1st Annual Super Senior Social Security Open One Pocket Classic Championship

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I think that's 10 entered now, and by the way, David Richardson just told me Bogies could accommodate as many as 24 players. That's a lot of old farts stinking up the joint!
Jeff, I wonder if you would say a word or two about the equipment at Bogies'. Are they GCs; Diamonds; other? Does the house keep them in pretty good shape?

That's the place NW of the int'l airport, right?

Thanks~
Doc

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
You have the money and the time , just do it. You might be able to get a Gin Rummy game. Dr. Bill
I'll be 73 and can't remember the cards my opponent plays so how can I play GIN, in onepocket I always forget my pocket but I can win by telling my opponent he shot the balls in the wrong pocket . I played a guy last week onepocket and paid him $30 because I thought I lost 1 game my son told me I'm losing it I told my son I wanted to see if the guy was honest. My son proved to me I broke even. I told him it was a good investment. True story age caught up to me. I told you when you were young you looked for the suckers ,now look in the mirror because you're the sucker which is a good thing because being the sucker means you got the cash. So when you lose it doesn't hurt too much.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Open to players 70 years of age and over

Bogies Houston (FM 1960)

October 23, 24, 25

$200 entry

$2000 (+?) added

Race to 3 (4?), Double elimination.

How far is Bogies from the airport and how far is the hotels from Bogies? What Airport?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
I'll be 73 and can't remember the cards my opponent plays so how can I play GIN, in onepocket I always forget my pocket but I can win by telling my opponent he shot the balls in the wrong pocket . I played a guy last week onepocket and paid him $30 because I thought I lost 1 game my son told me I'm losing it I told my son I wanted to see if the guy was honest. My son proved to me I broke even. I told him it was a good investment. True story age caught up to me. I told you when you were young you looked for the suckers ,now look in the mirror because you're the sucker which is a good thing because being the sucker means you got the cash. So when you lose it doesn't hurt too much.

Yea, your right. Just like Hendy say's "i'm the guy I used to look for." Can't remember the last time I lost at the rate i'm losing at now, true. The only good thing about it is..nobody believes me and i'm not getting action.:(

Dr. Bill

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
How far is Bogies from the airport and how far is the hotels from Bogies? What Airport?

I'll tell what little I think I know.

The closest airport is Geroge Bush (I think that's the name now... used to be Hobby I think.) It is about (guessing) 7-10 miles due East of Bogies.

Hotels galore, closest respectable within a couple miles.

A long way to Downtown and the Galleria. 20 miles I'm guessing.

Jeff or Androd can correct or add to any of this.

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
Yea, your right. Just like Hendy say's "i'm the guy I used to look for." Can't remember the last time I lost at the rate i'm losing at now, true. The only good thing about it is..nobody believes me and i'm not getting action.:(

Dr. Bill
You're a funny guy, believe me I saw you lose to Scooter even and I forgot his name but you booked 2 losers in a row. But in your defense you took it like a man and eat more ice cream then anybody else.you got even on ice cream.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Jeff, I wonder if you would say a word or two about the equipment at Bogies'. Are they GCs; Diamonds; other? Does the house keep them in pretty good shape?

That's the place NW of the int'l airport, right?

Thanks~
Doc

Sorry about the delay Doc,

Forgot where I put my bottle of Geritol and I dozed off for a few hours. Jtom wore me out!!
I believe Bogies has seven 9' gold crowns with moderate to tight pockets and all will have new cloth put on especially for us. David really wants this to be a nice event for all of us, he's a for real good guy and once you meet him you'll like him.

P.S. It's close to Bush, 6 miles or so N/W and prolly 30 miles from Hobby.

Jeff

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Good questions. My wife wants to go with me and wants to know how far to the middle of Houston. She can only watch so much one pocket.

Please bring her Frank, lots of hotels close by, and more importantly, lots of great shopping. Bogies is about 20 miles from the Galleria, one of the most famous shopping arenas in the world.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Welcome to all

Welcome to all

As to the field, it's an open tournament, 70 year olds and upward, anyone who's 70th birthday falls within the calendar year 2015 qualifies. And for those of you who may be concerned with ringers? If by some remote chance there is a player who is 70 and has stayed undercover for his whole life, he's welcome also.

If he's been out there all this time incognito, living the dream that someday, someone would have a Super Senior One Pocket tournament for 70 year olds and over, well, here it is, come on and see if you can take down the cheese!

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Forgot to mention, field limited to the first 16 players to post entry

So far:

Wincardona
Jeff Sparks
jrhendy
GulofportDoc
LSJohn
Frank Almanza[/QUOTE
Maurice LeBlanc ( new member )

And;
John Rizzo
James Christopher
Bob McFarren

That's 10. Need 6 more to play the event, but we could end up with as many as 24, and several alternates.

Looking forward to meeting each and everyone,

Jeff

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Im 2 years off the mark at 68.
But am willing to send a C note to boost the prize pool.
Maybe we can start a collection for those of us who cant qualify or cant attend.
Boosting prize pool allows more people to get in the money.
Be best if we can send it to a central location like Steve or Billy.

That's a nice gesture keoneyo, and one I'm sure the players would be appreciative of. John Rizzo is accepting all donations and entry fees at Bogie's in Houston. The address is posted in this thread. I've known Rizzo for 50 years, every nickel he receives will end up in the hands of the winning players of this event.

keoneyo,
On behalf of all the players,
Thank you

Last edited:

Cory in dc

Verified Member
I'll tell what little I think I know.

The closest airport is Geroge Bush (I think that's the name now... used to be Hobby I think.) It is about (guessing) 7-10 miles due East of Bogies.

Hotels galore, closest respectable within a couple miles.

A long way to Downtown and the Galleria. 20 miles I'm guessing.

Jeff or Androd can correct or add to any of this.

I'm originally from Houston; with any luck, I might combine a trip home with a trip to Bogies in late October.

Bogies is very close to the main Houston airport, IAH, about 10 minutes from Bogies to the rental car lot. It's far from Hobby, but you probably have to fly into Hobby if you take Southwest.

Humble, the Woodlands, and Kingwood are all nice places not too far away to get a hotel. That's if you have a spouse or other person with you. If not, there must be tons of motels along FM 1960 that are cheap and probably don't have bedbugs (they'll have roaches, though; welcome to Houston, where even the Four Seasons will have some roaches!).

If you do bring someone with you, it wouldn't be crazy to stay downtown and travel up the Hardy Toll Road to/from Bogies. 25 minutes with no traffic, maybe an extra 10-15 with traffic. Houston's dowtown used to be a graveyard after 6:00 but I understand there's a lot more to do there nowadays. Restaurants, wine bars, shows, etc. The Galleria area would also be nice, but it could be a *real* pain to get from there to/from Bogies during rush hour. Westheimer, 610, 59, I-10, Memorial Parkway are all options, but all will suck during rush hour.

I had a flight delay last time I was in Houston and went to Bogies for a few hours. There were three 9' Gold Crowns right by the bar and one or two 9' Diamonds off to the side. Spacing between tables was pretty good. A bunch of bar tables in the back. I played an old timer some 1P on a Gold Crown. The table played great, maybe a little faster then a typical Gold Crown. Overall, I liked the room. Beers were something like $1.75 or $2.25 -- half the price in the DC area!

Cory

P.S. LSJohn: in Texas, 20 miles is not "a long way", it's "just down the road."

FastEddieF.

Verified Member
I'm on the fence about going what hotel and how far it is from the airport if someone could tell me I would appreciate it. Suggestions please.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I'm on the fence about going what hotel and how far it is from the airport if someone could tell me I would appreciate it. Suggestions please.

I was thinking Bogies was West of I-45 but it's East, therefore a lot closer to the airport ( George Bush Intercontinental) than I thought. Couple of miles or so. Bound to be hotels close.

Look at this map

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas

Lots and lots of hotels along the I 45 corridor, many within 5 miles of Bogies. Try to come if possible, I'm sure places to stay will be plentiful, and we'd really like to meet you, and have you play in the inaugural Seniors Classic. Hopefully the event will max out with entries (24) and we will all have a great time.

Jeff

Last edited: