Most awe inspiring match of one pocket you ever witnessed

jd67

A little bored at home so I'm hunting stories.
I'm a newcomer to the game of one pocket so I don't have any stories myself. The other day I was watching a video in which Nick Varner ran an 8 and out. I realize that an 8 and out is not unusual for good players but it got me thinking. What is the most outrageous display of one pocket you ever witnessed? It can be a match you participated in or just sweated.
Thanks

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I was watching it and recognized Joey's voice but couldn't think of the other until I heard him say Jeremy, then I knew it was JJ....good commentary here so far ~

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
alex the lion came to my home town and played my house pro 12/7..11/7
it was amazing to watch alex run 10's /11/or 12
the way he could MANUFACTURE runs by picking off balls in the stack to keep runs going was very impressive
this not an exaggeration
it took 3 HOURS before alex missed a ball he was trying to make......:eek::eek::eek:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
you know, this thread reminds me of an idea I had a while back. What if we had a sticky thread with good matches and links to the videos? Obviously this only works for free videos and ones that are still up on YouTube, Ustream, FB or any other platform. I feel like I have seen a lot of them but to have them all in one place might be a pretty good resource. What do you think @NH Steve ?

I am pretty sure @Miller has a lot of them already saved because he posted a lot of them in a thread at one point, lol....

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Rafael Martinez and Sylver Ochoa at CA Billiards a few years back. Rafael got out of 5/6 serious traps with masses, kicks and scratches, then took a 6 to 0 lead and ultimately lost the game.

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
This might be the one, with commentary from Tres Kane. Audio is a little laggy...might be better to watch without the audio on.

Rafael Martinez and Sylver Ochoa at CA Billiards a few years back. Rafael got out of 5/6 serious traps with masses, kicks and scratches, then took a 6 to 0 lead and ultimately lost the game.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
you know, this thread reminds me of an idea I had a while back. What if we had a sticky thread with good matches and links to the videos? Obviously this only works for free videos and ones that are still up on YouTube, Ustream, FB or any other platform. I feel like I have seen a lot of them but to have them all in one place might be a pretty good resource. What do you think @NH Steve ?

I am pretty sure @Miller has a lot of them already saved because he posted a lot of them in a thread at one point, lol....
I would be in favor of it, but might want to place it in the member cafe to avoid adding more sticky threads in the main forum.

vapros

Verified Member
From
baton rouge, la
A very interesting match, for sure. Martinez should have been called for his shot that blew five pins out of Ochoa's corner. He acknowledged the foul, but he had to know he was going to hit the cue ball more than once. Not a legitimate intentional foul, by any means.

Does anyone see him any more?

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
John henderson vrs joey barnes at california billiards. did not end till 6:30 am and john looked more awake than any of the rest of us and got out of everything joey could throw at him

Tobermory

Verified Member
From
San Francisco, CA
You were more of a die hard trooper than I was that night, Chris, but I did witness John's truly inspirational victory in their semi final first match with John coming out of the loser side to grind out one of the great all time matches that I've seen. There's no doubt that Joey is a fantastic player, but John played smart defense, came up with lots of creative moves with tight cue ball control and he didn't miss as much as usual ;). I left about 2am and there were maybe a dozen others who stuck it out with you. Kudos to Chris Swarz for letting them keep playing past closing time.

John henderson vrs joey barnes at california billiards. did not end till 6:30 am and john looked more awake than any of the rest of us and got out of everything joey could throw at him

Billy Jackets

Verified Member
A little bored at home so I'm hunting stories.
I'm a newcomer to the game of one pocket so I don't have any stories myself. The other day I was watching a video in which Nick Varner ran an 8 and out. I realize that an 8 and out is not unusual for good players but it got me thinking. What is the most outrageous display of one pocket you ever witnessed? It can be a match you participated in or just sweated.
Thanks
AS far as awe inspiring , Efren Reyes vs Jason Miller One Pocket final at DCC.
Efren beat him 24 to minus 2, I think. I'm from Ohio and have met Jason so I felt bad for him, but hey , Efren made everybody look goofy at some point.
I know Jason is not known to be an elite one pocket player but he has been bank Champion 2 or 3 times, and had beaten everyone else in the world to get to play Efren.
The next best, I was playing a guy named Leo in Ohio and I ran 7 balls and hung my eighth one in the pocket.
He has zero balls , the balls are all over the table , a few on my long rail and a couple on his side, and I leave him a really tough bank.
He makes it, makes another ball or 2 and then freezes me behind a ball . I leave another almost impossible bank and he makes that , cuts a ball in from outer space and plays a dead nut safe again. He finally gets to where he can pocket my ball and scratch.
I get my winning ball in front of my hole about 4 or 5 times in the next half hour of safeties which he keeps taking out and he finally makes the third nearly impossible bank of the game and gets position and makes the last ball.
I was mentally physically and emotionally about as exhausted as I had ever been. The game lasted over 2 hours.
Lots of great safes,shots and takeouts by both of us .
I couldn't be angry , he was a perfect gentleman to play with always, and had the heart of a lion.
As he got older his game fell off a bit and some of the new guys would doubt he ever played well , I made sure I told them this story. I wish I could remember his last name , not even sure I knew it though. RIP, Leo my friend.

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
AS far as awe inspiring , Efren Reyes vs Jason Miller One Pocket final at DCC.
Efren beat him 24 to minus 2, I think. I'm from Ohio and have met Jason so I felt bad for him, but hey , Efren made everybody look goofy at some point.
I know Jason is not known to be an elite one pocket player but he has been bank Champion 2 or 3 times, and had beaten everyone else in the world to get to play Efren.
The next best, I was playing a guy named Leo in Ohio and I ran 7 balls and hung my eighth one in the pocket.
He has zero balls , the balls are all over the table , a few on my long rail and a couple on his side, and I leave him a really tough bank.
He makes it, makes another ball or 2 and then freezes me behind a ball . I leave another almost impossible bank and he makes that , cuts a ball in from outer space and plays a dead nut safe again. He finally gets to where he can pocket my ball and scratch.
I get my winning ball in front of my hole about 4 or 5 times in the next half hour of safeties which he keeps taking out and he finally makes the third nearly impossible bank of the game and gets position and makes the last ball.
I was mentally physically and emotionally about as exhausted as I had ever been. The game lasted over 2 hours.
Lots of great safes,shots and takeouts by both of us .
I couldn't be angry , he was a perfect gentleman to play with always, and had the heart of a lion.
As he got older his game fell off a bit and some of the new guys would doubt he ever played well , I made sure I told them this story. I wish I could remember his last name , not even sure I knew it though. RIP, Leo my friend.

Man, at one point he played EVERYTHING top notch. Well at least 9b, 8b, banks and one hole that I know of...

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Jason played pretty sporty one handed too. Won one of the one handed tournaments Greg used to put on at Derby City. I know because I was one of his victims.