Recent content by Stanton Fountain

1. S

Happy Birthday Gulfport Doc

Just stumbled in -- Happy Birthday, Doc! Many happy returns.
  2. S

Old Pool Hall in Arkansas?

In the early '70s, West Texas and southern New Mexico seemed to have more snooker tables than anywhere else I visited, but I was just "passing through", so the details will have to come from someone else.
  3. S

Hey, Doc. I played snooker occasionally and Golf every chance I got. I found similar rooms in rural areas across the South, and they all seemed to have at least one snooker table. Only things I did not see in the movie were the boxes of sawdust for the tobacco chewers, but I am sure they are...
  4. S

I posted this on AZB and thought ya'll might enjoy this also. The name of the room is Burks Cue Parlor (on window) and Pete's Pool Parlor (on facade). Anyone recognize the room or the local players?
  5. S

REWARD + GoFundMe Acct. to catch Mike Surber's murderer

Hey Doc. Hope you are doing well. The detective really has his sights set on getting this guy. He gave me new hope. Sure would be nice to see this trash in Parchman.
  6. S

REWARD + GoFundMe Acct. to catch Mike Surber's murderer

I just talked to the OSPD detective assigned to Mike's case. He is determined to catch Mike's killer and believes he will. The investigation is active. He is playing his cards very close to his vest, but that is exactly what we (and Mike) would expect of a good cop. To put it in terms y'all can...
  7. S

It Happened Last Night. A rule's question. Shooting out of turn.

How about, if I leave the table while it is my shot, I lay my cue across the table as a sign of possession?
  8. S

Shooting into wrong pocket, the opponent gets one ball because it would be sharking to interrupt. Shooting out of turn -- you should end it immediately. See above explanation.
  9. S

Many times, when a player ultimately shoots a ball into an opponents pocket, we cannot be certain of his intent until the ball is pocketed. (He could be banking.) To interrupt prior to certainty of the opponent's intent would be a breach of etiquette. A player stepping to a table and bridging...
  10. S

1P Rule 11.2 addressing shooting balls in the opponent's pocket and a responsibility to notify is not directly on point, but its intent and philosophy should apply here: " . . . In the event that a player shooting into the wrong pocket is permitted to continue the same inning at the table...
  11. S

Sorry, could not help myself -- here is another view. It occurs to me that JD committed three seperate fouls -- one foul for each illegally pocketed ball. Three fouls you are out? Right? The question is whether or not there is a limit on the number of fouls per inning. Ordinarily the first...
  12. S

Willie Hoppe Cue and "Expert Leather Cue Case"

The butt and ring of your older WHPro appear to be in better shape than mine. I knew what a Hoppe cue was -- the first cue I purchased new was a Palmer in Hoppe design complete with ring, but I had never run across Brunswick's WHPro. In the '70's, without internet, all we knew about cues was...
  13. S

Yes, Thank you. Two very big developments IMHO.
  14. S

The Hustler Airs "TONIGHT"

The Hustler is airs "tonight": 5/25/2020 @ 2:40 a.m. (CDT) on FXHD (DIRECTV 258). Set your recorders.
  15. S

Thank you J. R. The Brunswick catalogs are an incredible source of information. My favorite page from these catalogs is the one in the 1941 catalog which introduced the Titlist and the WHPro for the first time. I do not know how to give you the image here, but here is a link that will get...