Search results

1. J

Bill Goner

hey all, Its been a while, but I'm still lurking around here. I had an interesting conversation last night with a man named Bill Goner (not sure of the spelling). We got to talking about pool and during the cab ride home I mentioned (and he knew, often personally) about every player in this...
  2. J

lesson learned from one pocket

I was playing some 8 ball in a league match last night when I left myself with typical (horrible) position, something like this: START( %Ac6F3%Bl6T3%Ck4S6%DO0H3%E^2Y6%FD5J5%GR4O8%Hd1N3%IQ9I4%JG6Y5 %KD5Q3%LT4P4%M_7Y2%Nq5O8%OU4M9%Po1W8 )END I really didn't have much, so I thought for a sec and...
  3. J

your best stories

To all of the veterans out there how about laying down some of your best stories from playing over the years...I've read many throughout various books, forums, and conversations, and have always enjoyed them. Eddie Robin had a great set of stories in the back of "Shots, Moves, and Strategies"...
  4. J

Deadstroke / Zone

An interesting discussion developed on azbilliards about being in the zone, how long you can stay in it, how can you get into it, etc. I know for me, if I come in having had a great day, good spirits, couple beers, warm up and start shooting, I can sometimes just drop into that dead stroke and...
  5. J

double/triple rail banks

Last night this situation came up a few times for my opponent (shooting top left): START( %AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%IL7O4%JK6M5 %KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MP1Y5%NO8V4%OJ5M0%PV2W6 )END Sometimes only the 14 would be there, sometimes just the 13...he tried 2 railing each time, but never...
  6. J

Playing The Game additions

Seems to me that the primer there is a great start for concepts, ideas, and general strategy. With all the knowledge that we've got collecting here, why not add to it? I would think that more in depth discussions on various areas of the game would be easy enough to write, and very helpful for...
  7. J

general strategy

When I first began learning this great game, the older guys I'd play with told me to try to leave the cueball in the 1x1 square near the opponents pocket....I've learned a lot since and now don't follow such a simple minded strategy...Recently I've started to leave them tied to the stack or move...
  8. J

double banks

I was playing a friend the other night who's a fairly skilled one pocket player...should have beaten Ralph Souqet recently, and only lost 5 games to bustamante (even with 13-5, bustamante was running 12/13 and out)...so I trust his opinion somewhat... That being said, some of the shots he's told...
  9. J

breaks: kick bank and frozen head ball

I was talking with a friend recently about breaks, and even though he understands the standard break, he's been trying the one rail kick and freeze in the stack style break...basically, he's not confident with the standard break yet, so in the meantime, he's seen that this break isn't too bad...
  10. J

Rule of thumb for one rail cross banks

First, I have to say i'm glad people are here, and so quickly too...a big hello those I recognize from azbilliards... So, onto my question: Several good players I know have told me this--if I have an object ball on the oppoents side of the table, and my cue ball can't go straight into his...