Recent content by sunnyone

1. sunnyone

Hide & Seek

Two one-pocket matches continue to wow me. 1) Efren v. Shannon in Galveston. 2) T-Rex v. Robo in Fremont. I had to rewind several of Efren’s shots to figure out how in the world he escaped from some of the horrendous traps Shannon put him in. I decided Efren looked for the one place on the...
  2. sunnyone

Spectator’s Guide to Derby Decorum

Congrats to those of you who scored ringside seats around the TV table. And, since you’re often shown on screen, let’s Ms. Manners your behavior. > Food. Don’t, just don’t. Unless you’re a runway model nibbling a celery stick … > Drink. Fancy a beer? Fine, I might too. But, please, one at a...
  3. sunnyone

“The Ballad of One-Pocket” (A Lament.)

With apologies to all the World War II Brits who mocked the Nazi hierarchy with a parodic song. Their little ditty was often sung to the tune of the “Colonel Bogey March”: Hitler has only got one ball Göring has two but very small Himmler is rather similar But poor old Goebbels has no balls...
  4. sunnyone

Sense and Sensibility — Derby 10-Ball on the Big Table.

Dear Gentle Readers, Waiting for one-pocket, I poked my head in a few times to watch the Bigfoot competition. As usual the analysts’ observations were entertaining. > You can learn a lot about your chair playing this guy. > Don’t go past a position to get to another position. > I never...
  5. sunnyone

Wry Observation.

Dear Gentle Readers, “They’re not shooting the shots they’re supposed to. To make the commentators look good.” Tableau: Mr. Henderson, in the booth with Mr. Barber, at the estimable POV one-pocket rodeo at California Billiards. John Schmidt and Amar Kang were shooting some creative, and wildly...
  6. sunnyone

Is Kick Safe a thing now?

Dear Gentle Readers, I hadn't seen this played before. Some one-pocket shots. https://www.facebook.com/ZeroXBilliards/videos/1930215893663230/ Sunny
  7. sunnyone

Remembrance of Things Beloit. Oh, and POV too.

Dear Gentle Readers, Two recent one-pocket matches. Both involving Dennis Orcollo and both riveting in different ways. DO hammered the Freezer and later Tony Chohan schooled Dennis on the first day of their four-day fais do-do. Tony hung on to win. What struck me, though, wasn’t the...
  8. sunnyone

“Impossible Is Nothing.” - - Muhammad Ali

Dear Gentle Readers, I was leafing through the latest RH catalog and a quotation in the CEO’s note to his readers made me think of you pool players. The scamps, scoundrels, rouges - - you know who you are - - knights-errant and ladies-errant. The quote: “Impossible is just big word thrown...
  9. sunnyone

Creativity Unbound?

Dear Gentle Readers, A pal sent me some Corey Deuel one-pocket links. Wow. He was experimenting with outré breaks. Redefining combo / bank / carom shots. Other players have stronger games, but does anyone else have his imagination? The first one-pocket stream I watched on YouTube was Efren...
  10. sunnyone

The Shot I Keep Not Seeing

Dear Gentle Readers, Had some nefarious medico administered truth serum to me, the header would have read: One of a Multitude of Shots I Never See. But it’s this one I saw yesterday on Lenny’s excellent Arizona One-Pocket State Championship stream. Actually I saw the shot executed in two...
  11. sunnyone

New Hope for Pool? Hmm … Perhaps.

Dear Gentle Readers, I recently read (this was on the Internet so it must be true, no?) that 13% of Americans have ‘cut the cord.’ That is, they cancelled cable and satellite TV in favor, mostly, of streaming. More interesting, much more interesting, is that an additional 11% have never...
  12. sunnyone

Only Trouble Is, Gee Whiz …

Dear Gentle Readers, It’s not for nothing that Efren and Alex are - - arguably - - the most popular players in America. Talent? Of course. But more than that, demeanor. Those boys look like they’re having fun. Having a grand ole time. Doing what they love and making some bank doing it...
  13. sunnyone

Those One-Pocket Daddy-Os Can Bring It!

Dear Gentle Readers, For those of you who missed the Senior Soirée in Houston, Mr. Henderson emerged victorious in a finals race to three games. He was ahead two games to, I believe, none. In the penultimate shot of what proved to be the last game, Mr. H. played a safety, forgetting that he had...
  14. sunnyone

Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here …

Dear Gentle Readers, I never went to Johnston City, but the Senior Soirée in Houston is shaping up to be another nest of vipers. Of course some will sidle into town early to get a feel for the place (plot escape routes). To check out the equipment (look for an edge). To meet and greet (spot...
  15. sunnyone

Vive La Différence!

Dear Gentle Readers, The other day - - on Lenny’s exceptional stream - - I caught some of the finals of the Chinook Winds 10-ball finals. Watching Allison v. Rebecca bought into sharp contrast the realities of men versus women. Three points: > Slow, slow, slow. While entertaining (Rebecca...