1p wwyd

jtompilot

Verified Member
And the seven ball might carom into the pocket, then you'd have a shot on the nine.
Or your opponent two rails the 9 into the bottom of the 14, the 9 scoots along the foot rail and goes in or the 4 does and now your worse off than before

wincardona

Verified Member
After the break, your hole is bottom left. 0-0. Easy pockets :)

For those who like the "drag" shot off the 1ball and dropping under the 4ball allow me to offer my perspective on the situation. In this situation you must either move the 4ball or position a ball on your side of the table and protect it. As long as the 4ball stays in the position it's in you are always at risk of losing the game. Dropping under the 4ball doesn't get you out of the trap, a high percentage of the time you will leave your opponent an angle to kick you back "up table" two cushions to the top left long rail. From there you will be in a worse position then from where you shot from.:eek: Then there are times when choosing this option that you hit it reasonably well and scratch off the 4ball.:( What an injustice, you struck the shot well and you're paying for it.:mad: Yes I would be upset as well.:) Some might say..Well, what else can you do to move the 4ball or change the position to get out of the trap?: BUY SOME TIME An expression we often hear and it certainly applies here.:D

Lets take a look at Rod's shot with sticking on the 6ball by shooting off the 7ball...Firstly, it's an easy shot to execute being only two feet from the object ball, and because of the easiness with the execution of the shot you can now hit it with more speed if you feel it benefits you. By choosing to hit the shot with more speed you then increase your chances of sending a ball to your side of the table and protect it because of the position of the 9ball.:cool: Yes the 9ball is an important ball for the shooter in this instance because it acts like a blockade for any ball or balls that may end up on your side of the table (providing you stick the cue ball on the 6ball) Now you're in business and not only are you working your self out of the trap you're also building one for yourself as well. If your not fortunate enough for a ball to travel to your side then your still BUYING TIME and allowing your opponent back at the table to do something foolish. (which more often then you think actually happens):D

Dr. Bill

jtompilot

Verified Member
I just wanted to give a different perspective on thinking the 9 ball is a good blocker. To me it's like fools gold.

I've played guys like Tom and Rob that can use what we think is a blocker ball, and use it to turn the whole game around. I'm not saying that can happen in this layout, but I can tell you the guys I play will look for that shot. They get the gold and you look like the fool.

PS. Yes I'm moving to New Orleans

androd

Verified Member
Lets take a look at Rod's shot with sticking on the 6ball by shooting off the 7ball...Firstly, it's an easy shot to execute being only two feet from the object ball, and because of the easiness with the execution of the shot you can now hit it with more speed if you feel it benefits you. By choosing to hit the shot with more speed you then increase your chances of sending a ball to your side of the table and protect it because of the position of the 9ball.:cool: Yes the 9ball is an important ball for the shooter in this instance because it acts like a blockade for any ball or balls that may end up on your side of the table (providing you stick the cue ball on the 6ball) Now you're in business and not only are you working your self out of the trap you're also building one for yourself as well. If your not fortunate enough for a ball to travel to your side then your still BUYING TIME and allowing your opponent back at the table to do something foolish. (which more often then you think actually happens):D

Dr. Bill
Thanx, but it was Island Drive's shot. (one of three actually) I was agreeing with him. :)
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
Or your opponent two rails the 9 into the bottom of the 14, the 9 scoots along the foot rail and goes in or the 4 does and now your worse off than before
Jim, of course there are bad things that can happen by shooting the stick shot, but they aren't going to happen because of your execution of the shot. With that understanding you have then gotten over a hurdle, and a big one at that.;) We can go ..on and on..about what options may develop from sticking on the 6ball or playing off the 1ball, however, the important information being given here by sticking on the 6ball is ..a way to buy some time in a very bad situation where by doing this you just might be able to work yourself out of the trap. Sorta like the ..lesser of two evils..

The shooter isn't the favorite from this position, it's not about ..liking your position after sticking on the 6ball.. it's about survival, or trying to survive.

We can survive in situations like this one in a few different ways. One is to play a difficult shot and execute it well, another way is to play a simple shot and allow your opponent to do something that allows you a better opportunity to escape the next time you're back at the table. I'm sure you understand that with as many frequent flyer miles you have.:D

Dr. Bill

wincardona

Verified Member
Almost looks like I could elevate my cue and hit it a with 3 o'clock spinner and bank it back to my side and put you a couple diamonds up on the long rail. Or I could just make that ball and maker sure you don't see a full ball of any of the two lower concerning balls. I also like shooting the seven and sticking em behind the six, and bank the combo towards my hole
Yes, sticking on the 6ball is my choice as well as Rod's, and probably many other players as well. Very appealing shot from a very threatening position. This shot keeps you in the race, as opposed to stumbling out of the blocks. Right Jim??

Dr. Bill

onepockethacker

Verified Member
Yes, sticking on the 6ball is my choice as well as Rod's, and probably many other players as well. Very appealing shot from a very threatening position. This shot keeps you in the race, as opposed to stumbling out of the blocks. Right Jim??

Dr. Bill
Billy this imo is one of the few times you have been wrong in these WWYD's. In this situation Jim is right, it is fools gold.

P.S. does the 8 ball go in your opponents pocket? its hard to tell.

Last edited:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
If i don't feel comfortable spinning through the gap to the rail on the bottom side of the 4, I've got to take the easy intentional, anything else is most likely a flyer and loss of game. I think the key phrases here on the other shots mentioned are "maybe" i can bank one on my side....lol

onepockethacker

Verified Member
My shot in this situation would definitely be to shoot the 9 ball just to the left of the 4 ball hard. Banking the 9 ball off the rail into the 4 ball moving both balls and possibly others toward my side of the table. Im spinning the cue ball up table leaving him by the head rail. There is no way im leaving that 4 ball where it is in this situation. Yes my opponent will have a long shot on the 1 ball if he wants it but not much to shoot at after.

wincardona

Verified Member
My shot in this situation would definitely be to shoot the 9 ball just to the left of the 4 ball hard. Banking the 9 ball off the rail into the 4 ball moving both balls and possibly others toward my side of the table. Im spinning the cue ball up table leaving him by the head rail. There is no way im leaving that 4 ball where it is in this situation. Yes my opponent will have a long shot on the 1 ball if he wants it but not much to shoot at after.
I looked at your shot and considered it but didn't like it against good players. Challenging a good player with the 1ball will not work out in your favor, I have had too much experience in this specific area. I do understand the importance of moving the 4ball, however, i'm not going to try to move it at the expense of leaving the 1ball against a good player. When I speak about good players i'm speaking about players like your self and up and there are many of them.:sorry No 1ball for you. Incidentally, i'm basing this on the 8ball passing to the pocket. However, if the 1ball was one diamond further down the rail taking away (for the most part) position for the 8ball it would present a less attractive shot for your opponent, and it would also be a more difficult hit as well. From this new position I would choose your option as my first choice, but not in this position because of how high on the rail the 1ball is laying. If the 8ball is blocked from the pocket by the 12ball then I wouldn't hesitate and shoot your shot off the 9ball to move the 4ball, but only if the 8ball didn't pass.

In regard to leaving a return shot with the 9ball I understand your point, however, the angle I will leave for the 9ball will be too awkward for my opponent to shoot and stop or bring the cue ball back to the pack. A player with experience (like myself) will not serve up a natural angle on the 9ball or any ball for his opponent to screw him with, particularly in situations where controlling the cue ball is not difficult, like in this situation. Another point to consider is..how are you (or any player) for that matter going to control the cue ball if it's frozen on the 6ball.:confused: It's not going to be served up to you like a "room service" order. Unless there's some dumping going on.

But your points are well taken in regard to moving the 4ball (when appropriate) and not leaving a natural angle on balls like the 9ball when playing options to buy time with.

LETS TRY TO KEEP OUR PLAY ABOVE MEDIOCRE SPEED.
No 1ball for you. If you look at the opening of the thread it was mentioned that the pockets are easy.
No return shot with the 9ball either.

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
Since there's plenty of room between the 9 and 3 balls, I'm surprised that none of you would go for the easy bank on the 4 ball. The 4 comes across to your pocket, and the CB goes up the opponent's long rail. Intentional scratches and Hail Mary shots are not necessary.

~Doc

androd

Verified Member
Since there's plenty of room between the 9 and 3 balls, I'm surprised that none of you would go for the easy bank on the 4 ball. The 4 comes across to your pocket, and the CB goes up the opponent's long rail. Intentional scratches and Hail Mary shots are not necessary.

~Doc
I was afraid I couldn't get that big CB through there. :eek:
Rod.

wincardona

Verified Member
I was afraid I couldn't get that big CB through there. :eek:
Rod.
Well if he can see the 4ball he'll shoot it but I doubt he can. Plus it will take all the fun out of playing this game from afar. The way I see it there are two viable options, I really don't like playing off the 1ball, too risky with little reward. Playing Rod's shot ..oops.. Bill's shot by sticking on the 6ball is my choice, easy to execute and could be a game saver but you need to play a good cue ball to defend against the return move with the 9ball. Rob's shot is an option but you're going to have to play a very good cue ball, this shot is mostly cue ball especially if you're playing a good player. Even then the reward doesn't look too good, really don't see good things happening often enough to choose it.

OOPS! Sorry Steve, your shot by playing off the 1ball and floating to the top rail is an option worth considering, i like that you're challenging your opponent with distance and your cue ball should not be that difficult to control (in terms of speed)however, the angle you will leave for the 8ball looks to me that it's laying natural to play a good cue ball by caroming off the 5ball to a safe position. If that's true then your option with coming off the 1ball is weakened because you're giving up a free shot on the 8ball for the win or even as a tactical move. In the event that the angle you leave for the 8ball is too straight to play the double carom off the 8 and 5ball you will leave him the natural carom off the 11ball to drop by your pocket with whitey, and you really don't want to end up there as well.

I think it's time for mohrt to pull the plug on this position..what do you say?:D

Dr. Bill

Last edited:

bstroud

Verified Member
I think you need balls on your side.

I am shooting the 9 ball into the side rail, then the 4 ball and sending the cue ball up table on my side.

Bill S.

petie

Verified Member
I agree if you don't play that shot or practice it... with a little helping English you can put the cue on the bottom rail... he would have nothing from there... I hit this particular shot, 15 to 20 times a day with both inside and outside, one to drag one to help... it just comes up so many times for me after my opponent, who gives me 11-7 and tortures me with almost a perfect break...every game..

this shot works for me...may not be for everyone... I had to learn how to get there to hope my next inning would be better...

B
When I first saw this shot, Alex played it on Efren at DCC when they were still at the hotel in Louisville. I played it after that every time it was possible. The first dozen or so times I played it, I laid it down real good only scratching occasionally. After failing at it several times now, I sort of avoid it.

petie

Verified Member
Why has no one suggested kicking off the head rail and lagging off the side rail to behind the 4? Take intentional. He won't like it.

LSJohn

Verified Member
Why has no one suggested kicking off the head rail and lagging off the side rail to behind the 4? Take intentional. He won't like it.
That's my shot, except I like coming off the long rail first to get a better angle at the long rail behind the 4... IOW, play a two-rail kick a little long.

mohrt

Verified Member
I've heard a lot of good choices. *my* personal favorite is lock him up against the 6 ball. Short, easy move and hopefully I can find myself in a better spot upon the return.

I find one hole to be a more subjective game than most, and I think this specific shot has many good choices, strongly influenced by my ability and my opponents ability.

kingrichardthelionheart

Verified Member

~Doc
this...........................................

Patrick Johnson

Verified Member

~Doc
KingRichard:
this...........................................
Looks pretty kissy to me...?

pj
chgo