First Shot in One Ball One Pocket?

Hard Times Carla

Verified Member
I know you freeze the ball to center of the foot rail, and you can't try to cut it in. But what is the best opening shot? Trying out new games being stuck in house with only one opponent. Lucky to have a table and an opponent.
I have seen the game played, but never paid enough attention.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
It's a great game that will help you learn how to play and win the ultimate end game. The way we play it is that the cue ball starts frozen to the center of the top rail, so the "break" is almost a disadvantage. There are lots of ways to screw up the break. To survive, I use a tip of inside and aim just off the edge of the object ball to avoid the double kiss and try to bank it as close to the side pocket as possible.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
Sorry to skip that part. Either way, unless you get it close to the side pocket, your opponent will have some kind of shot, so I prefer to put it on my side, near but short of the side pocket. If I come up short, or long, she'll have a two railer, but it will be a tough shot. If I put it on the other side, she'd have an easier three railer, imo. If you play a session for an hour or two, you'll have plenty of opportunity to try both sides and see how it goes. Have fun.

Do you want it to go toward the side pocket on your side?

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
I was playing one handed one ball one pocket one time and I was banking the ball to his side and I missed so bad I made it in his pocket. That is not the recommended shot

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I know you freeze the ball to center of the foot rail, and you can't try to cut it in. But what is the best opening shot? Trying out new games being stuck in house with only one opponent. Lucky to have a table and an opponent.
I have seen the game played, but never paid enough attention.
Carla, I've never played 1 ball one-pocket as a game. But I've seen it played several times, notably between Cardone and SVB. I believe they stipulated that the first shot (break shot) had to be a safety. Maybe Bill I. will chip in here.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
i like to "break" where the the object ball is alittle above the cue ball
ie object ball about 2-3 diamonds above your pocket and the cue ball a diamond or so below the object ball
ie i want him to have a severe back cut bank that if he goes for it the cue ball is loose and will leave me a bank if he misses
my other break is to leave it close to the corner pocket on my side where he cant 2 rail it to his hole off of the side rail
or the 1 railer is a tough cut or scratch

Last edited:

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Carla, I've never played 1 ball one-pocket as a game. But I've seen it played several times, notably between Cardone and SVB. I believe they stipulated that the first shot (break shot) had to be a safety. Maybe Bill I. will chip in here.
Yes, all the ways I have ever seen it played require the first shot to be a safety.

It's an old variation of One Pocket. I believe both Weenie Beenie and Squirrel described it being played at JC and other early spots. One of them told me they started with the ball just a few inches out of the opponent's pocket and the "breaker" kicked or knocked it away as their opening shot. But always a safety for sure.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
That’s very interesting Steve
I have never seen it started without the first ball frozen to the middle diamond on the foot rail

Last edited:

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
The only variation I've seen is that the breaker has ball in hand behind the line but has to shoot a safety. The reason for this variation is that it is pretty easy to sell out on the break if you have to hit the cue ball off the rail, even when you shoot two handed, so the variation creates a more neutral opening shot and leads to fewer immediate losses for the breaker.

That’s very interesting Steve
I have never seen a started without the first bowl frozen to the middle diamond on the foot rail

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
cue ball behind the line in the kitchen and play a safety
yes thats how i was taught to start the game
no 4 railer or cut towards your pocket

Ratamon

Verified Member
From
London, UK
what happens if you scratch? Is this a loss of game?

I also like continuous one pocket (e.g. a race to 50 balls), with alternate breaks. Each game ends when all 15 balls are pocketed. You are able to practice all aspects of the game that way

Last edited:

johnnytronic

Verified Member
Certain tables, (not so much a diamond) you would be surprised how often you can accidentally make it in the side.
My buddy who shoots a lot worse than I do was beating me at this game by trying to cut the ball towards his pocket and getting it hung in the jaws more often than not. We play if you make it on the first shot you lose, if you scratch you lose
In Serbia they really do not play one pocket at all. They do play 1ball one pocket and they play diagonal corners. Which IMO is a bit goofy because it doesn't teach you the end game of one pocket.

beatle

Verified Member
yes play it just like it was the last ball on the table in a real game.

usually i played it with a kick allowed. ball in hand. thats how i made a big score off the best player in the world. i let him kick at it and took 5 pockets to 1. he mostly only won games where i gave them to him. and never drew my cueball for any reason.