2019 Member Tournament Sign up Thread!!!

lfigueroa

Verified Member
I was debating about attending this event and to be honest I'm going to pass for the following reasons:

It just shouldn't be this tough. If guys are traveling they should get 3/3 and if at all possible not face being knocked out the first day.

Additionally, there's only one reason for a time issue given 32 guys, three days, and plenty of tables: one or two guys slowing up the whole event. That can and should be taken care of without punishing the whole field with an abbreviated format and/or goofy rules. Its not rocket science, it's tournament management.

And, I'd strongly recommend that in the future a start time be identified early on and adhered to. It is, IMO, unfair to the guys who hauled their sorry butts to the event to be there on time -- incurring perhaps additional time off work and rental car and hotel monies -- and allow guys to wander in at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 PM for a tournament with perhaps a 12 start time. These guys get their matches called and the good guys have to sit around and wait for them. Lastly, what's with multiple smoke breaks?! You get one per match, have a nice day.

So, I know no one will miss me, but I'll wait until when/if things get straighten out. Hope you all have a great time.

Lou Figueroa

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I also don't like the idea of eliminations on Friday, but it may be necessary. We don't need to make a big production or debate for this, but on an ad hoc basis, we could easily run a $50 single elimination race to 2 Saturday afternoon tournament for either (1) all 2 out players (8) or (2) all 2 or 3 & out (12) players.

A mini for the early exit players is a great idea

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I was debating about attending this event and to be honest I'm going to pass for the following reasons:

It just shouldn't be this tough. If guys are traveling they should get 3/3 and if at all possible not face being knocked out the first day.

Additionally, there's only one reason for a time issue given 32 guys, three days, and plenty of tables: one or two guys slowing up the whole event. That can and should be taken care of without punishing the whole field with an abbreviated format and/or goofy rules. Its not rocket science, it's tournament management.

And, I'd strongly recommend that in the future a start time be identified early on and adhered to. It is, IMO, unfair to the guys who hauled their sorry butts to the event to be there on time -- incurring perhaps additional time off work and rental car and hotel monies -- and allow guys to wander in at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 PM for a tournament with perhaps a 12 start time. These guys get their matches called and the good guys have to sit around and wait for them. Lastly, what's with multiple smoke breaks?! You get one per match, have a nice day.

So, I know no one will miss me, but I'll wait until when/if things get straighten out. Hope you all have a great time.

Lou Figueroa
Oh, we will for sure!!! These tournaments have all been a blast, win or lose!! To be honest, most of us are there for exactly that -- having fun; most of us do not expect to win the tournament! And getting knocked out the first day does not change that. Just look at the poll results -- landslide (so far) in favor of the only one out of four choices that gets the most players knocked out the first day.

Regarding the rest of your post -- what are you talking about?? No one gets to wander in 6 hours after a start time! And the whole point of the poll is to set the schedule :frus

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans

Lou Figueroa

Lou, your a great guy and a great guy to play. I’ve enjoyed the many times we’ve played but your way off base on your post. I’m just going to leave it at that and sign off.

Jim

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Oh, we will for sure!!! These tournaments have all been a blast, win or lose!! To be honest, most of us are there for exactly that -- having fun; most of us do not expect to win the tournament! And getting knocked out the first day does not change that. Just look at the poll results -- landslide (so far) in favor of the only one out of four choices that gets the most players knocked out the first day.

Regarding the rest of your post -- what are you talking about?? No one gets to wander in 6 hours after a start time! And the whole point of the poll is to set the schedule :frus

I think there has been plenty of sentiment expressed opposing a format that would eliminate guys the first night. For this king of "friendly" event I would think that would be a given.

As to starting late I may have mis-spoke but I thought I read in one of the threads something about players who were paid but could not play (presumably due to a late arrival) starting later. If wrong, i apologize.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

Verified Member
Lou, your a great guy and a great guy to play. I’ve enjoyed the many times we’ve played but your way off base on your post. I’m just going to leave it at that and sign off.

Jim

Jim, you're a great guy too.

I've played in plenty of tournaments and we all have different opinions on stuff like this. I just believe that if you can't get a relatively small tournament done in three days something is amiss. I'm going to leave it there. I'm sure everyone will have fun.

Lou Figueroa

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
I think there has been plenty of sentiment expressed opposing a format that would eliminate guys the first night. For this king of "friendly" event I would think that would be a given.

As to starting late I may have mis-spoke but I thought I read in one of the threads something about players who were paid but could not play (presumably due to a late arrival) starting later. If wrong, i apologize.

Lou Figueroa

You aren't wrong.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Entry list updated to included Hendy and Johnnytronic! Only 9 spots left fellas!!!

GoldCrown

Verified Member
As usual life and family are in my way. Will be in NC that weekend. Would enjoy meeting everyone. Have fun. Welcome to Phila.

chicagomike

Verified Member
Entry list updated to included Hendy and Johnnytronic! Only 9 spots left fellas!!!

Unfortunately guys I’m not gonna make it. It conflicts with a big 1/2 Ironman training weekend that I’m competing in with my wife. If anything changes and it’s not too late I will let you know, but as of now I’m a no.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
Unfortunately guys I’m not gonna make it. It conflicts with a big 1/2 Ironman training weekend that I’m competing in with my wife. If anything changes and it’s not too late I will let you know, but as of now I’m a no.

Half Ironman for you and your wife....... That’s impressive. Good luck

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa

Original post updated. 26 players in and 24 paid. Only 9 weeks away and only 6 spots left!!!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

does that mean she does the race and you cheer her on??.....:heh
just kidding mike
good luck to both of you
its a remarkable physical achievement just to finish

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
What is the format for the members only tournament in June.

It is a race to 3 both sides of double elimination bracket, with a single race finals -- hot seat winner getting the first break in the finals (alternate breaks). The tournament starts noon on Friday with two winner side rounds and two one-loss rounds. Saturday continues down to four remaining players for Sunday's finals. I don't think we have decided whether the final is a race to three or a race to four -- it might depend on what time the final match starts on Sunday.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
It is a race to 3 both sides of double elimination bracket, with a single race finals -- hot seat winner getting the first break in the finals (alternate breaks). The tournament starts noon on Friday with two winner side rounds and two one-loss rounds. Saturday continues down to four remaining players for Sunday's finals. I don't think we have decided whether the final is a race to three or a race to four -- it might depend on what time the final match starts on Sunday.

I like the idea of a final elimination race to four. That’s seven games if it goes to the end. Make a decision before it turns into another raging fight.

Hardmix

Verified Member
From
Cumming Ga
I happen to be in Philly yesterday so I took the opportunity to visit with my buddy Mitch and check out Bluegrass billiards. This room has a nice bar area in the front which is somewhat isolated from the playing area. There will be no sitting at the bar and turning around to watch the action. The tables are all GC with several having a bit tighter pockets. Mitch said they just bought a one with 4” pockets but the felt needed to be replaced. Hopefully they do that before the tourney as it would be a good action table. The lighting on the tables is acceptable.

The kitchen has good food. I ordered a chicken sandwich that came out like a Philly cheesesteak. I also saw several guys that had prettty healthy sized hamburgers. They did not have a operational fryer so no French fries:eek:

Lastly, this is a cash only establishment so bring plenty of cabbage. Who goes to the pool hall with only credit cards anyway?