1983 All Around

JG-in-KY

Verified Member
From
Whitley City, Kentucky
Just looking through some of my pool "stuff" and thought I would post the program here. I remember this tourney that Grady and Leonard Bludworth put on in Tampa. It was a great tourney with a lot of great players! Funny story I remember was a guy from our local room went to the tourney and was being staked by a young guy. Seeing how this kid hadn't been around much, the player convinced him that he had a shot to snap it off. He went broke the first night playing some guy named "Buddy" at Bakers. He called the kid the next day and told him he needed more money and had won his first two matches over Minnesota Fats and U.J. Puckett! Of course neither was in the tournament. The kid sent more money.

JG-in-KY

Verified Member
From
Whitley City, Kentucky
Thanks, but don't think I want to trade. Yes thats earl. Check out the picture inside the program of earl. I think he was experimenting with a new hair style. Ha Ha

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Another old program...

Another old program...

Did you know that the Derby City Classic wasn't the first major pool tournament to be hosted at the Executive Inn?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
NH Steve said:
Did you know that the Derby City Classic wasn't the first major pool tournament to be hosted at the Executive Inn?
Great program, Steve. Playing only 3 days it must have been a double elimination format, in contrast to some of the other 14.1 events which were round-robin. I assume all the usual suspects were in attendence: Martin, Mizerack, Butera, Diliberto, Rempe, etc.?

Doc

Grady

Verified Member
From
Columbia, SC
Trade?

Trade?

I think I might have some of those programs from Tampa. I'd love to trade for any programs from Ritchie's tournaments because I'd like to add them to my "History Of Pool" power point presentation.
If you'll remember we had Nine Ball, One Pocket, Straight Pool, Ladies Nine Ball and an All Around.

100andout

Verified Member
From
FL/PA
JG-in-KY said:
Thanks, but don't think I want to trade. Yes thats earl. Check out the picture inside the program of earl. I think he was experimenting with a new hair style. Ha Ha

No I didn't mean really trade, just figured I'd post one of my old programs for you to see, sinse you were nice enough to do the same:D

Gerry

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
gulfportdoc said:
Great program, Steve. Playing only 3 days it must have been a double elimination format, in contrast to some of the other 14.1 events which were round-robin. I assume all the usual suspects were in attendence: Martin, Mizerack, Butera, Diliberto, Rempe, etc.?

Doc
There is a blank double elimination chart included in the program, so I would assume that is the way they ran the event. I don;t know if I have the results in an old pool mag or not. The program does include photos of a number of players, from old dog Lassiter to 13 year old phenom Mark Beilfuss (what happened to him?).

Other players featured in the program were Mizerak, Crane, Pete Margo, Ray Martin and Steve Cook.

The mayor officially declared a special 'billiard week'.

JAM

Verified Member
JG-in-KY said:
Just looking through some of my pool "stuff" and thought I would post the program here. I remember this tourney that Grady and Leonard Bludworth put on in Tampa. It was a great tourney with a lot of great players! Funny story I remember was a guy from our local room went to the tourney and was being staked by a young guy. Seeing how this kid hadn't been around much, the player convinced him that he had a shot to snap it off. He went broke the first night playing some guy named "Buddy" at Bakers. He called the kid the next day and told him he needed more money and had won his first two matches over Minnesota Fats and U.J. Puckett! Of course neither was in the tournament. The kid sent more money.

Wow, this is the FIRST time I've been able to post on Onepocket.org, and I'm not sure if it's even going to get through, but here goes.

I found a very long article in a 1983 new periodical relating to the "World All-Around."

The men's 9-ball had a field of 42 players, and it was won by Ray Martin, $3,450. David Howard came in second place, winning $2,070. Danny Diliberto came in third, pocketing $1,449, and Bobby Hunter came in fourth place, winning $1,035.

The straight pool field consisted of a field of 18 players, with Jim Rempe coming out on top, $2,400. Ray Martin came in second place, $1,200; Willie Munson got third, $800; and Bobby Hunter came in fourth place, $600.

The one-pocket tournament event attracted a field of 16 players with Danny Diliberto winning the whole shebang, $2,250. Bill Stigall got second, $1,125; Mike Massy came in third, $750; and a one-hole playing Earl Strickland came in fourth place, $562.

The women's 9-ball had a field of 15 players with Geraldine Titcomb winning $1,400 for her fine performance. Gloria Walker pocketed $933 for second, Belinda Campose-Beardon came in third, $700, and Vickie Frechen came in fourth place, $466.

The All-Around states it was a field of eight players: 1st, Jim Rempe, $2,000; 2nd, David Howard, $1,000; 3rd and 4th place, Danny DIliberto and Bill Stigal, each receiving $500.

Some interesting tidbits in the article, various exhibitions were given by racing Lou Butera, domino artist Gene Catron, and yarn-spinning Jersey Red. A musical note was added by Lothar Bergeest, a professional singer, singing a perfect a cappella version of "The Impossible Dream." :D

There was a special honors presentation one night for Sam Blumenthal, known and respected by veterans as one of the best snooker and pool players in the world. Another award was given to Bill "Weenie Beanie" Staton, again honoring him for his character, ability, and constant contribution to the world of pool.

Anyway, thought I'd throw these data in this thread. I happened to be perusing a 1983 pool paper on my desk when I read this thread. Talk about timing! :p

JAM [Hoping my post gets posted, for once!]

Last edited:

JG-in-KY

Verified Member
From
Whitley City, Kentucky
100andout said:
No I didn't mean really trade, just figured I'd post one of my old programs for you to see, sinse you were nice enough to do the same:D

Gerry
Sorry I misunderstood, you must remember I am from Kentucky. I did graduate though. Steve, don't remember that tournament in 73. I was just a junior in high school (3rd year of 7th grade).:D

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
JAM said:
Wow, this is the FIRST time I've been able to post on Onepocket.org, and I'm not sure if it's even going to get through, but here goes.

I found a very long article in a 1983 new periodical relating to the "World All-Around."...

JAM [Hoping my post gets posted, for once!]
Thanks, Jennie, and I am very pleased you were able to post. Here's hoping that AOL problem is gone, gone, gone :)

Voodoo Daddy

Verified Member
From
Davie, FLA
JG-in-KY said:

JG has to goodies, no doubt. Boxes of pool folklore much to his wifes dismay.

MichaelAn

From
Clearwater Florida
Grady's All-Around / Tampa 83

Grady's All-Around / Tampa 83

"Wow, this is the FIRST time I've been able to post on Onepocket.org, and I'm not sure if it's even going to get through, but here goes.

I found a very long article in a 1983 new periodical relating to the "World All-Around."

The men's 9-ball had a field of 42 players, and it was won by Ray Martin, $3,450. David Howard came in second place, winning $2,070. Danny Diliberto came in third, pocketing $1,449, and Bobby Hunter came in fourth place, winning $1,035."

I refereed the 9ball tourney, including the finals between Ray and Little David. Ray had come out of the loser's bracket and had won the first race to 11 in the finals, if I remember correctly, somewhere around 11-4. David was upset that, while he wasn't making anything on the break, for the most part, Ray was making something almost every break and then getting out. David was inspecting every one of my racks with a magnifying glass, but with new balls, new Simonis cloth and a brand new spot, each rack was perfect. David was moaning so much about it that finally, Ray said, "You've got the best break on the planet... I'm not allowed to make a ball on the break once in a while???" I'll never forget that. Halfway through the 2nd set ( for the championship ), David insisted I be replaced. I was, but, same results, with Ray ending up taking it, if I remember, 11-2. Hard to believe that was 25 years ago... time flies.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
MichaelAn said:
"Wow, this is the FIRST time I've been able to post on Onepocket.org, and I'm not sure if it's even going to get through, but here goes.

The men's 9-ball had a field of 42 players, and it was won by Ray Martin, $3,450. David Howard came in second place, winning $2,070. Danny Diliberto came in third, pocketing $1,449, and Bobby Hunter came in fourth place, winning $1,035."

I refereed the 9ball tourney, including the finals between Ray and Little David. Ray had come out of the loser's bracket and had won the first race to 11 in the finals, if I remember correctly, somewhere around 11-4. David was upset that, while he wasn't making anything on the break, for the most part, Ray was making something almost every break and then getting out. David was inspecting every one of my racks with a magnifying glass, but with new balls, new Simonis cloth and a brand new spot, each rack was perfect. David was moaning so much about it that finally, Ray said, "You've got the best break on the planet... I'm not allowed to make a ball on the break once in a while???" I'll never forget that. Halfway through the 2nd set ( for the championship ), David insisted I be replaced. I was, but, same results, with Ray ending up taking it, if I remember, 11-2. Hard to believe that was 25 years ago... time flies.
Hey, good to see you succeeded with your first post, and welcome!

Did the article you found go into the One Pocket division of the tournament? Include photos? Wanna share :)

I could be confused, but this also may have been one of the first of many tournaments that Grady Mathews was involved in putting together.

MichaelAn

From
Clearwater Florida
Grady's All-Around Tampa 83

Steve,

First off, thank you for the welcome. I think there may be a small bit of confusion on my post. The part at the top, in quotes, is part of Jennie's ( JAM ) post concerning the tournament, and drawn, I believe, from an article she found. The bottom of the post, not in quotes, is mine, concerning ref'ing the finals between Ray and David. I will never forget Ray, tired of David's complaints, saying " Hey, you have the best break in the world... I'm not allowed...? " Great theatre... :)

I have to say that David Howard, a phenomenal player, was always, in the countless times I watched him play, a perfect gertleman, win or lose, even though I never saw him lose much. In this particular instance, with David the overwhelming favorite to beat Ray in the finals, he was simply a bit frustrated. I had no animostiy at all in response to his request I be replaced. I knew the racks were good and that whoever replaced me would not be able to get them any tighter or better aligned. I had a world of respect for David, and that never changed.

MichaelAn

From
Clearwater Florida

Steve,

This was, as far as I know, the first event Grady held in the Tampa area... I have no idea if it was the first for him, period... Grady would know, however... What about it Grady...? You out there?

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
MichaelAn said:
First off, thank you for the welcome. I think there may be a small bit of confusion on my post. The part at the top, in quotes, is part of Jennie's ( JAM ) post concerning the tournament, and drawn, I believe, from an article she found. The bottom of the post, not in quotes, is mine, concerning ref'ing the finals between Ray and David.
Good to have you posting here, Michael. If you ever want to include someone else's post in yours, just click on the "Quote" button on the bottom right hand corner of the post you want to quote from. When the post comes up, if you wish, you can highlight and delete any part of the post you don't want to quote. Then just simply type your own message after the second bracketed "/quote".

Doc

MichaelAn

From
Clearwater Florida
thank you

thank you

gulfportdoc said:
Good to have you posting here, Michael. If you ever want to include someone else's post in yours, just click on the "Quote" button on the bottom right hand corner of the post you want to quote from. When the post comes up, if you wish, you can highlight and delete any part of the post you don't want to quote. Then just simply type your own message after the second bracketed "/quote".

Doc

Doc,

Aha! Thank you and I promise to get used to it.

philwelch

Verified Member
From
Plainfield,IL
MichaelAn said:

It sure is nice to hear these great stories and firsthand accounts too! What a nice history lesson. Welcome Michael and keep sharing those interesting stories. Phil Welch