Another strange situation.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
cuesmith said:
After I posted this I called Danny DiLiberto and asked him about this situation and he also said that when the 8th ball went into the pocket the game was over and that it didn't matter what happened after.

Sherm

Sherm Custom Cues
Cincinnati, Ohio
When the 8th ball goes into the pocket the game is over UNLESS neither player realizes the game is over and they continue shooting. Also, if a player owes a ball for a foul. Then things change.

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
His opponent also started a thread on this site looking for sympathy because the mean ogre had taken advantage of him and most everyone agreed with him and patted him on the back and told him what a raw deal he got...except for me. I told him that he should be responsible & accountable for the mistake he made and not go crying for help. Most everyone disagreed with me, go figure:) .

Here's the thread:http://onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2480

Dennis

Ok I have read enough.I will give my answer. And a little tip for a few people that don't know It. Ok, for the record....what I'm going to say has nothing to do between me and Roy (we are buds now) Ok,I really can't remember If I got out of my chair or not.But to me, that has nothing to do with It,unless I was trying to shark or something like that.Ok here's "THE TIP" and It's one I learned from the (old school pool rooms) If EVER in doubt NEVER touch a ball
untill you are sure the game is OVER. If you watch me, I am very careful when
approching the table when something like that is going on. And that's my answer.Thanks,John B.

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
When the 8th ball goes into the pocket the game is over UNLESS neither player realizes the game is over and they continue shooting. Also, if a player owes a ball for a foul. Then things change.

Dennis

Yeah,I thought about that too. What the heck would you do then????
That's a whole nother ball game,uh? John B.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
senor said:
Hmm, I kinda think that if a ball is owed, a ball is owed, and the only way you could snooze the ball owed is to start another game.
True enough Senor, as far as it goes. I have played a couple of guys(Horseface Harry for one) who played "sleepers" even though I don't prefer to. There's not a much better feeling than getting down on your shot, after he has run a few balls and sat down owing a ball but not spotting it up, and you get down on your shot after sizing it up and you take a few practice strokes and then, just when it looks like you'll shoot the ball you say to him "aren't you going to spot the ball you owe?". It's a beautiful thing:D .

Usually, only the larcenous among us plays "sleepers", till now that is:) . It does teach a player to be responsible.

Dennis

cuesmith

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:

Dennis

Yes, that's the exact scenario that I started the thread with.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
cuesmith said:
Yes, that's the exact scenario that I started the thread with.
Well why didn't you just say so?:)

cuesmith said:
Player A comes to the table and playing even one pocket and pockets his 6th 7th and 8th balls but had lost count and continued shooting and made a 9th ball in his pocket BUT he accidentally follows the 9th ball in or scratches in even another pocket. At this point he spots 2 balls and realizes he still has 7 balls and was out when he shot the 9th ball in. What's the ruling?

The game was over when he made his 8th ball.

Dennis

John Brumback

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Well why didn't you just say so?:)

The game was over when he made his 8th ball.

Dennis

Good Dennis!! You learn very fast my friend.hehheheheh John B.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
In regard to the match between John and Roy, what John did could of been interpreted several differen't ways, so who's to assume that their interpretation of the act was correct? You can't, so then Roy should forfeit the game. Unfortunately Roy lost the game when he racked the balls, but that's the rules we play by. If Roy would of announced that he was out without being contested by John, then Roy would have won the game.

I guess it's true, whenever you assume something you make an ass out of u and me.

Billy I.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SactownTom said:
The TD ruled a concession (two or more balls moved) and awarded the game to the non-shooting player. The loser asked if it was ok to just play the game over, he didn't want to lose the match because of a rule.

BTW, he was reminded he lost the game by not paying attention to the coin... not the rule.
Shuman must be a master of double-speak. Saying it was Roy's neglect of the coin that got him --not the rule-- is like a traffic cop giving a ticket to a motorist, then telling him that it wasn't so much the traffic light law that got him, but it was that he didn't pay attention to the red light...:D

BTW, if y'all are referring to Roy S., I believe I read that he won't be able to come to the DCC this year.

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:

Dennis
dennis in sherms example the player obviously did not realize the game was over.
so does he win on ball #8 or not??:confused:
to me
he wins

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
dennis in sherms example the player obviously did not realize the game was over.
so does he win on ball #8 or not??:confused:
to me
he wins
In Sherm's example the player realized immediately after shooting the 9th ball in and fouling, then spotting two balls up, that he had 8 before he fouled making the 9th. In this case the game was over when he made the 8th ball. He cannot foul after the game is over.

cuesmith said:
... continued shooting and made a 9th ball in his pocket BUT he accidentally follows the 9th ball in or scratches in even another pocket. At this point he spots 2 balls and realizes he still has 7 balls and was out when he shot the 9th ball in. What's the ruling?

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
Cowboy Dennis said:
In Sherm's example the player realized immediately after shooting the 9th ball in and fouling, then spotting two balls up, that he had 8 before he fouled making the 9th. In this case the game was over when he made the 8th ball. He cannot foul after the game is over.
....thanks

cuesmith

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:

Well that is debatable. He obviously could foul after the 8th ball was made, because he did! Let's take it a step farther then. Suppose Player A made his 6th, 7th & 8th ball, did not realize he was out and shot in the 9th ball while scratching as in the earlier scenario. Now he spots 2 balls, (the ninth ball he made and one for the foul) and still isn't aware he'd been out. Player B doesn't realize it either (they'd been passing a joint back and forth, lol) and he gets up and shoots in the last 3 balls on the table making him out. At this point player A wakes up and realizes he has 7 balls and must have been out when he spotted the 2 balls in his previous inning. Now what's the call?

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
Rules? what stinking Rules?

Rules? what stinking Rules?

I am all in favor of discussing the rules to play by when matching up. IMO it as important as How much $$$, What the spot is and how long. IMO it ranks as high as posting up.

Some of the biggest arguments with the gamblers is the rules. I've seen way too many matches stopped by a player pulling up after their opponent started quoting a tournament rule in a money game.

The two games are very different.

I think it adds Character to the match.

WillieNilly

Verified Member
From
N.E Pennsylvania
as far as im concerned the game is over after the 8th ball goes down and the cueball / all balls stop.....anything done after that doesnt mean squid.

MARK..HOU TX

Verified Member
Good points ST..reasonable minds will differ ..but ..the most reasonable usually agree with me sometimes

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
cuesmith said:
Well that is debatable. He obviously could foul after the 8th ball was made, because he did! Let's take it a step farther then. Suppose Player A made his 6th, 7th & 8th ball, did not realize he was out and shot in the 9th ball while scratching as in the earlier scenario. Now he spots 2 balls, (the ninth ball he made and one for the foul) and still isn't aware he'd been out. Player B doesn't realize it either (they'd been passing a joint back and forth, lol) and he gets up and shoots in the last 3 balls on the table making him out. At this point player A wakes up and realizes he has 7 balls and must have been out when he spotted the 2 balls in his previous inning. Now what's the call?
since they continued playing
to me '
the guy who won ...lost:eek:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
In post #4 Steve's explanation of the way he feels this type of a situation should be handled is imo the correct way. I'll give you an example. Lets say player A needs 8 balls, he runs 8 balls and thinks he owes one and spots a ball. They continue play for about 15 minutes and player A snaps and say's..hey i'm out because I shouldn't have spotted that ball way back then when I ran 8 balls, I didn't owe a ball?:eek:

Well what would you say if you were his opponent?:p :p

Billy I.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
outlaws

outlaws

Only outlaws wanted here or any pool table joint in the country which is why guys like Billy are so respected.When there's no rules and their never is except in your mind the old saying kicks in"You pays your money and you takes your chances".Playing pool for bread is a shallow and cruel money pit where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs.There's a negative side also.Cheers,B