5 rack game?

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
thanks for video some really good out comes . Same bit I get with one of my breaks where potentially you get tripled up but than seems like you just need to make one good shot to get into the rack

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Thanks, Catkins and Dave,
I mistakenly doubled up on the center ball break video, and accidently left out this video.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/vtySw2KeDBcEScBw5 jump ahead about 40 secs to eliminate the racking process.

I am going to revisit this break and try to hold the cb in keeping it more center table as we witness in the final break. But, I think this is a good plan going forward to see just how realistic a break is, and if it is then work on mastering it just as you would in any game.

I am not aiming at the head ball but a spot within the rack. This way I have an aiming point and can slightly adjust it. What I am finding out that these head ball breaks create quite a collision with a full impact upon the rack, which in turn makes for a demanding control of the cb. Whitey

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
that is similar to the break I use I aim at the back row and the second to last ball towards opponents pocket if that makes sense and us a firm center spin right spin in your case. great breaks though your getting a really nice fan of the balls

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
that is similar to the break I use I aim at the back row and the second to last ball towards opponents pocket if that makes sense and us a firm center spin right spin in your case. great breaks though your getting a really nice fan of the balls
Yes that makes perfect sense! I use the valley created between the head ball and the ball behind it to the my left. My aim would be to the right of this point slightly with the center of the cue. If I am breaking on a line from the 1st diamond head rail then my aim would be almost direct at this valley.

I started using the 8 for the head ball and the 13 for the 2nd ball for the brightness of the color so the valley pops out better.

The distance to the head ball is different on my table so I do not think I can use the stroke you use. But I'll try it!
I am elevating the cue and using wrist to try and park the cb out front of the stack. Elevating the cue makes it harder to be more accurate, so therefore I am trying to break softer to gain control and still get some spread.

Shooting straighter upon the rack as in this video, is more in line with the break I used 50 yrs. ago accept then I crossed over the head ball instead of trying to keep it on the same side.
Whitey

Last edited:

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
had a bit of a day off yesterday ass the sf bay area was pitch black from smoke at 11 am so made this not great but I am starting to see my mistakes so hoping to fix them

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Catkins,
Just watched your video, it does not get much better than that. Your patterns are excellent, breaks are to die for, just as you state; "shore up a few things".
I can not get that much spread hitting the head ball that easy, and especially in using your stroke on the head ball break. I am really starting to realize I need to get a new set of balls. But I'll try your stroke on the break and see what happens.

I counted a 24 ball score. I think this is the best play I have seen from you, and that is because your patterns were excellent. I might of taken a different shot on the shot where you missed the ob going across the foot rail, just because of the cb control and cb being pretty close to your work. I might of taken the other ball and then worked back there in a couple of shots.

that was excellent, I am really seeing improvement!

It would be interesting to see what eagle eye Billy Jackets picks up in viewing this video. We have not heard from him in awhile. Whitey

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
had a bit of a day off yesterday ass the sf bay area was pitch black from smoke at 11 am so made this not great but I am starting to see my mistakes so hoping to fix them

Wow, you had 5 very good breaks, congrats. And that one drag/draw shot to get above the 13 ball was perfect to get on the other side of the balls down table. That was fun to watch, congrats!

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
What size is your table, Whitey? Nice break by the way.
Dave, it is a 5x10 and the pockets are approx 4-1/2" w/ a very deep shelf. The rails of course are not as lively as they once were but you still have to hit the pocket pretty good. Especially with speed. With speed I have absolutely hit the pocket and still it rattles, and that is because I just hit the jaw (not the point or even close) of the pocket off by about 1/8". It still does not except the balls nearly as easily as 4-1/2 x 9 Diamond.

But, on the break shot of Catkins where as he is stroking the cb softly with what appears to be below center, I just do not think on my table that will work for the spin just might come off to much before it reaches the head ball. He is getting such good breaks, I am sure going to try it.
thanks, Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Whitey, I had no idea that your table was a 5x10. Makes all those shots you've made for us even more impressive. STUD!

I'm thinking of diamondizing my table with 4 1/4" pockets, but once things get back to normal I'll go back to not using it. Tough decision.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
Whitey, I had no idea that your table was a 5x10. Makes all those shots you've made for us even more impressive. STUD!

I'm thinking of diamondizing my table with 4 1/4" pockets, but once things get back to normal I'll go back to not using it. Tough decision.
When I first started playing on the 5x10 it was lightening speed, unbelievably fast, and wow you had to be so accurate in pocketing the balls because the cushions were so sensitive, you sure did not want to wipe your feet going into a pocket.

I think 4-1/4" pockets make it easier to take balls out of the opponent's pocket, of which I am not sure is good for OP or not, I do not have that much experience to make that call. On shots that are more straight away from the pocket it does make for more required precision, I do not believe it effects shots that are on a slight angle down the rail that much, they will still go from what I can tell from watching matches on line.

Where it would come in handy for your home table is when and if it happens that you play in a tournament or match on a table that has 4-1/4" pockets. Or, even playing on bigger pockets in tournaments, it would seem it would build confidence.

I think you will do good on any size pocket, for it appears you are pocketing balls quite well. I am sticking with 4-1/2" if I redo my rails with new cushions, but I will tighten up the side pockets a little. Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
When I first started playing on the 5x10 it was lightening speed, unbelievably fast, and wow you had to be so accurate in pocketing the balls because the cushions were so sensitive, you sure did not want to wipe your feet going into a pocket.

I think 4-1/4" pockets make it easier to take balls out of the opponent's pocket, of which I am not sure is good for OP or not, I do not have that much experience to make that call. On shots that are more straight away from the pocket it does make for more required precision, I do not believe it effects shots that are on a slight angle down the rail that much, they will still go from what I can tell from watching matches on line.

Where it would come in handy for your home table is when and if it happens that you play in a tournament or match on a table that has 4-1/4" pockets. Or, even playing on bigger pockets in tournaments, it would seem it would build confidence.

I think you will do good on any size pocket, for it appears you are pocketing balls quite well. I am sticking with 4-1/2" if I redo my rails with new cushions, but I will tighten up the side pockets a little. Whitey
All true, but my pockets are currently 4 3/4" so a little big. If they were 4 1/2" I wouldn't think of messing with them. Thanks.

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3GJU5htxBKw6vii48
Catkins I tried to emulate the stroke you use, and I believe I captured it. I did not think I could carry the draw affect that far to the head ball and still get the cb to react properly, plus still get the balls to open up some. But, it worked. I believe with new balls I would get a spread like you do.
Shooting more directly at the head ball works better for me in being able to control the cb.
Thanks, you have a great break going! Whitey

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
https://photos.app.goo.gl/crWwE1KTL2RHQhpE6 I had previously hit this break so beautiful I then tried to video it. It is similar to many 10 ball breaks whereas the cb bounces back and then go forward, except hit softer of course.
This is all I can offer up at the moment for time is not allowing me to work on doing a 5 rack video. Whitey
Thanks for the new break, Whitey.

I tried this break several times. The 1st 3 attempts the QB went forward and ran into the 2nd and third ball very early leaving me with no shot. Thinking I hit the head ball too full I cut it a little more away from my pocket, the QB ended up along the bottom short rail again with no shot. I did have some success after a few more attempts, but not consistently. What am I doing wrong?

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
For me the key is almost full center ball hit with a touch of low and a ton of English away from your pocket. I have been trying to play it like a 9 ball break where you hit the head ball rebound and stop if that makes sense