One Pocket HOF voting discussion -- post comments here, not in the voting thread

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Please keep your comments about HOF candidates and voting here in this thread, not the voting thread itself. Any comments in the voting thread will be moved here.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
one of my votes I casted for Busty...since I think he will be inducted for both banks and one hole some day, which should come first or does it matter? Just curious of other people's thoughts on this, he is a monster at both!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Joey spaeth
i know of his banking prowess
was his one pocket almost as strong?
Hey Larry, i think you are talking about Joey's son Gary Spaeth who is already in the Banks HOF.

Joey, his father was a one pocket player. I suppose he could bank well enough but he was known for one hole as far as I have known / heard!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Hey Larry, i think you are talking about Joey's son Gary Spaeth who is already in the Banks HOF.

Joey, his father was a one pocket player. I suppose he could bank well enough but he was known for one hole as far as I have known / heard!
You are right cincy
i got them confused
thanks

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
joey was a top banker for sure. his son never played as well as he did. he didnt play for giant money more like 500 dollar sets. so his fame didnt propel itself. he was probably the toughest player that ever lived. one pocket he was a killer to those just under pro speed. as he never gave up and played all out on every shot for very long sessions.
Thanks for the reply beatle! I never saw Joey play but saw Gary play a lot and I always heard that Gary banked much better than Joey ever did. I have a lot of respect for all the HOF bankers we have but it's hard to believe anyone in the world would have ever banked as good as Gary did if you could see it with your own eyes...

Now, as far as one pocket, Gary could definitely play some top speed one hole, but I heard Joey his father played it better than Gary ever did.

Not saying you are wrong, just what I was always told....

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
i cant really judge who was at better at banking. i was talking in general about playing speed. and not many people played banks back then it was a regional thing.
Oops, I misunderstood then and yes I have heard the same (Joey was an all around better player than Gary), but for sure in one pocket I wish I could have seen him play!

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
joey was a top banker for sure. his son never played as well as he did. he didnt play for giant money more like 500 dollar sets. so his fame didnt propel itself. he was probably the toughest player that ever lived. one pocket he was a killer to those just under pro speed. as he never gave up and played all out on every shot for very long sessions.
Thanks beatle

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Francisco and Alex are clearly the most deserving players to be inducted into the OnePocket Hall Of Fame and to make a choice who is more deserving are too close to call for me. I also believe that if the voting process is to choose a player from a field of living and deceased players the great players from the past who are deceased will have very little chance of being inducted. What happened to the player from the deceased category being inducted along with a player from the living category?

Last edited:

kkdanamatt

Verified Member
From
Livingston, NJ
I agree with Billy Incardona, so I voted for Bustamante and Pagulayan, both of whom have won major 1-Pocket titles and are universally recognized as world class 1-Pocket players.
I saw Patch-Eye, Johnny Irish, and Joey Spaeth when they were past their primes, so I can't evaluate them properly.
Johnny Ervolino was certainly a feared money player in the 1960's, but his 1-Pocket game was overshadowed by Jersey Red and Ronnie Allen.
I never saw Marcel Camp so I can't comment on his 1-Pocket dominance.
Is there anyone still around who can comment on Camp?
Rafael and Corey will have to wait in line behind Francisco and Alex.

No question, there needs to be a "deceased" category for consideration in the 1-Pocket Hall of Fame voting.

JAM

Verified Member
I voted for Alex and Bustie, as they're both strong one-pocket players.

What concerns me a little is that younger forum members may have no idea of the strength of the older players or those who have passed away.

Everybody loves Alex and Bustamante, as do I, because we've seen them up close and watched their greatness, but for many who haven't seen the older players or the deceased players, they can only read about it. And let's be frank. There truly is not much of a pool archival history available, other than old pool news magazines or newsletters.

I don't know if there is a "fix" to remedy the Hall of Fame voting process to make it a level playing field for great one-pocket champions, dead, alive, old, and young. But it is something worth discussing, I think, for future voting in the coming years.

I can tell you this, though. For older players, especially those who are not in consideration for the BCA industry members' dancing monkeys, this One Pocket.org Hall of Fame honor is worth more than gold and very meaningful. Unfortunately, there are many unsung heroes in our pool world that may never get the recognition they are due.
Hall-of-fame-logo.jpg

Greyghost

Verified Member
From
Lafayette, LA
I voted for Alex and Bustie, as they're both strong one-pocket players.

What concerns me a little is that younger forum members may have no idea of the strength of the older players or those who have passed away.

Everybody loves Alex and Bustamante, as do I, because we've seen them up close and watched their greatness, but for many who haven't seen the older players or the deceased players, they can only read about it. And let's be frank. There truly is not much of a pool archival history available, other than old pool news magazines or newsletters.

I don't know if there is a "fix" to remedy the Hall of Fame voting process to make it a level playing field for great one-pocket champions, dead, alive, old, and young. But it is something worth discussing, I think, for future voting in the coming years.

I can tell you this, though. For older players, especially those who are not in consideration for the BCA industry members' dancing monkeys, this One Pocket.org Hall of Fame honor is worth more than gold and very meaningful. Unfortunately, there are many unsung heroes in our pool world that may never get the recognition they are due.
View attachment 430077
You bring up a good point Jennie. I got one would vote to have a separate voting for deceased players. Our older member and ones with a lot of knowledge of the past ain’t getting any younger, and the younger players...are getting younger every day ;)

Top job

I voted for Patcheye, Johnny E., Raphi and Joey. They need to be recognized soon or they will be forgotten. The others will surely get in in due time.

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Francisco and Alex are clearly the most deserving players to be inducted into the OnePocket Hall Of Fame and to make a choice who is more deserving are too close to call for me. I also believe that if the voting process is to choose a player from a field of living and deceased players the great players from the past who are deceased will have very little chance of being inducted. What happened to the player from the deceased category being inducted along with a player from the living category?
We still have that, but still, a deceased player needs to get to a significant threshold of votes (somewhere close to 30% of the vote is the lowest we have ever gone) even for the deceased players. My feeling is that if a player is not getting to that level then there just isn't enough to go by to induct them. Not every very good or maybe even great player gets into HOF -- it is supposed to be the elite great players, along with those who have contributed to One Pocket in other highly significant ways. You look at players like Beenie, even if he wasn't the greatest player of his time, he was a major contributor to One Pocket via his poolroom, his tournaments and action. Then on the other hand you have truly great players like Sigel and Rempe, who both won One Pocket events, but they never showed any sustained interest in the game of One Pocket -- that's why they are not even on the ballot. Whereas Buddy Hall has very much embraced One Pocket in his later years, both as a player and commentator, which is why he is in.

Scrzbill

Verified Member
From
Eagles Rest, Wa
We still have that, but still, a deceased player needs to get to a significant threshold of votes (somewhere close to 30% of the vote is the lowest we have ever gone) even for the deceased players. My feeling is that if a player is not getting to that level then there just isn't enough to go by to induct them. Not every very good or maybe even great player gets into HOF -- it is supposed to be the elite great players, along with those who have contributed to One Pocket in other highly significant ways. You look at players like Beenie, even if he wasn't the greatest player of his time, he was a major contributor to One Pocket via his poolroom, his tournaments and action. Then on the other hand you have truly great players like Sigel and Rempe, who both won One Pocket events, but they never showed any sustained interest in the game of One Pocket -- that's why they are not even on the ballot. Whereas Buddy Hall has very much embraced One Pocket in his later years, both as a player and commentator, which is why he is in.
I really don’t understand how a deceased player, someone that played in the 40’s-50’s can get any attention without knowing how he or they played. Older players who are known should be inducted by fiat. No one ever discusses this.
I voted for Patch because he played at Parkmoor when I was learning and he was a one pocket god, then. All the top pros came there at one time or another to play him, Bob Bolles, Nashville Eddy, and other locals. Truman, Eddie, a long list of top hustlers were there.

Jimmy B

Verified Member
I really don’t understand how a deceased player, someone that played in the 40’s-50’s can get any attention without knowing how he or they played. Older players who are known should be inducted by fiat. No one ever discusses this.
I voted for Patch because he played at Parkmoor when I was learning and he was a one pocket god, then. All the top pros came there at one time or another to play him, Bob Bolles, Nashville Eddy, and other locals. Truman, Eddie, a long list of top hustlers were there.

What if Artie had played back in the 40's or earlier, for just a few short years, and then quit to pursue other things, which he certainly did? Or what if Superduck McMorran played back then and quit and didn't pick up a cue the whole time he carried out a career at UPS? Do you think there would have been one chance in hell they would have been voted in..?? Piss no... That's just the way the mop flops...I tried to bring to light how great Johnny Irish was and he ended up getting 15 pissy ass votes, including mine, so fkkit ..