Best memory

Ross Keith Thompson

Verified Member
From
madisonville, texas
It was al around time at Johnston city and I was late. No kidding people, I didn’t get a wake up call from the motel desk and Paulie Jansco had to hunt me down and rang my room.

Said to me you’ve got minutes to get here or it’s a forfeit!

Threw water in my face, had no clothes except what I was wearing, a sleeveless shirt and bell bottom jeans. Airline had lost my luggage. Hell of a way to start my day, bahahaha

When I walked into the tourney pit there was a big crowd and Lassiter was leaning on our table cue in hand ready to play.

He could have pushed for a forfeit but that wasn’t his way!

I ran around the place a few minutes and found a good straight house cue off the rack and hurried to the table where Lassiter was waiting for me.

It was time to man up for an 18 yr old battle hardened hustler of pool rooms and bars.

Would I go down 11-0 like the young player a little over a week before that never got to shoot at a ball or fire my cannon like I belonged?

I won the flip for choice of games and chose nine ball without thinking, also won the lag for first break!

My adrenaline was starting to kick in realizing the magnitude of the match in front of me with a pure legend of gigantic proportions.

I lined my cue ball up at center table and crashed into the nine ball rack, my cue ball bouncing a ft high in the air coming half way back to me before the spin of my English caught hold like a Tiger Woods golf shot with reverse spin on it settling near center table just like I planned it Bahahaha

When the rack settled and a ball was made, I looked around the table and thought I have to do this! I got out.

The 2nd rack I crashed into the balls, cue ball jumping again from the mighty collision just like Incardona orTall Jeff. I got out again!
Referee sounded off again “Game Thompson in a bold way“ like he was happy for me! COOL

My confidence grew as I put four racks on a Legend!

5th game didn’t make a ball. Lassiter would make me sit for the next three and didn’t make a ball the fourth rack. I was so releaved you can’t imagine!

I knew without doubt I had to do something special right now, I had no choice.

So I did, put 5 more racks together but didn’t make a ball on the 6th rack and headed to the neutral corner. I led 9-3 when he started shooting, it was 9-8 when he didn’t make a ball on the break the 6th rack.

I was the loneliest kid on earth as he ran those five racks, but it was my time now to perform and I had a decent set up on the rack, I got out. Referee sounded off “GameThompson “

My composer was stabilizing, I had become a true professional in one match against the mightiest of the mighty and I knew I belonged!

I crashed into the nine ball rack one more time, cueball bouncing one more time settling near center table, I got out one last time against a better man.

It was the greatest match I would ever play against the player and man I admired most. Referee sounded off one last time “Match Thompson “ against a thunderous ovation!
Life was good that day, like it was yesterday.

it was a chess match and I had made the first move. I fired my biggest gun and sunk a battleship. Life was tough in the pit in Johnston City 1970!

ChicagoFats

Verified Member
Awesome recollection. I was at bca nationals one year and didn't realize you needed a collared shirt. I was told I had to forfeit without changing.... similar but not as exciting.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
"
"I ran around the place a few minutes and found a good straight house cue off the rack and hurried to the table where Lassiter was waiting for me.
It was time to man up for an 18 yr old battle hardened hustler of pool rooms and bars."
keith great story
its surprising to me you didnt have your own cue and even more amazing that you won WITH A HOUSE CUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Keith,
You played a perfect 1000, no misses and got out every time it was there, and you did it just at the right time for Lassiter was also perfect, no misses and he got out every time also.
I recall your match with Erving Crane, and it came down the same way.

What these younger viewers might not realize, for putting racks of 9 ball together now days is almost a norm, but it was not so in '70, it definitely was out of the norm.
Back in '70 the break the players used was from close to the head spot to drive the 9 ball into one of the foot corner pockets. There was no guarantee of making a ball like it is now. You had to have one hell of a consistent break that would up your chances of making a ball if you were ever to put some racks together.
So for you to put two matches together with your opponents of Lassiter and Crane also putting it together, well it is rare in deed. No wonder this match got a thunderous ovation! Well done!

I hope I have put it into some kind of perspective of just how great these matches were. But this might make it more clear. I played at the Bellflower Palace for a couple of years, and believe me no one played there if they did not know how to play, and 9 ball was the game. Well I of course sweated 100's of games of 9 ball, and I never seen over 2 racks ran by anybody.

I happened to run a 6 pack in a ring game and it was open ended for the others quit, so that got me really thinking, just where did I stand among these players, for I was a newbie in my 3rd yr. of play. But it is very rare because of the break.

Again, well done, Keith!
thanks, Whitey

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I kinda remember that moment in time, and of course Wimpy sitting in his chair in the pit, suit on and pretending to sleep, didn't your match happen on the rear/pit table?

What caught my attention at that time, was Wimpy had a short red ferrule on his cue shaft.
I heard this, the reflection of the bank of 8 flood light above the canopied pit tables, caused too much reflection on ivory ferrules.
I also heard, the bank players loved it, they were able to pick out one of the 8 reflective bulb reflections on the clean obj. balls to help them with their target/shot line.

Last edited:

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I froze myself to the 3 ball at this tournament, center of the table... no two shot shoot out in 1970, so I came off the 3 and tried to hide Rempe behind the 6 ball.... I hit it an inch to far... leading then 9/2... I lost to Rempe 11/9.... came 3rd. ☹️

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
There could not of been more of a contrast in this marque match between two players generations apart, but one thing in common they were both deadly. I can just see Wimpy with impeccable dress and short stroke vs. Keith lost suitcase dressed in what was on his back and that forever long beautiful 9-ball stroke, and showing up late and then picking out a house cue! LOL! Combine this with a match played at the highest of standards possible, and you have one the most improbable legendary matches that a video of would be priceless. For us that were not present, we can only imagine!
Thanks Squirrel for sharing your memories and bringing us into that historical moment! And what a historically high caliper match! You are a giant in my book! Whitey

Last edited: