hustlers jamboree

baby huey

Verified Member
I really wanted to attend in 1969 but I had no cash to fund the trip. Gas was 21 cents/gallon, motel 6 was $6/night and McDonalds had 10 cent burgers and I still couldn't make it. I did make it to the Stardust event as I punped up to $200. I was rolling in cash that year.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I really wanted to attend in 1969 but I had no cash to fund the trip. Gas was 21 cents/gallon, motel 6 was $6/night and McDonalds had 10 cent burgers and I still couldn't make it. I did make it to the Stardust event as I punped up to $200. I was rolling in cash that year.
Burgers were 15 cents in early sixties. And Whoppers w/o cheese were 29 cents in 65. 39 cents with cheese. :) Across the street they opened the first BK on Roosevelt Rd. in Glen Ellyn, and about 1/2 mile down the street other side they opened up our First Golden Arches, with fresh made french fries daily. Also down the street from MD was Tops Big Boy drive in, with thousand Island dressing on their Burgers, also at that time was Fresh Strawberry Whipped Cream Pie.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Burgers were 15 cents in early sixties. And Whoppers w/o cheese were 29 cents in 65. 39 cents with cheese. :) Across the street they opened the first BK on Roosevelt Rd. in Glen Ellyn, and about 1/2 mile down the street other side they opened up our First Golden Arches, with fresh made french fries daily. Also down the street from MD was Tops Big Boy drive in, with thousand Island dressing on their Burgers, also at that time was Fresh Strawberry Whipped Cream Pie.
I bused tables inside the restaurant at that Tops Big Boy in Glen Ellyn when I was 14, so around 1969 or 70.
Fun fact, although I first met Bill in Manitou Spgs, Co. Around 30 yrs ago, we also both grew up a town apart in Illinois. Him in Glen Ellyn, me next door in Wheaton. Our high schools were bitter rivals. Although we both played pool at Lord and Lady Cue in Wheaton, he is old and left for college a few years before I went in there.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I bused tables inside the restaurant at that Tops Big Boy in Glen Ellyn when I was 14, so around 1969 or 70.
Fun fact, although I first met Bill in Manitou Spgs, Co. Around 30 yrs ago, we also both grew up a town apart in Illinois. Him in Glen Ellyn, me next door in Wheaton. Our high schools were bitter rivals. Although we both played pool at Lord and Lady Cue in Wheaton, he is old and left for college a few years before I went in there.
Wheaton had Lord and Ladys billiard room, all Gold Crowns. At tops Big Boy Drive in, Fri. nights, drag racing action, this was back when you could buy Sonoco 106 octane. Cars would go out to Swift road and $bet$ it up. They always talked about the Green TR6 with a 289 ford engine that would burn Nitro on the weekends : ) Funny thing about where you lived Crabb, it was a dry town and the Beluschi Family moved in during my HS years with John and Jim of course.

Last edited:

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
Was this where John met Sister Mary Stigmata?
No clue most likely tho, when he attended a local community college after HS, where he took acting classes. To this day, I'm sure they still use his name as a past student, when recruiting. I had a friend Exactly like em that lived 3 miles from Wheaton, he even had his masters degree in Marketing, yet died at the age of 42 from drinking beer, only beer, but non stop and he never got drunk. His behavior was intoxicating. When he took vacations, he went tah different states and drank in bars with the locals....too him ''that was livin''. I remember once he came back, and all he could talk about were the tree trunk bar stools he sat on in the Carolinas :). He also played Great HS football. He didn't have a dad, but had a pool table in his basement. He looked 21 when he was 16, beard muscles 210 lbs etc, and charged us HS kids 25 cents for a bottle of beer and pool. He helped mom pay the mortgage by selling Alpine and Burgameister CHEAPEST beer alive. Back then about 2.39 tah $2.50 a case. Not bad profit making 3.50 a case selling to HS kids, he never got in trouble.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Wheaton had Lord and Ladys billiard room, all Gold Crowns. At tops Big Boy Drive in, Fri. nights, drag racing action, this was back when you could buy Sonoco 106 octane. Cars would go out to Swift road and $bet$ it up. They always talked about the Green TR6 with a 289 ford engine that would burn Nitro on the weekends : ) Funny thing about where you lived Crabb, it was a dry town and the Beluschi Family moved in during my HS years with John and Jim of course.
They lived right down the road from me. Jim dated my best friends sister so I saw him a bunch. Never met John, he was older than us.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
I lived on the north shore then but I had a church group girlfriend who lived in Glen Ellyn so I took the train there a few times and we hung out in GE and Lombard. Never played any pool out there. Sure seemed like the sticks to me. I suppose all the farms are gone by now.

Island Drive

Verified Member
From
florence, colorado
I lived on the north shore then but I had a church group girlfriend who lived in Glen Ellyn so I took the train there a few times and we hung out in GE and Lombard. Never played any pool out there. Sure seemed like the sticks to me. I suppose all the farms are gone by now.
If your remember Hestermans Bowling alley on Roosevelt Rd in Glen Ellyn, right next door was Swank. I think they had 18 GC I's. The place was owned by an airline pilot. The counter man Roy could play-40-50 ball runner 14.1. When Vietnam hit, one of the employees/not Roy got drafted. BUT.....before he got shipped off he got drunk, came into the pool room. (we had candy/cues/snacks only) The got on the top of the tables, and jumped from one slate bed to the other, by the time he got going, he slipped/ripped/pulled the cloth back like a bedcloth. Also remember in the early sixties, seeing Gordon Hart/Viking Cues come into our room for the first time. He Always dressed sharp in a suit. When he came out with the Super Joint, wow as a kid. And if your from the N. Side. Russel's barbecue..................thee best beef sandwich/barbecue sauce. I'm pretty sure it's still open, just east of the race track off of N. Avenue. My parents used to date there. They had thee best daily, home made Apple pie.....but they never could make a profit on it (employees would sneak/eat it LOL) they stopped making it.