Dippy, Alex, and Vegas...

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
I've watched Alex play several tough (expensive) games here against Walden, Richeson & a couple of others I can't remember right now and I've never seen him act like a clown or heard him talk during a game that I recall. It looks like he needs his manager (Ronnie Wiseman) to coach him in the ways of winning. He's playing a fool.

Dennis
Dennis, Dippie is a lot of things, but not a fool. He gambles high and tries to put himself in favorable situations,at just about any expense, he is a very shrewd man. Alex on the other hand is a very gifted player with a ton of heart, and also has a ton of gamble but I believe that hes in too deep playing Dippie. I think Dippie is in a more favorable position with this spot in terms of managing. :rolleyes: Trust me, i'm a doctor.;)

Billy I.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wincardona said:
Dennis, Dippie is a lot of things, but not a fool. He gambles high and tries to put himself in favorable situations,at just about any expense, he is a very shrewd man. Alex on the other hand is a very gifted player with a ton of heart, and also has a ton of gamble but I believe that hes in too deep playing Dippie. I think Dippie is in a more favorable position with this spot in terms of managing. :rolleyes: Trust me, i'm a doctor.;)
Oh, when I first read Dennis' post, I thought he was saying that Alex was playing the fool; meaning that he was acting cocky or silly.

No, I don't think Pete is a fool. He's obnoxious, boorish, and insufferable, but not stupid. He's parlayed himself into a favorable game, and if Alex sticks with it, he's got the opportunity to empty out.;) Frost is the only player who could give Pete that weight and win.

BTW Billy, is it true that you have a substantial wager betting on Pete?:cool:

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
gulfportdoc said:
Oh, when I first read Dennis' post, I thought he was saying that Alex was playing the fool; meaning that he was acting cocky or silly.

No, I don't think Pete is a fool. He's obnoxious, boorish, and insufferable, but not stupid. He's parlayed himself into a favorable game, and if Alex sticks with it, he's got the opportunity to empty out.;) Frost is the only player who could give Pete that weight and win.

BTW Billy, is it true that you have a substantial wager betting on Pete?:cool:

Doc
No I don't have anything wagered on the match I wished I did, but I don't.:( By the way Frost cannot beat Dippie at the game which Alex is playing him, Dippie has improved considerably since he played Frost. The only person that knows how much Dippie has imoroved is Dippie.:eek: There was a time when Dippie played a solid shortstop speed, but he quit playing years ago, but with practice he should regain a decent speed which I think he has. Alex can probably spot Dippie as much as Frost can, but we know now that this spot is too heavy for Alex to carry and WIN. What is the right game:confused: I don't know, but what I do know is that players should be careful with Dippie, he's no fool.

Billy I.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
With players like Alex and Scott, they might be able to carry that type of weight, but only for a short period of time. after a while it becomes too heavy to carry. Dippy knows this and that is why he takes pot shots at his hole without much caution for his cue ball. He knows they will wear down.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
NH Steve said:
Clip of Alex running ten.

IMHO he should have got two more -- he failed to take advantage of the 15-ball, up by his own side pocket. From what I've observed about good players running out at One Pocket, they nearly always use balls in the general area around their side pocket as key shots to get at the various perimeter balls that lie out beyond the obvious balls within the table quadrant near their own pocket.
you know steve you threw a pearl in your post that most likely will get buried and for gotten:(
maybe start a thread at how to approach your run out. like in straight pool there are guidelines.
for the less experienced and lurker newbies to 1p that feel intimidated to post and be wrong (fortunately i dont have that problem:) )
some guidelines on what goes thru the mind of the more experienced players as they size up a layout would be very interesting to me
.id bet im not the only one

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
lll said:
you know steve you threw a pearl in your post that most likely will get buried and for gotten:(
maybe start a thread at how to approach your run out. like in straight pool there are guidelines.
for the less experienced and lurker newbies to 1p that feel intimidated to post and be wrong (fortunately i dont have that problem:) )
some guidelines on what goes thru the mind of the more experienced players as they size up a layout would be very interesting to me
.id bet im not the only one
You're not the only one that saw that pearl. I agree that a thread on this subject would be interesting and we would all benefit from all the info that would be brought forth from all the greats on here.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
wincardona said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cowboy Dennis said:
I've watched Alex play several tough (expensive) games here against Walden, Richeson & a couple of others I can't remember right now and I've never seen him act like a clown or heard him talk during a game that I recall. It looks like he needs his manager (Ronnie Wiseman) to coach him in the ways of winning. He's playing a fool.

Dennis

Dennis, Dippie is a lot of things, but not a fool.
Billy I.

gulfportdoc said:

androd said:
I also believe Dennis is speaking about Alex.
I haven't watched any of it.
Rod

I was speaking of Alex. He's acting like a loser & a jerkoff. He was playing James Walden here for $5000 and he was so serious at the table that a guy in his 60's(who's seen all the top players) who knew me for close to 30 years came over to me, pointed at Alex and said: "Dennis, that's the only player I've ever seen who's as intense at the table as you are". Now I see him acting like a clown.

Dennis

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
I was speaking of Alex. He's acting like a loser & a jerkoff. He was playing James Walden here for $5000 and he was so serious at the table that a guy in his 60's(who's seen all the top players) who knew me for close to 30 years came over to me, pointed at Alex and said: "Dennis, that's the only player I've ever seen who's as intense at the table as you are". Now I see him acting like a clown.

Dennis
My bad, I thought you were saying that Dippie is a fool because he gives a lot of people that appearance with his act. When he played Frost he was a fool for playing and losing as much as he did, considering that he hadn't played in years. I guess when you feel you have a good game, and you're used to winning you will play the fool and lose your dough. I know i've been there.:eek: I'm a doctor.;)

Billy I.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
wincardona said:
My bad, I thought you were saying that Dippie is a fool because he gives a lot of people that appearance with his act. When he played Frost he was a fool for playing and losing as much as he did, considering that he hadn't played in years. I guess when you feel you have a good game, and you're used to winning you will play the fool and lose your dough. I know i've been there.:eek: I'm a doctor.;)

Billy I.
you know that doctors say they PRACTICE MEDICINE:eek: (just sayin)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wincardona said:
No I don't have anything wagered on the match I wished I did, but I don't.:( By the way Frost cannot beat Dippie at the game which Alex is playing him, Dippie has improved considerably since he played Frost. The only person that knows how much Dippie has imoroved is Dippie.:eek: There was a time when Dippie played a solid shortstop speed, but he quit playing years ago, but with practice he should regain a decent speed which I think he has. Alex can probably spot Dippie as much as Frost can, but we know now that this spot is too heavy for Alex to carry and WIN. What is the right game:confused: I don't know, but what I do know is that players should be careful with Dippie, he's no fool.
Perhaps Pete has improved, I'll take your word for it. He's certainly been in the position to learn a lot by playing top players. But are you suggesting that Pagulayan plays one-pocket as good as does Frost?

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
gulfportdoc said:
Perhaps Pete has improved, I'll take your word for it. He's certainly been in the position to learn a lot by playing top players. But are you suggesting that Pagulayan plays one-pocket as good as does Frost?

Doc

From my observations of late, I do not think Frost could give Alex very much weight. Alex has all the pool skills that Scott has, (maybe more).. he has just not played as much one pocket. He is a work in progress. Also, he is not as "in love" with the game, as Scott is...He has too many other interests.

Scott understands the intricacies of giving up hugh spots, much better than Alex does, at this point in time... That being said, I don't think you'll see Frost giving up much of a spot, to Alex, while he is on this learning curve.

The reason Darren A., or Alex, cannot give up as much weight to someone like Dippy...Is not because of their heart, or shot making/ball running skills, its their overall knowledge of the game.
Giving up big weight, is about all Frost has done of late, and he's gotten very good at it. But there is a HUGE difference between giving up a spot, to a guy like the Dipster, and giving up 'anything' to someone capable of firing back at you,... JMHO

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
NH Steve said:

IMHO he should have got two more -- he failed to take advantage of the 15-ball, up by his own side pocket. From what I've observed about good players running out at One Pocket, they nearly always use balls in the general area around their side pocket as key shots to get at the various perimeter balls that lie out beyond the obvious balls within the table quadrant near their own pocket.

[YOUTUBE]=/v/ZIO07Ho7Kvs?fs=1&hl=en_US"[/YOUTUBE]

Just watched the video Steve...

As a general position playing rule, I agree with you 100%...running balls on 1/2 of a table, it's always good if you can get up to the top ball/balls, and then work your way down...that's pretty much a known/established ball running strategy...

However, in this particular instance, - Alex's run, I have to disagree with you...

At the 2:18 point in the run, was where the cut shot on the 1ball presented Alex with the opportunity to go up for the 15...but, he went up and to the right instead, for the 7 ball, which led him to natural shape for three more balls - and more if he didn't shoot too soft for shape for the cross-corner bank on the 3ball....all that said, in Alex's particular layout here, I believe the 7ball served him just as well as the 15ball would have, probably better - I'm not sure he ever would have got on the 7 if he went up for the 15 - and with also taking into account that if the 15 was frozen on the rail he could have had a problem with it, with the side pocket points in front of it, etc....and also, by shooting the 7 instead he removed that ball from Dippy's side of the table.

- Ghost

Last edited:

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:
Just watched the video Steve...

As a general position playing rule, I agree with you 100%...running balls on 1/2 of a table, it's always good if you can get up to the top ball/balls, and then work your way down...that's pretty much a known/established ball running strategy...

However, in this particular instance, - Alex's run, I have to disagree with you...

At the 2:18 point in the run, was where the cut shot on the 1ball presented Alex with the opportunity to go up for the 15...but, he went up and to the right instead, for the 7 ball, which led him to natural shape for three more balls - and more if he didn't shoot too soft for shape for the cross-corner bank on the 3ball....all that said, in Alex's particular layout here, I believe the 7ball served him just as well as the 15ball would have, probably better - I'm not sure he ever would have got on the 7 if he went up for the 15 - and with also taking into account that if the 15 was frozen on the rail he could have had a problem with it, with the side pocket points in front of it, etc....and also, by shooting the 7 instead he removed that ball from Dippy's side of the table.

- Ghost
I dont no what the score was. But I know a real one pocket player would have banked the three ball and he could have had a chance at 5 more balls. And if he would have gotten a good angle on the bank he might have made six balls because the last ball on the table would have spoted up. And banking the 3 ball he would have had a perfect angle on the ten ball ro get on the eight ball.And the first shot he made on the run if he would have ran into the ball next to the nine ball he wopuld have been all done. And the angle e played on the 7 ball he could have scratched in the side. And two shots he shot he realy didnt no what his next shot was going to be. But his super skill. Showed up strong. And these players are great at exicuiting. And Alex can improve his game by figureing out ahead off time. How he is going to run the balls. And he playes general direction Instead of figuring out the exact angle ahead off time. BUt he as great ability and he as lots off room for improvement. Scott playes better one pocket paterns. And he loves giving up big weight to weaker players. And Scott knowes more one pocket. But that does not mean a player like Alex can not beat him. Because with his talent he can win 3 out of 5 games. And the two best players off today tat I seen runing balls in one pocket are Scott and Eferine. Gab also runs the balls good playing one pocket. And out off the phillopino players. Parica playes the safest game out off all off them. And Cliff is in the same class with these players. And he shoots a lot off aggresive one pocket shots and he banks good too. Guista Montie and Shannon Dalulton love to play offensive one pocket. Even though last time I seen him play he was playing a safer game. And the young player from Texas plays a very strong game a one pocket. And he will be hard too beat. For any player. But I like the style Scott playes giving up big waite. And he knowes when to play safe and when to shoot. And he loves to play the game. And he can play long sessions. But Alex as his hands full. And if the are playing 10 games ahead Just totale up all the balls Alex has too make to win the session. And How many more balls he has to make just on the games they split. And the longer they play the tougher the weight will be. In long sessions the player giving up the big wait will weekon first. Because off all the extra work he is doing. And te extra pressure shots he shoots. And in this game one mistake can codt Alex the game. Were one mistake will not cot Dave the game. And Alex as more pressure on him because off te short amount off balls thee other player needs. And Dave can gamble on shots and if he makes the shots and gets good roles. Nobody can win at this game. And his game can improve. And that would give Alex not much off a chance. And Alex can improve too. But when you are in a game like this it is hard too experement. BUt I guess e won one session So it is not imposable. And if you are a player and you are gitting backed. You have to play because you have a shot at some good money. And I dont think s man like Dave can quite a game like this. He knowes what he has. And thier is no telling how many sessions he would loose before he pulls up. And it looks like to me he loves action. And he is in a pool frame off mind. And he is enjoying himself and thier is nothing better in our lives. THen enjoying the game and life. And Alex must think he can win because he did win a session pretty easy. And I realy dont no how Dave realy playes. So its hard for me to predict what will happen. And Dave is in seventh heaven. He is playing the game he loves one pocket. And if he doesnt win. He still got his moneys worth.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Not much of a difference

Not much of a difference

gulfportdoc said:

Doc

I believe that Frost and Alex are a fairly close game, with Frost being maybe an 11/10 favorite by the game, at best. Alex is a better pool player than Frost, he shoots better and handles the cue ball better than Frost. He also plays harder than Frost, and by no way is that an attack against Frost, Alex plays harder than anyone, period. Frost has a better understanding about the game, and has more confidence than Alex playing one pocket, that's where Frost holds over Alex.

I also believe that Alex can give as much weight to Dippie as Frost can, and neither player can give Dippie the game that Alex is giving up because Dippie plays too good for this kind of weight, period. There is a big difference in his play today compared to when he and Frost played. When Frost played Dippie he broke him down, Dippie played like a bad player is suppose to play, and when Frost played solid Dippie would get weak and was liable to miss anything. In this match if you notice Dippie played a good speed and when he went into a funk he was very resilent and came back strong. Something he very rarely did against Scott. I really believe that Dippie managed Alex, and was quite comfortable playing with this spot, and in poker Alex would of been drawing dead.

I don't know what the right game is with Alex or Frost playing Dippie, i'm thinking an educated guess would be 18 to 5. Nothing more.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
NH Steve said:

[YOUTUBE]=/v/ZIO07Ho7Kvs?fs=1&hl=en_US"[/YOUTUBE]

Alex runs balls very well, and I feel that he made a very nice run running 10 balls, yes he could of run a couple more if he would of played flawless but he did well. I disagree about playing position for the 15 ball when he played for the 7 ball, playing position for the 15 ball puts a lot more pressure on him than playing for the 7 ball, and your options are more and easier playing for the 7 ball. Plus like The Ghost said that by playing for the 7 ball you clear balls from your opponents side of the table and that's always a plus for openers.

Billy I.

Artie Bodendorfer

Verified Member
wincardona said:
Alex runs balls very well, and I feel that he made a very nice run running 10 balls, yes he could of run a couple more if he would of played flawless but he did well. I disagree about playing position for the 15 ball when he played for the 7 ball, playing position for the 15 ball puts a lot more pressure on him than playing for the 7 ball, and your options are more and easier playing for the 7 ball. Plus like The Ghost said that by playing for the 7 ball you clear balls from your opponents side of the table and that's always a plus for openers.

Billy I.
I am going too explain Mistake Free one pocket now this is the perfect time to brong it up. Because people might never get another chance to her how it is played. And I have never in life seen anyone play it. But playing mistake free one Pocket is the highest levele you can play the game. And if a player can play thaT WAY HE CAN WIN AT ANY GAME NOMATER WHO he playes or what the spot is and he can even have way the worst off the game he can still win. Because if he playes that way and he playes the whole game without a mistake. And knowes what he is doing the person he is playing should not make one ball.And his opponent will be on deffensr every shot and he will not have no give ups shots too shoot at. And he knowes on every shot wat he is doing and what his opponent will do and have to shoot. But nobody in life ever played that way or understood what I am saying. But that is real onepocket. And that is a goal that people should have to play at the higest level you can play. ANd every shot is figured out and calculated ahead off time. And even before he makes his first ball he figures out the whole pattern and the angles off every shot that he has to have to play position. And playing the correct sots and the correct angles is a big part off playing mistake free one pocket. And if thier are no more balls to run. You have to figure out ahead off time what shot you will shoot to keep your opponent on Defense and he has to play safe and you keep him locked up the whole game were hr cant do anything. Playing this way is very hard and puts a lot off strain on your mind because off all the thinking you will have to do. Iys not just getting up thier and shooting. You no exacly on every shot what you are doing. Thier is no guessing or axcedents. And you might think the only way a player can do that is to run out. Will it will take a long time to learn to play this way. And like I said if a player can learn to play that way then he will be the best player in the world because nobody can win against a player who can do that. But I have never seen any one come close to playing that way. And I can prove that your opponent will not make a ball. If you can play that way. Even the greatest players wont be able too make one ball. Because the will never have a shot or bank or even a kick shot to sjoot at. And if you never have a shot how is he going to make a ball. And if Alex could play that way he would win . And he would not even have to play every game mistake free one pocket. He could make mistakes and still win. But he would have to no how too play that way. And play close to playing every game without a mistake and that is imposable. Unless you know how too do that. And what happines in his game know he gives his opponent shots and chances to win. And tat is what he has to change. And he will be able too win. Nobody knowes what I am talking about and nobody has ever seen anyone play that way. But it is the highest level off one pocket thier is and you play te whole game without a mistake. I have only played twice that way. And I only played it playing 5 ahead. Because it takes 100% concentration. And if you play that way. Nobody will want to play you. And you have to be in tip stroke. So you can excicute and put the cue ball were you want it too be. Putting the cue ball and the object balls were you want them to be is a must. And why your opponent will not be able to make a ball. Is because you control the whole game from the first shot too the last shot. And you play the whole game without a mistake. or giving your opponent a shot. And nobody can win playing a player who can do that. I brought this up because I thought this was the perfect time. And I would show what one pocket is realy all about. PLaying the whole game mistake free. Your opponent will not make a ball. And thats te style you have too play to win at a game like Alex is playing. And if he could do that he would win. But if he just playes his style and plays goog and cuts down on his mistakes he could probable still win. Because of the sessions he has played already. And he does have a chance too wiin. And what they are doing is what one pocket is about. Thier is lots off excitment and a very interesting match. And booth players are playing hard too win. BUt if Alex new how too play mistake free one pocket. He would be the favorite because off the way he would be playong the game. And his great ability. And that would be almost impossable too beat. Unless he made a bunch off mistakes. I have played games mistake free But I have never played a whole session that way. And its the greatest feeling in the world. And the whole game is you. You are playing against the game not your opponent. And it does not matter who your opponent is because you are playing against the game. And when I play now I cannot play that way any moore because I make too meny mistakes and miss too meny easy shots. And I have no more cue ball control. And if you dont have control off the cue ball then you will not be able too play this way. But you can allways try and learn. This was a good time too bring this up too show people how the game can be beat. And I have spent a life time figuring out how to win at certain games. And you cannot win buy just playing and guessing. And having lots off heart is great. But that does not make you win. It helps giving you courage and it takes fear out off the picture. But I dont no if that is a good thing in gambling. Too much heart can make a bad game for yourself. And you need the odds and percentages too win. And luck is only good for a short piriod and then it will go agaionst you. And nobody can controll luck. But this was a good time to bring up mistake free one pocket at its highest level. And how rhe game can be beat. I hope that some people will be able too see what I am saying. I know players like Varner Grady Freddy Gab Owens and Scott can go into the game deep enough to understand this. And knoweing one pocket already will make this easier for you. Because you will understand what I am saying. This is what one pocket is. And should be. I hope Steve likes it. And it works.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wincardona said:
I believe that Frost and Alex are a fairly close game, with Frost being maybe an 11/10 favorite by the game, at best. Alex is a better pool player than Frost, he shoots better and handles the cue ball better than Frost. He also plays harder than Frost, and by no way is that an attack against Frost, Alex plays harder than anyone, period. Frost has a better understanding about the game, and has more confidence than Alex playing one pocket, that's where Frost holds over Alex.

I also believe that Alex can give as much weight to Dippie as Frost can, and neither player can give Dippie the game that Alex is giving up because Dippie plays too good for this kind of weight, period. There is a big difference in his play today compared to when he and Frost played. When Frost played Dippie he broke him down, Dippie played like a bad player is suppose to play, and when Frost played solid Dippie would get weak and was liable to miss anything. In this match if you notice Dippie played a good speed and when he went into a funk he was very resilent and came back strong. Something he very rarely did against Scott. I really believe that Dippie managed Alex, and was quite comfortable playing with this spot, and in poker Alex would of been drawing dead.

I don't know what the right game is with Alex or Frost playing Dippie, i'm thinking an educated guess would be 18 to 5. Nothing more.
Billy, that was a good assessment of Frost/Alex and also Frost/Alex/Pete. You've been in action with Pete, and have personally played Frost many times.

My guess is that, getting the same spot, you would prefer to play Alex rather than Frost. You have personally witnessed Frost rise from a good one-pocket player to the greatest one-pocket player.

If Frost and Alex played even 1P, I'd bet heavily on Frost. In a longer race, I like Frost even if he gave up 9-8 to Alex (which he would never do). But I also believe that Alex could give weight to Frost in rotation games, which --given his poor match up with Pete-- he just might do.:rolleyes:

Alex appears to me to be much more of a seat-of-the-pants gambler than is Frost. He's similar to many of his generation of no limit hold em players who might shove 'em all in at any time. I also believe that Alex has much bigger bankrolls behind him than does Frost.

Doc

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
wincardona said:

Billy I.
I certainly agree with you about Alex running balls -- he's one of the very best in the world. I was just making an observation about the position of the 15, how it seemed to me it was in that ideal key ball position for maximizing his run -- I expected him to take advantage of it at some point, but he did not. Even at the end of his run when he shot his 10th ball -- could he not have hit the same shot the same way, but firmer, and ended up above the 15?

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
NH Steve said:
I certainly agree with you about Alex running balls -- he's one of the very best in the world. I was just making an observation about the position of the 15, how it seemed to me it was in that ideal key ball position for maximizing his run -- I expected him to take advantage of it at some point, but he did not. Even at the end of his run when he shot his 10th ball -- could he not have hit the same shot the same way, but firmer, and ended up above the 15?
When Alex shot his 10th. ball he had a natural angle going to the 3 ball bank. If he would of opted to play for the 15 ball the shot then becomes more difficult, and position is more difficult. Not only that, but he has to be thinking about protecting his advantage in the score of the game by eliminating balls from Dippy's side of the table, which should influence him to play more conservatively and play for the 3 ball bank.

Billy I.