Golf?

LuckyLeon

Verified Member
From
cabool,mo.
The owner of this small town pool room in southern missouri , brought ,what I call a form of golf, from california, a game called Stymie. I didn't care for it much but I played. When it was your turn you played out of the D and counted your strokes. You had 5 strokes to make your pocket. If you didn,t you got 5 hickys and you were still going for that pocket your next turn. And in this game you had to hit a rail after contact. The first time I played I got straight in on the out hole and fired it in. The owner just roared and said"foul". I had stopped the cueball ! Slow learner I guess! LOL!

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
They never liked Bill too much in the golf game either... Pinkies also didn't have house cues on the walls. Bob had a bunch of pink cues made by Mcdermott or Meucci and you had to rent one if you didn't bring your own. They franchised it at one point after that and i think their Las Vegas location had like 70 tables...

Dennis "Whitey" Young

Verified Member
From
Klamath Falls, Or.
John H,
So by your comments that you like playing where you have to make a legal hit. That means when I stated; " I believe we did not have to make a rail, but of course you played to hit the ball".

So my way (no rail required) was played in some places? thanks!

Also at the Bellflower Palace, I never really seen any Golf played in there. I played there from '70 - '73. I seen one match up once, and I played Heart Attack, but either than that not once. Pay pool always! Unless, they played during the mid day, for I mainly went in there after 11 pm. Whitey

Last edited:

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
John H,
So by your comments that you like playing where you have to make a legal hit. That means when I stated; " I believe we did not have to make a rail, but of course you played to hit the ball".

So my way (no rail required) was played in some places? thanks!

Also at the Bellflower Palace, I never really seen any Golf played in there. I played there from '70 - '73. I seen one match up once, and I played Heart Attack, but either than that not once. Pay pool always! Unless, they played during the mid day, for I mainly went in there after 11 pm. Whitey

Yes, there were games where you did not have to hit a rail or even shoot at your ball. You could shoot away and take a hickey. Heart Attack Jack did not play in bigger games that started at $20/2. Most of the pay ball was played on the 5 x 10 out front. The 6 x 12 was in the back room and we had 5 or 6 regular players and we alternated between liability snooker for $3/5 a point and golf. When Butch and his dad sold the room to Jim Morgan, he moved it down the street a couple blocks very close to where Hard Times is now, and the same games continued there. This was in the early 80’s.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
john
do you know if jim morgan ever go by jim "the harvard kid"
i was in college when i met a road player by that nickname said his real name was earl morgan
never could find anything about that guy
he hustled me (thats a good story)
showed me what playing on the lemon meant
how he made all those "lucky "shots and why i never seemed to have a shot
took me to the sports palace and introduced me to onepocket
saw him for one week and never heard about him again

sorackem

Well-Known-Member
Well, ..spill it wont ya?
I've heard of 'getting your lemon squeezed', but never heard the term 'playing on the lemon'.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
john
do you know if jim morgan ever go by jim "the harvard kid"
i was in college when i met a road player by that nickname said his real name was earl morgan
never could find anything about that guy
how he made all those "lucky "shots and why i never seemed to have a shot
took me to the sports palace and introduced me to onepocket
saw him for one week and never heard about him again

No, Jim drove an Arco gas truck for years, and retired and bought the pool tables from the Billiard Palace when they closed down. He did not play anything but golf and a little liability snooker.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
They play that way in Canada Doc. Two or three red balls to get in the way and play safe behind. They need to slow it down up there. The tables are soft and those guys shoot way too straight.
They really do. We toured in western Canada in the late '60s. I'd been playing a lot of snooker in L.A. on the 5 x 10s, and felt I had a decent game. But when I matched up with some guy in Calgary, it was on a 6 x 12 which looked like a football field to me. I figured that it would be even easier to play safe by just leaving long straight ins. Nope. Those guys popped those puppies in like it was a 9-footer!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
I have a little hardcover book of the Official Rules of Golf. It is dated 1980 and appears to be based on how the game was played at that time in Florida. It has about 10 pages just of definitions of Golf terms! It includes about 80 numbered rules -- apparently every time something new came up that did not have a rule that covered it, they wrote an additional rule :) It also includes a version of Golf where each player has two balls, not one.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
I have a little hardcover book of the Official Rules of Golf. It is dated 1980 and appears to be based on how the game was played at that time in Florida. It has about 10 pages just of definitions of Golf terms! It includes about 80 numbered rules -- apparently every time something new came up that did not have a rule that covered it, they wrote an additional rule :) It also includes a version of Golf where each player has two balls, not one.

Two balls each was fairly popular In some areas. Frank Torres, the three cushion champion, was unbeatable at it in North Hollywood at a room he managed. They would play with one ball each in ring games, but heads up often was with two balls there. I heard that they played that way in Florida on a very tight 6 x 12 at Congress Bowl. I played it in Santa Monica and you had to get your 2nd ball past the three hole before you could make the 6 hole.

LuckyLeon

Verified Member
From
cabool,mo.
Man alive! I had enough trouble with 1 ball! I wonder what the strategy was like with 2 balls? Did you pick which ball to shoot when it came your turn?

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Man alive! I had enough trouble with 1 ball! I wonder what the strategy was like with 2 balls? Did you pick which ball to shoot when it came your turn?
According to this rule book, when it was your turn to shoot, you could shoot at whichever of your two balls you chose to.

LuckyLeon

Verified Member
From
cabool,mo.
Thanks,Steve! What a great story! Did anyone else feel reminded of Mark Twain while reading
this Kenneth R. LeBar fellows writing? I personally thought it was great.