2017 Chicago Shootout

mhilton777

Verified Member
From
Rosemount, MN
I am sitting out back on a beautiful Minnesota evening, enjoying a libation (several actually so excuse any bad grammar or run-on sentences!) and figured I would share some thoughts about the 2017 tourney.

Congratulations to Bob Newkirk for the win.

Congratulations to Jim for the endurance award for playing all damn day to get to the finals!!

First things first, I have to thank Lizz for all of her help with the tournament. Without her I do not think it could have run as smoothly as it did. She does not play pool at all and had to deal with all of us clowns for 3 days playing 1 pocket!!

Secondly, I would like to thank Steve for creating this site and the idea for us to have an annual tournament for all of us to get together and enjoy ourselves and meet each other.

Thirdly, I definitely need to thank John Crabb for his help with getting the brackets setup and running the Calcutta. You were a big help brother!!!

I grew up in the south suburbs of Chicago and mostly played one pocket at Red Shoes but did occasionally get up to Chris’s to play. Walking up the stairs into the room, as many others have said, is always a great experience no matter how many times you have been there. It is an iconic, old school poolroom and there are not many of those left in this country.

This is the first time I have ever attempted to run a tournament like this and I did learn several things.

- As Steve had suggested, we should definitely do an online bracket that can be posted and automatically updated as play progresses.

- An online signup option would be fantastic so the Tournament Director does not have to sort through emails, PM’s, etc. to make sure everything is in order.

- I would love to see the tournament start at noon on Friday and all play on Saturday and Sunday start at 11am. That would definitely prevent the Finals from going until 3:30am on a Monday morning!!!

- If we need to implement a slow play rule, I am fine with that. With that being said, I believe there would need to be at least a couple of other volunteers that were not playing at the time to walk the room and help monitor to see how the matches were going.

- In regards to “the match” that started late on Saturday, I made the judgment call on that and I take full responsibility for it, and I will stand by my decision. I made the opponent aware of it on Friday evening and he did not seem to disagree with it. My personal thought process was that it was a deep enough Winner’s side match that it would not effect timing as we had a ton of matches on the West side of the bracket to get through.

- I like the race to 3 on both sides and the Finals going to 4 games. If we did a double dip in the Finals, that could take an extra day!!

- The rules we played by the last 2 years are fine with me as they were agreed upon. I personally do not like the re-rack rule if a ball is made because you cannot re-rack if you scratch. I don’t like jump cues in the game of pool either or TV colored balls for that matter! Everyone has an opinion and as long as the rules are agreed upon, let’s play by those rules.

I am sure I forgot a bunch of things in this post but most of you did not read the whole post anyways!!!

I enjoyed seeing everyone again from last year and meeting those that I have not met before and reuniting with some Chicago folks I have not seen in forever.

Would I volunteer for The Lizzinator and myself to run this again?

Maybe, possibly, it could happen, y’all need to check with Lizz since I volunteered her in the first place!!!

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
good to see you man. thanks and good job.

(good for you lizz is the brains behind the operation.....;):D)

both of you are great. take care.

:)

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
You all did a fine job and i enjoyed spending the time with you and Lizz. I was thinking the same thing about the start times you suggest.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Matt, you and Lizz were fantastic!!! Lizz sure took her job seriously!!! On a side note, I noticed she was job shopping in her "spare time" during the tournament, boy would I give her a great recommendation!!!!

Our tournament is genuinely a team effort -- I know it would not be happening if it was just up to me to make it all happen, that is for sure.

I love my tournament shirts too :)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Absolutely great job to both! I have not run a tournament before so I can only imagine the headaches that come along with it. Lizz was a trooper for sure! You are lucky to have her on your team Matt! :) Thanks again for the help on keeping an eye on my stuff too Lizz!

Hope to see you both at the next one ~

JeaLouS44

Verified Member
From
FL
Great Job.
I don't like the re-rack rule either, I played in a tourney one time and made a ball twice in a row, than on the third time scratched. :rolleyes: just spot it up, I believe that is a good compromise.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
thanks for the report matt
and thanks to you and lizz for the work you put in to help make it run smooth

chicagomike

Verified Member
Great job and as I told Liz...running a Chicago pool tournament and managing 31 grown clowns would look great on any resume. Love the shirt and proud to say it's one I'll actually wear more than once! Crab did a great job as well...trying to keep the attention of pool players long enough to call off a Calcutta roster is a magnificent task and he did it well. All involved were professional and their decisions were well respected. You all have my vote as organizers, managers, and accountants for any future events!