Derby city

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
The way I read the 1P list is that Justin Hall and Roberto Gomez have no losses, whereas Billy Thorpe, Robert Frost, Omar Al Shaheen, Chris Melling, Joshua Filler, and Jesus Atencio all have one loss. All the marquee names are out, so we may be seeing a gradual shift in the top echelon.

Ghost hipped us to Atencio, but I don't know much about Filler, Melling, or even R. Frost either.

Like to see Justin Hall win it. He's been banging around the top for a number years now. Maybe this will be his year. He's won at Tunica, but not the DCC.

I see that Billy Thorpe has got a great chance at "Master of the Table". If he does well in the 9-ball he should get it. I wonder if anyone has ever gotten the MOT without winning either of the 3 events?

~Doc

Yea, I was just going to say, it seems like the shift is happening that we have been talking about...

The best players today are not necessarily one pocket players or have a lot of knowledge / moves but what they for sure are is:

GREAT BALL STRIKERS!!

sad but true, I was really hoping that strategy would prevail but it's not looking quite that way :)

stevelomako

Verified Member
From
Detroit, MI
Looks like Robert “The Poet” Frost has the 10th round bye.

4 matches in round 10 and 2 players out for sure.

Round 11 will be 5, 6 or 7 players left.

Billy Thorpedo is in charge of his own destiny so far. Everyone around him in the banks is/has been out of the one pocket for at least a couple of rounds.

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
Robert has been grinding for years around the midwest playing one pocket and by the rail bank. He used to drive truck and stop and play tournaments along the way. His dad is a beekeeper who lives in Kentucky. Hes always in action and from what I've seen he has been taking down his share lately. Him and Lil John walked up to me and Mitch Saturday wanting our usual table for a big set and while Mitch was talking I heard Robert say, those are the one pocket guys, they arent giving up that table...lol
Very surprised he knocked Sky out.... Skys head must be on Ashley and the baby that's on the way. She just got back here. I was talking to him there Saturday and he really didnt seem up like he usually does..

Last edited:

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Robert has been grinding for years around the midwest playing one pocket and by the rail bank. He used to drive truck and stop and play tournaments along the way. His dad is a beekeeper who lives in Kentucky. Hes always in action and from what I've seen he has been taking down his share lately. Him and Lil John walked up to me and Mitch Saturday wanting our usual table for a big set and while Mitch was talking I heard Robert say, those are the one pocket guys, they arent giving up that table...lol
Very surprised he knocked Sky out.... Skys head must be on Ashley and the baby that's on the way. She just got back here. I was talking to him there Saturday and he really didnt seem up like he usually does..
Robert can play some one hole for sure. He is one of the better players that plays up at Michael's that I can think of.

unoperro

Verified Member
The way I read the 1P list is that Justin Hall and Roberto Gomez have no losses, whereas Billy Thorpe, Robert Frost, Omar Al Shaheen, Chris Melling, Joshua Filler, and Jesus Atencio all have one loss. All the marquee names are out, so we may be seeing a gradual shift in the top echelon.

Ghost hipped us to Atencio, but I don't know much about Filler, Melling, or even R. Frost either.

Like to see Justin Hall win it. He's been banging around the top for a number years now. Maybe this will be his year. He's won at Tunica, but not the DCC.

I see that Billy Thorpe has got a great chance at "Master of the Table". If he does well in the 9-ball he should get it. I wonder if anyone has ever gotten the MOT without winning either of the 3 events?

~Doc

Come on guys, someone is doing well in a race to 3 format,and we have a shifting of the echelon?

catkins

Verified Member
From
boulder creek ca
thorpe beats atencio

gomez beats shaw

melling and bergman playing

robert frost got buy

hall beat filler

hall and gomez still have an extra life

Bmoretallpaul

Verified Member
Just returned home from derby city. I met up with some friends that I made from last year's mot. Met some new onepocket.org friends at derby. I had a great time. Made it into the fifth round where I lost to James Aranas. Lost to Chip Compton earlier. Overall, I was pleased with my performance and look forward to the next one.

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I see in round 12 that Hall is still undefeated, and he will play Thorpe (1 loss) at 7 P.M.
Gomez and Filler, each with a loss, play each other at 7:00 as well.

Presumably the finals will be at 9:00. I expect that if Hall gets by Thorpe, he'd be your winner. Never can tell though...

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Wow, that was fast. Hall defeated Gomez 3-0 in no time at all. J-Hall is playing with great confidence, especially his banking. o_O

The finals between Hall and Thorpe should be very entertaining to say the least.

Last edited:

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Actually Dave it would have made it 1-1. Instead it was 2-0 and Robert broke and won the last game quickly. Huge swing!
I'm old, what can I say. It was still stranger than hell since he played position for the correct pocket, unfortunately he hit the first one in the wrong pocket. LOL (I've done it myself)

12squared

Verified Member
From
Fort Collins, CO
Oh by the way, Billy Thorpe won it this year. Justin broke, Billy made crossover bank also getting a slight kiss and running 8 and out.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Frost I would say is a very experienced One Pocket player, and plays very sound on his own "dime".

Melling is one of the English pros, shoots straighter than hell and runs hundreds. Loads of fire power and creative too, but very little experience with One Pocket. If he were to hang around a One Pocket room for a while, look out!