2013 One Pocket HOF Call for Nominations

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Well I agree about the older players.

As for Sigel and Rempe they wouldn't fit. Reed could possibly go in the after hours category. He would play if that's where the action was and it took a pretty good player to beat him. He was an action guy.

I also agree with Freddy about Worst. Had time been kinder to him it one pocket may have become his favorite, although he liked anything to do with striking the ball.
Rod.
P.S. The name of his business was "Worst Shoes" I don't remember exactly but the other shoe store in town may have been "Best Shoes" :)

Jimmy Reid is already in the After Hours Category.

Beard

Don Smith

Verified Member
Put all the old timers in this year, including Worst. Why wait? Freddy belongs, too. He has done a lot for the game.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Put all the old timers in this year, including Worst. Why wait? Freddy belongs, too. He has done a lot for the game.

I seriously doubt that Freddy would agree that he should be in the One-Pocket HOF as a player.

Freddy loves the game and loves Banks also and played them both fairly sporty from everything I've ever heard or read but get real.

Dennis

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
One of the great things about OnePocket.org is the differences of opinion, because you get to see all sides of the stories. Personally, I don't see the need to have Worst in our HOF. He is already in the BCA HOF for his general pool and billiard brilliance, but his engagement in One Pocket seems to have been relatively minimal. Although he played it incredibly well due to his immense cue talent, as far as I know he certainly did not embrace and promote the game, nor did he commit to playing it enough to warrant enshrinement in our game specific hall of fame.

I feel the same way about Mike Sigel, Jim Rempe and Jimmy Reid. At no stage in any of their stellar pool careers would you ever say, "One Pocket is their best game", for example, or "One Pocket is their favorite game". If you don't even like a game that much, why should we ever consider honoring great general players that happen to be able to transfer their immense talent to excel at One Pocket in the brief spurts that they dabble in the game? I want players and promoters in our game specific HOF who love or loved the game of One Pocket, and we reciprocate by honoring them.

But if there is sufficient momentum at the ballot box I will obviously join in honoring them. Fair is fair.

steve
among the criteria is excellent play in tournaments
who could argue that worst didnt play the best in one of the toughest tournaments possible??
it wasnt his fault that he couldnt do it for decades
but for his time on earth he was the best at each cue sport he entered into
also his peers didnt want to play him in one pocket
shouldnt that merit his inclusion in the hall of fame???
for the record i think so

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
another angle for worst
to be a hall of famer should mean you are considered in the elite level of skill at the sport in question
how much would bet against worst vs anyone already inducted??
just askin
:)

Don Smith

Verified Member
I seriously doubt that Freddy would agree that he should be in the One-Pocket HOF as a player.

Freddy loves the game and loves Banks also and played them both fairly sporty from everything I've ever heard or read but get real.

Dennis

Read what I said, "he has done a lot for the game", where did I say anything else?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Read what I said, "he has done a lot for the game", where did I say anything else?

While I have beaten, at least once, 8 of the players already in, playing even up Onepocket (for money-- add tournaments and you could add several more), I am satisfied where I am at -- in the Bank Pool Hall of Fame. Really. I get enough glory up on the podium as the Master of Ceremonies at the HOF Dinner.

I definitely relished my moment up there, but I believe others should get their chance at that kind of acknowledgement. Lord knows there is little enough of it in our racket.

Beard

And no, I aint going soft, and I aint going humble either.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
This may be a radical thought and I know there is no banquet without inductees; but at the rate we're going, we are going to run out of worthy candidates. Surely, there must be some old timers we could put in before we burn through all the recent or current players. Maybe we should slow down so the distinction means something.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
This may be a radical thought and I know there is no banquet without inductees; but at the rate we're going, we are going to run out of worthy candidates. Surely, there must be some old timers we could put in before we burn through all the recent or current players. Maybe we should slow down so the distinction means something.

I was thinkin' the same thing, especially bank pool players.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I would like to put forward Jack Hill in the "promoters of the game" category. He invented One-Pocket by all accounts and he should be first on the list.

According to Fats's book Hill taught Hubert Cokes how to play and then taught Fats.

I would also second Hubert Cokes but I don't know which category he belongs in. I've never heard that he was a top player but he bet high and was involved in many aspects of the game. I'm thinking "after-hours player" would be the right place.

Dennis

piggybank04

Verified Member
I would like to put forward Jack Hill in the "promoters of the game" category. He invented One-Pocket by all accounts and he should be first on the list.

According to Fats's book Hill taught Hubert Cokes how to play and then taught Fats.

I would also second Hubert Cokes but I don't know which category he belongs in. I've never heard that he was a top player but he bet high and was involved in many aspects of the game. I'm thinking "after-hours player" would be the right place.

Dennis
ah yes!! i was wondering who should take the blame for all the hairs ive pulled out playing this game--now i know......

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois

Dennis

While I have deemed myself ineligible for nomination, the ham in me must still set the record straight.

1 pkt Hall of Famers playing dead even:
Artie Bodendorfer, I would beat him even about 1 out of every 6 tries.
Steve Cook, beat him a few games even on table 24 in Bensingers. He did not return.
Grady, gave him 2 serious beatings even, once on table 24 and a $600 thrashing a the 4 B's club for 30, 40 and 50 a game.
Bugs Rucker, beat him for $420 at $30 a game when he was betting his own on table 24 and the 5 x 10 table 13 at Bensingers.
Marvin Henderson, 30 a game on the 5 x 10 Bensingers. He was short money.
Varner, a few times before he sold his soul to the devil.
Efren and Parica, while they were learning 1pkt.
Incardona, one out of every 4 or 5 outings, but I once beat him at the 4 B's club on the 5 x 10 giving him 9 to 8.
Strawberry Brooks, $2,500 at the Billiard Cafe and $10,000 at Bob Agins South Side pool room.

Shannon Daulton - broke even for $100 a game after he won the Childress 1pkt tourn.

Future Hall of Famer - Cliff Joyner, $1200 at $200 a game at the Billiard Cafe.

Now that is real fellas, but I still modestly wish to remove my name from consideration.:)

Beard

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
While I have deemed myself ineligible for nomination, the ham in me must still set the record straight.

1 pkt Hall of Famers playing dead even:
Artie Bodendorfer, I would beat him even about 1 out of every 6 tries.
Steve Cook, beat him a few games even on table 24 in Bensingers. He did not return.
Grady, gave him 2 serious beatings even, once on table 24 and a $600 thrashing a the 4 B's club for 30, 40 and 50 a game.
Bugs Rucker, beat him for $420 at $30 a game when he was betting his own on table 24 and the 5 x 10 table 13 at Bensingers.
Marvin Henderson, 30 a game on the 5 x 10 Bensingers. He was short money.
Varner, a few times before he sold his soul to the devil.
Efren and Parica, while they were learning 1pkt.
Incardona, one out of every 4 or 5 outings, but I once beat him at the 4 B's club on the 5 x 10 giving him 9 to 8.
Strawberry Brooks, $2,500 at the Billiard Cafe and $10,000 at Bob Agins South Side pool room.

Shannon Daulton - broke even for $100 a game after he won the Childress 1pkt tourn.

Future Hall of Famer - Cliff Joyner, $1200 at $200 a game at the Billiard Cafe.

Now that is real fellas, but I still modestly wish to remove my name from consideration.:)

Beard

Oh Freddy, you know it's not fair playing Bugs when he's betting his own, not fair at all:). And playing AB for $3 a game doesn't count either:p

Your incredible modesty does mostly shine through though:D

P.S. What do you think about Jack Hill, the inventor of the game?

Dennis

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Oh Freddy, you know it's not fair playing Bugs when he's betting his own, not fair at all:). And playing AB for $3 a game doesn't count either:p

Dennis

Artie and I did play a lot of 3, 5, and 10 a game, but we did play a few times for $100 a game, I beat him once at that with Al Fuss staking him, and he left me alone for about 6 months until I came back to my "senses."

I should put up the out-shot that I put on him for the C-note, it became one of Jersey Reds trick shots. The object ball is on the short rail right next to his pocket, the cue ball is frozen on the long rail, same side, about a diamond away from his pocket. I shot into the right pocket facing with right hand draw, the cue ball bounced back to the other facing, rebounded, and then shot the object ball straight into my pocket without scratching. Artie and Al Fuss howled like banshee's. Of course the score was 7 zip my favor with all the balls up table when I tried it.

Bugs. That was the one and only recorded instance of Bugs betting his own. Really. Two weeks later he returned, with a plethora of Backers this time, and gave me 9 to 8 and 2 out of 3 breaks and robbed me.

I heard the same things about Jack Hill. The key thing is that Lingo looked up to him. I know that One pocket originated in Oklahoma. The founder of the game should get some permanent recognition of some form, like the BCA did when they inducted the ball guy,Hyatt, who had been dead 100 years.

Beard

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ

Dennis

Did he say modesty???????

cuesmith

Verified Member
Joey Spaeth

Joey Spaeth

I'd like to see Joey Spaeth inducted this year before he's forgotten!

Sherm