Recent content by oldspurguy

1. oldspurguy

Happy Birthday Gulfport Doc

Happy belated birthday, Doc!
  2. oldspurguy

Happy Birthday Bill Porter!

Happy birthday Bill! Love your photo archives!
  3. oldspurguy

LeCue Club 1969

Do you remember any details from your road trip you mentioned? Did you ever play in Beaumont? Did you play in Louisiana? Thanks.
  4. oldspurguy

Sharing a couple of old PM's

And one from SJD re Ronnie Allen's audio about playing Dick Thanks Oldspurguy. I have heard this recording many times, and its always good for a chuckle. RA is a hell of a good storyteller, but he never lets facts get in the way. In 1961, I didn't even try to play one pocket. I broke Richie...
  5. oldspurguy

Sharing a couple of old PM's

Here's one from Beard, re Eddie Taylor and Jimmy Moore If you listen to him carefully, you would notice that he is mainly talking about Eddie Taylor's straight pool prowess. Moore was right about that. Eddie was well under the top straight pool players. That was probably the only game that they...
  6. oldspurguy

Is This The New Forum Software?

Thank you!!
  7. oldspurguy

Is This The New Forum Software?

I am not on here as much as I used to be. In this new format did you do away with private messages? Because I had some from Freddy b, SJD, and some others that I really treasured. Are they lost, or am I? Is the pm function still here?
  8. oldspurguy

Freddy the Beard T-Shirts

I like the 'Old School Pool' shirts, but I'm not crazy about the lion ( I guess it's a lion). I may buy one anyway. But would you consider expanding the choice. Putting old school players on them would be cool, yeah you may have to get permission. Possibly put other things on it that brings to...
  9. oldspurguy

What is the rule here?

A few minutes ago, on the Dippy/Duel match at DCC, Duel was shooting a ball that was hanging in the hole and, as the cue ball was on the way to the ball, the ball fell in the hole, and then the cue ball scratched. Very odd and rare occurence. What is the rule here? Billy I, made a quick...
  10. oldspurguy

Don Willis

There was a thread on the another pool site about Willis and some story telling about him. Here is a link to a video Max Eberle made with Garten Bierbower recalling some Willis stories. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zFax7pwcw8 I'm just wondering if anyone here has some stories? I know he...
  11. oldspurguy

Flyboy - Jimmy Spears

I think he is a great choice for the 'Action' Award. I'm curious how he was chosen. I mean, who votes on this? I've seen him several times, dating back to the 1970's, and he always was a class act. I was at the Sports Palace in New Orleans many years ago and got a "Flyboy's Sports's Palace"...
  12. oldspurguy

Buddy Hall Interview

Some of you may want to check out Buddy Hall on the Action Report site. A couple of things of interest, he says he is involved in starting a new bank pool tournament/tour (and looking for sponsors, etc.); he also talks about who he considers the best in the various pool games. It is on the Video...
  13. oldspurguy

Coincidence

I have only been reading/posting on this board for about a month, and some of the stories/posts I've read here got me to thinking about an old friend I had grown up knowing and playing pool with in the 70's. His name is Brett Sempter and I haven't seen him in about 15 years, when I last...
  14. oldspurguy

Interviews by NH Steve

Steve: Really love reading all the interviews you have posted here. Great job! I was wondering, do you have a "Coming Attractions" list, or anyone in mind? Buddy Hall would be interesting. Thanks.
  15. oldspurguy

strange place for a pool tournament

Back in the 70's a friend of mine (Joe Macnamara) ran a tournament at place in SW Louisiana called The Circle Club. It was held in the cock-fighting pit. Great seating to watch, but I'm not sure how the players liked it. Curtis Navarre's family owned this old club and he and Joemac organized and...