Cole Dickson vs. Rodolfo Luat 2010 D.C.C.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Luat has just broken the 1st game and has the lower right-hand pocket as you view the screen. He made a ball on the break. What would you do? You have three views to figure it out.

Luats Break 1.Jpeg

Luats Break 2.Jpeg

Luats Break 3.Jpeg

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
Cut the 5 ball in and if I go into the balls that are by my opponents hole perhaps one will come up for a bank shot. :cool:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
For me the cut is not a sure thing, so I'd be looking at ducking while moving something toward my pocket. Tough luck break from the point of view that not much opened for Luat. Something like this for me:

Attachments

• Greenshot_2010-11-04_07-38-41.jpg
    Greenshot_2010-11-04_07-38-41.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
steve i agree.
the cut on the five is likely to move balls over to dicksons pocket and i dont like shooting a shot "hoping "something opens up for a bank
i might want to get some of the 13 ball with the six so i could move that group of balls toward my side also.
have to get the q close enough to the side rail or way up table to not give a cut of the stripe by coles pocket

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
NH Steve said:
For me the cut is not a sure thing, so I'd be looking at ducking while moving something toward my pocket. Tough luck break from the point of view that not much opened for Luat. Something like this for me:

Steve, I was a little late I was ready to post the same shot. I also think shooting the 5 (3) ? ball is also okay, you'll probably bump the 14 ball up for a bank.;)
Rod.

u12armresl

Verified Member
I shoot this.

ace

Verified Member
From
Longview, Tx
I think shooting the 5(3)? is the shot. The shot is like so many others in one-pocket, you just have to make it.

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
NH Steve said:
I agree. If you happen to make it then you've got a chance for many more. The cut on the five may or may not yield another shot. Your shot, even if the ball doesn't go, gets the balls ready on your side.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
NH Steve said:
I love it when you save me work Steve:) . That's what he shot and he made the 8 and ran 2 more.

Greenshot_2010-11-04_07-38-41.jpg

u12armresl

Verified Member
jtompilot said:
Nice flyer, Do you have a pilots license:D

Interesting how there are topics on how would you shoot this, and someone can insult someone else for their choice.

My shot puts that ball close OR makes it and puts the cue ball back in the original position with no advantage for the other shooter if the ball is missed.

Its fine, even good to disagree with someone if you have a reason why their shot is not good, or why you would do it differently, but to just say nice flyer provides nothing to the discussion.

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
u12armresl said:
Interesting how there are topics on how would you shoot this, and someone can insult someone else for their choice.

My shot puts that ball close OR makes it and puts the cue ball back in the original position with no advantage for the other shooter if the ball is missed.

Its fine, even good to disagree with someone if you have a reason why their shot is not good, or why you would do it differently, but to just say nice flyer provides nothing to the discussion.

If you spend a lot of time here, you will notice that the mood is casual and we all light heartily give each other crap, as one would in a real pool hall. We try and throw in a GRIN:D, when we're just joking or some other emoticon to let the other one know that it's not a real slam.

I thought his line was funny and knew he meant no disrespect.

I would also hazard a guess, with the word pilot in his nym, he knows all about flying:eek:

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
CaliRed said:
If you spend a lot of time here, you will notice that the mood is casual and we all light heartily give each other crap, as one would in a real pool hall.

You mean for example, like when that wise-ass Ghost likes to post up this pic to represent his opinion of someone's shot choice...:D >>>

Attachments

• laughing_clown.jpg
    laughing_clown.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 0

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
u12armresl said:

WOW:eek: Some people just cant take a little joke.

I actually like your shot and think it would be viable if the balls layed differently.

3RAILKICK

Verified Member
Newby question

Newby question

Cowboy Dennis said:
Luat has just broken the 1st game and has the lower right-hand pocket as you view the screen. He made a ball on the break. What would you do? You have three views to figure it out.

View attachment 1557

(I'm new to the game).:confused:

Is attempting to clear all three balls from lower left pocket too risky for scratching in the lower right pocket?

I looks like firmly thinning the stripe w/ low left would move them all, but maybe send the cb to the bottom right pocket.

Or is it better to leave them since its hard to make any of them?

Did I just answer my own question-duh?

Better there out of play? or move them and open a cross side banking lane for Luat later?

Pardon my ignorance, I have trouble with anticipating the moves in this great game.

SJDinPHX

Suspended
NH Steve said:

Good shot selection Steve...I cannot imagine a good player shooting any other shot but the 6 ball...It lays such, that you have an option of stirring the balls up in your favor, towards your hole, (especially if you can see that the 8 ball is going to be kissing off the 15 or 2 ball) ....and drawing back to freeze him on the side rail, somewhere just below the side pocket.

It would also be very little riskier, to hit the 6 at such an angle, where you could draw back to the side rail, just above his pocket, and drop him on the bottom rail, behind the 14 and 3 ball. This obviously requires excellent cue ball control, but if executed properly, will put your opponent in a "death trap", he may NEVER recover from...could be a potential game clincher...:cool:

PS...RBL, please teach me to draw arrows and lines on an existing photo of a table...This is much better than WEIing. (I will reward you with a big-butted girl photo)..:D

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:

View attachment 1555

View attachment 1556

View attachment 1557
I also like Steve's shot, I don't know what Luat shot, but I would respect the 3-14 billiard that his opponent may have in return if the 8 ball doesn't score, so i'm repositioning the cue ball where SJD suggest close to the 14 ball , playing position for the 5 ball. He can't make the billiard from there and if the 8 falls I will have a good shot on the 5 ball and could do some serious damage.

Billy I.

Last edited:

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
whats the wekness in trying to include hitting the stripe next to the 6 ie caroming off the 6 or hitting both at the same time to move more balls over to your side and leaving the q more up table??

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
3RAILKICK said:
(I'm new to the game).:confused:

Is attempting to clear all three balls from lower left pocket too risky for scratching in the lower right pocket?

I looks like firmly thinning the stripe w/ low left would move them all, but maybe send the cb to the bottom right pocket.

Or is it better to leave them since its hard to make any of them?

Did I just answer my own question-duh?

Better there out of play? or move them and open a cross side banking lane for Luat later?

Pardon my ignorance, I have trouble with anticipating the moves in this great game.
What you are talking about would be purely defensive, and Luat wants to stay at the table and run balls, and he sees those nuance kisses and combinations that allow him to keep shooting -- he wants to make this a break and run.

The other problem with just moving those balls would be, where do you leave the cue ball? You've just blown all your "cover" and if any of those balls stay down table, you've left a bank. Even if you don't leave a bank, leaving the cue ball exposed under the stack is an invitation for your opponent to lead you inexorably into an up-table game -- which would not be in the breaker's best interest, since he now holds a strong edge in position and an up-table game would neutralize that.