OK, anyone seen this one!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7rXuonDd9kYyv2iR9
I think this is a shot for the young guys coming up! Old dogs aren't much for learning new tricks! I know once I learn something I forget it anyway.
I was thinking in learning one pocket, and not once did anyone show me anything, let alone a shot like this!
I just have to wonder just how many young guys are learning the game through these threads. It must be nice!
But, on this shot you stroke with an elevated cue straight though the center, if you are above center it will jump off the table.

I think Justin Hall could get into this shot! Enjoy! Whitey

Last edited:

evergruven

Verified Member
https://photos.app.goo.gl/7rXuonDd9kYyv2iR9
I think this is a shot for the young guys coming up! Old dogs aren't much for learning new tricks! I know once I learn something I forget it anyway.
I was thinking in learning one pocket, and not once did anyone show me anything, let alone a shot like this!
I just have to wonder just how many young guys are learning the game through these threads. It must be nice!
But, on this shot you stroke with an elevated cue straight though the center, if you are above center it will jump off the table.

I think Justin Hall could get into this shot! Enjoy! Whitey

hi whitey
I'm one of those trying to soak up this place every time I visit
there's so much great stuff here!!
thanks for sharing a(nother) killer shot..you da man

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
I had seen it before, the shooter was up close to the side of the stack and jumped the ball into the middle of it , and balls spread out and he had a shot, not sure if he was trying that , or trying to jump clear over them and come back in from the rail, It's another amazing shot, not for the faint of heart lol. Once again you shot it perfectly. If my memory is correct, his object ball was closer to the rail , I like the shot morefrom where you have it positioned but how does proximity to the rail affect the cueball jump?
My instinct says it would want to go off the table easier , the closer to the rail the object ball is ? Is that true?

beatle

Verified Member
have always played no jump shots allowed in one pocket.. you owe one and spot the ball.

maybe rules have changed.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
have always played no jump shots allowed in one pocket.. you owe one and spot the ball.

No, jumping is allowed, but it has to be 100% with your playing cue. So this one definitely OK by the rules. Great shot Dennis!!!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks guys, it is all about 'fun stuff'. Steve's site and the wwyd's is such a learning vehicle. If it was not for this, none of this would transpire.

Billy Jackets,
yes it needs to be a thin cut, otherwise the angle will widen out and the cb will miss the stack and go up table. So a thin cut would generally mean the ob is closer to the rail. It is like the ob is not even there and you are just jumping into the stack off the rail. With the ob close to the pocket it allows you to be able to hit it a little thicker or thinner, and this in turn allows you to control the direction of the cb coming off the rail.

One thing nice about this shot is that you can hop it before the stack and then it contacts the first ball and continues to hop into the stack.
In working this shot I realized that it is not unlike doing a masse' for it has to be hit precisely to get the desired reaction. Whitey

Last edited:

Bob Jewett

Verified Member
From
Berkeley, CA

Even at snooker where there has been no jumping since forever, it's OK for the cue ball to go over a ball after contact with an object ball.

beatle

Verified Member
so to be straight, for bob you can jump over a ball if you hit it while jumping over it other wise you cant.

and for the rest, you can jump if you use your playing cue only. so if i am behind the stack i can jump over it and bank one of your balls if i am good enough to jump with my cue that i am playing with.

thats why we always played if you jump your cue ball it is a foul. like if you were knocking a ball in his hole and cue ball off the table.

and according to steve if he meant it this way as okay. you can hit into a rail and jump the cue ball back over balls .
how come no one uses this shot in one pocket if it is legal.

sheldon

Verified Member
From
Springfield Oregon
so to be straight, for bob you can jump over a ball if you hit it while jumping over it other wise you cant.

and for the rest, you can jump if you use your playing cue only. so if i am behind the stack i can jump over it and bank one of your balls if i am good enough to jump with my cue that i am playing with.

thats why we always played if you jump your cue ball it is a foul. like if you were knocking a ball in his hole and cue ball off the table.

and according to steve if he meant it this way as okay. you can hit into a rail and jump the cue ball back over balls .
how come no one uses this shot in one pocket if it is legal.
There's no rule against the ball being in the air. If there was, any time you jacked up a little and hit hard, you would be committing a foul.

beatle

Verified Member
i can understand all that but im talking about making the cue ball jump over another ball.
if thats okay then fine then all jump shots are okay in one pocket. then how do you hide someone anymore if they can jump over the ball or balls.
you cant use a jump cue as said. but can you change your shaft during the game for a shot. jumping will become a big part of the game if it is allowed and since it is ,, my wonderment is how come it isnt used often as its so easy to do.
look at 9 ball the game has changed where you cant hide someone easily anymore.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Beatle,

I understand your position especially when you have your opponent in a trap and they have the possibility of jumping their way out of it if they have the skill, but it's legal...if they use their playing cue.

I believe jump shots have been legal in one pocket as long as I can remember, but no jump cues allowed (playing cue only). However, this shot Whitey showed us is not considered a jump shot as the cue ball did not jump over a ball(s) to get to the object ball, it was hit directly. What happens after the shot is made is kosher.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I've elevated before, banking/jumping (cross corner cue ball jump/up and over bank kick off the rail nose) off the long rail, pocketing a ball in the other foot corner pocket before.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
I've elevated before, banking/jumping (cross corner cue ball jump/up and over bank kick off the rail nose) off the long rail, pocketing a ball in the other foot corner pocket before.
Bill are you able to video this shot or at least try to explain the set up of the balls and how to hit it?
whitey if you now this shot could you post a video

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Pretend there's balls blocking your ability to bank cross corner to make a wired combo.
Your cue ball should be.... maybe a foot + away from the long rail. Elevate to strike the cue ball, it will hop, hitting the rail nose then hop over the obstructing balls kicking the shot in.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
i can understand all that but im talking about making the cue ball jump over another ball.
if thats okay then fine then all jump shots are okay in one pocket. then how do you hide someone anymore if they can jump over the ball or balls.
you cant use a jump cue as said. but can you change your shaft during the game for a shot. jumping will become a big part of the game if it is allowed and since it is ,, my wonderment is how come it isnt used often as its so easy to do.
look at 9 ball the game has changed where you cant hide someone easily anymore.
Thanks Beatle, you make some valid points and I want to address this very important point; "but can you change your shaft during a game for a shot". The answer under our OP.org rules is resounding "Yes". The one and only rule pertaining to cues only applies to 'no jump cues' allowed. That is it, it can not be stretched to include anything else.

I am so old school, for I was done in '73 and at that time you had a single simple cue case with one cue in it, period. There was no thought of changing to another cue for a particular shot, as we have all seen Efren change back and forth for certain shots.

I have sticks that I can draw better with, I have less deflection sticks that would break better with, and yes I have shafts that would fit my playing stick for jump and masse' shots.

In the rule committee, I might have tried to get the rule strengthened or not, I can not remember. If I did, it did not go anywhere! I'll review it! I know I have personally wrote up a much stronger rule, for your concern is also a concern of mine!

A Rule I would like to see happen! All shots must be played with your playing cue that you start the game with, next game if you want to change cues, fine. Exception: A cue failure. thanks, Whitey
Bill are you able to video this shot or at least try to explain the set up of the balls and how to hit it?
whitey if you now this shot could you post a video
Larry, in wwyd's I have done some jumps shots. One out of a corner pocket jaw, one on mr3c curve wwyd, and another one where I jumped over a third of the ball and made a ball straight in the hole, I then set it up for a full jump and cleared the ball. I probably can find them and post them. Whitey

Last edited:

Jimmy B

Verified Member
Here's an old trick shot that would be legal in one pocket if you're trapped in your own pocket. Efren used to do this one a lot, whenever he was asked or paid to do some trick shots. Rafael knows all of them, too..