2007 Bank Pool HOF call for nominations

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
It is also time for the 3rd year of nominations for our Bank Pool Hall of Fame.

Over the last two years we have elected nine well-deserving players into the Bank Pool Hall of Fame:

* Freddy 'The Beard' Bentivegna * Billy 'Cornbread Red' Burge * John 'Cannonball' Chapman * Vernon Elliott * Truman Hogue * Leonard 'Bugs' Rucker * Gary Spaeth * Eddie 'Knoxville Bear' Taylor * Javanley 'Youngblood' Washington *

Yet there are many other Bank Pool greats who certainly deserve to be honored, and it is time now to turn our attention to the next group of deserving candidates.

You are all now invited to use this nominations thread to suggest names for this year’s ballot, or to comment on the candidates that others have suggested. In early November the final list of candidates will be placed into the OnePocket.org Hall of Fame poll, and the voting can begin!

So, who do you like for this year’s nominees, and why should they join the legends already in the Bank Pool Hall of Fame? Don’t be shy about sharing your knowledge or opinions about who belongs on this year’s ballot; this is the right time to air it out. The more we all know about the candidates, the better informed we will be when it comes time to vote, and the more unified we will be in celebrating this coming January’s inductees.

Selection criteria for the Bank Pool Hall of Fame:

1. Great Players who have demonstrated their excellence in tournament competition over time.
2. After Hours Legends who have demonstrated their excellence and their heart by matching up against the best of their time.
3. Teachers and Promoters of the game who have had a lasting impact on the growth and popularity of the game.

Please note that you do not have to be a tournament player to qualify for the Bank Pool Hall of Fame – action guys are a huge part of the legacy of Bank Pool, and guys that have had more of an impact as teachers and promoters of the game are clearly invited too.

The 4th annual One Pocket Hall of Fame legends dinner is already scheduled for Tuesday, January 8, 2008 during the 10th Annual Derby City Classic. The dinner is a fantastic event with a very entertaining cast of characters. Besides the current inductees and their families and friends, all the previous inductees are also invited, and the crowd becomes a veritable who’s who of pool action over the last 50 years. Last year’s event sold out early and many people were turned away, so make your reservations early!

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
My initial picks

My initial picks

Pick #1, I think this is a must, not so much that he is old and ailing, but mainly because he played so good. Donnie Anderson.
Pick #2 Tony Fargo Ferguson. He is still playing pretty good. Played at or near the top for many years.
Pick #3 Glen Piggy Bank Rogers. Been around long enough and has played at a very high level for over 25 years.

the Beard

reserve your autographed pre pub copies of my upcoming DVD's, "Bank Shot that dont Go, but Do." vol 1 & 2 by going to my web or blog and sending me an email with your info.

Last edited:

MFH

Verified Member
From
NJ
I agree with all the nominations so far, and I"d like to throw a couple more names into the mix:

Kenny "Romberg" Remus -- A Chicago great who left us far too early. Fred can certainly attest to how well he played.

Greg Sullivan: Before 1999, major banks tournaments were just about extinct. Enter Greg Sullivan and the Derby City Classic. The Banks event in Louisville every January has grown every year, drawing about 400 players last year (I believe). Bank pool is alive and very well!

fasteddiecues

Verified Member
bank and one pocket

bank and one pocket

banks donnie anderson tony fargo greg sullivan one pocket it has to be the one and only fats who brought fame to the game of pool

Strokerz

Nick Varner, Larry Price
2 former Derby City Champs and 2 fellas who will play banks with any one:D

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Romberg

Romberg

BigSnook said:
I agree with all the nominations so far, and I"d like to throw a couple more names into the mix:

Kenny "Romberg" Remus -- A Chicago great who left us far too early. Fred can certainly attest to how well he played.

Greg Sullivan: Before 1999, major banks tournaments were just about extinct. Enter Greg Sullivan and the Derby City Classic. The Banks event in Louisville every January has grown every year, drawing about 400 players last year (I believe). Bank pool is alive and very well!

While certainly deserving, Romberg probably wont get elected for a long time. He just wasnt well known enough.

If there aint any category for Greg Sullivan,then we should have to invent one. In the first place, Im gonna snitch him off, he plays banks pretty sporty himself. But his support and promotion of the bank game is unrivaled.

the Beard
I've got 2 new trick banks up on my blog, www.bankingwiththebeard.blogspot.com/ Do you think you can make 'em? I don't think so.

ugotaction

Verified Member
Tony Fargo... still hittin'em pretty darn straight!

Tony Fargo... still hittin'em pretty darn straight!

I was actually talking to tony tonight about this very thing. He pops in from time to time at a little tournament just north of Dallas. He came through last year and was hanging out with Roger Griffis (who also lives around here) He was on the lemon till we figured him out... Can you blame him?

I gotta tell you, this guy is still a machine, even though he "says" he hasn't been playing much. We talked for quite a while about the state of things. I know he doesn't think much of short rack banks, but that seems to be the general opinion of many old school bankers.

Anyway, I really like the guy and would love to see him get a little recognition.
If even HALF of the stuff I've heard about him is true, He's beaten them all!

Does anyone have any stories? I'd love to hear them

If anyone here is going to be at the Dallas Open One-Pocket tournament this week, I'll see you there... we should meet!

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Fargo

Fargo

ugotaction said:
I was actually talking to tony tonight about this very thing. He pops in from time to time at a little tournament just north of Dallas. He came through last year and was hanging out with Roger Griffis (who also lives around here) He was on the lemon till we figured him out... Can you blame him?

I gotta tell you, this guy is still a machine, even though he "says" he hasn't been playing much. We talked for quite a while about the state of things. I know he doesn't think much of short rack banks, but that seems to be the general opinion of many old school bankers.

Anyway, I really like the guy and would love to see him get a little recognition.
If even HALF of the stuff I've heard about him is true, He's beaten them all!

Does anyone have any stories? I'd love to hear them

If anyone here is going to be at the Dallas Open One-Pocket tournament this week, I'll see you there... we should meet!

Tony Fargo has at one time or another beaten everyone playing even banks (except me, just ask him). I know he beat Vernon Eliot in Detroit and he beat Bugs in Columbia SC, and Piggy Banks in Chicago. Bugs beat him back, in Detroit and Chicago. He's a terrific banker and worthy of induction.

the Beard

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Updated list of nominations

Updated list of nominations

Below listed are the Bank Pool nominations that have come up for this year's Hall of Fame Banks ballot.

Donny 'Cincinatti Kid' Anderson
Tony 'Fargo' Ferguson
Larry Price
Kenny 'Romburg' Remus
Glen 'Piggy Banks' Rogers
Greg Sullivan
Nick Varner
Rudolf 'Fats' Wanderone

This is a very fine group of candidates, but it is not too late to add to this list if one of your favorites is not yet included...

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Tony Banks

Tony Banks

onepocket said:
Below listed are the Bank Pool nominations that have come up for this year's Hall of Fame Banks ballot.

Tony 'Fargo' Ferguson
Larry Price
Kenny 'Romburg' Remus
Greg Sullivan
Nick Varner
Rudolf 'Fats' Wanderone

This is a very fine group of candidates, but it is not too late to add to this list if one of your favorites is not yet included...

Tony "Banks" Coleman. Still playing pretty good and never barred nobody.
Deserves consideration.

the Beard

playboy

SHANNON DAULTON

It would be a shame if he's not voted ..He's been playing top notch pool(all games) for twenty years!

ugotaction

Verified Member
How does it work?

How does it work?

onepocket said:

Tony 'Fargo' Ferguson
Larry Price
Kenny 'Romburg' Remus
Greg Sullivan
Nick Varner
Rudolf 'Fats' Wanderone

I was just wondering how many get in each year, and how the voting works?

BackPocket9Ball

Verified Member
From
Philadelphia
John Brumback is one of the best all-around players I have ever seen, and a threat to beat anyone playing banks at any time. He's not that young anymore I don't think, and he's been in the top 3 several times.

Jason Miller is the only two-time winner at Derby City, and almost as strong of an all-around player as Brumback. But perhaps he is a little too young yet.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
ugotaction said:
I was just wondering how many get in each year, and how the voting works?
The official ballots will be posted this weekend, with the voting remaining open for about three weeks. You have to be a registered member of OnePocket.org in order to vote. "New Members" are not eligible for 30 days. All voters will be subject to vetting as to their real identity and interest in voting, and subject to having their vote tossed if they cannot be verified.

Members have one opportunity to vote, but can select more than one candidate, and there are separate ballots for Bank Pool and One Pocket.

At least the top vote getter in each category will get in. Each year the number of players going in has gone down, and this may be the first year that only one from each ballot goes in.

Pelican

Verified Member
From
Magnolia Springs, AL
"this may be the first year that only one from each ballot goes in"

May be a good thing Steve. Start putting a load in each year and pretty soon there ain't nobody left to go in. I also don't think that anyone that is still playing in their prime should be eligible. Most sports you have to be out for a period of time to be eligible. JMHO

Pel

JohnInNH

Verified Member
From
GOFFSTOWN, NH
RE: Bank Pool Hall of Fame

RE: Bank Pool Hall of Fame

Hi all,

Not knowing much about bank pool past greats I must depend on the experts for their insight into the great players, with this in mind I want to second the beards nomination of "Pick #1, I think this is a must, not so much that he is old and ailing, but mainly because he played so good. Donnie Anderson.
Pick #2 Tony Fargo Ferguson. He is still playing pretty good. Played at or near the top for many years. Pick #3 Glen Piggy Bank Rogers. Been around long enough and has played at a very high level for over 25 years.

1. Donnie Anderson
2. Tony Fargo Ferguson
3. Piggy Banks
4. Greg Sullivan

Having been around banks and the Derby City Classic for a few years now I must include my choice "Greg Sullivan" as someone that I feel has made a tremendous impact in the game of Banks, other games as well but since we're talking about banks, I'm sure most of you will agree that Greg Sullivan belongs in the hall of fame, thanks Greg for supporting the playing of Banks at the DCC and other venues as well, we bank players appreciate it.

John