Just For The Hell Of It

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
I took this layout from CaliRed's post. Let's say the game is full-rack banks and it's 6-6 in this game. It's your shot. What would you shoot?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4ATaM3BSTM3CYFb4DOLL3EUUu4FGLL3GPaM3HKDL4IaDo4JQoL3KMwM4LLaL4MIoL3NUwM3OHiM1PPuF1uCUM@[/CUETABLE]

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Cowboy Dennis said:
I took this layout from CaliRed's post. Let's say the game is full-rack banks and it's 6-6 in this game. It's your shot. What would you shoot?

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4ATaM3BSTM3CYFb4DOLL3EUUu4FGLL3GPaM3HKDL4IaDo4JQoL3KMwM4LLaL4MIoL3NUwM3OHiM1PPuF1uCUM@[/CUETABLE]

I see 2 possible shots I'd shoot. Spin bank the 9 2 rails toward the 5 or shoot the 5 softly into the long rail then into the 3 with high left and leave whitey on the bottom rail close to the lower corner pocket, leaving no shot on the 9.

timdog24

Verified Member
I like CaliRed's shot, spinning the 9 cross-corner. Seems free, as long as you don't scratch in the side. Cue ball should end up in the area it started from.

If I feel the angle is off on this shot then I'd play safe off the 9, spinning the cue ball 3 rails to the back corner (almost the same shot as the bank, but playing total cue ball). The 3 balls left on the table should be congested and the cue ball diagonally down table from the balls.

Don't laugh if I'm wrong. I can count the number of bank games I've seen in NY on one hand.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
If I was to bank at the 9-ball, I find I scratch less playing this kind of shot with top right english, not low right. I am trying to send the cue ball into the cushion somewhere around "A". If you try instead to send the cue ball along the "B" route, I find I risk scratching more often -- both in the side pocket between 'A" and "B", and in the opposite corner where I placed the 2-ball. This applies to One Pocket end game too.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4ATaM1Bcpr3CYFb4DOLL3EUUu4FGLL3GPaM3HKDL4IaDo4JQoL3KMwM4LLaL4MIoL3NUwM3OHiM1PPuF2QXdj3RaPX4daDo4dbqq3daMc1kPuF4kWij4kUnl2kbOd2kJlh1kNCr2uBvP@[/CUETABLE]

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
timdog24 said:
If I feel the angle is off on this shot then I'd play safe off the 9, spinning the cue ball 3 rails to the back corner (almost the same shot as the bank, but playing total cue ball). The 3 balls left on the table should be congested and the cue ball diagonally down table from the balls.

Don't laugh if I'm wrong. I can count the number of bank games I've seen in NY on one hand.

Who's laughing TD? I might shoot the 9 cross-corner if I needed one ball but not if I needed two. I like the safe that you described, you leave no shot and distance for him to get safe on you.
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4ATaM3BSTM3CYFb4DOLL3EUUu4FGLL3GPaM3HKDL4IaDo4JQoL3KMwM4LLaL4MIoL3NUwM3OHiM1PPuF4daDo4dbiv4dTQm3dWpL1kPuF4kWqf4kRlj2kapv2kIni2kFdF1uAAN@[/CUETABLE]

timdog24

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Who's laughing TD? I might shoot the 9 cross-corner if I needed one ball but not if I needed two. I like the safe that you described, you leave no shot and distance for him to get safe on you.
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4ATaM3BSTM3CYFb4DOLL3EUUu4FGLL3GPaM3HKDL4IaDo4JQoL3KMwM4LLaL4MIoL3NUwM3OHiM1PPuF4daDo4dbiv4dTQm3dWpL1kPuF4kWqf4kRlj2kapv2kIni2kFdF1uAAN@[/CUETABLE]

Dennis, how come you like the bank only if you need one? It's not a high percentage bank, but it seems free. I like em free.

timdog24

Verified Member
NH Steve said:
If I was to bank at the 9-ball, I find I scratch less playing this kind of shot with top right english, not low right. I am trying to send the cue ball into the cushion somewhere around "A". If you try instead to send the cue ball along the "B" route, I find I risk scratching more often -- both in the side pocket between 'A" and "B", and in the opposite corner where I placed the 2-ball. This applies to One Pocket end game too.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4ATaM1Bcpr3CYFb4DOLL3EUUu4FGLL3GPaM3HKDL4IaDo4JQoL3KMwM4LLaL4MIoL3NUwM3OHiM1PPuF2QXdj3RaPX4daDo4dbqq3daMc1kPuF4kWij4kUnl2kbOd2kJlh1kNCr2uBvP@[/CUETABLE]

Steve,
I think on this particular bank, the 9-ball has to be spun so much to make it that you can't get the cue ball to spot "A" (on a Gold Crown at least). But, I know the one pocket-style bank shot you're talking about. I think the 9 would have to be a little higher on the rail Imo to be able to pocket the bank and get the rock to spot "B".

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
timdog24 said:
Dennis, how come you like the bank only if you need one? It's not a high percentage bank, but it seems free. I like em free.
TD,

It's tough for us to see this shot on the WEI table the same way that Greg saw it when he banked the 9. It seems to me like a thin cut and extreme spin. The cueball will go towards the side pocket on this shot. If I feel like I can duck the scratch alright then I would bank it to win the game needing one ball. But if I need two balls and I make the 9, what will I do next? I've taken a chance on scratching in the side(or 2 rails in the corner), made the ball, now my cueball is uptable and I have to play safe. If I just play safe in the first place(needing 2) it's my opponents shot fom where I don't want to be. I hope this makes a little sense. Basically, I'll shoot it to win the game but not just to get on the hill.

Dennis

timdog24

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
TD,

I hope this makes a little sense. Basically, I'll shoot it to win the game but not just to get on the hill.

Dennis

It makes total sense. I like to hear WHY guys will shoot or duck in certain situations.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
I'd feel more comfortable ducking in this situation instead of letting the CB fly. Maybe just send the OB over towards the other two and let the CB come back up table. :confused:

bstroud

Verified Member
I kind of like shooting the 9 in the pocket and drawing the cue ball back near the side poc. It leaves no bank and a tough situation for a safety.

Bill S.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
bstroud said:
I kind of like shooting the 9 in the pocket and drawing the cue ball back near the side poc. It leaves no bank and a tough situation for a safety.

Bill S.
If you can draw the cue ball back to the side pocket you're as good as any player on this site.;)

Billy I.

Banks

Verified Member
From
Portland, OR
A leave by the side pocket with a spotted ball will still give a bank back up table.. granted, not a gimme as the CB will need to avoid the OB on its return, but I'd take that any day over what's been left on the original shot. If it isn't taken far enough towards the side, a back-angled bank to the side would be there, too.

The long bank back up table should be played on the short side, so that a miss brings the OB back down into the mix with the other two. Maybe those with a table at home could give it a shot and see how this turns out.

You'd be giving up a chance for a bank instead of playing for the defensive shot of creating a cluster. Sometimes it is good to tempt a player with a tough bank in hopes of getting an easier bank on the miss, but it could just as easily backfire.

blackeee

Verified Member
From
Jackson, Tn
Banks said:
A leave by the side pocket with a spotted ball will still give a bank back up table.. granted, not a gimme as the CB will need to avoid the OB on its return, but I'd take that any day over what's been left on the original shot. If it isn't taken far enough towards the side, a back-angled bank to the side would be there, too.

The long bank back up table should be played on the short side, so that a miss brings the OB back down into the mix with the other two. Maybe those with a table at home could give it a shot and see how this turns out.

You'd be giving up a chance for a bank instead of playing for the defensive shot of creating a cluster. Sometimes it is good to tempt a player with a tough bank in hopes of getting an easier bank on the miss, but it could just as easily backfire.

If you try to bank this 9, you got 2 pockets you can scratch in. No need in blowing the game from this spot when you have and easy safety,. Steve. I don't think you can kill the cb as you diagram sussested. It's going further down table leavin a possible cross-corner.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:

Helllp..I want to get In on this but what do I have to do to see the table while
I am trying to type?? Thanks John B.

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
John Brumback said:
Helllp..I want to get In on this but what do I have to do to see the table while
I think Cali Red can fix ya up JB

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
John Brumback said:

Open onepocket.org twice in your browser and switch back and forth.
Rod. <--------My answer is as simple as I am.:D

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:

Help please.I don't know how to look at the table and be able to type at the same time?? Yes, I'm dumb about this..lol Thanks,John B.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
androd said:
Open onepocket.org twice in your browser and switch back and forth.
Rod. <--------My answer is as simple as I am.:D

hehe... that's about as simple as it gets!

Now, you wouldn't call your onepocket game simple, would ya?

bstroud

Verified Member
John Brumback said:
Help please.I don't know how to look at the table and be able to type at the same time?? Yes, I'm dumb about this..lol Thanks,John B.

John,

I use mozilla as a web browser. I just open up another window or Tab and go to onepocket.org so I have two views of the same post. Then when I want to type my reply I can see what I am writing about.
I think IE has the same features.

Bill Stroud