Kolby's One Pocket Tourney

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
I see Santa Monica's 1P Rich is playing Bernie Pettipeice in the hotseat and Mitch Ellerman and Ronn Rutan are left in the losers bracket. Anyone have any updates?

SJDinPHX

Suspended
demonrho said:
I see Santa Monica's 1P Rich is playing Bernie Pettipeice in the hotseat and Mitch Ellerman and Ronn Rutan are left in the losers bracket. Anyone have any updates?

Its all over D-man...I sweated 'til the end (and I hate sweating)...Rich and Bernie split, $1250. apiece. I think first was 1500, 2nd was 1000...Bernie had to win twice in the final. as he came from the loser's side, (where Rich had put him by winning the hot seat match)
Bernie won a grueling match on the first set, which went down to the last ball,...Rich was running out of time, (and 400 miles from home)...and both had to be at work early tomorrow, so they agreed to split...Both gentleman, (class acts) played well. Good outcome, as both were tired. Both are winners in my book.
I admit, I picked Rich to win, against my home town buddy...but Bernie played his heart out (as usual) and deserved at least, a well earned tie..:)

PS..Ronn got 3rd, and Mitch got 4th...The nice gentleman, (Mike) who sponsered the tournament, did not want streaming...It was recorded, and Lenny did commentating, and I think Mke may be offering a DVD...It is worth a look at...lots of good playing, and moving, in all the finals.

PPS. The sponsor made the Crown IV table, the TV table, which worked in Rich's favor, as he is not familiar with Diamonds....Had they played on the Diamond,
I would have reversed my pick, and made Bernie the favorite...:cool:

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
SJDinPHX said:
Its all over D-man...I sweated 'til the end (and I hate sweating)...Rich and Bernie split, $1250. apiece. I think first was 1500, 2nd was 1000...Bernie had to win twice in the final. as he came from the loser's side, (where Rich had put him by winning the hot seat match)
Bernie won a grueling match on the first set, which went down to the last ball,...Rich was running out of time, (and 400 miles from home)...and both had to be at work early tomorrow, so they agreed to split...Both gentleman, (class acts) played well. Good outcome, as both were tired. Both are winners in my book.
I admit, I picked Rich to win, against my home town buddy...but Bernie played his heart out (as usual) and deserved at least, a well earned tie..:)

PS..Ronn got 3rd, and Mitch got 4th...The nice gentleman, (Mike) who sponsered the tournament, did not want streaming...It was recorded, and Lenny did commentating, and I think Mke may be offering a DVD...It is worth a look at...lots of good playing, and moving, in all the finals.

PPS. The sponsor made the Crown IV table, the TV table, which worked in Rich's favor, as he is not familiar with Diamonds....Had they played on the Diamond,
I would have reversed my pick, and made Bernie the favorite...:cool:
Interesting report, Dick. I'm surprised Rich didn't offer 60-40, or something less than 50-50, since it would have been tough for Bernie to beat Rich twice. However, I'm sure he was in between a rock and a hard place-- having to blast back to Sta Monica.

Is Mike a different sponsor from the usual tournament backer? Is he local? I imagine Jimmy normally sponsors their monthly events. I assume Frost didn't play.

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
gulfportdoc said:
Interesting report, Dick. I'm surprised Rich didn't offer 60-40, or something less than 50-50, since it would have been tough for Bernie to beat Rich twice. However, I'm sure he was in between a rock and a hard place-- having to blast back to Sta Monica.

Is Mike a different sponsor from the usual tournament backer? Is he local? I imagine Jimmy normally sponsors their monthly events. I assume Frost didn't play.

Doc

Frost could not play, as the new guy barred the top 50 money winners (per AZB's list) Scott was pissed..:rolleyes: Mike is starting a web site, called poolstudents.com...I have not visited it yet. All the players balked at the 3/4 ball in the kitchen rule, so they changed it to a 3 hr, time limit instead (race to 3)

PS..Gus was the only one who was a victim of that rule, he was notified in plenty of time, but he went berserk anyway..:eek:

bernie p

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
Doc

Hi Doc,

I have never seen Rich play prior to this tourney. (Apparantly he is a "working lad" like myself, and rarely gets the chance to attend tournaments outside of Santa Monica).

I had asked Scott Frost before the event as to who would be his pick to win.....and he did'nt hesitate to pick Rich. That's pretty strong given the attending talent, a la Ellerman, Briseno, Pankoff, etc.

I have to say that I was very impressed with Rich's game. He plays an incredibly simple but effective style that is hard to describe without actually witnessing his game. Rich has the enviable talent to continously move balls to his hole/side while keeping you on the defensive.....you could argue the epitomy of the classic top end 1P player. It definately requires his opponent to move well to prompt an unforced error on his part as he seldom gives you a shot to turn the table around. (I've honestly requested Lenny to copy his matches to a DVD so I can go back and study his game;) ).

There is little doubt that Rich could give me 1 to 2 balls but somehow I found a way to grind out a narrow victory in the first set. The 1st/2nd prize money was 62.5% to 35.5%...... so an offer of a 60/40 split would not have been "good pot odds" for me:D . Even though Rich was the better player I felt I had the momemtum and was feeling pretty fresh, despite my typically end of tourney 2nd day fatigue. I personally would not relish the prospect of another potential "grinding" set with an early morning 8 hour drive home:eek:

Either way.....I'll guess we'll never know.

Rich is without doubt one of the few players that shows total class while still being a warrior on the table......a definite rarity these day.

Anyway a great tournament and a big thanks to Mike Lalumiere with Poolstudents.net and Lenny for sitting in the booth for 2 whole days. Let's hope this becomes an annual event.

Thanks.

Bernie Pettipiece.

P.S. San Jose Dick......I took your advice....you Sir are more astute than you will ever know......I believe a few YJ's are forthcoming.....

Last edited:

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
bernie p said:
Hi Doc,

....Rich is without doubt one of the few players that shows total class while still being a warrior on the table......a definite rarity these day...

P.S. San Jose Dick......I took your advice....you Sir are more astute than you will ever know......I believe a few YJ's are forthcoming.....

Bernie

From listening to some of your commentary on past matches and listening to others assessment of you... you also are a definite rarity these days - a class act. And for a working stiff to go even with Rich - you gotta a be one hell of a player. Hope that DVD of your guys match is available soon.

(p.s. now that I've buttered you up - can you tell us what SJD's advice was? ;) )

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
It really was a great tournament and I wish I could have played to match up with some of these players but I had to work the booth and do commentary on matches. We actually filmed 7 matches, 6 with commentary, it is tough to do commentary on 3 hour grind matches for sure.

The 3 hour time limit I felt was good and much better then the 4 ball in the kitchen rule which they chose not to do because there was not 32 players, I believe the field was 24 or so. I think the victims of the 3 hour rule were Gus Briseno playing a very smart mover named Andy from Tucson who is a buddy of mine. The other victim was Freddy Boggs playing Preacher Ronn.

I have to say I was impressed with Ronn and how he played taking down some tough matches like Ellerman and Emmons. Bernie played very well and deserved to be at the end with a fine player like Rich. One Pocket Rich is deserving of his name and plays the game very well. He knows how to control the table well and protect his pawns when they are on his side, a thing that he does very well is control kicking into balls and the stack getting a good deal of strength on his side.

Bernie, I will have your matches on DVD for you and will be by Kolby's later on for a bit to practice. I cant stay long as I have to run home to work on a bunch of projects, one is Power One Pocket and a some other things I have put on the back burner.

I too hope this too becomes an annual event that grows player and money wise. I do believe that it will and hopefully we can have it open to players such as Frost and Reyes which would be great. A 4-5k added tournament could draw some big guns out and a large field too. :)

Last edited:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
bernie p said:
I have never seen Rich play prior to this tourney. (Apparantly he is a "working lad" like myself, and rarely gets the chance to attend tournaments outside of Santa Monica).

I had asked Scott Frost before the event as to who would be his pick to win.....and he did'nt hesitate to pick Rich. That's pretty strong given the attending talent, a la Ellerman, Briseno, Pankoff, etc.

I have to say that I was very impressed with Rich's game. He plays an incredibly simple but effective style that is hard to describe without actually witnessing his game.

Thanks.

Bernie Pettipiece.

Congrat's Bernie/future partner :) good shooting...

As I've mentioned on here before, I spent a few weeks in L.A. 4 of the last 5 winters, and hung around Santa Monica-H.O.B. while there...that said, I've watched Rich play many times and as you said, he plays strong One Pocket...and another thing in his favor, as far as getting action, is that if you don't know him, you can mistakenly underestimate his game because he doesn't look good at the table - his form and stroke etc. are not polished looking or smooth.

- Ghost

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
One Pocket Ghost said:

As I've mentioned on here before, I spent a few weeks in L.A. 4 of the last 5 winters, and hung around Santa Monica-H.O.B. while there...that said, I've watched Rich play many times and as you said, he plays strong One Pocket...and another thing in his favor, as far as getting action, is that if you don't know him, you can mistakenly underestimate his game because he doesn't look good at the table - his form and stroke etc. are not polished looking or smooth.

- Ghost

Conratulations to Bernie, I'm sorry I could not be there. I have played Rich a few times and got tortured every time. Bernie didn't beat me as bad as Rich did, but he has won twice.

Your side of our partner match is looking pretty good, but I have been knocking off a few good players myself. I'll just have to see if I can keep it going til DCC.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
demonrho said:
Bernie

(p.s. now that I've buttered you up - can you tell us what SJD's advice was? ;) )

No, he can not !!!...Home guard, trade secret ...Very little to do with the actual playing of the game, that was all Bernie..:p

Last edited:

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
bernie p said:
Hi Doc,

I have to say that I was very impressed with Rich's game. He plays an incredibly simple but effective style that is hard to describe without actually witnessing his game. Rich has the enviable talent to continously move balls to his hole/side while keeping you on the defensive.....you could argue the epitomy of the classic top end 1P player. It definately requires his opponent to move well to prompt an unforced error on his part as he seldom gives you a shot to turn the table around. (I've honestly requested Lenny to copy his matches to a DVD so I can go back and study his game;) ).

There is little doubt that Rich could give me 1 to 2 balls but somehow I found a way to grind out a narrow victory in the first set. The 1st/2nd prize money was 62.5% to 35.5%...... so an offer of a 60/40 split would not have been "good pot odds" for me:D . Even though Rich was the better player I felt I had the momemtum and was feeling pretty fresh, despite my typically end of tourney 2nd day fatigue. I personally would not relish the prospect of another potential "grinding" set with an early morning 8 hour drive home:eek:

Either way.....I'll guess we'll never know.

Rich is without doubt one of the few players that shows total class while still being a warrior on the table......a definite rarity these day.

Anyway a great tournament and a big thanks to Mike Lalumiere with Poolstudents.net and Lenny for sitting in the booth for 2 whole days. Let's hope this becomes an annual event.

Thanks.

Bernie Pettipiece.

That was a good assessment of your matches with Rich, along with your other observations. I see what you mean about the "pot odds".

I have a theory about the difference between AZ and Sta Monica one-pocket, which I'll mention on another post.

BTW, be careful not to buy Dick too many YJ's, because he might never again leave you alone...:D

Doc

SJDinPHX

Suspended
jrhendy said:
Conratulations to Bernie, I'm sorry I could not be there. I have played Rich a few times and got tortured every time. Bernie didn't beat me as bad as Rich did, but he has won twice.

Your side of our partner match is looking pretty good, but I have been knocking off a few good players myself. I'll just have to see if I can keep it going til DCC.

John,

I certainly hope you (we) fare better than we did, in our Golf match with Little Al and Morro, at Hard Times LA...You were somewhat used to that equipment, but I was really a fish out of water. Felt like I was learning a new game.

That has to be the biggest "home town trap" table, I have ever seen in my entire life. It's like playing on a sheet of ice, with pockets almost smaller than the balls.(..I do prefer tight pockets...but, c'mon..) Throw in some very strange rules...and it would have to be the only game in town, to even want to learn to play on it. Running two pockets, is about as rare a running six, on a normal 6 X 12... A 5 handed ring game, must average about 6-8 hrs.

Was talking to Cary Ames yesterday, (he's a very solid golf player who goes to LA a lot on business) and he had even more unkind words about that equipment...He hates it too..He calls it "72 square feet, of a good reason to quit pool"..:rolleyes:

I would still be all for a re-match, on a "normal" table... End of rant..:rolleyes:

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
SJDinPHX said:
No, he can not !!!...Home guard, trade secret ...Very little to do with the actual playing of the game, that was all Bernie..:p

Damn, SJD, Southern Cali players were looking forward to a little insight on how to get out of Rich's traps ;)

bernie p

Verified Member
demonrho said:
Bernie

From listening to some of your commentary on past matches and listening to others assessment of you... you also are a definite rarity these days - a class act. And for a working stiff to go even with Rich - you gotta a be one hell of a player. Hope that DVD of your guys match is available soon.

Demon,

Thanks for the comment (butter an' all).

Dick is pretty tight with the inner workings of the game......so unfortunately I'm not at liberty to divulge.......let's just say that his 1P mind could still give most of the country 10-6;) .......and no..... that's not buttered up either:D

Thanks. Bernie.

bernie p

Verified Member
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

Ghost, thanks.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you regarding form.

For example....in snooker, if your stroke/form is not polished then there is really little chance of you "winging" it.....but in pool games I've learned (albeit the hard way) that an oppenents form has little to do with their win/loss record.

Come to think of it, I may have to start over and "Mcreadyize" my game:p :eek:

Thanks. Bernie.

bernie p

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
That was a good assessment of your matches with Rich, along with your other observations. I see what you mean about the "pot odds".

I have a theory about the difference between AZ and Sta Monica one-pocket, which I'll mention on another post.

BTW, be careful not to buy Dick too many YJ's, because he might never again leave you alone...:D

Doc

Doc,

I would be very interested to hear your views on the AZ - Santa Monica differences. I've never played in the LA area but it would not surprise me if there was an aggressive/Frost influence comparison verses a general west coast/squeeze type analogy?

As far as plying Dick with YJ.......it's the only way he'll part with some of his 1P sage that he might otherwise take to the grave;) .....the down side is....he plays at least 2 balls better:D

Thanks. Bernie.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
Yesterday I sat thru Dick's 1998 match (2 DVDs!) with Cliff Joyner, for about the sixth time. The most enlightening aspect of it is the commentary of Buddy Hall, who remarks several times that Dick just keeps grinding and never lets you shoot at your pocket. He passes up fairly obvious shots in favor of leaving the cb in a tough spot. In my opinion, that's exactly what he did to Joyner, who became visibly upset and impatient and finally gave up the ghost by taking a flyer on a long, difficult shot, which he missed badly, scattering all the balls for Dick's convenience.

I would say his approach is not dependent upon knowing any secrets, but rather in having the patience and discipline to play his way. Eventually, of course, you will have to shoot. No shortcuts for that. It's not hard, but it's not easy, if you can follow that. Anyway, that's what I think. :rolleyes:

Last edited: