify things. Dominic the owner had envisioned a normal double elimination tournament which would allow for him to rent tables at some point. He did not say no to round robin, but would ask us to increase the greens fee from 20 (Normal tourney) to 40 a man if round robin since it will basically guarantee no other table rentals. Also - if normal double elimination format we are ok with 16 tables Friday and 16 tables on Saturday whereas if we go round robin he is asking that we do 16 tables Friday and 12 on Saturday. From a business perspective these are all reasonable requests imo as we had not discussed or let him know earlier that it may not be a standard format. So let’s put those factors into our collective pipes and make our decision accordingly.

darmoose

Verified Member
From
Baltimore, MD
Well this may simplify things. Dominic the owner had envisioned a normal double elimination tournament which would allow for him to rent tables at some point. He did not say no to round robin, but would ask us to increase the greens fee from 20 (Normal tourney) to 40 a man if round robin since it will basically guarantee no other table rentals.

Mitch, this next sentence is somewhat confusing. We are allowed 16 tables for both Friday and Saturday if we play DE, however, with RR we only can have 12 tables on Saturday?

Also - if normal double elimination format we are ok with 16 tables Friday and 16 tables on Saturday whereas if we go round robin he is asking that we do 16 tables Friday and 12 on Saturday. From a business perspective these are all reasonable requests imo as we had not discussed or let him know earlier that it may not be a standard format. So let’s put those factors into our collective pipes and make our decision accordingly.

Of course we have to live within the owner's parameters. Just wish some others could be a little less dictatorial, and be more open to allowing the group to try something new, that we all might just like, especially when their motives have nothing to do with making for a better tournament experience for the majority, but rather serve only their admitted self interest.

For "those that need to know" I will be present regardless of the format.

P.S. Mitch, how about putting me on your dance card for some this year?:D

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
2019 MOT location ballot

Mitch, this next sentence is somewhat confusing. We are allowed 16 tables for both Friday and Saturday if we play DE, however, with RR we only can have 12 tables on Saturday?

That’s correct.

Yes. You read it correctly. 16 fri and 12 sat if RR. B

No thanks Darmoose. You are too tough for me. Thank you for asking though.

Last edited:

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Mkbtank,
I think there are some misconceptions by the owner.
1. a 3/3 format on 16 tables on Friday will eliminate 8 players -1/4 of the field, therefore leaving 24 players for Saturday's play on 12 tables.

2. A RR format of 16 tables w/4 groupings of 8 players playing each player twice will eliminate 16 players by mid-afternoon of Saturday, and play will resume on 8 tables. Therefore at a reasonable time on Saturday, and before the night crowd patrons, tables will be open.

3. Darmoose RR format is the only one that does not free up tables, for it is required to use 16 tables through both days Friday and Saturday. It has each player playing 21 games each before narrowing down the field.

4. Mr3cushion RR format is on 16 tables with 8 groupings of 4 players. It is the fastest way to get to the rd. of 16.

5. RR is always a plus for the establishment for players are not out of the tournament until rd. of 16, therefore they stick around until mid-afternoon Saturday. Therefore almost guaranteeing 32 players will be sticking around for two full days.

This I believe is true and accurate assessment of how the time frames will work out regarding all of the formats discussed. I believe your discussions with the owner was based upon Darmoose RR format. Of which, as with all the RR Formats, was not decided upon as being the Format we agreed upon going with. Final decision making was saved until now, which is the proper appropriate time. We need to decide that now, so proper RR discussions with the owner can take place.

I would like the members who participated in the RR MOT thread pg.17 of OP forums to verify my time frame and depictions of the various formats, as accurate, if you will. Correct me if I am wrong, and I will then correct this post, so we have a correct reference. Whitey

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
2019 MOT location ballot

You are correct whitey that I was under the Darmoose plan. I obviously hadn’t followed that other thread closely enough because it was my misconception which was relayed to Dominick. So if we know which RR format is being proposed as an option for us, I can easily go back with the correct info and speak with Dom again.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
You are correct whitey that I was under the Darmoose plan. I obviously hadn’t followed that other thread closely enough because it was my misconception which was relayed to Dominick. So if we know which RR format is being proposed as an option for us, I can easily go back with the correct info and speak with Dom again.

Thank you, I will continue to upgrade my last post, with further depictions of each RR format proposals. So members that participate can make a proper decision on which RR format they want represented. Whitey

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
John, I think my math is correct! 12 players entered would play each other player, (11 players), twice! So 11 games doubles to 22 games total for each player. 12 x 22 = 264 games.

Well, you're right that the players get to play a total of 264, but since two guys are playing on each one, the table time is only for 132.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
To get that great rate on the hotel near the room I had to pay in full w/no refund. I'm going no matter what but wanted to let you know since the subject was brought up.

See you there:)
Dave

Apparently you need to castigate your staff too! :D

This reminds me of a guy I used to play poker with. He was an older guy who had been a hustler all his life.... not a gambling hustler, I mean he'd go from selling burial plots to accident insurance to multi-level marketing to... you get the picture. He did pretty wwll with his scuffling, well enough to have a nice apartment and always drive a late-model Caddy, but he was always short of cash. Still, he put on airs as though money was never a problem for him.

Anyway, finally to the point of the story: One time in a poker game he and another player got a little over-heated and the guy told Herb to kiss his ass. Herb blinked, got a look on his face that looked almost like fear, and said, "I have staff to take care of those matters."

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
Really? Sounds like something you made up. A June reservation made in February not refundable? You need to castigate your staff. :heh

There is no carved-in-stone MOT format.

Steve has already said that the previous format is only the default by default. It's not official.

You always have some bullshit to say about me, POS. You are such a two faced prick, always being nice to my face but have the knives brought out when ever I post. There is an expected format when you sign up for a tournament or vote to go for a tournament and then because a couple of people want a RR it becomes a point of contention. No I do not want to play a RR and I have made that clear, I want a regular MOT that has been played for the past three years. It’s the official format after we have voted to have the tournament.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa

Of course we have to live within the owner's parameters. Just wish some others could be a little less dictatorial, and be more open to allowing the group to try something new, that we all might just like, especially when their motives have nothing to do with making for a better tournament experience for the majority, but rather serve only their admitted self interest.

I am really tired of your slants and innuendos. You want to try something new, START YOUR OWN TOURNAMENT. Who’s self interest are you promoting if not yours? Who constantly brings up RR? You. Who says that having a new experience is better, you. No, I will not go if you have a RR, that is my personal choice and screw you for your slants and provocations because I want to have a typical MOT. You want to pay for the cost of my ticket, $1200, non refundable? My AirBnB, deposit non refundable, $300? My meals, $30 each? Then STFU about my self interest. Where were you at the CB tournament? Oh you were too cheap to fly across country? You were one of the ones to complain the longest and the loudest that the ending was too late for your liking. Guess who cares? Not me because I had a great time even though I got tortured. I am glad to know you are going to be there, don’t be palsy wows with me after all your public assassinations, stay the FK away from me.

J.R.

Verified Member
From
Chicago, Illinois
As I have stated before my computer problem (electrical surge fried the mainframe) continues because I thought the prices would go down after Christmas. Something like a $2,000 dollar computer marked down to $1,000. It's now two months later and the prices remain the same. Or maybe I'm just too cheap to buy a new one.

Anyway, if anyone is keeping count on who is coming, I plan on attending the 4th Annual Members Only One Pocket Tournament. I did not vote but if I did, I would have picked Philadelphia even though the Eagles beat the Bears.

Last edited:

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
2019 MOT location ballot

As I have stated before my computer problem (electrical surge fried the mainframe) continues because I thought the prices would go down after Christmas. Something like a $2,000 dollar computer marked down to $1,000. It's now two months later and the prices remain the same. Or maybe I'm just too cheap to buy a new one.

Anyway, if anyone is keeping count on who is coming, I plan on attending the 4th Annual Members Only One Pocket Tournament. I did not vote but if I did, I would have picked Philadelphia even though the Eagles beat the Bears.

Fantastic!!!! Look forward to seeing you again John! Here’s a reminder of our last battle for your records... 😂. This time I will be patient lol.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

I don't know who you were hinting at that was too dictatorial for you, but I do know I don't like too much conflict and controversy. So even though I don't think I was not being dictatorial at all, I have decided that at this point, I do not want to see the format of the MOT change for Philly in 2019. Keep it the same double elimination format that the room owner was anticipating and that our members have been expecting.

That doesn't mean we are locked in permanently, but I am not liking this kind of turmoil just at the time we should be in the home stretch of each of us deciding whether we can go or not, and each of us signing up and making our travel arrangements and getting excited about the MOT in Philly.

So I am now in fact dictatorially ruling that the MOT format for 2019 will stay the same, with hard deadlines for bracket progress Friday night and Saturday night, so we are down to final 4 on Sunday. If we have to shorten the one-loss side races to 2 on Saturday -- or any other drastic measures -- then those will be part of our "plan B" only if necessary.

I am going to close this thread, but start a new one so we can carry on with conversations about alternatives to the double elimination format, which maybe there will be interest in trying in a future tournament -- either our MOT or some other event. We already know we have other rooms interested in hosting us in different locations, and we already have a second MOT that seems to have found footing in Memphis, so another regional event might be a very good place to try a new format.

Status
Not open for further replies.