How do you adjust for Diamond tables??

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
I know this has probably been discussed ad infinitum (you like that 😊), but I'm not sure where and I'm trying to mentally prepare for the Derby.

The thing is, we have all GC's in Philly and zero Diamond tables. Every year when I go to the derby, the balls fly like rockets off the rails and the cloth is way faster. So to compensate, my already choppy stroke gets 10 times uglier because I play so tentatively. So this year I want to have it in my mind ahead of time what I need to do to adjust my play. And especially my banks.

So please... If you would... How do you adjust from GC's to Diamonds???

Thanks very much!!

Mitch

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
get there as early as possible and spend as much time on the diamonds that you can practice on them to get a feel
or buy a diamond table to put in your house or at the pool room for free pool for life....:D
wish i knew the answer mitch......:sorry

wgcp

Verified Member
From
long beach, mississippi
Mitch

Mitch

Play on the fastest table you can find...with buckets for pockets...cause the Diamonds play fast and loose the first 3 or 4 days...

Play all of your banks 1/4 long or a ball past your normal shot on a gold crown...

Or have a Diamond at your house with cyclops balls to practice...

Bille

newfosgatesucks

Verified Member
For example-gold crown 3-rail kick coming short-cue ball has reverse-top if it hits rail 4. Diamond, it slides. Reason? Rail height is slightly diff.

To me the solution is working on shotmaking before you go. This will allow ample time for your short term memory to forget your position patterns and rely on more recent information as you practice when you get there.

The angles will be longer on the diamond with its shorter rail install height, and nearly level pitch. Initial rebound is closer to mirror and speed off the rail is increased as there is a greater mass of the rail in the line of motion of the cue ball, transferring more effectively the ratio of weight difference between the two.

On a gold crown, most medium stroke kick shots with high running English are executed on the diamond with 1/2 the English.

if you want to simulate the effect put a space heater below the table, removing moisture from the cloth. A wet diamond and a dry GC play similar IMO.

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl
For example-gold crown 3-rail kick coming short-cue ball has reverse-top if it hits rail 4. Diamond, it slides. Reason? Rail height is slightly diff.

To me the solution is working on shotmaking before you go. This will allow ample time for your short term memory to forget your position patterns and rely on more recent information as you practice when you get there.

The angles will be longer on the diamond with its shorter rail install height, and nearly level pitch. Initial rebound is closer to mirror and speed off the rail is increased as there is a greater mass of the rail in the line of motion of the cue ball, transferring more effectively the ratio of weight difference between the two.

On a gold crown, most medium stroke kick shots with high running English are executed on the diamond with 1/2 the English.

if you want to simulate the effect put a space heater below the table, removing moisture from the cloth. A wet diamond and a dry GC play similar IMO.

nfsg
this is the most analytical assessment of the difference between the 2 tables i have ever read

lll

Verified Member
From
vero beach fl

nfsg
this is the most analytical assessment of the difference between the 2 tables i have ever read
kudos.jpg

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
Another element at the Derby is super slick Cyclop balls. I bought a set last year as I found them a bit tricky to adjust to. Very elastic (bouncy) and because they are so slick, they don't gear up that much.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
the newer blue labels i have played on (teacher/rich's "bergman" and "quinn" tables and a table that gary lutman owns/leases out in maryville) the rails react like pin ball machine bumpers to me. of course, the guys that are able to play on them daily like them. diamonds are hands down the best set up pool tables ever made. i think that most can adjust to the basic bank angles with some time, but they definitely pick up spin off the rails - particularly the second rail - different.

i have a red label. here's a tidbit: apparently, diamond has a program where they will swap out your red label rails. the cost is very reasonable and not much (if any) more than getting a table re-done as is. i hope to get mine upgraded sometime reasonably soon.

just an amateur's two cents.

:)

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
the newer blue labels i have played on (teacher/rich's "bergman" and "quinn" tables and a table that gary lutman owns/leases out in maryville) the rails react like pin ball machine bumpers to me. of course, the guys that are able to play on them daily like them. diamonds are hands down the best set up pool tables ever made. i think that most can adjust to the basic bank angles with some time, but they definitely pick up spin off the rails - particularly the second rail - different.

i have a red label. here's a tidbit: apparently, diamond has a program where they will swap out your red label rails. the cost is very reasonable and not much (if any) more than getting a table re-done as is. i hope to get mine upgraded sometime reasonably soon.

just an amateur's two cents.

:)

"Best set up tables ever made?" Have you ever compared the superstructure of a Diamond to a GC?

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
Another element at the Derby is super slick Cyclop balls. I bought a set last year as I found them a bit tricky to adjust to. Very elastic (bouncy) and because they are so slick, they don't gear up that much.

the first year the cyclops were used, i picked up a set. i really like them now. cue ball stays freakishly clean. switching to something different is problematic for me now. aramiths play "heavier" to me. measles ball gives me fits - figueroa got so tired of hearing me bitch about it at olathe last month, he gave me one! lol.

(lsjohn thinks i'm crazy about this also.....:))

:D

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
"Best set up tables ever made?" Have you ever compared the superstructure of a Diamond to a GC?

you can sit a house on a diamond frame. it is beefy! (imo, most GCs are gaffy in some way or another.)

i'm far (very far) from a road tick, but i think that maybe red shoes in chicago has the only GCs where you can play from one to table to the next and they are all consistent....

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky
the first year the cyclops were used, i picked up a set. i really like them now. cue ball stays freakishly clean. switching to something different is problematic for me now. aramiths play "heavier" to me. measles ball gives me fits - figueroa got so tired of hearing me bitch about it at olathe last month, he gave me one! lol.

(lsjohn thinks i'm crazy about this also.....:))

:D

I have lived most of my life not worrying about ball sets and cue balls, but those slick Cyclop balls on new 860 with those bouncy Diamond cushions can give a guy fits. Luckily, the pockets play like a 2 dollar whore on dollar night.

Miller

Verified Member
From
East St. Louis Area
I have lived most of my life not worrying about ball sets and cue balls, but those slick Cyclop balls on new 860 with those bouncy Diamond cushions can give a guy fits. Luckily, the pockets play like a 2 dollar whore on dollar night.

good point and i hear ya. brumback banks out with a broom handle on any table with any balls.....

i don't have a motorcycle, sports car, bassboat, coach ball, etc...... i play one pocket when i can - and that's my release. just a nuance to pontificate over.....
:cool:

crabbcatjohn

Verified Member
From
Benton, Ky.
good point and i hear ya. brumback banks out with a broom handle on any table with any balls.....

i don't have a motorcycle, sports car, bassboat, coach ball, etc...... i play one pocket when i can - and that's my release. just a nuance to pontificate over.....
:cool:

I wonder if players like JB have their tables recovered a few weeks before Derby every year. That could certainly be a edge...

petie

Verified Member
From
Citrus Springs, FL
For me the best way to adapt to any conditions, and they are all different, is to not think about it too much. Your muscle memory will adapt if you don't get in it's way. Whenever I have gone to DCC and played on those really great tables that roll perfect and with the balls they have, I have immediately gone up a notch in my shooting. I believe it is precisely because they are giving 100% honest feedback to all of your senses including your brain. A bad rolling table is giving a certain percentage of 'lies' as feedback. This confuses your senses and prevents them from focusing in on, and therefore learning from or adjusting to, true results of a given shot.

NH Steve

Administrator
From
New Hampshire
My impression is that the biggest difference is in the rails and to me it boils down to this -- the Diamonds are more speed sensitive in their rebound angles than any other tables I have played on. Meaning, on softly hit banks, Diamonds open up more than GC's do; on firmly hit banks, Diamonds shorten up more than GC's.

Mkbtank

Verified Member
From
Philly Pa
How do you adjust for Diamond tables??

My impression is that the biggest difference is in the rails and to me it boils down to this -- the Diamonds are more speed sensitive in their rebound angles than any other tables I have played on. Meaning, on softly hit banks, Diamonds open up more than GC's do; on firmly hit banks, Diamonds shorten up more than GC's.

Thank you Steve.

straightback

Verified Member
From
owensboro, ky

Dunno about that one. Perhaps your observation that Diamond tables open up on soft banks is due to the fact those tables also have new cloth and slick balls.