Search results

1. darmoose

Coronavirus and old geezers (like me and you)......

I am deliberately putting this here in the OP forum because I want the most folks to see it. Steve, if you wanna move it to the Members Cafe later be my guest. Maybe I don't need to say this, I hope everyone here is on the ball and aware of what is going on so they can protect themselves and...
  2. darmoose

Rule question....

So, I know this has been discussed before, but I can't find anything on it (my bad), and I want to attempt to clearly describe to a beginner how to determine whether a foul has been committed or not. Your opponent's CB is between 1/8" and 1/4" away from the OB, and he wants to shoot the OB to...
  3. darmoose

New rule of rules.

For reasons explained in the other thread about wedging a CB against the rail by "trapping the CB, I think this solution needs it's own thread. Not going to go through the explanation again, but just quote the rule. Hope you will make reasonable and logical comments and criticisms. After ANY...
  4. darmoose

Summer Duldrums

,,,and getting bored with playing the same guys repeatedly at my local room.:( I'm in the mood for a little road trip to break up the monotany(sic) a bit. Any members within a 100 mile radius of Baltimore (so that would include the DC area and the Philly area, as well as Baltimore itself) that...
  5. darmoose

Rules question

Player A and player are playing OP for $50 a game,. Game score is even after several games. They are playing "rack your own" and if you make a ball you rerack. Player A breaks and makes a ball, but scratches at the same time. Scenario 1. Player A reracks and breaks again. Score is 0-0...
  6. darmoose

Does something need to be done?

Congratulations to Pilot on his victory, and to Jerry on his amazing stamina as a 70 year old playing all day and night. The California Billiards room (what little of it we got to see) was very impressive. Watching the "action" games going on was entertaining. All that being said, and having...
  7. darmoose

Beasty in da Easty

Just realized it is almost April. The First Annual Beast of the East was held at the end of last April organized by my friend "young Mitchie" in the city of brotherly love. It was a great format and a bunch of great op.org members had a great time sparring and indulging in a little gambling...
  8. darmoose

Beast In The East/ First Annual

Way back in the day, the day being 04/29/2017, some great one pocket players and upstanding members of one pocket.org gathered in the city of "brotherly love" for the first annual Beast In The East tournament. The tournament was the brainchild of of Mitch Brown and included such one pocket.org...
  9. darmoose

W.O.P & S, M, & S. Books

Winning One Pocket and Shots, Moves, and Strategies. Any one interested in these books (as a set) PM me an offer. Both in like new condition. Can bring to Chicago tournament if need be.
  10. darmoose

Let's fix this once and for all

Cue ball and object ball are separated by 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Shooter jacks straight up and down (vertical cue) attempting to draw the CB. Hits the shot and the CB goes through the point of contact about anywhere from 6 to 12 inches. I have always contended this is automatically a foul, as it is...
  11. darmoose

Risk/Reward

Here's are some interesting questions. Everyone makes a risk/reward assessment when deciding to shoot or not shoot. Player A steps up and shoots, player B opts to duck under the same circumstances. Why the difference? The options as I see them: 1. The players have different shooting skill...
  12. darmoose

Why One Pocket

So, I wonder what is it about one pocket that draws pool players. It seems listening to members here, that one pocket is considered to be the most demanding of pool games, and inherently requires the longest learning curve as well as the highest level of experience to play well. Most (it seems)...
  13. darmoose

No commercials...

On you tube.........frost/occullo
  14. darmoose

Here's an interesting question

There are players who consider themselves more aggressive, more offensive than the average. There are players that consider themselves more defensive, less aggressive than the average. We even have names for styles like "Chicago" style (I guess to most that means a squeezer, a grinder, etc.) I'm...
  15. darmoose

Targeting

I was reading a thread on AZB wherein they were saying that sometimes when playing eightball, they would shoot the striped balls because they would on occasion provide a "target" by way of the stripe and patterns on the ball. Do you pay any attention to the ball or the orientation of the ball...
  16. darmoose

Legal or not 2.0

The shot that comes up quite often and bugs the hell out of me is this. The CB is 1/8" to 1/4" from the object ball, the shooter jacks up so that his stick is almost vertical and hits straight down on the back of the CB. How do I judge if he made a "good" hit on the CB? Here's how I judge it. I...
  17. darmoose

Cue weights?

While I know that the weight of your cue is a personal preference, still is there an optimum cue weight for playability. Do heavier cues have a different impact on the cueball vs a lighter cue? Will the same stroke applied with a heavier cue have the same effect on the cueball as with lighter...
  18. darmoose

Manzino Cues

places to play
  19. darmoose

Streaming info

So, I've seen nothing on the stream for Seniors Tournament starting tonight with the Calcutta. Also there's a mini tournament today starting at noon I hear. Whats going on with Truck, is he on site, when does he plan to start streaming? I see no page yet to sign up for the stream anywhere...
  20. darmoose

Push Out Nine Ball

Keith, Rod, DR. Bill, Jeff and others, I really enjoy all the stories of pool and road trips and gambling in the sixties and seventies. I was growing up outside of Chicago and playing at the Stardust Bowl in Hammond, Indiana in the sixties and going to Purdue. I was a decent local player, but...