NEWSFLASH - Artie, Billy, et al...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Just got off the phone with George Bru and Joe N. from Mobile. Billy I. and Artie B. are about to play partners one-pocket against Ricky Byrd (owner of Breaker's Billiards) and Clint McCullough (sp), even-up. Clint is a strong 9-baller from the East Coast --I believe-- but I don't know anything about his 1P game. It better be good.;)

I don't know the stakes or the length of the sets. My guess is it would likely be for multiple bags o' sand.

George will call me later to update me. It hurts me to have been in Mobile today working at my store; but yet I had to come back to Gulfport tonight to work at my clinic tomorrow. You can be sure I'll be over in Mobile all weekend. However if they do in fact play a long session starting tonight, my guess is that Artie would not want to get right back into it again this weekend. Just speculatin'. On the other hand, Billy would likely be ready for action all weekend.

I knew Billy was going to Mobile, but I was surprised to hear that the Bodester was too.:cool:

It has the makings of an interesting weekend.

Doc

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Just heard from George. It's 4 ahead for 10 bags. No coaching allowed. Also heard that Clint can definitely play 1P. He supposedly gives Brincat 10-7, 9-7.

Doc

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
gulfportdoc said:
Just heard from George. It's 4 ahead for 10 bags. No coaching allowed. Also heard that Clint can definitely play 1P. He supposedly gives Brincat 10-7, 9-7.

Doc

Thanks Doc, wish I could be there. Heard the weather there was brutal right now.

Glad to hear Artie is playing and hope to play our rubber match at the Derby.

I had a dose of the partners game in Galveston. Billy & Artie play pretty well together.

I don't know how the other guys play but keep us posted.

mr3cushion

Verified Member
From
Cocoa Beach, FL
gulfportdoc said:

Doc

Doc; Are they plyn even?

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
mr3cushion said:
Lenny: get down there and STREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"
I was asked when I was in Mobile to do it and said I would but not going to do it just for a plane ticket, all expenses would have to be covered. Going to Mobile for 4 days or so even without the cost of the plane ticket will not be cheap, baggage alone will run about $300. When Ricky was told I need my expenses paid he made other arrangements I was told. Ricky is a good dude and I enjoyed his company in Mobile along with George Bru, George is a hell of a nice guy. If I am free I will stream an event as long as the expenses are paid, I will give my time and equipment for nothing, sounds like a fair deal to me. :cool:

Fast Lenny

Verified Member
From
Arizona & OCNY
mr3cushion said:
Lenny; Sounds fair to me, the winner's can pay!

Bill Smith "Mr3Cushion"

P.S. You could bring the Duck with you

Haha, too late for me to go now, got a stream to do this Saturday and Sunday here in AZ. I do think it would be fun because of all the action that will be taking place there. :)

P.S. Anyone going to take my $50 sweat bet? :D

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
jrhendy said:
Thanks Doc, wish I could be there. Heard the weather there was brutal right now.

Glad to hear Artie is playing and hope to play our rubber match at the Derby.

I had a dose of the partners game in Galveston. Billy & Artie play pretty well together.

I don't know how the other guys play but keep us posted.

John, Doc would know better than I, but I believe that Ricky Byrd plays about 10-8 under us...the other guy Clint - I don't know his One Pocket speed, but I do know he's a strong 9ball player.

- Ghost

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
One Pocket Ghost said:
John, Doc would know better than I, but I believe that Ricky Byrd plays about 10-8 under us...the other guy Clint - I don't know his One Pocket speed, but I do know he's a strong 9ball player.

- Ghost

Hey ghosty...I just got word that the Byrd team and the Artie team broke even for the night and will resume tomorrow....
However....Artie and Byrd are just starting a set race for $5,000...I don't know if they said race to 4 or 4 ahead....I assume with Artie it's 4 ahead.

I'm on the way back up there...Me and Doc will keep you guys posted....

BTW Lenny...I also like Billy and Artied for the cash....;) So I won't be betting on my hometown hero....:D

One Pocket Ghost

Verified Member
From
Ghosttown
gbru said:
Hey ghosty...I just got word that the Byrd team and the Artie team broke even for the night and will resume tomorrow....
However....Artie and Byrd are just starting a set race for $5,000...I don't know if they said race to 4 or 4 ahead....I assume with Artie it's 4 ahead.

BTW Lenny...I also like Billy and Artied for the cash....;) So I won't be betting on my hometown hero....:D

Hi George, long time no see...

I believe Artie should beat Ricky Byrd...

You know how I play...am I right in thinking that Byrd plays a ball or two under me?

- Ghost

CaliRed

Verified Member
From
Heart of the Midwest
gbru said:

Thanks for the updates gbru and Doc! Keep 'em coming!

Boy that Billy gets around. I got a PM earlier this afternoon from him, I thought he was probably lounging around at home, but now it turns out, he may be a Internet Road Warrior.:D

I too, believe Artie and Billy will get the cash.

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
One Pocket Ghost said:
Hi George, long time no see...

I believe Artie should beat Ricky Byrd...

You know how I play...am I right in thinking that Byrd plays a ball or two under me?

- Ghost

Well I just got home Luke....I burned out at 5:30 AM.

Artie and Byrd were playing a race to 4 and at one point
Byrd was on the hill and breaking but Artie turned his break around and ended up winning that game...When I left it was tied 3-3 and the ball count was 6 Artie & 4 Byrd....But Artie was playing real slow and I just couldn't take it anymore....Sorry...I was wore out.

Artie had a chance to close it out 2 times but missed the ball...once with ball in hand.

I'll report back tomorrow.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I heard from the counter gal at Breakers that Artie lost his set with Ricky Byrd. Will confirm that later.

I don't know when Artie/Billy Ricky/Clint will resume their partners contest. I'll be over there this evening. George will probably update as well.

One obstacle I see is that they're supposedly having a stupid 9-ball or 10-ball ring game this evening. That will take up possibly two of the three best tables. The other good one is close by, so the crowding around the ring game may hamper any continuation of the partners match. There are 4 other Diamonds, but the lighting is poor. I'd never play a serious match on either of them, but then-- I'm real picky.

Tomorrow all the nervous, charged up, sweaty 9-ballers will descend upon the toy table side of the room for the barbox marathon. The Calcutta (a show in itself) is scheduled for 11 A.M., tournament at 2 P.M. It's never started on time in the past. But anyway, that will leave most of the 9-footers open for real pool.:D

Doc

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
lll said:
even the sweaters get worn down by artie:rolleyes: (jk george)

That' the truth Larry....

You should have seen the faces Billy was making when Artie had his chance and didn't close it out....He's funny....:D

However....during the match Artie did make some nice long, straight-in shots when he was trapped-up and had to.... But he just couldn't close it out when he had the opportunity 2X....

His cueball speed seemed to be a problem also...He was leaving the queball 3 or 4 inches off the rail instead of frozen and several times the queball came around the back side of a ball to leave Byrd a shot and often the game.

But it ain't nobody comes close to Artie at analyzing the complete table 2 or 3times before he fianally gets down....Byrd kept joking that he was going to put a 12 minute shot clock on Artie....

If you don't know Byrd you are missing a treat...He is a character out of a magazine....:D

I'm heading back up soon...I'll keep you posted...later...

gbru

Verified Member
From
mobile al
One Pocket Ghost said:

- Ghost

I think he might play about even with you guys Luke....
John should come over...I'm sure Byrd would make a game with him....

Billy could give you more insight into the status of Ricky's game....I did hear Billy comment that Byrd was playing about 2 or 3 balls over his head during their match....;)

Then Byrd said..."Yeah, but my partner is playing about 2 or 3 ball below his speed." Which was about right....

I think it will be close but I still like Artie and Billy.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
gbru said:
I think he might play about even with you guys Luke....
John should come over...I'm sure Byrd would make a game with him....

Billy could give you more insight into the status of Ricky's game....I did hear Billy comment that Byrd was playing about 2 or 3 balls over his head during their match....;)

Then Byrd said..."Yeah, but my partner is playing about 2 or 3 ball below his speed." Which was about right....

I think it will be close but I still like Artie and Billy.
too bad we cant see it streamed or dvd . it may not be A+++ level but i think we could tell what they were thinking whether they executed it or not. a player review like accu stats does to realy hear what was in your head would be priceless if not only for historical purposes but to see inside the brains of champions.JMHO