2013 Bank Pool HOF Call for Nominations

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
It is time for our annual Hall of Fame nominations for our Bank Pool category.

Since we began to recognize Banks legends, we have elected sixteen well-deserving players into the Bank Pool Hall of Fame:

* Donny Anderson * Freddy 'The Beard' Bentivegna * John Brumback * Billy 'Cornbread Red' Burge * John 'Cannonball' Chapman * Shannon Daulton * Vernon Elliott * Tony ‘Fargo’ Ferguson * Truman Hogue * Larry Price * Glen 'Piggy Banks' Rogers * Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker * Gary Spaeth * Eddie 'Knoxville Bear' Taylor * Nick Varner * Javanley 'Youngblood' Washington *

Yet there are many other Bank Pool greats who certainly deserve to be honored, and it is time now to turn our attention to the next group of deserving candidates.

You are all now invited to use this nominations thread to suggest names for this year’s ballot, or to comment on the candidates that others have suggested. In November the final list of candidates will be placed into the Bank Pool Hall of Fame poll, and the voting can begin!

So, who do you like for this year’s nominees, and why should they join the legends already in the Bank Pool Hall of Fame? Don’t be shy about sharing your knowledge or opinions about who belongs on this year’s ballot; this is the right time to air it out. The more we all know about the candidates, the better informed we will be when it comes time to vote, and the more unified we will be in celebrating this coming January’s inductees.

Selection criteria for the Bank Pool Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.
2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.
3. Teachers and Promoters of the game who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of the game.

Please note that you do not have to be a tournament player to qualify for the Bank Pool Hall of Fame – action guys are a huge part of the legacy of Bank Pool, and guys that have had more of an impact as teachers and promoters of the game are clearly invited too.

The 10th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner is already scheduled for Tuesday, January 28, 2014 during the 16th Annual Derby City Classic. The dinner is a fantastic event with a very entertaining cast of characters. Besides the current inductees and their families and friends, all the previous inductees are also invited, and the crowd becomes a veritable who’s who of pool action over the years. Last year’s event sold out early and many people were turned away, so make your reservations early!

Please note, we reserve the right to limit voting to “Verified Members” only. If you feel you should be verified, and are not, please explain either by private message here, or by using the Contact Us email form. Be patient, this is done manually, case by case.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
It is time for our annual Hall of Fame nominations for our Bank Pool category.

Since we began to recognize Banks legends, we have elected sixteen well-deserving players into the Bank Pool Hall of Fame:

* Donny Anderson * Freddy 'The Beard' Bentivegna * John Brumback * Billy 'Cornbread Red' Burge * John 'Cannonball' Chapman * Shannon Daulton * Vernon Elliott * Tony ‘Fargo’ Ferguson * Truman Hogue * Larry Price * Glen 'Piggy Banks' Rogers * Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker * Gary Spaeth * Eddie 'Knoxville Bear' Taylor * Nick Varner * Javanley 'Youngblood' Washington *

Yet there are many other Bank Pool greats who certainly deserve to be honored, and it is time now to turn our attention to the next group of deserving candidates.

You are all now invited to use this nominations thread to suggest names for this year’s ballot, or to comment on the candidates that others have suggested. In November the final list of candidates will be placed into the Bank Pool Hall of Fame poll, and the voting can begin!

So, who do you like for this year’s nominees, and why should they join the legends already in the Bank Pool Hall of Fame? Don’t be shy about sharing your knowledge or opinions about who belongs on this year’s ballot; this is the right time to air it out. The more we all know about the candidates, the better informed we will be when it comes time to vote, and the more unified we will be in celebrating this coming January’s inductees.

Selection criteria for the Bank Pool Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.
2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.
3. Teachers and Promoters of the game who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of the game.

Please note that you do not have to be a tournament player to qualify for the Bank Pool Hall of Fame – action guys are a huge part of the legacy of Bank Pool, and guys that have had more of an impact as teachers and promoters of the game are clearly invited too.

The 10th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner is already scheduled for Tuesday, January 28, 2014 during the 16th Annual Derby City Classic. The dinner is a fantastic event with a very entertaining cast of characters. Besides the current inductees and their families and friends, all the previous inductees are also invited, and the crowd becomes a veritable who’s who of pool action over the years. Last year’s event sold out early and many people were turned away, so make your reservations early!

Please note, we reserve the right to limit voting to “Verified Members” only. If you feel you should be verified, and are not, please explain either by private message here, or by using the Contact Us email form. Be patient, this is done manually, case by case.

Tony "Banks" Coleman for sure.

Beard

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Would Fred or someone say a few words about Tony Coleman? I've heard the name, but yet know nothing about him.

I haven't been around bank pool for enough years to have sufficient knowledge in order to make an intelligent vote on the bank pool players who have not already been inducted into the Banks HOF. Therefore I won't place a vote. However I am curious about some of these great players who are perhaps lesser known.

~Doc

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Would Fred or someone say a few words about Tony Coleman? I've heard the name, but yet know nothing about him.

I haven't been around bank pool for enough years to have sufficient knowledge in order to make an intelligent vote on the bank pool players who have not already been inducted into the Banks HOF. Therefore I won't place a vote. However I am curious about some of these great players who are perhaps lesser known.

~Doc

I believe I gave a good account of him during last years bank pool voting. If Steve could resurrect those comments on some of the players repeating from last year that would be great. That aside, I probably have material I could put up from out of my book.

Beard

Tony wuz and iz a super-duper action guy.

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
Besides his playing ability, he is a real nice guy. I see him at DCC every year and at one of the Soaring Eagle Tournaments in Mt.Pleasant, MI (used to). A couple of years ago at Mt. Pleasant, when George Middleditch was still alive, Tony was there with, no joke, a real shopping bag full of money. The thing is, I know he won't quit until all of it is gone.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I believe I gave a good account of him during last years bank pool voting. If Steve could resurrect those comments on some of the players repeating from last year that would be great. That aside, I probably have material I could put up from out of my book. Tony wuz and iz a super-duper action guy.

I'd checked your "Encyclopedia" before I asked, but I'd looked under "C". Now I looked under "T" and you do have a nice little piece on Coleman. So he's a through ticket. Kinda like Cardone, huh?:D (just kidding, Homes!)

Doc

JG-in-KY

Verified Member
From
Whitley City, Kentucky
I will give it another shot. I nominate Clyde Childress for the Bank HOF. Maybe I just have his game overrated. Always thought he was a top notch banker and bet HIGH. Give me some feedback and maybe I can let it rest.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
I will give it another shot. I nominate Clyde Childress for the Bank HOF. Maybe I just have his game overrated. Always thought he was a top notch banker and bet HIGH. Give me some feedback and maybe I can let it rest.

Nothing wrong with Clyde. He was a top-notch banker and he would bet high. His promising career was cut short by his death in an auto accident. I had an edge over him, but I couldnt spot him anything.

Beard

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Last year's Banks HOF ballot

Last year's Banks HOF ballot

We inducted Shannon Daulton for Banks (and One Pocket) and also the late Larry Price.

Bob Bowles (deceased) – According to Eddie Taylor, Bob Bowles was the top banker in that part of the country in the generation before Eddie came to preeminence.

'Tough Tony' Brewer - One of the senior living Bank champions from Chicago, Tony has won tournaments that were loaded with Bank talent.

Clyde Childress
(deceased) – A strong and still up-and-coming player with unquestioned competitive spirit, when his life was cut short by a tragic auto accident.

Tony Coleman
- Tony has been a lively action man for years, as well as competing in many Bank tournaments. Tony finished 2nd to Varner in the first DCC Banks event.

Shannon Daulton - One of the most explosive young Bank players ever to leave his mark on the national scene, Shannon began taking on top players when he was barely in his teens. His youthful start makes him our youngest eligible candidate for our Hall of Fame.

'Buddy' Hall – One the great all-around players of the 20th Century, growing up in Bank country naturally helped Buddy develop a strong Banks game. Buddy won the 2004 Gulf Coast Classic Banks division.

Marvin Henderson (deceased) A smooth stroking all-around player who excelled at all games. Originally from Pittsburgh, PA, Marvin was in action from coast to coast.

Larry Price (deceased) – Two time winner of the Derby City Banks division (2002 and 2008), Larry was a strong competitor for many years.

Kenny ‘Romburg’ Remus (deceased) – One of ‘Bugs’ Chicago peers who sought out and beat nearly everybody, but unfortunately was killed at way too early an age.

‘Mexican Johnny’ Vasquez
(deceased) - I lifelong hustler with outstanding all-around talent; another very strong Chicago player.

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
"'Mexican Johnny’ Vasquez (deceased) - I lifelong hustler with outstanding all-around talent; another very strong Chicago player."

Originally from Fort Worth, TX.

cuesmith

Verified Member
Tony "Banks" Coleman for sure.

Beard

I agree with Freddie here. Tony has a lot of heart. He came gunning for Gary Spaeth on several occasions. He never really liked it but Gary was at his peak at the time and no one liked it! Tony always made it a very tough game and was a great guy to gamble with!

Sherm