What I did, what did he do ?

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
These similar shots came up about a week apart.
Page#1 His shot, he took a foul. I need 1 ball, I rolled to the rail.;)
Page #2 His shot, I took a foul and got the 9 dead in my pocket. He needed 1 ball. He made a shot here that left me completely helpless. :confused: I'll know what to try if I'm ever in this situation. What would you shoot ?
Rod

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AUwM3BGsL3COsL3DJmK3EbKd3FReL4GATX3HMgK2INbk4JNVM4KWsM4LTRL4MQHL4NKLN4OHBM2PNkB4QdOt3RcYu2kNTB2kNrt2karW2qQtF&ZZ2rHOFI'm_pocket_B_I_need_1_ball._My_opponent_took_a_foul_and_the_arrow__indicates_my_shot.&ZZ@3AUwM3BGsL3COsL3DJmK3EbKd3FReL4GATX3HMgK2INbk4JNVM4KWsM4LTRL4MQHL4NKLN4OHBM2POiB4QdOt3RcYu2qQtB&ZZ2rHOF&ZZ1sCYFI'm_pocket_A,_just_took_a_foul_and_need_3_balls&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Frank Almanza

Verified Member
From
Upland, California
I'm sorry Rod, but I must be missing something here, Can you explain more. thanks. Is there another part to this thread? Or maybe I'm just an airhead.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Frank Almanza said:
I'm sorry Rod, but I must be missing something here, Can you explain more. thanks. Is there another part to this thread? Or maybe I'm just an airhead.
Page #1 is what I did .
Page #2 What would you do ?
Rod.

Attachments

• page #2.jpg
    page #2.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 2

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
androd said:
These similar shots came up about a week apart.
Page#1 His shot, he took a foul. I need 1 ball, I rolled to the rail.;)
Page #2 His shot, I took a foul and got the 9 dead in my pocket. He needed 1 ball. He made a shot here that left me completely helpless. :confused: I'll know what to try if I'm ever in this situation. What would you shoot ?
Rod

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AUwM3BGsL3COsL3DJmK3EbKd3FReL4GATX3HMgK2INbk4JNVM4KWsM4LTRL4MQHL4NKLN4OHBM2PNkB4QdOt3RcYu2kNTB2kNrt2karW2qQtF&ZZ2rHOFI'm_pocket_B_I_need_1_ball._My_opponent_took_a_foul_and_the_arrow__indicates_my_shot.&ZZ@3AUwM3BGsL3COsL3DJmK3EbKd3FReL4GATX3HMgK2INbk4JNVM4KWsM4LTRL4MQHL4NKLN4OHBM2POiB4QdOt3RcYu2qQtB&ZZ2rHOF&ZZ1sCYFI'm_pocket_A,_just_took_a_foul_and_need_3_balls&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]
For page two's shot I would try to get the 9 ball over the headstring and let you fire away.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AUwM3BGsL3COsL3DJmK3EbKd3FReL4GATX3HMgK2INSj4JNVM4KWsM4LTRL4MQHL4NKLN4OHBM2POiB4QdOt3RcYu2dNSj2dJYE2kOiB2kNSr1kMWi1kXPy2qQtB&ZZ2rHOF&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Skin

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
For page two's shot I would try to get the 9 ball over the headstring and let you fire away.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AUwM3BGsL3COsL3DJmK3EbKd3FReL4GATX3HMgK2INSj4JNVM4KWsM4LTRL4MQHL4NKLN4OHBM2POiB4QdOt3RcYu2dNSj2dJYE2kOiB2kNSr1kMWi1kXPy2qQtB&ZZ2rHOF&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

Smart shot, Dennis!

Skin

One Pocket John

Verified Member
If I'm pocket "B", I'm banking the cue ball 2 rails to make the 5, then banking the 9 ball one rail getting reasonable position to make the 7 in the "B" pocket.

If I miss the 9 one rail bank at least it will be close enough to my pocket (playin speed for 7 ball position) to give my opponent a time to scratch his head. With any luck after banking the 9 the cue ball will end up in line with the 7 with little chance of removing the 9. (cant see the 9)

I think the "B" pocket will win this match.

John

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Frank Almanza said:
I take it that Rod is being spotted in this game and only needs to get to seven?

rod said:
Page#1 His shot, he took a foul. I need 1 ball, I rolled to the rail.
Page #2 His shot, I took a foul and got the 9 dead in my pocket. He needed 1 ball.
Rod.

Sorry I'm not making this clear.
Rod.

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
androd said:
Sorry I'm not making this clear.
Rod.
Let me help you out Rod: Rod has pocket 'A' as he wrote on the table, it's pocket 'B's shot, as he wrote. Rod is giving up 9-7(which he didn't write & doesn't matter) and needs all three balls but it's not his shot, as he wrote. It's player B's shot at pocket 'B', it is not player 'A's shot at pocket 'A', as Rod wrote.

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AUwM3BGsL3COsL3DJmK3EbKd3FReL4GATX3HMgK2INbk4JNVM4KWsM4LTRL4MQHL4NKLN4OHBM2POiB4QdOt3RcYu2qQtB&ZZ2rHOF&ZZ1sCYFI'm_pocket_A,_just_took_a_foul_and_need_3_balls&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
androd said:
If he follows the 5 ball in, you have CB in hand with a free shot at the 9 ball.;)
Rod.
player b shoots dennis shot this leaves the 9 out of the kitchen. player A (you) now make the 5 and scratch.(you are now on 2 fouls also) 2 balls on the spot (making 3 on the spot)
now you need 4.
player b now shoots the 9 and folllows to break up the balls on the spot:mad: :(
or he makes the 9 and positions the q to the spot of his choosing for his next shot (probably a safety). you now need 4 and he needs to if he only gets the 9
im sure im missing something because dennis would not show any shot not well thought out.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
lll said:
player b shoots dennis shot this leaves the 9 out of the kitchen. player A (you) now make the 5 and scratch.(you are now on 2 fouls also) 2 balls on the spot (making 3 on the spot)
now you need 4.
player b now shoots the 9 and folllows to break up the balls on the spot:mad: :(
or he makes the 9 and positions the q to the spot of his choosing for his next shot (probably a safety). you now need 4 and he needs to if he only gets the 9
im sure im missing something because dennis would not show any shot not well thought out.

Larry, sorry again I can't seem to make this clear.
Rod.

rod said:
Page #2 His shot, I took a foul and got the 9 dead in my pocket. He needed 1 ball.

androd

Verified Member
From
New Braunfels tx.
Cowboy Dennis said:

Dennis, amazingly after all the years I've played I never thought of this simple shot you diagramed. Maybe if I had a brainwave now and then I'd of figured it out. Page #1 was a week or so earlier and the same shot would've given me a cinch. I shot to the near rail because the table is tough and I was afraid he might get it out from the other side. He missed the spot shot and all was good. Page #2 He kicked at the 9 ball. It went up and back and stopped in front of the side pocket on his side, where I had no bank. Then the light bulb over my head (Idea) came on and I now know what to do if I live long enough for that situation to occur again.;)
Rod.
PS, you knew what to do immediately.:) I'm impressed even though it is as simple as I am. :p

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
its his shot (what dennis did) and now its your shot right??? you have pocket A
[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AUwM3BGsL3COsL3DJmK3EbKd3FReL4GATX3HMgK2IJYB4JNVM4KWsM4LTRL4MQHL4NKLN4OHBM1PXHy4QdOt3RcYu2dJYB2dJYC2dJYD1kXHy1kXgy2qQtB&ZZ2rHOF&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
lll said:
now you need 4.
so now isnt this the scenario. i havent hit the wine cellar yet:D
lets make this simpler
tell me why dennis solution is the answer.
sorry for being so dense on this one. have a beer on me. my I.O.U. is good

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
lll said:
so now isnt this the scenario. i havent hit the wine cellar yet:D
lets make this simpler
tell me why dennis solution is the answer.
sorry for being so dense on this one. have a beer on me. my I.O.U. is good
Larry,

We all get a brain-lock at one time or another, don't fret it. I'll unlock it for you but the price is a fifth of Jameson Irish Whiskey, beer is cheap;) .

Rod stated that he needs all 3 balls. He and his opponent both have 6 balls after Rod's foul and spotting of the owed ball. The only way that Rod can need all 3 balls(with 3 on the table) is if his opponent is going to 7, hence I wrote in my explanation that Rod is giving up 9-7.

Player 'B' only needs one ball, not two. That's where you are getting confused. After Rod shoots in the 5 ball and scratches behind it(after my shot), player 'B' can win by making the 9 ball:eek: . By shooting the shot I diagrammed I am giving Rod a free shot to (1)pocket the 5 and scratch behind it or (2) try to take the 5 out and turn the cueball loose in the process. Neither are good options if I get the 9 ball over the headstring.

Dennis

Cowboy Dennis

Verified Member
From
Detroit,Michigan
androd said:
Dennis, amazingly after all the years I've played I never thought of this simple shot you diagramed.
Rod.
PS, you knew what to do immediately.:) I'm impressed even though it is as simple as I am. :p
Rod,

I'm certain that if this layout came up on a real table instead of the WEI table, you would know exactly...what?...oh...is that right?...nevermind:D .

Dennis

Skin

Verified Member
Cowboy Dennis said:
Larry,

We all get a brain-lock at one time or another, don't fret it. I'll unlock it for you but the price is a fifth of Jameson Irish Whiskey, beer is cheap;) .

Rod stated that he needs all 3 balls. He and his opponent both have 6 balls after Rod's foul and spotting of the owed ball. The only way that Rod can need all 3 balls(with 3 on the table) is if his opponent is going to 7, hence I wrote in my explanation that Rod is giving up 9-7.

Player 'B' only needs one ball, not two. That's where you are getting confused. After Rod shoots in the 5 ball and scratches behind it(after my shot), player 'B' can win by making the 9 ball:eek: . By shooting the shot I diagrammed I am giving Rod a free shot to (1)pocket the 5 and scratch behind it or (2) try to take the 5 out and turn the cueball loose in the process. Neither are good options if I get the 9 ball over the headstring.

Dennis

There is actually this also, Dennis, which is what I would try. I would shoot for the 5 and follow-in of course, but the 9 might go, also (angle allowing :) ), If not, it will wind up on my side and he'll have to bank it probably, if there is room.

Skin

[CUETABLE]http://CueTable.com/P/?@3AUwM3BGsL3COsL3DJmK3EcIu3FReL4GATX3HMgK2IJYB4JNVM4KWsM4LTRL4MQHL4NKLN4OHBM1PXHy4QdOt3RcYu2dJYB2dbFi4denC1kXHy2kHEH3kbrs2qQtB&ZZ2rHOF&ZZ@[/CUETABLE]