Handicap 1P Tourney at Michael's this weekend!

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
I just found out about it myself the other day and was able to get on the list. For those of you who use FB, I know they were taking sign ups that way too. It's ran by Dee Adkins and you are assigned a number handicap and whatever that number is, that's the balls you have to make each game to win.

For example, last time I played (maybe 3 or 4 years ago), I was assigned as a 7. So my first match I played someone who was a 5 and had to spot them 7-5...I lost (the guy I played plays a little better than I do even lol...which is the one big complaint about these..is how to make the handicaps fair.) It doesn't bother me too much because I don't expect to win but love to play....then my next match in the losers bracket I had to play Dee who was a 15, so he beat me 15-7 and I was out.

They may put me at a 6 this time who knows, lol..I will play whatever they give me!

I will try to post a bracket if I get to see it and take some pics ~

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I just found out about it myself the other day and was able to get on the list. For those of you who use FB, I know they were taking sign ups that way too. It's ran by Dee Adkins and you are assigned a number handicap and whatever that number is, that's the balls you have to make each game to win.

For example, last time I played (maybe 3 or 4 years ago), I was assigned as a 7. So my first match I played someone who was a 5 and had to spot them 7-5...I lost (the guy I played plays a little better than I do even lol...which is the one big complaint about these..is how to make the handicaps fair.) It doesn't bother me too much because I don't expect to win but love to play....then my next match in the losers bracket I had to play Dee who was a 15, so he beat me 15-7 and I was out.
Heh. That's a strange handicapping system. It certainly ensures some short games. I used to like establishing 3 or 4 spots, then assigning each player the closest to his speed. So all the games were fairly regulation in length.

Still, it's nice y'all have a 1P event to play..:D

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Heh. That's a strange handicapping system. It certainly ensures some short games. I used to like establishing 3 or 4 spots, then assigning each player the closest to his speed. So all the games were fairly regulation in length.

Still, it's nice y'all have a 1P event to play..:D

I agree Doc, it was weird for me as well, lol!

I like your idea better personally but Dee has been running these at Michaels periodically for years and they all get a pretty big turnout and of course having a bunch of one hole players in the same room should stir up some action, we will see... :)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Here is the handicap system they use

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
Steamed here for anyone interested
That's not a bad system, but geez, I'd hate to have had to manufacture that one! Lots of calculating. Then there is too much room for griping: "Hey, you have me as a 7, but I should be a 6!", and so forth. But, nothing succeeds like success..:)

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
Lost hill hill my first match vs louie DeMarco he had to play me 10 6 good match...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

cincy_kid

Verified Member
From
Cincinnati, OH
And then I lose my match in the loser's bracket to HOF'er Greg Sullivan ~

I had to spot him 7/5 and we had some good games but he out played me!

Was a great time though and glad I was able to play some with one of our hall of famers ~

What a super nice guy!

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
And then I lose my match in the loser's bracket to HOF'er Greg Sullivan ~

I had to spot him 7/5 and we had some good games but he out played me!

Was a great time though and glad I was able to play some with one of our hall of famers ~

What a super nice guy!

That?s awesome Chris. Worth going for sure!