2010 One Pocket HOF Call for Nominations

demonrho

Verified Member
From
SoCal
After Hours Legends: "Mexican" Johnny Vasquez. Hustled till the day he died. Beat Jersey Red at 1P on a 5 x 10. Beat Archer and Parica at banks when he on his last legs.

usblues

Verified Member
From
St Paul,Mn
Likewise

Likewise

I would also second [or third] SJD.Likewise Jimmy "The Kid" Wetch.He's not a kid anymore.Also,where can one find a list of the guys[and girls] who are in the HOF?Gracious,B

oldspurguy

Verified Member
From
Beaumont, Texas
NH Steve said:
All of our Hall of Fame players -- Banks, One Pocket & Lifetime Pool in Action -- are listed on our Hall of Fame page; just go there and then scroll down a bit. All of them should also have their own pages, with a little background info/bio and photos -- just click on their names in the lists, they should all be active links.

One Pocket Hall of Fame

Here you go blues.

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
gulfportdoc said:
P00lh0li0, you're entitled to nominate whomever you wish, and then to vote when it's time. It remains to be seen what will be done with that data.

Bucktooth was certainly a big action guy for many years. Maybe even still today. Was one-pocket his main game?

Doc

Thanks Doc. I just noticed I became a verified member. I always thought one could only be a verified member if the person actually met another 1P.org member in person.

As for Bucktooth, the few times I saw him long ago, he was looking for one pocket action. Don't know if that's his main game or not.

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
fred bentivegna said:
I will now chip in with my first encounter with Richard "Bucktooth" Cook. I may have told this one here before. Even if so, POOLhOliO aint heard it yet.

Years back he came into Bensinger's in Chicago. I didnt know him, and he asked if anyone wanted to play onepocket for $100 a game. He also asked to be spotted 9 to 7. In those days anybody I didn't know that came into Bensinger's could get 8 to 7. 9 to 7 to a stranger was a stretch, but I figured I'd shoot 2 barrels at him. Early in the first game, I moved a bunch of balls in front of my pocket and shipped him up table. Without hesitating, he jumped up and popped in a long shot, completely disregarding my loaded pocket. The table we were playing on (table 24) was brutally tough, and the shot he made was very low percentage. At that point I stopped the action, put my cue on the table and proceeded to chastise him.
I told him if he wanted to continue getting the premium spot of 9 to 7 he had better forget about making those kind of disrespectful shots, and the next time I load up and ship him up table he had better act like a guy needing two balls, and look to play safe, or I would discontinue aforementioned spot. This forced the 'Tooth to try and win by stalling only, which with my speed then was impossible. He went for 4 or 5 games before he gave in to the futility of his situation. Once I got winner, if he would have opened up, I would have quit anyway, and he eventually realized that. The next day I wouldn't give him the same game. I don't think he became too enamored of me after that, because that was 40 years ago and I have run across him numerous times, and he has failed to acknowledge me or ever say hello.

Beard

Bottom line, Tooth always looked for the nuts, but he would create action and bet very high.
(Can we look upon this as old-pool history, or is it bragging because I won? If necessary I can balance it out with, dogging it and got broke stories, where I wound up sleeping in the car.)

Thanks Beard. I've never heard that one before from you or the few times I saw Bucktooth holding court at the pool room.

P00lh0li0

Verified Member
Oh, I just noticed that the action award was named for Louie Roberts but he's not in the HOF. Is it because he's mostly a 9 ball player or something?

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Derby City Award

Derby City Award

P00lh0li0 said:
Oh, I just noticed that the action award was named for Louie Roberts but he's not in the HOF. Is it because he's mostly a 9 ball player or something?

That is the Derby City Award. A separate award. It has nothing to do with our HOF After Hours Legend process. That award is given to whomsoever creates the most action at the tourn in DCC.

Beard

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
fred bentivegna said:
That is the Derby City Award. A separate award. It has nothing to do with our HOF After Hours Legend process. That award is given to whomsoever creates the most action at the tourn in DCC.

Beard
Freddy, your either up late or early, I need a bed time loser story please. :p

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Big Head

Big Head

demonrho said:
After Hours Legends: "Mexican" Johnny Vasquez. Hustled till the day he died. Beat Jersey Red at 1P on a 5 x 10. Beat Archer and Parica at banks when he on his last legs.

We used to call him Big Head back in Chicago. He was one of my first pool heroes. He was a Chicago legend for 20 years. He probably hustled every day of his life. Played all games except straight pool and 3 cush. and played them all real good. He left Chicago after taking out a $200 "juice" loan and fell behind on the payments. He was afraid to return to Chicago even tho the Mob juice guy (Al Milstein) put out the word that he had forgiven the loan. Johnny wisely did not trust Mob guys, although in this case everyone believed Milstein actually wanted to see Johnny come back home. Milstein owned a couple of action bars in Cicero and Johnny was always the action guy around there.

He deserves a nomination for the HOF, and that is for sure. I was present when he played Jersey Red in 1963 or 64.

Beard

I cant fault Johnny for not coming back. Falling behind on juice payments often resulted in busted bones and heads back then.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Early "training" and conditioning

Early "training" and conditioning

Fast Lenny said:
Freddy, your either up late or early, I need a bed time loser story please. :p

Just for you Lenny.

I'll edit this and put it up in a minute.

Dope is often the devil in disguise. I once went for $3000 at $100 a game playing California John McCue 8/7 bank pool (30 barrels). That was with Preludin. I played him straight a week later and he quit after only 4 games. I also played for 3 days with Willie Munson and Eddie Matthews (Milwaukee boys) taking turns playing me. I played the whole 3 days while one guy took turns resting. That was on Coke. Didn't help. I lost about 12k.

Not so unusual, if the sh*t ain't working you're feeling too amped up to quit until you are broke.

Beard

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
fred bentivegna said:
Just for you Lenny.

I'll edit this and put it up in a minute.

Dope is often the devil in disguise. I once went for $3000 at $100 a game playing California John McCue 8/7 bank pool (30 barrels). That was with Preludin. I played him straight a week later and he quit after only 4 games. I also played for 3 days with Willie Munson and Eddie Matthews (Milwaukee boys) taking turns playing me. I played the whole 3 days while one guy took turns resting. That was on Coke. Didn't help. I lost about 12k.

Not so unusual, if the sh*t ain't working you're feeling too amped up to quit until you are broke.

Beard
I have only played once using a pill and it did work very well but it was a short session. I sat around after and was not sure what to do with myself I was so amped up and stayed up until the sun came up just doing nothing. I do not recommend it for anyone but damn those balls looked so sharp and clear, I am sure there is a down side to it all though. Good story Freddy, I think that the guy you played was kind of nitty for quitting you after losing only a few games when you went off for 30. :cool:

Last edited:

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Hijack alert

Hijack alert

Fast Lenny said:
I have only played once using a pill and it did work very well but it was a short session. I sat around after and was not sure what to do with myself I was so amped up and stayed up until the sun came up just doing nothing. I do not recommend it for anyone but damn those balls looked so sharp and clear, I am sure there is a down side to it all though. Good story Freddy, I think that the guy you played was kind of nitty for quitting you after losing only a few games when you went off for 30. :cool:

We are taking this thread in the wrong direction, Lenny. Plus, I think I have old-timers amnesia. I honestly must have mentally erased all the times that I went off, and I know I went off plenty. I just checked my memoirs, and I have pages and pages of stories and notes. All winning stories. :eek: :eek: I had thought that I was a little more objective than that, but apparently I have purged most of the bad memories.

Beard

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
fred bentivegna said:
We are taking this thread in the wrong direction, Lenny. Plus, I think I have old-timers amnesia. I honestly must have mentally erased all the times that I went off, and I know I went off plenty. I just checked my memoirs, and I have pages and pages of stories and notes. All winning stories. :eek: :eek: I had thought that I was a little more objective than that, but apparently I have purged most of the bad memories.

Beard

Haha, we dont have to look at this as a hijack but a nice little bump to the top so everyone sees the thread but nonetheless thanks for the story. ;)

onepocket

Administrator
Staff member
P00lh0li0 said:
Thanks Doc. I just noticed I became a verified member. I always thought one could only be a verified member if the person actually met another 1P.org member in person.
I can't meet every member in person, as much as I would like to. So, I also go by direct correspondence we may have had, referrals from other members, or if you used Paypal or your credit card to purchase or contribute to OnePocket.org, or if you have been active enough in the forums to establish 'identity'.

SactownTom

From
Sacramento CA
"Lil Al" Romero from Hard Times Billiards in Bellflower CA.

Al has been matching up playing One Pocket for probably 50 years. Playing with players 40 years younger and still coming out ahead.

Not a HUGE dollar player, but will still step up to the table and is really a good player for being over 70 and probably close to 80.

He also has a good rep for building cues.

Two other west coast players that need to be recognized for their long time One Pocket skills and classic matchups.

Rafael Martinez and Billy Palmer Both have done well at the Derby City Classic and have a long time reputation for matching up on the west coast.

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Little Al

Little Al

SactownTom said:
"Lil Al" Romero from Hard Times Billiards in Bellflower CA.

Al has been matching up playing One Pocket for probably 50 years. Playing with players 40 years younger and still coming out ahead.

Not a HUGE dollar player, but will still step up to the table and is really a good player for being over 70 and probably close to 80.

He also has a good rep for building cues.

Two other west coast players that need to be recognized for their long time One Pocket skills and classic matchups.

Rafael Martinez and Billy Palmer Both have done well at the Derby City Classic and have a long time reputation for matching up on the west coast.

I have no problem with Little Al. I played him 45 yrs ago.

Beard

SJDinPHX

Suspended
Heres one for ya Lenny...My first "trip" !

Heres one for ya Lenny...My first "trip" !

I was always pretty long winded on the natch. From what I hear, Artie and I would have been a good marathon match back in the day...Playing all weekend was commonplace...My first experience, (in my late 20's) with any kind of upper, happened one long weekend in Cochran's.

I was having a pretty good run, but my homey/partner could see, after about 48 hrs. I was running out of gas. He convinced me to try the only thing he had, which I was stupid enough to take. It was the inside of a Vick's inhaler. (long since cleaned up)...It was the foulest tasting thing you can imagine ingesting...He gave me half of it, and I did perk up right away, and made short work of whoever I was playing...I matched up again, as I felt fresh as a daisy, so I asked him for the other half a few hours later... It turned out to be much worse than any "jar" (of which I've had a few of) had effected me....Everyone could see I couldn't make a ball, but in my mind, I was playing perfect, and kept jacking it til someone finally busted us...(I think it was Sleepy Bob)

I always had a pretty good pump (borrow)...and after I'd borrowed all my homey's broke, I started on the SF crowd. (most of whom were in with Bob anyway)... After sleeping it off for a few days, I was shocked at how much money I owed...I may have even paid off some, who never even loaned me any $$$..:eek:

I never again played on any kind of upper thingies, for many years after that experience. I found it much easier to just "go off" in a bad game, (rather than lose touch with reality)..which I also managed to do on occasion.

I did find them (usually bennies) great for driving home though...I could be 2000 miles away, and when I got homesick, I could drive, non-stop, right through San Jose, and into the Pacific Ocean..;)

RA talked me into taking some of his "private stock" of uppers one time, when we were going off in a partner game... and they worked out fine with his expertice at controlling them. However I luckily never got hooked on them. I can honestly say 95% of my matches were played on the square. (except for a sip or two of YJ..:p)

SJDinPHX

Suspended
fred bentivegna said:
I have no problem with Little Al. I played him 45 yrs ago.

Beard

I played him Last week, at Hard Times (LA)...He told me he was 72... He beat me giving me a couple balls, (so I only gave him 4 years)...but I did make him earn it...Long session...Last race to 4 took about 4-5 hours. I had him a little weak, but he is a warrior...fell behind early and almost pulled it out, eh, John ? :eek:

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
SJDinPHX said:
I could drive, non-stop, right through San Jose, and into the Pacific Ocean..;)
I've got the first $1000 to see you do that and I've got several contributors sending money to me to pump up the "SJD into the Pacific Ocean" fund. Are there high cliffs thereabouts?

By the way, I see you have a big-headed mouse problem again. Do you need me to send some traps?

RBL

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
SJDinPHX said:
I was always pretty long winded on the natch. From what I hear, Artie and I would have been a good marathon match back in the day...Playing all weekend was commonplace...My first experience, (in my late 20's) with any kind of upper, happened one long weekend in Cochran's.

I was having a pretty good run, but my homey/partner could see, after about 48 hrs. I was running out of gas. He convinced me to try the only thing he had, which I was stupid enough to take. It was the inside of a Vick's inhaler. (long since cleaned up)...It was the foulest tasting thing you can imagine ingesting...He gave me half of it, and I did perk up right away, and made short work of whoever I was playing...I matched up again, as I felt fresh as a daisy, so I asked him for the other half a few hours later... It turned out to be much worse than any "jar" (of which I've had a few of) had effected me....Everyone could see I couldn't make a ball, but in my mind, I was playing perfect, and kept jacking it til someone finally busted us...(I think it was Sleepy Bob)

I always had a pretty good pump (borrow)...and after I'd borrowed all my homey's broke, I started on the SF crowd. (most of whom were in with Bob anyway)... After sleeping it off for a few days, I was shocked at how much money I owed...I may have even paid off some, who never even loaned me any $$$..:eek:

I never again played on any kind of upper thingies, for many years after that experience. I found it much easier to just "go off" in a bad game, (rather than lose touch with reality)..which I also managed to do on occasion.

I did find them (usually bennies) great for driving home though...I could be 2000 miles away, and when I got homesick, I could drive, non-stop, right through San Jose, and into the Pacific Ocean..;)

RA talked me into taking some of his "private stock" of uppers one time, when we were going off in a partner game... and they worked out fine with his expertice at controlling them. However I luckily never got hooked on them. I can honestly say 95% of my matches were played on the square. (except for a sip or two of YJ..:p)

Hey bud, thanks for the story. I wish you would stay in one spot for long enough when we are in the poolroom to tell me some stories but you are always in the mix and in action. It would be cool if you could compile all the stories you have, I am sure they are very interesting. :)