5 rack game?

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Absolutely awesome Mr. G 55 is a number most any player could be proud of, playing with the no ball in hand rule. I didn't see much luck , just a lot of great shot making, and some fine position play. If the 4 railer goes and you don't scratch on the last combo , you had a realistic shot at the low, to mid 60s. Great playing! As far as the question , why about the game , it's the hard work you put in. I remember doing the Joe Tucker corner pocket drills, in 2014 all winter. I started at about 230 for the entire drill, {a lot of easy shots missed, because of lack of concentration and dedication} and worked and worked on it . I finally broke 150 after a few months and got pretty consistent around that mark , but no better . Then one night I shot a 117 , Joe said he was shooting around that when he was on the pro tour. Then my back started acting up and I had to quit playing, I was 65 and playing the best pool of my life. You move around well , and seem in good shape, I wish you many more years of playing great ! Thanks for sharing the video.
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Joe's corner pocket drills, but it sounds like you were killing it -awesome.

I want to thank you for putting 45 in my head and giving me the confidence to try to reach that goal.

Dr. Dave posted a challenge to run your age in straight pool so I've been trying that; reaching 59 and freezing up against a ball was my highest so far. Maybe that had something to do with my 55?

Peace.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Wow, nice Dave!!!!

I haven't seen it all yet but I watched the first rack and great run! Will watch the rest later but just wanted to say congrats. Big pockets or not that's impressive and shows some smart choices on your patterns...

After you beat me playing 3 cushion in Chicago I always thought..well that's billiards.. one hole will be different... then you snapped off the latest MOT and now ran 55 in 5 racks...I think I have my answer :)

Good shooting bro!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Wow, nice Dave!!!!

I haven't seen it all yet but I watched the first rack and great run! Will watch the rest later but just wanted to say congrats. Big pockets or not that's impressive and shows some smart choices on your patterns...

After you beat me playing 3 cushion in Chicago I always thought..well that's billiards.. one hole will be different... then you snapped off the latest MOT and now ran 55 in 5 racks...I think I have my answer :)

Good shooting bro!
Thanks, Chris. I look forward to playing some more 3c one of these days, especially with you. The senior center in Greeley has been closed since March.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Dave,
That was so great, and you did it the hard way, soft breaking and working the stack!
Very happy for you! A magnificent effort that paid off. Congratulations! Whitey
Thanks again, Whitey. It was kinda surreal, but once I had 44 after 4 racks and didn't scratch or get locked up after the 5th break, I knew I had my 45 and the pressure was off. What a relief

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
T
Great achievement dave....👍
Congratulations
Now you have to give up more weight...:eek::LOL:
Thanks, Larry. I knew I would have to fade the 'weight' comments and almost didn't post it, but it was too cool not to. Again, after a bazillion tries...😂😲

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Sorry, I'm not familiar with Joe's corner pocket drills, but it sounds like you were killing it -awesome.

I want to thank you for putting 45 in my head and giving me the confidence to try to reach that goal.

Dr. Dave posted a challenge to run your age in straight pool so I've been trying that; reaching 59 and freezing up against a ball was my highest so far. Maybe that had something to do with my 55?

Peace.
I never meant to give the impression I was a great player. That was a once in a lifetime day, my best day after day level was probably mid to high B player in the mid nineties. But on that day, all the stars aligned and I made almost everything I shot at. I guess thats what kept me laying the game , every great once in a while , I would let go of everything in my mind and just play, and when that happened, it seemed like the pockets were as big as bushel baskets and I could see paint imperfections on a brand new set of Aramith balls from 9 feet away What a feeling!

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
I never meant to give the impression I was a great player. That was a once in a lifetime day, my best day after day level was probably mid to high B player in the mid nineties. But on that day, all the stars aligned and I made almost everything I shot at. I guess thats what kept me laying the game , every great once in a while , I would let go of everything in my mind and just play, and when that happened, it seemed like the pockets were as big as bushel baskets and I could see paint imperfections on a brand new set of Aramith balls from 9 feet away What a feeling!
Understood, that's what happened to me during the 55. Just one of those things.

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
https://photos.app.goo.gl/DHdVQHbp1YXfcBRa6 1/5 th. of the way to 50, lol! I'd just embarrass myself if I continued, plus I would of ruin this rack which was decent.
After the holidays, I might get in stroke, and bust out a 5 rack video, but this is all for now!
Little by little I am getting better at the bridge, lol! Whitey
That was a fun rack to watch, you did a lot of good stuff. I especially liked the draw back squeezing on top of the 5 ball. You need a smaller table LOL.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
That was a fun rack to watch, you did a lot of good stuff. I especially liked the draw back squeezing on top of the 5 ball. You need a smaller table LOL.
I've lost so many open table runs because of the bridge, so that shot was in part why I posted this video. I knew I really had to stroke it. It is kind of one those wow shots.
This game has greatly improved my combinations, among other aspects of play. I play in bcapl regional tournament on 7' tables and combinations come up more frequently than on my table, so I have really sucked at them, and really had a hard time practicing them. But, with this game they come up quite a bit, and it is so nice being authentic vs. intentionally setting up combos to practice them.

I am glad I at least hit part of the pocket on that 6 ball that I missed.
Now to put 5 - 10's together, I think it will come when I get back into it.
thanks, Whitey

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
I just watched Josh Filler play this game on the other thread, and in the end the game ate him up alive. It is brutal, even for this world champion.
What was alarming was the rules they were playing by, for it was as if they were making them up as they went. Ben the guy that made the sweaters bet to make it interesting obviously did not know the rules of the game either, or he was very forgiving to just play along and have a good time.
This how it went:
You get to break and then get ball in hand, ok, but you do not have to declare your pocket ahead of time, What! So when the break favored one pocket then that was what was shot at. Then after that was ridiculously easy they changed the bet to calling the pocket before the break.
Next a scratch and I suppose any foul is not a loss of a point. What Again!
Next he made a neutral pocketed ball during his rack, and then Filler got stuck without a shot, and then randomly spotted that ball so he could do a bank. Wow! Another time he made a neutral ball during the break and he spotted it up right away, which is opposite of us, where we spot it at the end.

I feel this thread is just half complete for we have not finalized the rules of the game, which became a goal of this thread, and if this above all over the place performance does not clearly bring it home that OP.org needs to really take this to heart and establish the rules for this game, I do not know what does.
I know, there place their rules, but really, well at least we should give them a good idea where to start.

Other than that this has been the greatest of threads, thanks guys for making it happen!
Happy Holidays! Whitey

Last edited: