Dee Adkins vs. Scott Frost 2003 D.C.C.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
Frost banked the red ball cross-corner and it spotted up.

Frost's Shot.Jpeg

Adkins banked the pink ball into the stack very nicely and moved a couple his way.

Adkins's Reply.Jpeg

fred bentivegna

Verified Member
From
chicago illinois
Finally found the right shot!

Finally found the right shot!

wincardona said:
... Another possible option may be to cut the pink stripe and go cross table with the cue ball, repositioning it close to the 3 ball. This position is much better then repositioning the cue ball on the other side of the side pocket where your opponent may be able to do something with the 2 balls near the foot spot.:D The pink stripe really isn't a ball that you need to keep where it is, it may even be a detriment to you later on, if left in that position. Keep in mind that you don't need to do anything special to negate his somewhat better position, then you can proceed to play your uptable game.:eek:

Billy I.

See, that proves that you must have learned something from all that time you spent with me analyzing shots in the TV booth. To me that's real Onepocket brother. ...What somebody does in those situations where nothing glamorous is available. Marcel Camp would call that, "buying some time." Our pal, Danny Di has never shot a shot like this in Onepocket in his whole life. The fact that Frostie didnt find it either, is a little telling also. Or as Ronnie Allen once said to me in the TV booth in Baton Rouge watching Buddy H and Marco Marquez playing Onepocket, "These guys dont know the game like you and I do." I believe you were in the booth also, but for some reason, were not included in Ronnie's statement.

Beard

Dont get mad, I promise to make it up to you at DCC.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Trust me, i'm a doctor

Trust me, i'm a doctor

Cowboy Dennis said:
Frost banked the red ball cross-corner and it spotted up.

View attachment 1324

Adkins banked the pink ball into the stack very nicely and moved a couple his way.

View attachment 1325

I'm surprised that Frost allowed Adkins to use the pink ball to open up the balls, which was clearly a mistake on his part. I didn't like banking the 3 ball because of the possible return bank on the stripe that was positioned up from the 3 ball, and the pink ball which was the obvious counter move for Adkins. Frost repositioned the cue ball near the striped ball and created bridgeing problems for Adkins, but in spite of that Adkins made a good shot and opened up the balls which foiled all plans (if any) of playing an uptable game. I'm glad that Frost shot the shot that he did because now we can clearly see that just because there is a ball positioned on our side of the table (pink ball) it may be a detriment,:eek: if we look further ahead.

I mentioned in an earlier post that it only takes one bad shot to change the strategy intended. Frost made that bad shot by allowing Adkins to use the pink to open up the balls on his side of the table. He was guilty of misvaluing the importance of the pink ball, in terms of whom it favored if left in the position it was in. That type of a mistake is not uncommon because it usually occurs further down the line, but this one showed on the next shot. Frost is probably the best one pocket player in the world today, and he is constantly learning, just like the rest of us. That's why one pocket is the greatest game on Planet Earth.:) Trust me, i'm a doctor

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Good shot

Good shot

gulfportdoc said:
It looks to me as though the shooter could use right english and either knock the 5 ball away, or even bank it over toward his side: ~Doc

View attachment 1327

That shot was an option, and a very good one if available, mainly because moving the pesky 5 ball is a must for the shooter. But you have the luxory of waiting for a better situation, considering how the balls are positioned. But if the shot lays well go for it.:cool: Once the 5 ball is repositioned, the playing field becomes level and we can play some one pocket. Frost shoots that shot well, and he obviously didn't like it for whatever reason. But it definetly is a valid option in this kind of a situation.

Good eye Doc.;) No wonder you're a doctor.:D

Billy I.

Last edited:

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
fred bentivegna said:
...What somebody does in those situations where nothing glamorous is available. Marcel Camp would call that, "buying some time."

Beard
Whenever I was teaching someone the game I would advise on this situation by telling them "when there's nothing to do, do nothing". Of course it's a little deeper than that but the point is made.

These are the shots where knowledge or lack of it shines through. Anybody could see that Adkins would bank the ball into the stack, if possible, but Frost left him the shot anyway. Here's what Adkins left:

Adkin's Leave.Jpeg

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:
Whenever I was teaching someone the game I would advise on this situation by telling them "when there's nothing to do, do nothing". Of course it's a little deeper than that but the point is made.

These are the shots where knowledge or lack of it shines through. Anybody could see that Adkins would bank the ball into the stack, if possible, but Frost left him the shot anyway. Here's what Adkins left:

View attachment 1328

I don't remember what Frost did, but if the angle to bank the 3 ball and drop under the 5 ball is available, thats what I would do. If not then he's going to have to settle to drop underneath the 5 ball shooting off the 7 ball. If you have to shoot off the 7 ball make sure that you reposition the 7 ball on your side of the table. Very important.

Billy I.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
wincardona said:
If you have to shoot off the 7 ball make sure that you reposition the 7 ball on your side of the table. Very important.

Billy I.
wouldnt getting under the 5 be very important.
is getting the 7 to your side very important because you accomplish 2 things
q under the 5 and a ball on your side
and against any good player you need to maximize each inning
so if you can do 2 things instead of one make sure you do both.
doctor bill is that your advice.??
i'm asking because i'm a patient:D

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wincardona said:
I'm surprised that Frost allowed Adkins to use the pink ball to open up the balls, which was clearly a mistake on his part. I didn't like banking the 3 ball because of the possible return bank on the stripe that was positioned up from the 3 ball, and the pink ball which was the obvious counter move for Adkins. Frost repositioned the cue ball near the striped ball and created bridgeing problems for Adkins, but in spite of that Adkins made a good shot and opened up the balls which foiled all plans (if any) of playing an uptable game. I'm glad that Frost shot the shot that he did because now we can clearly see that just because there is a ball positioned on our side of the table (pink ball) it may be a detriment,:eek: if we look further ahead.

I mentioned in an earlier post that it only takes one bad shot to change the strategy intended. Frost made that bad shot by allowing Adkins to use the pink to open up the balls on his side of the table. He was guilty of misvaluing the importance of the pink ball, in terms of whom it favored if left in the position it was in. That type of a mistake is not uncommon because it usually occurs further down the line, but this one showed on the next shot. Frost is probably the best one pocket player in the world today, and he is constantly learning, just like the rest of us. That's why one pocket is the greatest game on Planet Earth.:)
I think that the information regarding strategy that you and Fred offered is very valuable. If a guy can learn to think like that, then his one-pocket game would go up a couple of levels.

Doc

Last edited:

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
usually not an option.

usually not an option.

gulfportdoc said:
I think that the information regarding strategy that you and Fred offered is very valuable. If a guy can learn to think like that, then his one-pocket game would go up a couple of levels.

In this particular case, I don't know why Frost didn't simply shoot the pink striped ball with low right, and draw the CB back into the stack. He probably shot too fast, and merely didn't think the options through as well as he should have.

Doc

The shot that you suggested, drawing off the pink back into the stack is imo not an option. What can you gain by doing that? But you can easily make a mistake and set up something good for your opponent. As a rule of thumb you should try not to put your opponent in the stack facing his pocket. He may have the ability to do too many things to improve his position.

Try to set up shots of this kind and draw the cue ball into the stack, and count the # of times you benefit. Plus in this situation there are possible combinations that you may leave. Sorry Doc, just not a good thing to do.

Billy I.

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
lll said:
wouldnt getting under the 5 be very important.
is getting the 7 to your side very important because you accomplish 2 things
q under the 5 and a ball on your side
and against any good player you need to maximize each inning
so if you can do 2 things instead of one make sure you do both.
doctor bill is that your advice.??
i'm asking because i'm a patient:D
Larry, if I was the shooter I would take a good look at the way the balls are positioned and figure out what Adkins can do to me , and where he needs to reposition the cue ball to put me in a trap. One of the places he can possibly put me is on my side of the table, near the cushion,on either side of the side pocket. And if he needs to take a scratch to do it, it's a fair trade off. I'm not going to give him that option if I bank the 7 ball cross table, and reposition the cue ball under the 5 ball. Plus the 7 ball on my side will preclude him from leaving the cue ball on the head end of the table, on my side.

Positioning balls in your favor will inevitably benefit you in the long run. Whenever you play a defensive shot, try to remember to position balls (if available)in your favor. I call that being discreetly productive.Try to be somewhat productive every time your at the table. If you remember that, you'll be tougher to beat.;)

Billy I.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wincardona said:
The shot that you suggested, drawing off the pink back into the stack is imo not an option. What can you gain by doing that? But you can easily make a mistake and set up something good for your opponent. As a rule of thumb you should try not to put your opponent in the stack facing his pocket. He may have the ability to do too many things to improve his position.

Try to set up shots of this kind and draw the cue ball into the stack, and count the # of times you benefit. Plus in this situation there are possible combinations that you may leave. Sorry Doc, just not a good thing to do.
My mistake. I was thinking Frost had the pocket by the 5 ball.
Having the OTHER pocket, the shot I suggested would be horrible.

Doc

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
gulfportdoc said:
My mistake. I was thinking Frost had the pocket by the 5 ball.
Having the OTHER pocket, the shot I suggested would be horrible.

Doc
I'm glad you caught youself before The Beard and I lobbied to have you Dr's license revoked. I figured that you got the pockets mixed up.:eek: At our age it's not uncommon to shoot at the wrong pocket,:eek: you can figure losing at least two to four games a year shooting at the wrong pocket. Next your spelling will start to go, and from there, well we don't need to discuss that,:( it's not pretty, ask Dennis. But I think you'll be fine, for a while.:D Trust me, i'm a doctor.

Billy I.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wincardona said:
I'm glad you caught youself before The Beard and I lobbied to have you Dr's license revoked. I figured that you got the pockets mixed up. At our age it's not uncommon to shoot at the wrong pocket,:eek: you can figure losing at least two to four games a year shooting at the wrong pocket. Next your spelling will start to go, and from there, well we don't need to discuss that,:( it's not pretty, ask Dennis. But I think you'll be fine, for a while.:D Trust me, i'm a doctor.
I've already lost my 4 games this year by shooting at the wrong hole. And it's only October!:rolleyes:

I see what you mean about a guy's spelling going south. Yours has already suffered significantly. If you part with some 1P tips now and then, I'll agree to help you with your spelling and grammar.;)

Doc

sappo

Verified Member
From
Tucson AZ
Very Informative Comments Billy

Very Informative Comments Billy

Billy, just want to let you know how helpful your comments throughout this thread have been. we often talk about the best shot but not enough about situational strageties. Thanks for this lesson and please continue to reply in this conceptual manner. Sappo

wincardona

Verified Member
From
Dallas Tx.
gulfportdoc said:
I've already lost my 4 games this year by shooting at the wrong hole. And it's only October!:rolleyes:

I see what you mean about a guy's spelling going south. Yours has already suffered significantly. If you part with some 1P tips now and then, I'll agree to help you with your spelling and grammar.;)

Doc

Doc, are you tauking about over the fone tipps, or face to face tipps.?:D

Billy I.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
wincardona said:
Doc, are you tauking about over the fone tipps, or face to face tipps.?:D

Billy I.
With over-the-phone tips I'll provide spelling help. With F2F tips, I'll do my best to help with your grammar. After all, you ARE from Pittsburgh...:)

Doc