Old Friends from New Orleans

Stanton

moved from NOLA to Dallas 15 years ago... was wondering about Eddie Brown, a strong player then and Lil Sal, who was able to turn on, when needed... a smooth consistent game.
Just wondering how they and many others from the Sports Palace, Pickles and Buffalos May be doing.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I remember long ago Reed Pierce tried to give Eddie the 7 ball. Notice i said "Tried"
Heh, heh. Reed was a great player, but very erratic, and somewhat emotional. Eddie would have frustrated the hell out of Reed with his moving and sharking..😄 He loves the action though. Saw him battle with Lil John several times.

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
Heh, heh. Reed was a great player, but very erratic, and somewhat emotional. Eddie would have frustrated the hell out of Reed with his moving and sharking..😄 He loves the action though. Saw him battle with Lil John several times.
I walked in a little pool room in a little town in Ohio and there is Reed Pierce playing one of the locals , probably a strong B+ player .
I'm pretty sure the owner had called him to come, and we were talking later and he said someone had asked Reed where he was going before the trip and he told them .......... Ohio and they said "What are you going there for " he said "because they play me even!" lol In the same pool room I saw Mika Immonen Jeremy Jones and a dozen other champions , only a couple were ever recognized. Even though their pictures were in all the billiard magazines, I guess these guys were not big on reading.

Trebor

Verified Member
From
Action, USA

Yep, i always respected Lil John's heart. He's a lot of things but you can never call him a nit. He's got way more gamble than a lot of guys that shoot twice as straight as he does and he never has to have the nuts...

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Yep, i always respected Lil John's heart. He's a lot of things but you can never call him a nit. He's got way more gamble than a lot of guys that shoot twice as straight as he does and he never has to have the nuts...
He sure does, Trebor. I remember at Grady's Gulf Coast Classic in Gulfport in 2004 that Lil John was really barking at Marco Marquez. Marquez won the 1P. Buddy second, Mike Surber third. Anyway, John wanted 9-7 from Marquez, who wouldn't give it to him. Good thing, because I doubt that LJ could've gotten there with 9-7...:cautious:

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
He sure does, Trebor. I remember at Grady's Gulf Coast Classic in Gulfport in 2004 that Lil John was really barking at Marco Marquez. Marquez won the 1P. Buddy second, Mike Surber third. Anyway, John wanted 9-7 from Marquez, who wouldn't give it to him. Good thing, because I doubt that LJ could've gotten there with 9-7...:cautious:

Reminds me of a little story from the US Open in Kalamazoo. Marco Marquez was playing Cliff Joiner. Marco didn’t have a good break and he left Cliff an easy return or a super tough back cut. I was like OMG, Cliff’s going for the back cut and he’s going to push a ton of balls to Marco’s side. Sure enough Cliff missed the cut and sent a bunch of balls to Marco’s side. Marco was left with several easy shots, but he pushed the easy shot into the long cushion and Cliff pounded him pretty good.