2010 One Pocket HOF Official Discussion Thread

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
Please post your comments and discussion here, to keep the ballot thread clean. Any comment posts in the ballot thread will be moved here.

But, all opinions and comments -- both for and against -- are welcome. Give your favorite players a plug! Just keep it civil with your fellow Onepocket.org members. Keep in mind the One Pocket HOF honor means a lot to those who are elected; just being on the ballot is an accomplishment! These players are all champions and they all deserve our respect.

Thank you, and remember to vote!http://www.onepocket.org/forum/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=34563

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
The more I learn about the deceased players of the past, one guy really stands out me -- and that would be Hubert Cokes. The guy had a long, long career. He may have always been a ball under the very top players, but he absolutely contributed to the game in a lot of other ways over the years. He backed players constantly and he brought along a number of younger players -- one notable player being Nick Varner. He also apparently was constantly advocating for One Pocket -- and was one of the guys responsible for popularizing the game prior to the first Johnston City tournament. I believe he played in every single one of the Jansco tournaments.

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
San Jose Dick McMorran has my vote, he played within a ball of Ronnie Allen who was one of the best one pocket players ever besides Efren. He is referenced many times in Eddie Robins books. He is still out and about mixing it up in long sessions for the cash and we are not talking chump change either.

If he was within a ball of RA then he is probably better qualified then anyone living right now, what else do you need as proof of him being a top one pocket player? As I said, check out Robins books, the One Pocket Bible! 15 years ago he beat Cliff Joyner and Dick was past his prime, check the tape from Accustats. I do hope people band together and make sure he is voted in as he rightfully deserves.

As for deceased I gave Johnny Ervolino my vote and think he is well deserving of it having given his life to this game and playing at such a high level even outside of one pocket. He was a 300 ball runner even in his 70's!, how strong is that! :eek:

Don Smith

Verified Member
San Jose Dick

San Jose Dick

Who did he beat in his prime?
Does he have tournament record?

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
SJD is very well respected in the Southwest and West Coast.
I would see why Dick is so popular. If I had two votes I would include Dick.

My personal favorite, not only for his 50+ years of taking matches no one else would and also creating action when there wasn't any is Lil' Al Romero.

Mr. Romero has probably played everyone on this forum that traveled to the regions of Southern California looking for a game.

The other nonminee that hasn't been memtioned is Rafael Martinez. His One Pocket matches all over the USA have been those that even his Opponents were left scratching their collective heads wondering how Martinez made that shot.

Even rumors of his death didn't deter Rafael from tearing apart Texas in the mid 2000s. Always in a match and Always near the top in a tournament. Rafael Martinez has beeen making players rumble since the late 80s.

PreacherRonn

Verified Member
From
Mesa, AZ
HOF nomination

HOF nomination

My vote goes on record for San Jose Dick. If I could only play as well as he does by the time I'm his age I'll be very pleased. Dick has probably forgot more than most of these new player will ever know. Still going strong at 70+ he's got to be one of the toughest age for age.

Preacher Ronn

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
There are many players who are deservant of the induction, especially the ones that are on the ballot. I am probably going to vote for SJD and Hopkins, Dick is a logical choice under the guidelines set by the hall. Trust me i'm a doctor.;)

Good luck to all, Billy I.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
Since this is not a secret ballot. I voted for SJD and Al Romero. SJD to me is a given but not many outside of the west coast know Lil Al.

He understands and plays the game as well as anyone. His use of the intentional fouls was (is) so effective that in order to match up many would not allow him to take intentional fouls. Even to this day, being well into his seventies, he does not need to be an underdog to many of the top players. Not too many that know him will argue with that.

P.S. Lil Al played anyone.

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
There are many players who are deservant of the induction, especially the ones that are on the ballot. I am probably going to vote for SJD and Hopkins, Dick is a logical choice under the guidelines set by the hall. Trust me i'm a doctor.;)

Good luck to all, Billy I.
Your a doctor and I think you should be one level higher and you will be a brain surgine. Are you a doctor because you diesect your opponents? I think your a very nice guy. And all kidding aside. You have a great and over powering personality. You are one off the few people that I have seen that can get people to gamble that dont want to gamble. And I promote you from Doctor to a Brain Surgion. Maybe a pool Surgion would fit better. I have seen you extract some off your pool oponents. And you dont need no turkies because Thanks Giving is comming up. Have a big fat turky for thanksgiving and enjoy the holliday.

Terry Ardeno

Verified Member
From
Washington, Pa
Good post

Good post

Artie Bodendorfer said:
Your a doctor and I think you should be one level higher and you will be a brain surgine. Are you a doctor because you diesect your opponents? I think your a very nice guy. And all kidding aside. You have a great and over powering personality. You are one off the few people that I have seen that can get people to gamble that dont want to gamble. And I promote you from Doctor to a Brain Surgion. Maybe a pool Surgion would fit better. I have seen you extract some off your pool oponents. And you dont need no turkies because Thanks Giving is comming up. Have a big fat turky for thanksgiving and enjoy the holliday.

Artie,
That was a good post, and it's very kind of you to compliment one of seemingly everybody's favorite stars of pooldom, Mr. Billy Incardona.
Good words Artie.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Artie said this about Billy:

" ...that can get people to gamble that dont want to gamble."

I would like to see some comments here. Is this really the high praise that was Artie's intention? This would be meat hunting. I think one would have to be pretty hungry. What do you think?

beatle

Verified Member
even though SJD doesnt really like me very much thats okay with me. but he does belong in the hall of fame. this year or some time in the future. i am all for giving it this year as he is still around to enjoy it. why wait.

daddy warbucks is also next in line. no way can he be excluded.

another reason to put him in is that he will be forgotten by the new generation that have never met or seen him. and wont get his deserve from those of us that have.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
Terry Ardeno said:
Artie,
That was a good post, and it's very kind of you to compliment one of seemingly everybody's favorite stars of pooldom, Mr. Billy Incardona.
Good words Artie.
Thanks I though it was time to say something nice.Because Its mostly all knocking. And thier is a lot off anamosity. So I thought it would be nice to say something nice about someone. But even that gets taken wrong. And they think thier is a motive. Thier is no motive and no reason I said it. Thats how I feel and I feelt like saying it. And he desirves it. Maybe the knockers should say something nice about someone and see how they feel. Its ok to feel good instead off making yourself feel misrable. And I have herd some people knock him too. But howe can you say something about someone and say he is this or that and make yourself a saint.. When they need too look at themselves. And see what they did. Did they ever play a game off pool for money were the other player had no chance to win. We all did that. And what would you call a person like that. We all look for a edge no matter what game we play. Even in pocker when a A player playes against a person that cant play.Even in buisness the look for a edge and the big corparations are the worst. But in all gambling games thier will always be a favorite and a winner and a looser. For every winner thier has to be a looser. And all that anamosity and bitterness has to change. Because whatever will happen will happen no one can stop it. And people keep up the same crap. Because they are not use to changing. And stay in thier comfort Zone. And it all comes down to one thing they both want to be wright. And the conflicte continues because neither side forgives. And when we are neer thee end off our journey. Then we see all the time we spent arguing over who is wright or wrong. And then we wish we would have straighten it out. Even in familys this happins and they spend thier whole life not talking too each other. And its too late when were gone. Some people no more then others. But nobodys perfect. And when its all over it does not matterwho was wright or wrong. And nobody cares. It only has life while we are alive. And the arguing and anger and bitterness. Feeds off off us. And we all become the victums. Life is short and its the greatest gift we have. And we waiste it and let it pass us by. And the older I get the more I realize what a great gifewe have. And I am thankfull for the time I have been given.

73DRVR

Verified Member
From
SJD/Frost/Ellerman, Country
Dick McMorran SJD

Dick McMorran SJD

I would love to see Dick enshrined in the One Pocket Hall of Fame. There are not many people around with the depth of One Pocket knowledge that Dick has. Dick has locked horns with the best players over the last 50 years, and not playing for 10 dollars a game! He has never been afraid to put his money up if he was getting what he considered to be a fair game. He is also a wonderful human being, and is happy to talk pool with anybody, even players that don't shoot his speed. He is well deserving of the recognition. I will keep my fingers crossed for you Dick you belong in the Hall of Fame!
Kind Regards Geoff Gray

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
I voted for SJD and Mexican Johnny. Nice to recognize a legend like Dick who is still around to enjoy it - but also nice to recognize someone who is not with us anymore like Johnny who doesn't have a bandwagon going other than the recommendation by some of the top brains in the business like Billie I., Artie B., Freddie B., Race Track Phil, and Old School;-) Please don't be prejudiced in not voting for Johnny just because he spent time in Chicago - he grew up in Fort Worth, Texas.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Well, it looks as though Dick will probably get the most votes. Steve has not yet revealed whether he will allow a deceased category this year. If he does, I'm partial to Ervolino. Worst was one of the most dynamic and feared players of all time. However his career was short, and he didn't really play much 1P. Ervolino's entire career was devoted to 1P. He won several major 1P events, and his "after hour" contests were semi-legendary.

Doc

beatle

Verified Member
he also dumped everyone that had anything to do with him. thats why he had to move to vegas in the late 60's as he would have been killed if he didnt leave new york. not even the stone cold creeps wanted anything to do with him. his only claim to fame is he played good.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
beatle said:
he also dumped everyone that had anything to do with him. thats why he had to move to vegas in the late 60's as he would have been killed if he didnt leave new york. not even the stone cold creeps wanted anything to do with him. his only claim to fame is he played good.
Steve I dont no howe the players got picket to vote for. But I think you left out a real great player and he ar least desirved a mention. And I would say he was the best one pocket player that ever came out off Florida.And I watched him run balles playing one pocket. And I would put him in the top 3 running balls playing. One pocket. I guess not too meny players seen him play. And he had a lot off gamble and not too meny people wanted to play him. And if he keepte playing he might have been the best. But he could run a lot off balls from every were. And the people who new him Like Freddyand Billy I and some off the other people should stand up for him. Because he is desirving. And especialy Billy because he knowes the truth. I just thought about him and his name poped up in my head. And when he was shooting good he could have beat any top player. And I think he had the talent at one time too be the best. If he would have keepte playing and learning. He had some great players thier to learn from. Rodrigez Bannanas. Gene Skinner. Marcel Kamp And Danny delaberto. But he ran into bad luck and that was the end off Mike and nobody talked about him much any more. With time almost everything is forgotten. Emagine what will be rememberd 1000 years from now. It is hard to Emagine. Thats why the news comes out the next day. But we are her so we see today and maybe tommarow. Who knowes 1000 years from now nobory might be playing pool anymore. And the probablee will be playing new and different games. But its hard visulizewhat games they will be playing. Or what the world will be like. I know we will all be very old fashiond 1000 years from now. But I thought that I would but in a good word for Mike Carrilo and he was great.