2017 us open one pocket

markgriffin

Verified Member
All right----
lets have a discussion on the dates for the 2017 US OPEN ONE POCKET.
It will be held at our new room in Las Vegas - which will open around August of 2016. It is in the old 'Pool Sharks' location.

The room is being completely remodeled. Everything is new; including the insulation, ceiling tiles, carpet, underground plumbing, electrical, kitchen and bar and equipment. And the bathrooms will shock you on how nice they will be.

All the windows will be gone and everything will be controlled by lighting. There will be 'about' 16 @ 7' tables and 8 @ 9' tables. All Diamond Pro-Ams. There will also be a beautiful Regina 6 x 12 set up for golf action.

To avoid short notice and to avoid date conflicts, lets try to find a date that makes the most sense to the most players. CSI will try to be as flexible as possible to accommodate. It may be a limited field because of 8 competition tables, but if it is an isolated event, it could run a day longer to hold more players. There will be a permanent streaming table and good food, full liquor and a few slot machines. A little bit of everything for everyone.

BTW - this will be a very comfortable room, your wife will feel comfortable watching and hanging out. This is NOT your normal 'pool room'!

So - help me out. What dates will work best?????

Mark Griffin

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
All right----
It will be held at our new room in Las Vegas - which will open around August of 2016. It is in the old 'Pool Sharks' location.

The room is being completely remodeled. Everything is new; including the insulation, ceiling tiles, carpet, underground plumbing, electrical, kitchen and bar and equipment. And the bathrooms will shock you on how nice they will be.

All the windows will be gone and everything will be controlled by lighting. There will be 'about' 16 @ 7' tables and 8 @ 9' tables. All Diamond Pro-Ams. There will also be a beautiful Regina 6 x 12 set up for golf action.

To avoid short notice and to avoid date conflicts, lets try to find a date that makes the most sense to the most players. CSI will try to be as flexible as possible to accommodate. It may be a limited field because of 8 competition tables, but if it is an isolated event, it could run a day longer to hold more players. There will be a permanent streaming table and good food, full liquor and a few slot machines. A little bit of everything for everyone.

BTW - this will be a very comfortable room, your wife will feel comfortable watching and hanging out. This is NOT your normal 'pool room'!

Mark Griffin

I'm pretty sure Bogies will be having the 2nd Annual Seniors Classic next year in the month of April. I don't know that for a fact, but since it was a successful tournament I assume it will be an annual thing. April fits the best for Bogies IMO because they also have the Super Seniors event in the same calendar year. That tournament will be held again this year in October. It gives a nice separation to the two tournaments ( 6 months ) and time to regroup for Bogies and some of the players who play both events and travel great distances in doing so.

John Rizzo should be able to shed more light on the exact dates if plans for the US Open include either of those months.
His phone # is 281-821-4544

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
First off, great to see this discussion is already taken place!

Secondly, don't forget about time separation from the Derby which usually happens in January and most attend.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Based upon what I know about various goin's on, I'd choose March or July. I haven't been to Vegas in July for a long time... would heat be a problem then?

Derby, White Diamonds, Buffalo's, Big Dog, Senior and Super Senior, would be good to work around, and there are undoubtedly significant tourneys on the West Coast that I don't know anything about. Edit to add: Alan Hopkins Expo.

With this much lead time I think I would make a list of established events that usually draw a dozen or more of the top players and see whether there's space to dodge them all, or even try to negotiate a small adjustment from one of them if that would do the trick.

One good resource in putting together a list would be the professional streamers...

Your room sounds awesome. I would definitely try to attend and support the event, and I very likely could. (And I'll bring Sparks, TroutmanMo and Disco Dave with me to pay for my trip.) :)

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Mark,

Congratulations on the room, I am confident it will be first class and well run. Thanks for continuing to do so much for pool.

Dave Gross

P.S. maybe you can throw in a couple 3-cushion tables just for good measure. :)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Mark,

Congratulations on the room, I am confident it will be first class and well run. Thanks for continuing to do so much for pool.

Dave Gross

P.S. maybe you can throw in a couple 3-cushion tables just for good measure. :)

+1

And yes the room sounds awesome, can't wait to check it out someday!

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Mark, it's very smart of you to tie down next year's dates early. That, along with the more accessible location will ensure that many more players will participate in this prestigious event.

As John mentioned, March would probably be an ideal month. Even April would also be good-- for the weather. It's doubtful that too many of the senior players at the Bogies events would be conflicted for playing at your tournament. Cardone might have a conflict re commentating; perhaps Wayne or Hendy. Yet it's good to steer clear of everything within reason.

If the entry is cost effective, as it was this year, you'll probably pick up a number of lesser players who would simply like the experience, which is good for the prize fund and expenses.

It's great news about your new room! What have you decided to name it?

~Doc

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
:heh
(And I'll bring Sparks, TroutmanMo and Disco Dave with me to pay for my trip.) :)

sorry to bust your bubble John, although I may take you up on the offer of a ride, my money only goes to sure things ( a la Wayne Pullen or Baby Huey). Your dubious performances may not qualify as an investment opportunity.:D although entertainment value could be priceless! :heh

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Mark, it's very smart of you to tie down next year's dates early. That, along with the more accessible location will ensure that many more players will participate in this prestigious event.

As John mentioned, March would probably be an ideal month. Even April would also be good-- for the weather. It's doubtful that too many of the senior players at the Bogies events would be conflicted for playing at your tournament. Cardone might have a conflict re commentating; perhaps Wayne or Hendy. Yet it's good to steer clear of everything within reason.

If the entry is cost effective, as it was this year, you'll probably pick up a number of lesser players who would simply like the experience, which is good for the prize fund and expenses.

It's great news about your new room! What have you decided to name it?

~Doc
I don't think the weather in Vegas matters much -- just make sure your AC can handle it. June or July have worked in the past and would work fine. March is kind of tight between DCC and the Houston Senior event.

I would also like to add, if your four days can include Sat and Sunday, that makes taking a little time off more manageable. The midweek tournaments are tough for working people like me.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I don't think the weather in Vegas matters much -- just make sure your AC can handle it. June or July have worked in the past and would work fine. March is kind of tight between DCC and the Houston Senior event.

I would also like to add, if your four days can include Sat and Sunday, that makes taking a little time off more manageable. The midweek tournaments are tough for working people like me.

good point about the weekends!

Tylerbob

Verified Member
From
Chandler Texas
Thanks for all you do. The lead time should help a lot and Vegas is the right place for this event. I look forward to seeing your new room.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
:heh

sorry to bust your bubble John, although I may take you up on the offer of a ride, my money only goes to sure things ( a la Wayne Pullen or Baby Huey). Your dubious performances may not qualify as an investment opportunity.:D although entertainment value could be priceless! :heh

"Dubious performances"?

Oh, baby, I've got you set up SOOO good. (Bring plenty of money to Nawlins... and bring TroutmanMo with ya....I'll buy the hot dogs. :D )

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
March is kind of tight between DCC and the Houston Senior event.

Doc, I think that as many good 1P tournaments as there are, shooting for a month apart would be a reasonable objective.

With a premium Vegas venue this could become the annual pro event, and within a couple of years they could start letting everyone else dodge this one, but getting off to a good non-conflicting schedule initially could be critical, especially for the guys on/near the East Coast.

I'd put up my entry fee now if I wasn't afraid I'd scare people off.... and if I didn't have that-'ere whatchacallit AuldTymers stuff. :(

Disco Dave

Verified Member
From
Houston, TX
"Dubious performances"?

Oh, baby, I've got you set up SOOO good. (Bring plenty of money to Nawlins... and bring TroutmanMo with ya....I'll buy the hot dogs. :D )

Weedhopper (or maybe it's Hopsdrinker), remember always that the wise man walks with his head bowed, humble like the dust.

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Mark, this is wonderful news. i also don't think the weather much matters. you obviously will get the best participation from the top players if your event is close to another big event somewhat close to vegas, like california. making travel easy would definitely be a consideration. looking forward to playing in your new room. keith

keoneyo

Verified Member
Mark this is great news. Thank you for your efforts. I met you the 1st time you had the rights to the US Open 1 pocket when you did it downtown LV. It was a wonderful event and got to see Ronnie Allen and Ed Kelly, resurrected, play. Also great characters were in attendance like Pots and Pans. Im sure this will be just as successful.
One question. What is the smoking rule in your place. Well there be smoking during the event?
Thanks again
Keone

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
All right----

Mark Griffin

So, is it going to stink bad from cigarette smoke like the old place

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
So, is it going to stink bad from cigarette smoke like the old place

Well, yes and no. It's smoking, but they're renting hand-held personal fans with Old Spice spritzer. If you catch any undesirable whiffs, just pull the trigger and you'll be set for about 20 minutes. I'll see that you get one, my treat. :D