What's the correct shot here?

Aaron_S

Hi everybody. I'm somewhat of a noob at 1p and was faced with this situation the other night. For the life of me I couldn't find a shot I really liked, and ended up settling for something purely defensive that really didn't serve me too well. My pocket is the one nearest the cueball and I need both balls. Thanks in advance for any suggestion.

http://CueTable.com/P/?@4BUrf1FYyA4PXoh@

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
you will get more ideas from the other players
id like to get the six close enough my hole so he cant just bank the 2 and if im lucky the 2 blocks a direct hit on the six. id prefer the 6 goes long to the short rail if it doesnt lay in my pocket so i dont leave the free bank on the 6
my diagram shows the direction of the 6 not necessarily the end spot.
i also sometimes get lost in the end game and am not sure what to do. im curious what the othe posters say
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4BUrf1FYyA4PXoh1aYyA1aWrn4aaMC4kXoh1kaOk1kbll2kbIM2kQfK@4BUrf4FaMC2PQfK@4BUrf4FaMC2PQfK@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
its been so long since ive played on a weii table im alittle out of stroke.
otherwise i would have made the 6 and played easier position on the 2:rolleyes: :D

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
Welcome Aaron !!! I'm in a hurry right now, but I might do something like this.. try and block any cross bank he had, but better my balls.

Then again, you will want to listen to the actual players here:D

To include your WEI table, just click the Red URL button on the WEI table near the bottom right of the table, then come here and start a new post, when you're ready to insert the table, just click the cueball with a pencil icon in the post window (2nd row of icons - far right) and then position your cursor right in between both sets of cueball brackets and paste in your link

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4BUrf1FYyA4PXgg4VUrf4VbeL4VXCK4kXgg4kTUq2kbIO2kMOk@[/CUETABLE]

Aaron_S

Thanks for the tips! I think I just need to become more comfortable with my speed on the banks. I was afraid of banking the 2, because I thought I would sell out a free bank on the 6 if I put the 2 on the foot rail or too far away from my hole. And I was afraid to bank the 6, because I figured I'd run into the 2 or get a kiss and sell out some sort of shot. In the end, I just rolled the 2 onto the 6 and left the cueball stuck to the opposite long rail. Needless to say, it got me out of the inning, but didn't do anything to improve my position, and I walked away from the table with the unpleasant feeling that I had overlooked something productive.

Thanks again,
Aaron

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Aa, although there's probably not a kiss on the 6 ball straight back, but it's a touchy shot. There's a 3 rail on the 6 ball that may also kiss, but if I needed two ;) ,it's probably what I'd try.
Rod.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4BUrf1FYpt4PXog1aYpt1ackX2aBMn2abmp4aSRn4kXog1kYpo2kbiJ2kOjs2kBTN1uAxN@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
androd said:
Aa, although there's probably not a kiss on the 6 ball straight back, but it's a touchy shot. There's a 3 rail on the 6 ball that may also kiss, but if I needed two ;) ,it's probably what I'd try.
Rod.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4BUrf1FYpt4PXog1aYpt1ackX2aBMn2abmp4aSRn4kXog1kYpo2kbiJ2kOjs2kBTN1uAxN@[/CUETABLE]
Aa, listen to Rod. thats the best advice i can give you:)

Dudley

Verified Member
From
San Jose, CA
androd said:
Rod.

This is what I'm shooting.....:cool:

good shot Rod.

Dud

stljohnny

Verified Member
From
St. Louis, MO
There's some discussion as to whether or not the 3-rail on the six is a dead kiss; something about because the view to the pocket bordering the angle is blocked or something? I hope Freddy will explain or advise...

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
androd said:
Rod.

I like Rod's shot too, but I have to admit I am not a master at avoiding the kiss. It looks like here the cue ball passes first, then the 6 passes.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4BUrf1FYpt4PXog1aYpt1ackX2aBMn2abmp4aSRn4kXog1kYpo2kbiJ2kOjs2kBTN2qYMNIt_looks_like_Rod_is_dropping_the_cue_ball_close_to_the_corner,_so_the_6-ball_passes_without_a_kiss,_while_the_6_ducks_into_the_corner_area.&&ZZ2rHOF&ZZ1uAxN@[/CUETABLE]

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Briefly, Johnny, the rule of thumb is that when the CB and the 6 are in line with a corner pocket (as they are) a kiss is quite likely if you try to bank - either one or three rails. Or two rails, for that matter. Just a fact of life. This doesn't mean you can't escape the kiss, just that you can't ignore it. Theories about this abound. I also hope Freddy will weigh in here.

I think maybe the danger is less when this much space is involved, giving you some room to maneuver, but if you don't kiss you will have a narrow escape every time. That's what I think, anyway.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
That sounds about right to me, Vapros. But I've never been able to find a good rule for 2 and 3 rail bank kisses. There have been a couple of threads on the subject, like this one:

http://www.onepocket.org/forum/showthread.php?t=3722&highlight=two+rail+kisses

I even questioned Jewett, and some others. I also asked over on the 3C Forum on AZ for a rule, since this has to come up all the time in 3C. But no one seems to have a "rule" as in 1 rail banks.

Doc

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
vapros said:
Briefly, Johnny, the rule of thumb is that when the CB and the 6 are in line with a corner pocket (as they are) a kiss is quite likely if you try to bank - either one or three rails. Or two rails, for that matter. Just a fact of life. This doesn't mean you can't escape the kiss, just that you can't ignore it. Theories about this abound. I also hope Freddy will weigh in here.

I think maybe the danger is less when this much space is involved, giving you some room to maneuver, but if you don't kiss you will have a narrow escape every time. That's what I think, anyway.
vapros although i agree with you in principle regarding if the q cant pass to the corner there is a kiss (with inside english) is gradys way of telling if there is a kiss as i remember it,
freddy talks about if the line is into the facing or back of the pocket as a way to determine if there is a kiss.
in the straight back shown in the layout there couldnt be a kiss if shot as diagrammed:confused:
on rods shot its still possible.
IMHO

freddy/grady could you refresh our memories on how to tell when there is a kiss or not??i will start a fresh thread so they see it and hope they will respond
:)

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Steve, I've never heard of any rule for the multiple-rail banks. As far as I know, the kiss is lurking if the cb and ob are lined up on a corner pocket - any corner pocket. I'm thinking that both Grady's and Freddy's advice concerned the much shorter shots that we find on our cross-corner banks in one-pocket. At long range, as we have here, I think the difference in being lined up on the back of the pocket or the facing of it would be too small to try to calculate. You don't shoot here if you can't stand a kiss, unless you intend to do something funny with the cb. Lots of room for discussion and disagreement on this topic. Maybe we'll get some.

senor

Verified Member
If I remember correctly the kiss on the 3-railer can be beat by playing the cue ball with a little force follow, maybe a tip or so above center. You can draw the cue ball if you like, but will definitely need to spin the cue ball with inside english to avoid the kiss.

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
If the kiss looks likely shooting the 3-railer on the 6, maybe even kissing when first striking the 6 since it's close to the rail...then let me add this...we can choose to 3-rail the 2ball instead - with low right english >>>

- Ghost

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4BWWo1FaOx4PYNg4VWWo4VcTc2VRdo2VcHI4Vcxr4kYNg4kVpv3kbUp1kcXG1kFdp2kBst@[/CUETABLE]

SJDinPHX

Suspended
One Pocket Ghost said:
If the kiss looks likely shooting the 3-railer on the 6, maybe even kissing when first striking the 6 since it's close to the rail...then let me add this...we can choose to 3-rail the 2ball instead - with low right english >>>

- Ghost

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@4BWWo1FaOx4PYNg4VWWo4VcTc2VRdo2VcHI4Vcxr4kYNg4kVpv3kbUp1kcXG1kFdp2kBst@[/CUETABLE]

I'm sure glad there will be NO WEI tables at the DCC...Given enough time, you will conjure up every shot known to man...:rolleyes: (and you hit them all perfect)..:eek:.:D

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
Freddy!...please come back...I knew this would happen...the L C doesn't have your posts to knock and demean and ridicule, so he's following me around and poking with his cane at my posts instead...:rolleyes:

- Ghrosty

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
ghost L C as you affectionately call him must be getting soft in his old age if hes only poking at your posts:eek: :rolleyes: :D