2010 One Pocket HOF Call for Nominations

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
Apr 23, 2004
Messages
413
It is that time of year again -- time for nominations for the 7th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame ballot.

Over the last six years we have elected twenty-four well-deserving players into the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

* Ronnie 'Fast Eddie' Allen * Jack 'Jersey Red' Breit * Artie Bodendorfer * Melvin 'Strawberry' Brooks * Billy 'Cornbread Red' Burge * Marshall 'Squirrel' Carpenter * Steve Cook * Jack Cooney * Danny Di Liberto * John 'Rags' Fitzpatrick * Jimmy Fusco * Marvin Henderson * Billy Incardona * Larry 'Boston Shorty' Johnson * Ed 'Champagne Eddie' Kelly * Hayden Lingo * Grady 'Professor' Mathews * Jose Parica * Efren 'Bata' Reyes * Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker * Bill 'Weenie Beenie' Staton * Eddie 'Knoxville Bear' Taylor * Nick Varner * Rudolf 'Fats' Wanderone

Yet there are many other One Pocket greats who certainly deserve to be honored, and it is time now to turn our attention to this year's slate of deserving candidates.

You are all now invited to use this nominations thread to suggest names for this year’s ballot, or to comment on the candidates that others have suggested. In November the final list of candidates will be placed into the 7th annual OnePocket.org Hall of Fame poll, and the voting can begin!

So, who do you like for this year’s nominees, and why should they join the legends already in the One Pocket Hall of Fame? Don’t be shy about sharing your knowledge or opinions about who belongs on this year’s ballot; this is the right time to air it out. The more we all know about the candidates, the better informed we will be when it comes time to vote, and the more unified we will be in celebrating this coming January’s inductees.

Selection criteria for the One Pocket Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.

2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.

3. Teachers and Promoters of the game who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of One Pocket.

Please note that players do not have to be 'tournament winners' to qualify for the One Pocket Hall of Fame – action guys are a huge part of the legacy of One Pocket. Likewise, people that have had more of an impact as teachers and promoters of the game are clearly invited too.

The 7th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame dinner is already scheduled for Tuesday, January 25, 2011 during the 13th Annual Derby City Classic. The dinner is a fantastic event with a very entertaining cast of characters. Besides the current inductees and their families and friends, all the previous inductees are also invited, and the crowd becomes a veritable who’s who of pool action over the last 50 years. Every year this event has sold out and people are turned away, so make your reservations early!

Please note, in order to vote this year, you will have to be a “Verified Member”. If you feel you should be verified, and are not, please explain either by private message here, or by using the Contact Us email form. Be patient, this is done manually, case by case.

And finally, please get involved in the discussion; I would think that everyone here either has questions or answers or both, so there is no excuse not to jump in!
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
"Patch"

"Patch"

I'll kick it off with a new nomination, Jaffar Basheer, nee, Henry "Patch Eye" Burnett.
Fearless competitor.

Beard

Steve, I thought Patch's last name was Chapman. ??? In your interview you say Burnett.
 
Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
Dead guys to consider

Dead guys to consider

Here. IMHO, is a fair representation of some Onepocketeers to consider for selection into the dead zone section of our HOF.

John "Cannonball Lefty" Chapman, Hubert "Daddy Warbucks" Cokes, Brooklyn Johnny Ervolino, Handsome Danny Jones, Iron Joe Procita, Joey Spaeth, Mexican Johnny Vasquez, Johnny Irish Lineen, Gene Skinner, Marcel Camp.


Beard
 

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2004
Messages
467
Shannon Daulton

Shannon Daulton

I nominate Shannon Daulton. His tournament record speaks for itself, and is better than a few of the already enshrined fellas. And he's gambled since he was a kid. What's not to vote for!
 

NH Steve

Administrator
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
8,990
Terry Ardeno said:
I nominate Shannon Daulton. His tournament record speaks for itself, and is better than a few of the already enshrined fellas. And he's gambled since he was a kid. What's not to vote for!
Terry, I am a huge Daulton fan, but he and I have discussed his eligibility coming up in 2011 -- next year. I hope you redouble your enthusiasm for Shannon next year, and we put him on both the One Pocket & Banks ballots!
 

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
2,216
San Jose Dick McMorran has my vote, he played within a ball of Ronnie Allen who was one of the best one pocket players ever besides Efren. He is referenced many times in Eddie Robins books. He is still out and about mixing it up in long sessions for the cash and we are not talking chump change either.

If he was within a ball of RA then he is probably better qualified then anyone living right now, what else do you need as proof of him being a top one pocket player? As I said, check out Robins books, the One Pocket Bible! 15 years ago he beat Cliff Joyner and Dick was past his prime, check the tape from Accustats. I do hope people band together and make sure he is voted in as he rightfully deserves. :)
 

Skin

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
2,189
Lenny said it all. Dick came close last year which means he ought to have another slot on the ballot for this year. Besides beating Joyner after his layoff, I believe he also beat Parica in a money match. Parica was inducted last year, by the way.

One more endorsement. If ever God made the ideal pool player, it is San Jose Dick McMorran. Off-planet abilities, unassailable heart, very high intelligence, and good character. What's not to love if you're not from Chicago? ;)

Skin
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
Oh really?

Oh really?

Skin said:
Lenny said it all. Dick came close last year which means he ought to have another slot on the ballot for this year. Besides beating Joyner after his layoff, I believe he also beat Parica in a money match. Parica was inducted last year, by the way.

One more endorsement. If ever God made the ideal pool player, it is San Jose Dick McMorran. Off-planet abilities, unassailable heart, very high intelligence, and good character. What's not to love if you're not from Chicago? ;)

Skin
Parica? Even? Really? Me no believe.

Beard
 

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Joined
Dec 7, 2007
Messages
9,226
Setting it straight...

Setting it straight...

Thanks for the kudos Skin, but I have never played Jose head up. You may have heard about be the time I won a big $$$ match, shooting between Parica and Tommy Delorenzo, as my own partner.

I was about 65 at the time, and Tommy was staking Jose. That is how the game came up as I had refused to play him without weight. I was headed into senility at that time (but not stupidity)...He was in his prime. I was no doubt better off that he declined to give it up.

PS...Funny side note...Tommy actually played better than Jose did in that particular match. If Tommy had not gone ballistic (which he was prone to do)...we might still be playing...;).
 

u12armresl

Verified Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2008
Messages
399
I nominate Larry York.

While he had no tournament wins, no one was ever turned away from a one pocket game at the pool hall and he never turned down any game while we were out on the road.

They weren't 10k matches, but they for all we had, and isn't that the true gamble, not if you have a million and play for $100 a game, but if you have 1k and play a set for that.

He's played everyone including Parica when he came through Indianapolis, he even played Bugs, Bug's best friend and a backer for a long time is from Indy and Larry and Bugs matched it up while he was in town, nothing huge, but he did get in the arena.

He was always willing to help someone learn the game and show them what he knew. Never charged lessons, but when you played him, he tried his best and would help you and show you how the game was supposed to be played.

I can't think of every single person who came through, but they came through and often.

He's my submission.
 

Guest

Guest
Joined
Jan 19, 2010
Messages
947
SJDinPHX said:
Thanks for the kudos Skin, but I have never played Jose head up. You may have heard about be the time I won a big $$$ match, shooting between Parica and Tommy Delorenzo, as my own partner.

I was about 65 at the time, and Tommy was staking Jose. That is how the game came up as I had refused to play him without weight. I was headed into senility at that time (but not stupidity)...He was in his prime. I was no doubt better off that he declined to give it up.

PS...Funny side note...Tommy actually played better than Jose did in that particular match. If Tommy had not gone ballistic (which he was prone to do)...we might still be playing...;).
Thanks for setting it straight, my Duck.
 

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2004
Messages
467
NH Steve said:
Terry, I am a huge Daulton fan, but he and I have discussed his eligibility coming up in 2011 -- next year. I hope you redouble your enthusiasm for Shannon next year, and we put him on both the One Pocket & Banks ballots!
Steve,
I've been curious as to why this "20 year rule" is so strongly applied to Shannon each time he's nominated?

Is this 20 years after the players 1st tournament win? If so, Efren Reyes won his 1st tournament in 1985 but was enshrined here in 2004. 19 years.

Shannon has been in action for OVER 20 years. Here's the point I'm trying to make. Many of the great players already enshrined are there based on their gambling exploits only. Several of them eschewed tournaments and thus, they have no notable wins on their resume. But they were still elected based on the fact that they were gamblers (money players). So using that same thought process, Daulton has been gambling well OVER 20 years. So I'm assuming that his gambling background is not going to be considered. If he gets on the ballot in 2011, it will be based on his tournament record only, right? To applaud his gambling exploits when he's inducted at some time but to not credit him with gambling when it comes to the "20 year" clock is a little confusing.

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm pretty certain that somewhere here or over at AZB in another thread about 3 years ago, you said that Daulton would be eligible in 2010. Now it's pushed back another year again. I just hope he eventually does get in. It really seems like he's being excluded because he's not an old guy. Even though he won so many great events at such a young age. It's not his fault that he won these so early in his career.

Here's some links to this discussion on AZB from the last couple years. Many support him.
http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=118537

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=180643&page=2

Steve, this is your site. I'm very very grateful for all that you've done to ensure that these great players whom the BCA has ignored (boycotted?) have their much due recognition. Without you and this site, look at how many of these great champions would have never had this great honor.
Thank you for your love and support for all these great champions.

I feel a little better getting some of this off my chest. I'm not mad or angry, just frustrated and a little bit confused. Don't hold it against me, I'll be better tommorrow. :)
 

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2004
Messages
467
Fast Lenny said:
San Jose Dick McMorran has my vote, he played within a ball of Ronnie Allen who was one of the best one pocket players ever besides Efren. He is referenced many times in Eddie Robins books. He is still out and about mixing it up in long sessions for the cash and we are not talking chump change either.

If he was within a ball of RA then he is probably better qualified then anyone living right now, what else do you need as proof of him being a top one pocket player? As I said, check out Robins books, the One Pocket Bible! 15 years ago he beat Cliff Joyner and Dick was past his prime, check the tape from Accustats. I do hope people band together and make sure he is voted in as he rightfully deserves. :)

I'll be voting for SJD as well.

You've been a stalwart friend of his for years Lenny. Thanks for that.
 

Skin

Verified Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2008
Messages
2,189
SJDinPHX said:
Skin...I have never played Jose head up. You may have heard about be the time I won a big $$$ match, shooting between Parica and Tommy Delorenzo, as my own partner.
I only remember a litle blurb on here a year or two ago about a match in the past and you winning. Could be that was it. Thanks for filling in the the rest.

Skin
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
15,361
Terry Ardeno said:
Steve,
I think I found one of the places that made me think he'd (Shannon Daulton) would be on the 2010 ballot. It's post # 17 in this thread (from 2008)....
http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2223&page=5

It's probably a moot point but at least I tried! :D
terry 20 years from 1991 would be 2011. steve alluded to consideration for year(s) but did not put it in stone.
most of the members in the HOF were winners for 20-30 or more years.
i havent followed shannons career closely but except for his winnings at a young age did he continue past his prodige entrance onto the scene or did he he somewhat peter out as he "matured"
just asking because i dont know
 

lll

Verified Member
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
15,361
lenny ,skin and anyone else who endorsed dick mcmorran(sp) sjd
i vote for him also,
if eddie robbins books are considered the gold standard of 1p books.
dicks mention in them should be enough credibility to include him in the HOF
 

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2004
Messages
9,981
Well, I can't WAIT to see what's going to happen this year. Last year Parica rightfully got in. A surprise development was the induction of a player who --although he finished 4th in the voting-- was given the nod by way of an unexpected "deceased" category. Perhaps Beard is just a great campaigner.;)

Since there has been no mention of the "deceased" category this time around, I'm left to wonder if it will be in place this year. If so, I think it would be fair to establish it at the git-go. Here is the thread where this issue was discussed last year:

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3455

If there is a deceased category this year, I like Ervolino. Otherwise I like Clem Metz, Buddy Hall, and Allen Hopkins. I'm not sure if Metz is still alive, so that may affect his grouping. Everyone I've ever heard talk about Metz said that he was at the very top of the excellence list. His chances of induction are slim, because he's not a marquee name.

For Teachers and Promoters, I like Greg Sullivan and Eddie Robin, in that order. Granted, Eddie is something of a loose cannon, and there are a couple of guys on this forum who are not big fans of his. But he got some important books published that we all have; and would probably not have seen the light of day without him.

Doc
 

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Messages
6,690
Surprised development?

Surprised development?

gulfportdoc said:
Well, I can't WAIT to see what's going to happen this year. Last year Parica rightfully got in. A surprise development was the induction of a player who --although he finished 4th in the voting-- was given the nod by way of an unexpected "deceased" category. Perhaps Beard is just a great campaigner.;)

Since there has been no mention of the "deceased" category this time around, I'm left to wonder if it will be in place this year. If so, I think it would be fair to establish it at the git-go. Here is the thread where this issue was discussed last year:

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3455

If there is a deceased category this year, I like Ervolino. Otherwise I like Clem Metz, Buddy Hall, and Allen Hopkins. I'm not sure if Metz is still alive, so that may affect his grouping. Everyone I've ever heard talk about Metz said that he was at the very top of the excellence list. His chances of induction are slim, because he's not a marquee name.

For Teachers and Promoters, I like Greg Sullivan and Eddie Robin, in that order. Granted, Eddie is something of a loose cannon, and there are a couple of guys on this forum who are not big fans of his. But he got some important books published that we all have; and would probably not have seen the light of day without him.

Doc

Unexpected deceased category? Doc, that category has been in place every year so far. How do you think guys like Hayden Lingo, Cannonball, Youngblood Washington, etc., got in? Give yourself an adjustment.

Beard

At least you are right about Clem Metz and Allen Hopkins. Hopkins was rated #1 in the world for a couple years. Clem beat Eddie Taylor even in Cinncinnati, so ...
Greg Sullivan has been one of pool's greatest promoters, and lets not forget Bob Jewett, and maybe even Mike Shamus.
 
Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
8,990
gulfportdoc said:
Well, I can't WAIT to see what's going to happen this year. Last year Parica rightfully got in. A surprise development was the induction of a player who --although he finished 4th in the voting-- was given the nod by way of an unexpected "deceased" category. Perhaps Beard is just a great campaigner.;)

Since there has been no mention of the "deceased" category this time around, I'm left to wonder if it will be in place this year. If so, I think it would be fair to establish it at the git-go. Here is the thread where this issue was discussed last year:

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3455

If there is a deceased category this year, I like Ervolino. Otherwise I like Clem Metz, Buddy Hall, and Allen Hopkins. I'm not sure if Metz is still alive, so that may affect his grouping. Everyone I've ever heard talk about Metz said that he was at the very top of the excellence list. His chances of induction are slim, because he's not a marquee name.

For Teachers and Promoters, I like Greg Sullivan and Eddie Robin, in that order. Granted, Eddie is something of a loose cannon, and there are a couple of guys on this forum who are not big fans of his. But he got some important books published that we all have; and would probably not have seen the light of day without him.

Doc
I guess I could have been clearer about the living/deceased candidates in the past, however, we have done exactly that for at least the last three years, not just last year -- i.e. we inducted the highest living vote getter (in some years more than one) and the highest deceased vote getter (not necessarily second highest overall).

Each year we have reduced the numbers of inductees we bring in. We started with quite a few in the beginning simply because we felt like since we were starting from scratch, with such a long history of great players, we needed to get a body of inductees in place to start with. We now have that body of great players in place and there is no reason to load up on the inductions each year.

In fact, we have been heading in the direction of just one inductee for One Pocket and Bank Pool. We could even cut back further, so we bring in a deceased player only every other year or something along those lines -- kind of a legacy category.
 
Top