Onepocket.org only tourney

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Just trying to help out Doc... LSJohn... Hope you don't take it as meddling, even though that's zactly what I'm doing...:rolleyes::):):D

Heh, "meddling". All help (even thoughts) appreciated here. BTW, I'm in for anywhere within 10 hours drive of Little Rock, KC or Shreveport (and I drive about 95 MPH on my way to anything 1P) :D

I see Jesse Bowman is signed up for Big Dog. That means he's getting into 1P again which means that Des Moines is probably doable if it needs to be one of the choices.

The thoughts about not conflicting with Labor Day were "good catch." I hadn't thought about that.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
I just returned from Rowley's tournament in Memphis (actually Southaven Mississippi.) It would be hard to explain why I haven't yet asked Bill about a 1P org tournament (Todd will) but I am very confident in saying that Bill will let us do whatever we want to do and will make room for whatever dates we choose. I'd be shocked if the first statement were not true, and very surprised if the second were not. Bill is a terrific guy and loves 1P as much as we do. I think he can easily set it up so that we have at least 6 Gold Crowns.

BTW, beer but nothing hard, and NO SMOKING. He also owns the building immediately next door and there (I'm pretty sure) is a good place for us to hold players' meeting and have some kind of buffet catered. Not a convenient place for us to gather in the pool room itself, and most viewing of the matches would be from 10 to 50 feet away. He has a dedicated stream on one GC that is designated as 1P only year-round, and a snooker table in a good place for it to be covered and used for whatever. 4 TVs, one of which can be used for viewing live matches on Table #1.

All this needs to be verified, but I'm pretty confident in all of it. There's a Days Inn about 3 blocks away that is better than the average Days Inn I've stayed in, and about $65/day + tax. Smoking rooms there are scarce, but a few are available.

BTW, in the tournament, I kicked ass against the one guy I have the nutz on.... me! :frus

Cory in dc

Verified Member
If I can recap, we're down to Memphis or New Orleans and both look to be strong options? Going to either one would be easy for me, as long as work timing is ok.

Cory

baby huey

Verified Member
Our group has come up with some very good ideas about staging this event. I think that we should try to find a location more central to the country so that travel wouldn't be so onerous. Houston was very centrally located such that it meant that the plane fare and travel time wasn't too bad for any of us. Also, I think that an entry fee of $100 is too small to attract a quality field and that it should be at least $250. Added money isn't necessary but table time (green fee's) should be kept to perhaps $25 so that the tournament director or house gets something back for accommodating us. I also think that we should not have more than 24 players and that 16 players is OK too. I also think it needs to be double elimination either 4 and 3 or 3 and 3. This would allow for more value to playing. I would not stage it on a major holiday weekend. Lastly, how we determine eligibility is important. I saw a thread where to qualify you have to have at least 10 posts in a years time which seems fair to all.

jrhendy

Verified Member
From
Placerville, CA
Our group has come up with some very good ideas about staging this event. I think that we should try to find a location more central to the country so that travel wouldn't be so onerous. Houston was very centrally located such that it meant that the plane fare and travel time wasn't too bad for any of us. Also, I think that an entry fee of $100 is too small to attract a quality field and that it should be at least $250. Added money isn't necessary but table time (green fee's) should be kept to perhaps $25 so that the tournament director or house gets something back for accommodating us. I also think that we should not have more than 24 players and that 16 players is OK too. I also think it needs to be double elimination either 4 and 3 or 3 and 3. This would allow for more value to playing. I would not stage it on a major holiday weekend. Lastly, how we determine eligibility is important. I saw a thread where to qualify you have to have at least 10 posts in a years time which seems fair to all.

Both tournaments at Bogies worked out well and we can use that as a model. I think $200 entry fee and $25 green fees would work and I am sure Bogies would love to host it. I don't think we can ask for added $$ from them since they are already adding 2k to each senior tournament.

Tennessee or New Orleans would work too. I would think we could garner up some added money from some sponsors wherever we have it, and I would be willing to try and raise some once we get the rest of it figured out.

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri

I have more than personal motivation to disagree with attempting to organize a "quality field." My view of this tournament is to include as many 1P org members as possible, with the primary purpose being social. That argues for lower entry rather than higher. I think added money is not important, and perhaps not even appropriate to ask for it given that it is to be a private tournament for our members only. I suspect that interest outside our group would not be high. If sponsors can be recruited, great, but I wouldn't ask a room owner to both contribute the tables and add money.

It may be worth something to check flight schedules and costs as they differ between Houston, New Orleans and Memphis. I have no preference between any of the possible Midwest or South-Central locations, but we have several members in Texas, several close to New Orleans and several near Memphis. Of those, I think the largest number is probably Texas, but that doesn't mean they're all very close.

Bogies has a lot of 1P tournaments each year, so scheduling conveniently for both us and them could be a problem. Lacy's has already agreed and I expect Rowsey/Memphis to verify very soon.

Of these three, only Bogies allows smoking.

My $.03. :)

gulfportdoc

Verified Member
From
Gulfport, Mississippi
I'm inclined to agree with John. The initial idea was chiefly for a social event, so the entry fees needn't be high. This would be in contrast to the SS or the Senior, which are nice money events.

I personally don't care what the entry fee is. But I'm wondering if the better players would consider it worthwhile to travel far, especially from the West Coast, if there's not enough money for them to possibly make expenses?

We seem to be scoping in on some venues, but we really don't know how many guys are interested enough to travel for the event, e.g. if it were held in the approximate center of the U.S., east to west.

At some point after we have a consensus on the locale, we'll have to get a polling of the potential participants. After all, it wouldn't be right to have a guy fly in from Seattle or Miami or New Hampshire, and then have only 8 players show up...:(

If it turns out that there's not enough interest in this event, guys could probably get a tournament reservation at the Louisville pool room during DCC time.

~Doc

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
Here's something to consider,
Either the tournament be a social event with a small entry fee attended by members, with a nice dinner celebration and some one pocket matches the next couple of days, or do like Steve suggested in the earlier part of this thread.

Have regional qualifier tournaments... North/South/East/West/Central... Each region send 3 players to whatever pool room is chosen plus one wild card nominee making a full 16 player bracket. All the entry fees collected at the regional events plus any contributions from members supporting their region goes into transportation and hotel bills for the 3 players being sent to represent their region.

Since there will be no added money for the kitty, a $200.00 entry fee would make a nice purse of $3200.00
Pay 4 spots... $1200/$900/$700/$400. Plus the bragging rights for a year...
PRICELESS!!!

Either way is ok with me...

The latter kind of defeats the original idea of a total member gathering, but it could work out.

Actually it could be done state by state and then we could have a big member tournament with one hell of a purse...

Nick B

Verified Member
From
Vancouver, Canada
Either the tournament be a social event with a small entry fee attended by members, with a nice dinner celebration and some one pocket matches the next couple of days, or do like Steve suggested in the earlier part of this thread.

Have regional qualifier tournaments... North/South/East/West/Central... Each region send 3 players to whatever pool room is chosen plus one wild card nominee making a full 16 player bracket. All the entry fees collected at the regional events plus any contributions from members supporting their region goes into transportation and hotel bills for the 3 players being sent to represent their region.

Since there will be no added money for the kitty, a $200.00 entry fee would make a nice purse of $3200.00
PRICELESS!!!

The latter kind of defeats the original idea of a total member gathering, but it could work out.

Actually it could be done state by state and then we could have a big member tournament with one hell of a purse...

I also like the regional thing. West coast to some of the suggested areas can be tricky. Logical is always Chicago but I love that town and it's got direct flights from everywhere major.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
Both tournaments at Bogies worked out well and we can use that as a model. I think $200 entry fee and $25 green fees would work and I am sure Bogies would love to host it. I don't think we can ask for added $$ from them since they are already adding 2k to each senior tournament.

Tennessee or New Orleans would work too. I would think we could garner up some added money from some sponsors wherever we have it, and I would be willing to try and raise some once we get the rest of it figured out.

Thank you John, and if anyone can succeed at that, it would be you!

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire

PRICELESS!!!

I think four regional with one final location would be good, and and we'd have no one to blame but ourselves if turnout was low -- because it is us!!

For regions, how about

Florida
Texas
Chicago
Philly
CA

That's five... but basically, any four players anywhere could have a mini and send the winner, or 8 players and send 2, 12 and send 3 etc.

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I think four regional with one final location would be good, and and we'd have no one to blame but ourselves if turnout was low -- because it is us!!

For regions, how about

Florida
Texas
Chicago
Philly
CA

That's five... but basically, any four players anywhere could have a mini and send the winner, or 8 players and send 2, 12 and send 3 etc.

The entry fee for the qualifier would be how much Steve.... $100? I guess if you had a 6 player qualifier it would work, $600.00 would take care of a big portion of the total expenses, assuming whoever didn't fly 1st class and stay at a high $$$ hotel.

Of course the next thing would be to challenge AZ to have one of their own and then we could have our very own version of the Mosconi Cup.... The Forum Cup... Lol Top 4 players from each forum... Everybody plays everybody once for a total of 16 matches... $2500.00 entry fee per team winner take all... Heh heh

Last edited:

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
The entry fee for the qualifier would be how much Steve.... $100? I guess if you had a 6 player qualifier it would work, $600.00 would take care of a big portion of the total expenses, assuming whoever didn't fly 1st class and stay at a high $$$ hotel.

Of course the next thing would be to challenge AZ to have one of their own and then we could have our very own version of the Mosconi Cup.... The Forum Cup... Lol Top 4 players from each forum... Everybody plays everybody once for a total of 16 matches... $2500.00 entry fee per team winner take all... Heh heh

I am in for the social aspects of a 1P org tourney, but I have no interest in crowning a 1P org champion.

jtompilot

Verified Member
From
New Orleans
I was thinking this was a social event. $100 dollar entry is top money for a social event if we want to draw the maximum number of onepocket.org members. IMO

We can always vote for the room of choice and entry fee

Jeff sparks

Verified Member
From
Houston, Texas
I am in for the social aspects of a 1P org tourney, but I have no interest in crowning a 1P org champion.

Yep,
Me too John...
But I doubt we will be able to gather enough players from across the land who are willing to spend $500 to $700 for a social outing, without at least having a prize pool worth the trip. Even though the original idea was just that, come together, have a really nice dinner at a fun place, visit and meet members, have a few drinks and a few laughs, tell a few stories & just relax...

Then play a small entry fee tournament that would last two days, I thought $100.00 entry seemed reasonable, but I really don't care, it might as well be $10.00 for all I care... It's the gathering and the comraderie I was interested in originally. :)

LSJohn

Verified Member
From
monett missouri
Yep,
Me too John...
But I doubt we will be able to gather enough players from across the land who are willing to spend $500 to $700 for a social outing, without at least having a prize pool worth the trip.

Maybe not, but I do it every chance I get and I don't have a reasonable shot at ANY prize pool. $100 entry would probably let 3 guys almost make expenses if we paid 600/500/400 in a 16-man tournament. I would think there'd be several with a shot at 1, 2, or 3 who would go for it if the social aspects had appeal to them.

Even though the original idea was just that, come together, have a really nice dinner at a fun place, visit and meet members, have a few drinks and a few laughs, tell a few stories & just relax...

Then play a small entry fee tournament that would last two days, I thought $100.00 entry seemed reasonable, but I really don't care, it might as well be $10.00 for all I care... It's the gathering and the comraderie I was interested in originally. :)

Yep, and I'm still not ready to throw in the towel. :)

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Numbers

Numbers

So according to my count on this thread, there are 15 possible attendee's. Sounds like it might actually come to fruition should the pool room be decided on...
Don't worry about playing at Bill's place in Southaven, I am sure I might be able to have libations in my truck...LOL

Sounds like a great time, I had an excellent time in Houston and wasn't even part of the tournament...If I could have just beat LSJohn...:frus

B

one pocket guy

Verified Member
From
Arkansas (near Memphis Tn)
Southaven /Memphis

Southaven /Memphis

I called Rowsey this AM and told him about this. He was very interested in having it here. He's been Crazy busy in the last week but I told him to read this thread when he gets a minute and respond. ~T